Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-20-2004, 03:33 PM   #1
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road
Default If I was in Cuban shoes, I would.......

This is how my current roster would look before entertaining trades and FA's....

1) Nash - resign
2) Daniels - resign
3) Finley
4) Fortson
5) Howard
6) Jamison
7) Bradley
8) Najera
9) Nowitzki
10) Walker
11) Delk
12) TAW

I would not resign or cut..

Best - Stefansson - Williams

I resign Nash a little under the max for 5 years. I resign Daniels, but it cost me half of my exception to keep him.

I then sign 1 FA that is not a BIG name but is a guy that will be a great role player off the bench. I think that one of the big problems we've had in the past is we get too many big names who need the ball in the hands and don't do enough of the other things to warrant alot of PT. So armed with half of the big exception and land this guy..

Eric Williams - FA - Cleveland

This guy would be a really good role player that could come off the bench and provide good energy with good basketball skills to go with that (that the difference between Williams and Najera). He doesn't need 20 shots a game to make an impact and he always seems to pester the other team.

On from there I make 3 trades this offseason....

TRADE #1[
Dallas trades:
SF Eduardo Najera (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 12.4 minutes)
PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 34.6 minutes)

Dallas receives:
PF Tyson Chandler (6.1 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 22.4 minutes)
SF Eddie Robinson (6.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.1 minutes)
PF Antonio Davis (8.8 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.1 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +4.6 ppg, +7.1 rpg, and -1.4 apg.

Chicago trades:
PF Tyson Chandler (6.1 ppg, 7.7 rpg, 0.7 apg in 22.4 minutes)
SF Eddie Robinson (6.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 20.1 minutes)
PF Antonio Davis (8.8 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 32.1 minutes)

Chicago receives:
SF Eduardo Najera (3.0 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.4 apg in 58 games)
PF Antoine Walker (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
PF Tariq Abdul-Wahad (14.0 ppg, 8.3 rpg, 4.5 apg in 82 games)
Change in team outlook: -4.6 ppg, -7.1 rpg, and +1.4 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED (verified through RealGM)

I really don't see much action from other teams to get there hands on Walker. But I'm sure Chicago is ready to dump some of there young talent and maybe some other over priced veterens to give them some room to make some different aquisitions. We basically trade our trash for there trash in Robinson and TAW. We finally get rid of the albotross that is TAW and get an athletic swingman who can contribute off the bench. Davis gives us some more frontline help and would play mostly at center. But the hidden gem may be Chandler. This guy was finally getting it last year before his injury. I'm actually suprised that there are rumors of Chicago wanting to dump him. PLEASE, PLEASE...dump him on Dallas. I would gladly take that young kid and let him blossom under Nellies system..
Do I really think this trade can happen? NO ....but anythings possible.

TRADE #2
Dallas trades:
PF Danny Fortson (3.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.2 apg in 11.1 minutes)

Dallas receives:
C Alonzo Mourning (8.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17.9 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +4.1 ppg, -2.2 rpg, and +0.5 apg.

New Jersey trades:
C Alonzo Mourning (8.0 ppg, 2.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 17.9 minutes)
New Jersey receives:
PF Danny Fortson (3.9 ppg, 4.5 rpg, 0.2 apg in 56 games)
Change in team outlook: -4.1 ppg, +2.2 rpg, and -0.5 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Dallas doesn't need Fortson anymore with the addition of Williams. And NJ would atleast be getting a player back that could contribute for them in the East. I think we all know that Fortson would be best suited in the East. And we get Mourning back to stash on the IR incase he decides on a comback. We really don't lose or gain much. Both players have the same remaining years left and they make the same money. I think both teams get a good deal especially where both teams sit with both of there players.

TRADE #3
Dallas trades:
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 15.4 minutes)

Dallas receives:
SG Jon Barry (6.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.6 apg in 19.3 minutes)
Change in team outlook: +0.2 ppg, +0.4 rpg, and +1.7 apg.

Denver trades:
SG Jon Barry (6.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 2.6 apg in 19.3 minutes)

Denver receives:
PG Tony Delk (6.0 ppg, 1.8 rpg, 0.9 apg in 33 games)
Change in team outlook: -0.2 ppg, -0.4 rpg, and -1.7 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Now first off, this would be a S&T deal to get Barry here. Anybody who has watched Jon Barry's game when he was in Detroit and last year with Denver knows this guy is a gamer and would fit in great with this team. Delk still would be a nice option to have on the bench and as far as point production they both bring the same thing to the table but Barry has more intangibles to help put Dallas over the top.

OK so lets recap...

we dump or move in trade...

Best -- Stefansson -- Williams -- Walker -- Najera -- TAW -- Fortson -- Delk

we added in either FA's or by trade...

E. Williams -- A. Davis -- Robinson -- Chandler -- Mourning (IR) -- Barry (S&T)

...now that's NOT big names, BUT these guys could make up a GREAT bench and could spot start when needed. All these guys bring intagibles to the table that would mesh really good with players that are still on the roster..

<u>Roster Breakdown</u>

PG - Nash - Daniels
SG- Finley - Howard - Barry
SF- Jamison - Chandler - Robinson
PF- Nowitzki - Williams
C- Davis - Bradley

IR - Mourning (and leave 2 spots)

...I would love to go to war... er...umm... I mean to a game with this roster..

Thoughts?

Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2004, 03:52 PM   #2
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of
Default RE:If I was in Cuban shoes, I would.......

For the most part this seems pretty good. Denver won't be trading Jon Barry for Tony Delk though. I like Eric Williams, and thought he did a great job in Cleveland this year. However, I'm not sure if Daniels will only be taking half of the MLE. Maybe we can convince him to take something small until we get his Bird Rights.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 04:24 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: If I was in Cuban shoes, I would.......

Daniels will probably take more than half the MLE, but even if we do have room left over, another SF is not even close to being what we need. Even if that was a need, we've already got one stuck on the IL who's just as good as Williams.

Can't see what the purpose would be in trading away Fortson for Mourning. Zo's done. Better off just keeping Danny. Delk for Barry wouldn't happen either.

Any trade that turns Walker into the kind of frontcourt help this team needs is fine with me, though I don't think this one would be accepted by Chicago. They'd probably rather just buy out ER than take on Tariq.
Old 05-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #4
cheesestar
Golden Member

cheesestar will become famous soon enough

i dont think denver will accept jon barry for delk either, it helps us out too much and gives them a lot less and i do not see any reason to trade for zo. he is most likely done and porbably will not return andn i think danny can be a real stopper and rebounder
cheesestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 06:00 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

If I were in Cuban's shoes, I would:

1. Fire Nellie
2. Trade Walker
3. Try and move either Jamison or Finley
4. Sign Nash and Daniels
5. Ban Cuban from attending any Mavs games.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 08:29 PM   #6
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

If I were in Cuban's shoes I would either:

a) get a haircut, or

b) leave the haircut alone and enter "frankenstein lookalike contest", or

c) leave the haircut alone and enter a "moe howard lookalike contest," and

d) trade walker...
Old 05-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #7
cheesestar
Golden Member

and if i were in a mavs fan's shoes i would rather that you get rid of walker. i could care less about your hair
Old 05-20-2004, 08:34 PM   #8
cheesestar
Golden Member

woops double post
Old 05-21-2004, 03:02 AM   #9
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

If Chandler can't play C/PF on the Mavs, then why get him? He is not an answer for us a SF.
uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 03:30 AM   #10
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

Leave the coaching to the coaches (and some selected fans at D-M.com)

and

trade Walker

give Nash a lot of money

find a couple of guys who can play defense

buy the rights to broadcast all Mav games on the Web and air them without charging the fans anything

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 08:35 AM   #11
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

If I was in Cuban's shoes, I would.........

1) Resign Nash and Daniels - see what of the MLE I had left
2) Trade Walker
3) Make sure I got 2 Centers, one athletic shotblocking type, and one backup Banger (so a Center will always have to be on the court)
4) Get a defensive, backup PG/SG, that can spot up shoot the 3 very efficiently.
5) Hire/Consult/Conclude what the defensive problems are, and fix them, or fix the coach
6) Spend two weeks on Vacation in Maui with Nellie, and work out whatever problems are there: in a game of Quarters with him
7) Get someone to change the hairstyle

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 12:50 PM   #12
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

I would . . .

1) Sign Nash
2) Sign Daniels for the entire MLE (with wink that tells him that all his financial worries are gone).
3) Find a way to move Walker, Finley & Bradley for a credible big man
4) Get Dirk some assertiveness-training
5) Shave all my hair to stop all the annoying Moe Howard comparisons only to be replaced by equally-annoying Curley ones.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 12:59 PM   #13
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

1) Get rid of Walker by trade preferably, but get rid of him at all costs
2) Fire Nellie
3) Resign Nash and Daniels
4) Look to trade Fin or Jamison
5) Get best defensive center available
Old 05-21-2004, 01:19 PM   #14
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: If I was in Cuban shoes, I would.......

1) Resign Quis
2) Find the best possible deal for Walker that makes sense for the franchise and get it done
3) Don't make any other trades using rotation players under contract unless at the very least the talent is even AND the positional/playing-style fit is an improvement
4) Resign Nash or get a good S&T deal
5) If it makes sense given the other roster changes sign Avery as a player coach, and fill out frontcourt as needed in free agency
Old 05-21-2004, 01:37 PM   #15
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
1) Get rid of Walker by trade preferably, but get rid of him at all costs
2) Fire Nellie
3) Resign Nash and Daniels
4) Look to trade Fin or Jamison
5) Get best defensive center available
Judging by most of your posts, I'm surprised "Fire Nellie" isn't #1. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 06:23 PM   #16
cheesestar
Golden Member

well what is more important to this team? nellie leaving or walk leaving? imo its a close race[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]