Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-08-2002, 06:34 PM   #1
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

I'm confused..so is this $88 mil IN ADDITION to the $475 mil she was awarded last year??

Anna Nicole Smith Gets $88 Million

SANTA ANA, Calif. (AP) - A federal judge awarded former Playboy Playmate Anna Nicole Smith more than $88 million in damages Thursday in the latest ruling in a bitter legal fight over the estate of her late husband, Texas oil tycoon J. Howard Marshall II.

U.S. District Court Judge David O. Carter ruled Thursday that Marshall's son, E. Pierce Marshall, had interfered with Smith's attempt to get part of her late husband's oil fortune, estimated at hundreds of million of dollars.

``The evidence of willfulness, maliciousness and fraud is overwhelming,'' Carter wrote.

He found that E. Pierce Marshall and others spied on the couple and controlled his father's access to money to deny Smith the sums she was promised.

E. Pierce Marshall released a statement saying he would appeal and that his father ``would be appalled that the district court continued to ignore his clearly stated wishes.''

Thursday's ruling came after E. Pierce Marshall challenged a previous federal bankruptcy court decision that awarded Smith $475 million of his father's money.

Smith, 33, has fought lengthy court battles in California and Texas over the fortune of her late husband, who died at age 90 in August 1995, 14 months after they wed.

The former Playboy Playmate, whose real name is Vickie Lynn Marshall, met her husband in 1991 when she was working as a stripper. The couple married three years later when she was 26 and he was 89.

Before his death, his estate went into a trust that divided his fortune among charities, a foundation, his son and other individuals, but gave nothing to Smith. She sued E. Pierce Marshall to get part of it.

Carter's ruling said Smith had a reasonable expectation that she would receive a portion of her husband's estate and that she would receive it without interference.

``J. Howard made numerous promises to Vickie that she would receive half of what he owned,'' Carter said in his ruling.

He said Smith was entitled to $44.3 million in punitive damages and the same amount in compensatory damages against E. Pierce Marshall, who controls the trust established by his late father.

``This is a complete victory for my client, and I think it's a victory for a husband's love for his wife,'' said Smith's attorney, Philip Boesch.

He said his client ``was subjected to the worst kind of legal maneuvering by her son-in-law.''

Marshall and Smith were absent when the ruling was issued.

A year ago, a Texas jury concluded Smith had no right to any money.

Source: Anna Nicole Smith Gets $88 Million
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-08-2002, 06:49 PM   #2
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

Oh he loved her alright.
Old 03-08-2002, 06:51 PM   #3
djb
Administrator

djb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond reputedjb has a reputation beyond repute

Would you shack up with a 90-year-old for $88-400+ million? OH HELLS YEA!
djb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 06:55 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

any rich women on the board?..i guess i've already blown my chance at that
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 07:12 PM   #5
Chris

Chris is on a distinguished road

DJ, think about this. A 90-year old woman, all old and wrinkly and falling apart, who only wants you for one reason, and you have to spend an entire year with them? I mean, maybe you tell yourself you can do it, and maybe you can, but I think, in the end, I'd have to abstain from whoring myself out to any geezers.
Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 07:41 PM   #6
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Toughen up, Chris.

How much do you think that 90-year-old was geezin' anyway?

At that point it's basically about changing diapers--nothing more.

<run: i/ironydetector.exe>
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 10:07 PM   #7
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

I would of married him for 88million...no questions asked..
Old 03-08-2002, 10:49 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Whats the over/under on Joe Joe saying he knows Anna Nicole Smith?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2002, 03:36 AM   #9
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

There is no way I could it. The thought makes me ill. Someone's life (someone really important to me - like if I had a child) would have to be on the line. I guess she had already figured out how to "toughen up" though if she was a stripper.