Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 06-10-2004, 10:08 AM   #1
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cartoon poll which do you choose

there were three cartoons that received the most votes....The Simpsons, Family Guy, Loony Toons.....pick one and give a justification...

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2004, 10:14 AM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Cartoon poll which do you choose

I went with Loony Toons because they sorta started it all(screw mickey..he was never funny)...so many wonderful characters....and the humor still stands today. And yes, I found Bugs Bunny attractive when he put on a dress and dressed like a girl bunny [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 06-10-2004, 10:38 AM   #3
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all
Default RE:Cartoon poll which do you choose

Bugs Bunny dressed as a girl bunny was ALMOST as hot as the old woman in the daisy dukes in that 'over 18' lounge thread... but I'd still have to go with the Simpsons, I love the show's often intellectual, subtle humor...
Old 06-10-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

The decision between Family Guy and the Simpsons is very tough to make. From the very first episode, I thought Family Guy was pure genius. I don't know if I have ever laughed at a show harder than I laugh while watching Family Guy.

That being said, FG only got three seasons, no time to go stale. Maybe McFarlane runs out of ideas after awhile, and the show goes downhill. We'll never know.

What we do know is that the Simpsons has been consistently hilarious for more than ten years, which is absolutely amazing. Consistently funny over it's entire life.

It's like Bo Jackson vs. Emmitt Smith. I think that I'll have to vote for Family Guy, based on its ability to always make me laugh my @$$ off, to an extent that the Simpsons could never reach.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:55 PM   #5
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

So we now know that D-M.com has 3 posters who are in elementary school.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #6
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Well I guess you are talking about the votes for Looney Tunes... I was one of the votes, but I certainly am not in elementary school.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:52 PM   #7
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Loony Tunes. I've got to stick with the classics...
Old 06-10-2004, 06:58 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Evilmav2
Then why in the hell are you going with Looney Tunes? overrated
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 07:03 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Well I guess you are talking about the votes for Looney Tunes... I was one of the votes, but I certainly am not in elementary school.
sorry. Evil isnt either so maybe 2 posters. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-10-2004, 10:14 PM   #10
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Quote:
Then why in the hell are you going with Looney Tunes? overrated

Overrated? I guess that's just a matter of personal opinion, but I sure as hell would take what I consider to be the underrated animation/scripting efforts of Jerry Beck, Will Friedwald, Robert McKimson, and the voicing genius of Mel Blank in their Loony Tunes/Merry Melodies efforts, over the paltry couple of seasons worth of enormously funny family guy, or over the long-running, but increasingly staid Simpsons.

The Simpsons was pure genius when it was first produced (and I have watched them ever since they were on the Fox Sunday night lineup in the Tracy Ullman show), but after about six seasons or so the plotlines and jokes on the Simpsons began to seem old to me. I continue to watch the show out of loyalty, and because bad Simpsons episodes are still better than much of the available programming extant today, but I don't think the series was as consistently funny and original as the old Loony Tunes shorts were...

As for Family Guy, it is a pretty darned hilarious show (I still Tivo it on Adult Swim every night), but it was short-lived (although Cartoon Network has brought it back from the grave- season four is in production right now), and considering the fact that Seth Green & co are able get away with a lot more off-color humour than the crew at Warner Brothers could, I still will take the proven decades long production of very funny shorts from Loony Tunes over the short history of the crude, but absolutely hilarious Family Guy.

As I said, this is just a matter of opinion, and that's my bum nickel thrown on the pile...
Old 06-10-2004, 10:20 PM   #11
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Looney Tunes were rarely funny. It's like watching the current SNL. 95% of it is garbage, but every once in awhile there'll be a solid bit. At least with the Simpsons, you can almost always count on a nugget worth remembering from just about every episode.... "my cat's breath smell's like cat food"..."my nose makes its own bubblegum"..."umm, floor pie"...I'm sorry, but you just don't get that with the Looney Tunes. I will go ahead and say that the Looney Tunes are/is the most overrated cartoon in the history of cartoons.
Old 06-10-2004, 10:31 PM   #12
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Good for you. I admire your passion...

As I said, this is all a matter of opinion, and my opinion is that the Simpsons is old and worn out, and that I have always found classic Loony Tunes shorts to be pretty darned hilarious.

Now if we can agree to disagree about silly cartoon rankings, I think I will stop typing, and proceed to make a trip to my fridge for necessary beer replenishment, and I think I will do so while whistling the "Kill the Wabbit" song. And if I am really lucky, the Lakers might start staging a comeback while I'm up...
Old 06-10-2004, 10:47 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Evil..don't take me too seriously
Old 06-10-2004, 11:36 PM   #14
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
The decision between Family Guy and the Simpsons is very tough to make. From the very first episode, I thought Family Guy was pure genius. I don't know if I have ever laughed at a show harder than I laugh while watching Family Guy.

That being said, FG only got three seasons, no time to go stale. Maybe McFarlane runs out of ideas after awhile, and the show goes downhill. We'll never know.

What we do know is that the Simpsons has been consistently hilarious for more than ten years, which is absolutely amazing. Consistently funny over it's entire life.

It's like Bo Jackson vs. Emmitt Smith. I think that I'll have to vote for Family Guy, based on its ability to always make me laugh my @$$ off, to an extent that the Simpsons could never reach.
great post!!!

if the question was which show made you laugh the hardest(which would not be bad question) then I would go Family Guy hands down..like you said Chaffy, it steped into its first season in full off beat genius....I have all three seasons on dvd and constantly watch them....without a doubt it is the funniest show I HAVE EVER SEEN...FUNNIEST TV SHOW IN HISTORY!....
but I went with loony toons because they started it all....they brought sarcasm into the market that paved the way for all others to come...most notably the Simpsons and Family Guy....and to Murph's point about all the great lines the Simpsons has given us...Family Guy can easily hold its own...."excuse me son you are going to have to take those two hams out from under your shirt....oh you are just a fat kid....hey carl....hes just a fat kid!

Old 06-11-2004, 06:35 AM   #15
Murphy3
Guru

Honestly, I was never able to make it through a complete episode of the Family Guy.
Old 06-11-2004, 06:48 AM   #16
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

BBBwwwthhh... bwwth... bwth...

That was the figurative series of farts (which I recreated in real life), that I thought would be the best of possible responses to this silly, silly opinion-based thread.

In my opinion, serious, cogent arguments aimed at addressing which cartoon characters, individual fans like the best are silly, stupid, silly, and stupid, stupid...

And that's just my bum nickel on the business...

Bwwwwthhh... Plop...
Old 06-11-2004, 10:21 AM   #17
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
BBBwwwthhh... bwwth... bwth...

That was the figurative series of farts (which I recreated in real life), that I thought would be the best of possible responses to this silly, silly opinion-based thread.

In my opinion, serious, cogent arguments aimed at addressing which cartoon characters, individual fans like the best are silly, stupid, silly, and stupid, stupid...

And that's just my bum nickel on the business...

Bwwwwthhh... Plop...
funny....I thought all we were looking for on this thread was totally subjective and bias opinion....at least I was not asking anyone to prove byond a shadow of a doubt which cartoon was the greatest...simply asking which cartoon they thought was the greatest...sounds like you and I agree on the subjectivity part evil.....actually, I think most of what is said on this entire forum is fairly subjective opinion...some attempt to "prove" to others that their opinion is fact by using data, but it is none the less opinion...at its core subjective....conversation by its very nature leans to the subjective...Language by its vary nature is dependant upon one's subjective understanding of the accepted meaning.....i know what you mean though bro [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] .....I'll just say "Bwwwwthhh... Plop" on your bum nickel.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 06-11-2004, 10:25 AM   #18
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: Murphy3
Honestly, I was never able to make it through a complete episode of the Family Guy.
This is exhibit A in my case to prove murph’s insanity [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
seriously, you are the first person i have ever heard of who did not think the show was genius.

Old 06-11-2004, 12:11 PM   #19
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Let me be number 2.... I thought that show was crap. But I also think the Simpsons is crap. Except for two episodes.... the one with U2 in it and the one where Abu tries to get his citizenship.
Old 06-11-2004, 12:53 PM   #20
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Let me be number 2.... I thought that show was crap.
Seems to me like every over Family Guy episode is usually just not funny, it's either hit or miss all the way with that show, I feel.

As far as Looney Tunes go, I enjoyed watching it when I was growing up, definitely have some fond memories, (except for the Roadrunner, god I hated that bird; the friggin' coyote's starving, just let him eat you and stop tormenting him so!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]) but I never really thought the show was genius humor or anything... It's been years since I've seen any 'tunes, though, I may need to watch some again sometime...
Old 06-11-2004, 02:45 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Let me be number 2.... I thought that show was crap. But I also think the Simpsons is crap. Except for two episodes.... the one with U2 in it and the one where Abu tries to get his citizenship.
The immigration episode (where Apu Nahasapemapetalon gets his citizenship) Is one of the top 5 episodes of the Simpsons. I love that one!
Old 06-11-2004, 02:46 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

LOONEY TUNES BAY-BEE!!!

I watched one Family guy though that was hilarious. They were watching the Wheel of Fortune and it was riot what the dad thought some of the answers were.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 03:30 PM   #23
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

"Excuse me sir, you can't park your van on the diving board."

"That's not a van, that's my kid!"

"Oh, really? Hey Carl, it's just a fat kid!"

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2004, 04:51 PM   #24
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Quote:
Originally posted by: Drbio
LOONEY TUNES BAY-BEE!!!

I watched one Family guy though that was hilarious. They were watching the Wheel of Fortune and it was riot what the dad thought some of the answers were.
GO -UCK Y-URSELF --

Go tuck yourself in!
Old 06-11-2004, 06:29 PM   #25
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: SaltwaterChaffy
"Excuse me sir, you can't park your van on the diving board."

"That's not a van, that's my kid!"

"Oh, really? Hey Carl, it's just a fat kid!"
thanks Chaffy...

Old 06-15-2004, 11:36 AM   #26
sike
The Preacha

we have a tie so far...

Old 06-15-2004, 04:28 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

EL- wasn't that one a riot?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #28
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Amazing how passionate that adults are about thier cartoon.

The Simpsons edged The Family on body of work. Show for show, it's a dead heat IMO.