Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 06-04-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sun-Times Article with Mavs mention...

Link

Curry deal might be on fast track

June 4, 2004

BY LACY J. BANKS Staff Reporter

Bulls operations chief John Paxson appears to be shifting his stance regarding the timing of a contract extension for center Eddy Curry, who will be eligible for a long-term deal Aug. 1.

Paxson had maintained he would wait until after next season to address the issue. Curry would become a restricted free agent on July 1, 2005, and the Bulls would be able to match any offer after letting the market dictate Curry's value. That's what Paxson did with guard Jamal Crawford, who will become a restricted free agent July 1.

But the Bulls have made it known that the 6-11, 285-pound Curry, who just concluded his third season, is considered the cornerstone of the franchise. He has impressed management with his offseason conditioning thus far, and that might play a role in what happens when he becomes eligible for an extension.

''I would like to think we could get something done because you would like to have something like that done and over with,'' Paxson said Thursday. ''That way, you'd know who you're going to be working with for years to come.

''We have until August to really evaluate if we want to extend him. If he gives me good reason to go out and really pin him down, it would be good for him and good for us. We're sitting in the same position with Jamal, but big guys have more value.''

Previously, the possibility of an extension for Curry was linked with the possibility of one for forward Tyson Chandler. But Chandler, who might be traded, suffered back problems and appeared in only 35 games this season. So Paxson doesn't necessarily face the prospect of two long-term deals, even though Chandler has been working hard at the Berto Center to get stronger.

The prospect of locking up Curry, who is without an agent, to a lucrative contract extension likely will affect any trades Paxson will make this summer. A deal with the Dallas Mavericks for Michael Finley, Antawn Jamison or Antoine Walker appears unlikely because of the contracts involved. No discussions between the teams have taken place.

One player the Bulls are interested in is the Indiana Pacers' Al Harrington, who is available. Harrington is a 6-9, 250-pound small forward who was the runner-up to Jamison for Sixth Man of the Year. Harrington, who averaged 13.3 points and 6.4 rebounds, wants to start, and that doesn't appear to be likely with Ron Artest on the Pacers. Artest also might be available.

''If there is the opportunity for [Harrington] to be a starter here, that would be great,'' Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. ''And if there isn't, then it may be time for him to move on to another team.''

Harrington has only two years and $13.3 million remaining on his contract, which is a bargain, but the Bulls still might hesitate to deal the No. 3 pick in the draft for him. The Bulls would be able to unload a contract, perhaps that of forward Eddie Robinson or forward Scottie Pippen.

The Pacers also might be interested in Golden State Warriors center Erick Dampier.

NOTE: The Bulls on Saturday will work out Peoria Central standout Shaun Livingston, who's considered a top-10 draft prospect on the rise.

Old 06-04-2004, 10:26 AM   #2
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Sun-Times Article with Mavs mention...

I can understand not wanting to take on Finley or Jamison's contract, but I would think they'd be tempted with Walker's.

Yeah, they'd be losing Chandler, but they could be dumping one of the other nasty contracts.
Old 06-04-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Sun-Times Article with Mavs mention...

All I want is the No. 3 pick. I'd take on Davis, or Robinson and Pippen, or J. Williams and Pippen, to get the No. 3 pick in exchange for Walker.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:04 AM   #4
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
All I want is the No. 3 pick. I'd take on Davis, or Robinson and Pippen, or J. Williams and Pippen, to get the No. 3 pick in exchange for Walker.
And with that pick you would choose?

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:24 AM   #5
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

We would definitely chose either Pavel or Ramos.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 11:38 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

Based on what I currently know, I'd take Pavel.
Old 06-04-2004, 11:48 AM   #7
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: kg_veteran
Amen!!! Seriously, this would be a good deal for both teams I believe.
Old 06-04-2004, 02:07 PM   #8
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: bcrav4
We would definitely chose either Pavel or Ramos.
From what I've read, Ramos is available much later than the top 5. Earliest I think he will go is 13 or so. You would have to be in the top 5 to get a shot at Pavel.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:15 PM   #9
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

I think Pavel would be a good choice. But the only major drwaback I see is if Don Nelson was his coach. Pavel when drafted needs a coach who will put him on the blocks all the time. He needs someone that will push him to use his size defensively. Can you see Nelson doing that?
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 02:41 PM   #10
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

It's becoming more obvious just how avoided those big money contracts are.

Sure, Walker might have appeal to Chicago, but it will mean Dallas taking back the same big money. Does Dallas still want to do that?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 04:55 PM   #11
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:

KG im definitely with you on this one. It would be very nice to see one of these trade scenarios pan out so we could acquire Pavel.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2004, 05:01 PM   #12
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

My only question is whether the Bulls really want Walker or Jamison. They can't really want the No. 3 pick, because it puts them in a position to draft something they don't really want or need -- a project center (Pavel) or some other high school player (Howard, Livingston). Sure, they could take Luol Deng, but is that what they really need? A young SF who could be really good or could be really average? They could take Ben Gordon, but do they really need another combo guard? Perhaps that would allow them to move Crawford, but No. 3 seems really high to take Gordon.

In other words, I see the Bulls trading down or trading the pick, one way or the other. It's just a question of whether Dallas gets the pick or not.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:48 PM   #13
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Quote:
But the Bulls have made it known that the 6-11, 285-pound Curry, who just concluded his third season, is considered the cornerstone of the franchise
WHat has this clown done in 3 years to make him qualified to be the cornerstone of anything? The only franchise he could be a cornerstone for is a Burger King.

I don't get the infatuation with Curry. I think he'd be a nice addition to the Mavs b/c very little would be expected of him (especially offensively). I've yet to be impressed.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:32 PM   #14
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
My only question is whether the Bulls really want Walker or Jamison. They can't really want the No. 3 pick, because it puts them in a position to draft something they don't really want or need -- a project center (Pavel) or some other high school player (Howard, Livingston). Sure, they could take Luol Deng, but is that what they really need? A young SF who could be really good or could be really average? They could take Ben Gordon, but do they really need another combo guard? Perhaps that would allow them to move Crawford, but No. 3 seems really high to take Gordon.

In other words, I see the Bulls trading down or trading the pick, one way or the other. It's just a question of whether Dallas gets the pick or not.
This is dead on. Add to this -- Have they really given up on Chandler, and what can they get for him, and you have the situation in Chicago.

Known -- they want rid of ERob.
Probable -- may want to move ADavis, JWillams. (all of this is fan speculation because they are overpaid)

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:14 PM   #15
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I just have this weird feeling that the Bulls sit still and take Deng. I don't know if it's the best move. I just think that's what they'll end up doing.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:31 PM   #16
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
I think Pavel would be a good choice. But the only major drwaback I see is if Don Nelson was his coach. Pavel when drafted needs a coach who will put him on the blocks all the time. He needs someone that will push him to use his size defensively. Can you see Nelson doing that?
I AM FREAKIN TIRED OF #1THINKING THIS MYSELF #2READING OTHER PEOPLE SAYING IT AND #3 IT BEING SO STINKING TRUE!!!!!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote