Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-15-2004, 11:02 PM   #1
StvNash13

StvNash13 is on a distinguished road
Default Detroit wins the NBA Championship

It was a truly great effort by Detroit. They proved themselves to be a superior team, and they dominated the Lakers. The championship is very deserving and I am happy for Larry Brown and Joe Dumars and everyone who was involved with this success. I am also happy for Chauncey for getting the MVP award, he has played very well this season.
Now as Maverick fans we have to ask ourselves, how dangerous is this team going to be? They just won an NBA championship and they have a great young project in Darko. Besides, all of their players are young and most of them are not at their prime yet. How good is Detroit going to be in the future?
StvNash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2004, 11:05 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Detroit wins the NBA Championship

I am happy for Detroit.

I am even happier watching Karl Malone's defeated march back to the locker room.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:11 PM   #3
Simon2
Diamond Member

Simon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to allSimon2 is a name known to all

One episode that made me really want the Lakers to lose was when Payton hit Hamilton on the face and Payton didn't even help him up. Unsportmanlike and unclassy. Then again, Payton was never a classy guy. Haha! Good for him and Malone. I'm happy that the Pistons won but happier that Payton and Malone lost.
Old 06-15-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder what will be said by those who thought the Lakers were going to sweep the Pistons?

Malone and Payton were so sure they would win a championship by joining forces with the Lakers. I thought so for a while, but it's nice to see them lose.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:09 AM   #5
Psychedelic Fuzz
Platinum Member

Psychedelic Fuzz is on a distinguished road

Just goes to show you can't buy a championship.
I'm excited that a TEAM won the title, although I have to wonder how a more cohesive team would've fared against the pistons.

Psychedelic Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:15 AM   #6
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

I can sleep well knowing that Karl Malone will retire without a title.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:21 AM   #7
mavsfanforever
Diamond Member

mavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of lightmavsfanforever is a glorious beacon of light

Congrats to Larry Brown and I feel sorry for Malone.
Old 06-16-2004, 12:35 AM   #8
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Detroit wins the NBA Championship

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Pics of Malone and Payton are on the way...
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 06:42 AM   #9
sturm und drang
Golden Member

sturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura aboutsturm und drang has a spectacular aura about

I'll admit it was the last few minutes of a blowout game, and that he hasn't gotten minutes all season, but...

Just how bad did Darko look out there last night? Bad, bad, rivetingly bad. Laughably bad. Couldn't catch, couldn't rebound, couldn't shoot, couldn't move.

This season has taught us that we clearly have to trust in Dumars, but Darko looks a good two years out. Best case scenario.
Old 06-16-2004, 08:33 AM   #10
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

According to ESPN, Darko injured his hand and couldn't grasp the ball. He didn't tell anyone about it and remained on the court. But he did look pretty bad.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 08:35 AM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Karl Malone can suck it.
Shaq can suck it.
Payton can suck it.
Jackson can suck it.
Rush can suck it
Slava can suck it.

Kobe will suck it after he is imprisoned....and he can suck it all day.

The Lakers can suck it.

The Lakers fans can suck it.

Their effort sucked and they were exposed as inferior by a significantly better team.

Thank you Pistons.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 09:06 AM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

LA property owners can thank the Pistons for winning the Championship.
Old 06-16-2004, 09:31 AM   #13
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

For a discreet moment, I felt bad for Malone.

A very discreet moment.
As Dennis Rodman says: DELICIOUS.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 10:44 AM   #14
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I am extremely proud of this pistons ball club. They all got together and played true basketball as a team and not a bunch of individuals. As for Karl Malone...he got what was coming to him and I can finally rest knowing he'll retire without a ring. I dont dislike Payton half as much as I dislike Malone..but I'm pleased neither won anything.

Congratulations to the NEW world champions, Detroit Pistons.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2004, 12:47 PM   #15
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

this is hands down the best thing that could have happened to the NBA. If the lakers had won, every non-lakers fan would more than likely have been alienated even more from the league, thinking it is fixed, even if it's not. Almost every other fan in the NBA (non-laker fan) had to have been rooting for the pistons, if not all of them.

i know i was ecstatic, and i have no connection to the pistons. well, my dad announced dumars' games in college, and i have a friend that likes the pistons. that's about it.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:21 PM   #16
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Two teams that start with the letter "D", one plays it one doesn't. The one who does wins a championship and the one who doesn't watches the finals on TV as usual.

Two teams who reached the conference finals and lost in 2002-2003, one fires and replaces it's coach the other gives coach a fat 3 year contract. The team with the new coach wins a title.

Congrats to the Pistons they really deserve it.

Cubes gets an F- in decision making though.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:30 PM   #17
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Two teams that start with the letter "D", one plays it one doesn't. The one who does wins a championship and the one who doesn't watches the finals on TV as usual.

Two teams who reached the conference finals and lost in 2002-2003, one fires and replaces it's coach the other gives coach a fat 3 year contract. The team with the new coach wins a title.

Congrats to the Pistons they really deserve it.

Cubes gets an F- in decision making though.
That is so unfair LRB. You are giving Cuban an F for trying to improve the team during last offseason? I don't get it. Almost everyone on this board was on-board with making the trades that occured. And as for the coaching change... okay then who should we have hired last off-season? Detroit upgraded at coach with a proven commodity..... who was the proven commodity you wanted us to replace Nelson with????

Hindsight is 20/20. Congratulations, you have all the answers.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:43 PM   #18
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

U2 the decision to keep Nellie and not to make sure he continued with D was a bad one that has been at least partially repeated. Hindsight is always better, but Cubes is being judged on how correct his decision turned out to be.

Who would I have liked? Well one name I'd like to have seen us go after was Paul Silas. And why couldn't we have gone after Larry Brown? As long as Nellie is coach the Mavs will never be much a threat to win it all. Even if we get close I'm sure Nellie will find a way to screw it up.

And I definitely don't have ALL the answers. I jsut know that Nellie is not [b]THE[\b] answer.
Old 06-16-2004, 02:58 PM   #19
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Your story has grown tiresome.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 09:14 AM   #20
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

POSTIVITY SPIN:
Kudos to the Detroit Pistons, to Larry Brown and the entire organization. It was truly a team effort and it shows that working hard and playing together will still win you an NBA title.

NEGATIVITY SPIN:
The high and mighty Lakers have been struck down from their swaggering ways. It was great to see the cocky Kobe walk out with his tail between his legs. And the way they got beat was an embarrassment. It was fanastic to see the defeat in their eyes, I couldn't stop laughing.

Whew, glad to let all that out. Now I know what non-Cowboy fans feel when they see them get beat. I can really see the appeal for rooting against the usually dominant team.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2004, 06:54 PM   #21
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

hehehe
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2004, 10:08 AM   #22
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I know one thing I hear all this talk about how GREAT the West is and the Lakers HANDLED the best teams the West had to offer and Detroit not just HANDLED the Lakers they KILLED the Lakers. It just points out that overall the West is stronger as a whole but some of the teams in the East could definately compete with teams in the West just as easily.