Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 06-07-2004, 09:45 PM   #1
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold
Default Oh Coach-san.

Parcells apologizes for 'inappropriate' remarks

STEPHEN HAWKINS / Associated Press
Posted: 21 minutes ago

IRVING, Texas (AP) — Dallas Cowboys coach Bill Parcells apologized for calling the surprise plays used in practice "Jap plays," saying the remark was inappropriate.

Parcells was talking Monday to reporters at the team's minicamp about how his quarterbacks coach and defensive coordinator try to outdo each other when he made the comment, an apparent reference to Japan's 1941 attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii.

"You've got to keep an eye on those two, because they're going to try to get the upper hand," Parcells said about Sean Payton and Mike Zimmer. "Mike wants the defense to do well, and Sean, he's going to have a few ... no disrespect for the Orientals, but what we call Jap plays. OK, surprise things."

Akira Kuboshima, the editor of Japan's American Football Magazine who was in the room, said he wasn't offended but believed some people would be. He also said he was surprised more by the reaction of other reporters than the comment.

"There is a lot of chance for someone to feel offended," Kuboshima said. "To me, it was no big deal."

Cowboys spokesman Rich Dalrymple apologized on behalf of the organization, and Parcells later issued a statement.

"I made a very inappropriate reference, and although I prefaced it with the remark, 'no disrespect to anyone intended,' it was still uncalled for and inconsiderate," Parcells said in the statement. "For that I apologize to anyone who may have been offended."

The remark was only part of Parcells' 45-minute session with reporters, in which he also talked about the team's quarterback competition and some of the new players.

After three straight 5-11 seasons, the Cowboys went 10-6 and reached the playoffs in their first year under Parcells. Still, he expects better in 2004.

"That doesn't mean we'll win more games," Parcells said. "That just means I think from head to toe that we have a chance to be better."

Wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson, who had two of his Pro Bowl seasons for Parcells while with the New York Jets, came to Dallas in a trade with Tampa Bay.

Vinny Testaverde was reunited with his old coach last week, leaving the Jets as a free agent. The 40-year-old quarterback will compete for the starting job with incumbent Quincy Carter and serve as a mentor to Drew Henson, who was added this spring after he quit professional baseball.

"These guys that were here last year, they've already bought into it. From that alone, we'll be a better team," running back Richie Anderson said. "We already know what to expect. He's not going to allow certain things to happen or go on."

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE:Oh Coach-san.

I knew he would get roasted when he said it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 10:03 PM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I've always liked Parcells, but this was pointless--it sounded dumb on a Knightian scale.

Old 06-07-2004, 11:16 PM   #4
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

I hate our PC society. Yes, there are some things that shouldn't be said. Some things should be avoided. I didn't think this was that bad though. My apologies to any who were offended.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2004, 11:25 PM   #5
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: ddh33
I hate our PC society. Yes, there are some things that shouldn't be said. Some things should be avoided. I didn't think this was that bad though. My apologies to any who were offended.
"Yeah!" the collective Japanese people cheered as news of ddh33's apology quickly spread round the globe [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 06:48 AM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, our PC world that we live in beats me down and beats me down hard.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 07:58 AM   #7
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future
Default RE: Oh Coach-san.

this really has nothing to do with being politically correct.

go look up the context of the word "Jap" and how its been used historically. after you've done that we can attempt to have some kind of coherent and meaningful dialogue. i honestly hope its just a few of you not really being educated on the historical context of this particular slur.

that said, i think the only thing Parcells was guilty of is like many of you he just didn't understand the context of the word that he was using. the word "Jap" is a very harmful and hurtful word in the history of Asian American culture. its the Asian equivalent of the "N" word for Blacks.

however if you knew the context of the word Jap and still thought it was ok, then i'd think you'd also be ok with calling someone a Gook, Chink, or Wetback.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 08:52 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 11:17 AM   #9
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

I knew this would come out sometime whether it was yesterday or today. Aex, you mind filling me in here? How does the word "Jap" equivalent the N word? I'm not really familiar with the word but isn't that more of a abbreviation of a word rather than the N word being a whole different meaning then the world african american but i'm thinking that the reason people would get upset is because there is a meaning behind the word that i'm not familiar with. I hate when guys I respect and like come out in public and stick their foot in their mouths. Junior Seau has done this 2 times and I hope this is the last for Parcells.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #10
Drbio
Banned

AEx is right on the money. "Jap" is a derogatory term intended to defame in exactly the same manner as the "N-word". The difference is that the US in the past grew up in a culture where the word "Jap" was perfectly acceptable (the Pearl Harbor era and beyond). Of course, for a long while so was the "N-word". There are strong parallels.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:35 PM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The major difference, though, is that the way Bill used the word "jap" was not in reference to someone's race but rather as a verb, meaning "to surprise," referring to what the Japanese did at Pearl Harbor. That's an action, something that happened, a fact. It's not a derogatory judgment call, as the N-word would be.

Major difference. Unless you want to revise history in the name of political correctness, that is.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Won't argue much with that. But, it is an inflammatory term and should not be used. He could have portrayed his intentions without using "Jap". But there are strong parallels with both terms.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:40 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
Won't argue much with that. But, it is an inflammatory term and should not be used. He could have portrayed his intentions without using "Jap". But there are strong parallels with both terms.
he should have simply called it a surprise play....which he did.....this is old already...he apologized its over...move on.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 12:44 PM   #14
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
True enough. It was definitely uncalled for, in this day and age. I think it's important to note, though, that Bill probably meant no harm in saying what he did. As AE said, he just misunderstood everything about the term, surely. And I don't know how anyone could use the n-word without some harm intended.

Old 06-08-2004, 12:55 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

I 100% agree that PArcells meant absolutely no disrespect at all. It is very clear that he intended no offense, but I also think it was clear he knew the term was uncomfortable at best since he prefaced his remarks the way he did.

I'm willing to give him a pass, but I didn't think anyone should just brush off AEx's post as he made an insightful point.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:32 PM   #16
Jeremiah

Jeremiah will become famous soon enough

And I'm more offended that he called people "Orientals!"

He did use it as a reference to a nationality, choosing to describe a surprise play and a surprise attack with the Japanese. It was ignorant.

$%^&#$ Occidental.
Old 06-08-2004, 01:59 PM   #17
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

He used the term "Jap plays" with 'Jap' as an adjective, not a verb. But that makes no difference whatsoever as to whether the term had a despective/pejorative dimension to its etymology. It did. It does. He should have known better. Hopefully he got a little bit smarter yesterday.

I agree that he probably didn't mean to insult anyone, and that his apology should pretty much be the end to the story (which rivals Iverson's handicapped parking infraction in salacious value).

On the other hand, it's kinda sad, kinda dumbfounding to think that a man who has advanced as far in his profession as Parcells has didn't know any better. Could you imagine Jimmy Johnson telling Tony Casillas to run a 'spic stunt'? I don't think so.

Ironic, too, that Parcells has one of the few Asian-American players (Dat Nguyen) in the NFL on his team. You just hope that Parcells isn't sitting around in the film room with Zimmer designing 'gook blitzes' or 'coon rushes' or 'homo zone defenses" especially for Jeremy Shockey. (Okay, I might understand that one.)

You're not......right, Bill?
Old 06-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #18
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Mavkiki, I was thinking the same thing. I wonder what other plays does he have in this playbook of his.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 03:21 PM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: MavKikiNYC
He used the term "Jap plays" with 'Jap' as an adjective, not a verb. But that makes no difference whatsoever as to whether the term had a despective/pejorative dimension to its etymology. It did. It does.
It's this kind of misunderstanding that got Bill into more trouble than he should have been in. No, Bill did not use the word "Jap" as an adjective, as in "short for Japanese." Yes, he did use it as a verb, jap, as in "to surprise."

To set the grammatical record straight, "jap play" is a adjectival construction with some understood parts. In other words, it's the same as "a play where we jap them" or "a play to jap." It's no different than "run play" (play where we run the ball), "pass play" (play where we pass), or "blitz play" (play where we blitz). It's the same as when you go to the track and buy a "win ticket." That's a "ticket to win" that you are buying. In all these cases, the verbs (run, pass, blitz, win, jap) are still verbs. The clause they are a part of is serving an adjectival function in the sentence.

That's an important difference. It's important because the word "Jap" when used in reference to an Asian does indeed have a pejorative connotation (similar to the n-word, as discussed above). But "jap," meaning "to surprise," only has a negative connotation to those who are way too sensitive. Why? Again, because it simply describes something that DID happen. The Japanese did suprise the Americans at Pearl Harbor. If they as a nation feel some shame about that, then that's another story altogether.

The Germans gave us "blitz," for that matter. They don't take offense every time the word is used.

And why doesn't the term "kamikaze" have a similar connotation to what was assigned Bill yesterday?

Old 06-08-2004, 03:25 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

I can answer the kamikaze question having lived in Japan for five years. Families who had kamikaze pilots that served were revered in Japan. Being a kamizake was a huge honor for the men who comitted to that service. There is absolutely no way to relate kamikaze and "jap", which is derogatory at best and inflammatory and offensive at worst.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #21
MavsFanatik33
Platinum Member

MavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura aboutMavsFanatik33 has a spectacular aura about

Always have to make everyone happy, god bless america...
MavsFanatik33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 03:31 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Let me be the first to say in this thread that political correctness sucks balls.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #23
chumdawg
Guru

Probably the most telling part of this whole ordeal is that the Japanese reporter was the least offended person in the room. Oh, how do I feel sorry for the Americans (the PC crod) who feel it is their responsibility to be the moral arbiters for the world.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:49 PM   #24
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

would it still be ok if parcells had used the phrase "n****r" play?

would it still be ok if parcells had used the phrase "gook" play?

does it make it any less ok if he had used the phrase "sand monkey" play?

or "fa**ot" play? where's the line? what makes this less ok than any other ethnic slur used?

just because we don't hear the term "Jap" as often in our vocabulary doesn't make it any less ok to utter the phrase.

the bottom line is he used a derogatory term that has no use in our every day vocabulary. no matter how you try to spin it or justify it, the term Jap is a very hateful word with a terrible historical connotation. to simply dismiss it as a positive thing, or try to spin it as some kind of adjective is really silly. its a term that was used to imprison thousands of japanese american during the second world war and deny fundamental civil rights.

as an asian american, it makes my blood boil just as much as hearing somebody call me a chink or gook. i would quit trying to defend parcells in this case and just agree that it was a bad idea for him to say "Jap".

at best it was stupid, at worst it was an extreme case of ignorance.
Old 06-08-2004, 03:51 PM   #25
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
Probably the most telling part of this whole ordeal is that the Japanese reporter was the least offended person in the room. Oh, how do I feel sorry for the Americans (the PC crod) who feel it is their responsibility to be the moral arbiters for the world.
the japanese reporter has no business speaking for the asian american experience today. he didn't grow up in america with other people calling him chink, gook, and slanty eyes. he never had anybody question how he could see out of his eyes. namely because he grew up in society with other individuals who generally looked like him and shared similar cultural values.

so yes, i have every right to be a moral arbiter.

while im editing this post, i might as well keep ranting on my soapbox. racial slurs by their very origin are used as a way to belittle minority members and oppress them by mentally degrading their existence. when stupid, ignorant people like mickey spagnola or norm hitzghes on the ticket talk about finding more important things to talk about, i pity them. when spagnola tries to compare the use of the phrase "Jap" to the portrayal of Itallians in the Sorprano's it makes me want to dually cry and beat them at the same time. his ignorance on meaningful social issues reflects our general population's ignorance on civil rights and the problems that face minorities in america today. while i don't believe parcells had any negative intent, some of the staunch defense of the use "Jap" continues to astound me.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:02 PM   #26
chumdawg
Guru

I can appreciate that, AEX. But I still think you are looking for a slur where no slur was spoken.

Would it have been different if he had said "Japanese plays?" Or "Japanese-style plays?" Or "plays that will sneak up on you like the Japanese snuck up on Pearl Harbor?" Is that still a slur? Maybe so, but I don't see it.

Doc, that's what I meant by comparing it to "kamikaze." What about: this guy is a receiver who will fearlessly go across the middle, giving himself up like a kamikaze pilot.

Both expressions are analogies. I've heard "jap" used as "to sneak up on" in different contexts before, and I never realized it was widely considered to be a derogatory term.

I just heard the quote again on the radio. Parcells said "jap plays, sneaky things." I dunno...
Old 06-08-2004, 04:05 PM   #27
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
I can appreciate that, AEX. But I still think you are looking for a slur where no slur was spoken.

Would it have been different if he had said "Japanese plays?" Or "Japanese-style plays?" Or "plays that will sneak up on you like the Japanese snuck up on Pearl Harbor?" Is that still a slur? Maybe so, but I don't see it.

Doc, that's what I meant by comparing it to "kamikaze." What about: this guy is a receiver who will fearlessly go across the middle, giving himself up like a kamikaze pilot.

Both expressions are analogies. I've heard "jap" used as "to sneak up on" in different contexts before, and I never realized it was widely considered to be a derogatory term.

I just heard the quote again on the radio. Parcells said "jap plays, sneaky things." I dunno...

i'll try to explain this without getting more agitated and angry than i currently am.

"Jap" in and of itself is a racial slur. Just like N****r. Just like Spic. Just like Wetback. Just like Gook.

Whether I call something a Jap play or a Spic blitz or a Wetback zone, the use of a racial slur has no place in our vocabulary. Before you speak out about something and fall into the mindless opinion that most of the Ticket holds, go do some research on how hurtful that phrase and ethnic slurs are in general.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:08 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

I'm finding it hard to find the words.......

The use of kamikaze implies an honor. The use of the words "jap" intended or not is patently derogatory in nature.

Please...accept Parcells apology and let's quit trying to justify or make it ok that he used the term. It was offensive to many.

Personally, I do not like political correctness. it is a crock of horsepoo. However, I think Parcells used poor judgement in using that term which can only be received as a deragotory term. He knew it when he said it otherwise he would not have qualified his remark twice. He had to be thinking "Oh crap" when the reporters responded with whispers and facial expressions. He knew it immediately. He made a poor judgement. I accept his apology and explanation. I still do not think he intended to be offensive, but certainly he used a racial slur.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:09 PM   #29
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

The N word and the word in question here are 2 different things. The N word for starters doesn't describe black people so let's get that out of the way. The impression I get from the word is that it was shortened for the word japanese.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 04:14 PM   #30
Drbio
Banned

Please expand on your comment that the N-word does not describe black people. Unless you mean it is not a nationality descriptor or somesuch, I am confused at where you are coming from.

Jap is derived from Japanese as you stated. However, it is a very offensive slang slur. It was created as a word of disrespect and hate long ago and reflected a hatred of the Japanese people. Think about the aura of that time....Japanese Americans were placed in war camps. Would we today coin the phrase "Bics" and imprison all Arabic Americans?

It's a slur. Period. There is no value to slurs. The N-word is not greater than Spic or Wop or honky or Jap or any other slur. They are all equally poor in taste.

Old 06-08-2004, 04:15 PM   #31
Jeremiah

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 01:02 PM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 04:16 PM   #32
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
The term dates as far back as the 1870s, according to historian Ronald Takaki, a professor at the University of California at Berkeley, who quoted a Hawaiian plantation manager as saying that disobedient "Japs" should be whipped because "this class of people has no feelings except through the hide."

It gained popularity in the 1920s when white farmers successfully pushed the government to pass laws halting Japanese immigration and land ownership. Though unenforced, Florida is one of two states that still have this "Alien Land Law" on its books.

During World War II, the slur could be found in news headlines, as in the case of a Time magazine article about how to distinguish Chinese "friends" from the "Japs," and in popular songs such as We're Gonna Have to Slap the Dirty Little Jap. At the time, about 120,000 people of Japanese descent -- 60 percent of whom were American citizens -- were put in relocation camps from California to Arkansas.

"Since then, when the term `Jap' has come up, it harks back to World War II and the notion of the Japanese and Japanese-Americans as being sneaky, disloyal and inferior," said Judy Yung, an Asian-American studies professor at the University of California at Santa Cruz. "If this is not called to people's attention and children are raised with these racist ideas, then it's not a far reach to say, `It's OK to discriminate against or kill someone because they're just a `Jap.'"
Historical context of the word "Jap"
Old 06-08-2004, 04:19 PM   #33
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
The N word and the word in question here are 2 different things. The N word for starters doesn't describe black people so let's get that out of the way. The impression I get from the word is that it was shortened for the word japanese.
your impression is wrong. terribly wrong. i am saddened by the terrible amount of ignorance i'm reading here.
Old 06-08-2004, 04:26 PM   #34
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
your impression is wrong. terribly wrong. i am saddened by the terrible amount of ignorance i'm reading here.
I never said it was right. The definition above helps alot and to be honest when I heard Parcells say the word it was the first time me ever hearing it. I still don't think the N word and the word in question have the same backgrounds but I do understand your frustration being of the descent.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 04:39 PM   #35
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Please expand on your comment that the N-word does not describe black people. Unless you mean it is not a nationality descriptor or somesuch, I am confused at where you are coming from.

Jap is derived from Japanese as you stated. However, it is a very offensive slang slur. It was created as a word of disrespect and hate long ago and reflected a hatred of the Japanese people. Think about the aura of that time....Japanese Americans were placed in war camps. Would we today coin the phrase "Bics" and imprison all Arabic Americans?

It's a slur. Period. There is no value to slurs. The N-word is not greater than Spic or Wop or honky or Jap or any other slur. They are all equally poor in taste.

Well what i'm saying is that black people aren't (place n-word here). That was a term used to describe black people way back when but that's not what we are which is what makes the n-word so bad and hurtful. So i'm not understanding how using the word Bill used yesterday is just like someone calling an african american the n-word.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 04:50 PM   #36
Jeremiah

Last edited by Jeremiah; 06-09-2006 at 01:03 PM.
Jeremiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2004, 05:00 PM   #37
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Jeremiah
Japanese people aren't "japs," they're people, just like black people aren't you-know-what, they too, are people.
I'm not disagreeing with that. I'm disagreeing with people saying that it's just like calling black people the n word and I disagree there.

1996-2005
Old 06-08-2004, 05:13 PM   #38
Drbio
Banned

That is just sad. I would think you could of understood that. There is no value to slurs. The n-word and all the others are equally offensive and inappropriate.

I'm baffled.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:14 PM   #39
Jeremiah

Do not think of Jap as just short for Japanese. It is equivalent to you-know-what in that it is a derogatory slur. Now, you have at least two "schools of thought," on the severity of you-know-what and other slurs. One is that a ethnic/racial/national slur is a slur is a slur, no matter which group it is meant to describe, and all have the same connotation of being insensitive. I'd say Aexchange and Drbio represent this group. The second is that you-know-what is the worst word ever, so much so that it transcends the definition of slur and is just a bad, bad word. The Harvard, or is he now a Princeton professor, writes as much in his book entitled you-know-what, of a few years ago. That's his opinion, that, I imagine, is shared by more people than I'll ever know. Perhaps you represent this group.

If you want an opinion on the severity of the two, you're getting it here, and since they are opinions, neither is inherently incorrect. If you want something to read, pick up "you-know-what," and also pick up, "No-No Boy."

Old 06-08-2004, 05:40 PM   #40
chumdawg
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: aexchange

... go do some research on how hurtful that phrase and ethnic slurs are in general.
I've done that, and I apologize to you and anyone else I may have offended in this thread. I am not someone who uses racial slurs, nor am I ready to start.

Unfortunately, these days it means less what you intend with your words than it does how your words are received, and obviously there is a great deal of emotion attached to anything even remotely associated with the term "Jap," emotion which I did not realize before today.

I still believe that no slur was intended at all, and that "to be Pearl Harbor-ed" (which was clearly the intention of the phrase Parcells used) is not in any way a slur. But if "to be japped" is the same as "to be suprise-attacked by a Jap," then the slur exists. So while Parcells's use, or my defense of his use, was not intended to be a slur, I now see how and why it was received that way.

So my apologies to all, and in the future when I mean to say "take by surprise" I will say simply "take by surprise."