Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-24-2004, 12:44 AM   #161
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Jamison traded to Wizards (ESPNEWS)

just wanted to point out...just one more trade NO ONE saw coming.....even if we think we know the results....

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2004, 12:57 AM   #162
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Jamison traded to Wizards (ESPNEWS)

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Quote:
Originally posted by: FilthyFinMavs
Quote:
Yeah, throw in Howard and you could probably get the Magic to listen. BUT - Man, If Phoenix is offering Shawn Marion (better than Finley), Joe Johnson (better than Josh) and the #7...why the HELL wouldn't Orlando jump all over that? Why? I for one think that is a remarkable trade and leaps better than the houston deal.

I want to know why the Magic won't jump on the deal. But someone made up a good point in one of these threads. The Rockets want a big name guy in return to atleast sell some sort of tickets. Franchise can do that. You can question his talent but the guy does get the most votes in the west at the point guard position so I think that may be the reason the Magic are jumping on the Rockets deal before the Suns. If it's me I think winning will sell tickets rather than losing and you bring in Shawn Marion and Joe Johnson who seems to be grabbing his potential and plus the number 7? Why haven't the Magic jumped on this deal.
Yeah...that was me who said the thing about Orlando wanting name recognition over quality.
Whoops lol. Sorry about that.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 03:21 AM   #163
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Sorry to be a skeptic, but I think the one and only reason S Francis got all those All-Star votes was because the mega-masses in China voted for "Yao's teammate" .... that doesnt translate into ticket sales or name recognition at all IMO.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 04:55 AM   #164
FreshJive
Diamond Member

FreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond reputeFreshJive has a reputation beyond repute

The people of China probably hate Francis because he never passed the ball to thier hero. I would guess it was twelve year old Americans who put Franchise in the allstar game.
FreshJive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 05:08 AM   #165
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

This trade means we will probably either see Shaq in a Mavs uni next year, or Andris Biedrins (maybe both).

Hopefully, tomorrow's draft will give us a clue as to what direction these darned Mavs are headed...
Old 06-24-2004, 06:36 AM   #166
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Evil, it's never boring as a Mavs fan....unless we're watching Walker play as the point forward.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:18 AM   #167
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

Hmmm if AW has anyway of helping the Mavs nab either Shaq or Tmac then Danny Ainge is possibly the most retarded moron in all of the Universe.

And on another note I would trade Dirk for Shaq. Then I would trade Nash.Finley for Tmac/Filler.
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 08:26 AM   #168
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: PubaNWO
Hmmm if AW has anyway of helping the Mavs nab either Shaq or Tmac then Danny Ainge is possibly the most retarded moron in all of the Universe.
Great point Puban. That idiotic jackass Ainge already did his darndest to help Detroit win this year's NBA championship by facilitating the ATL-DET-BOS Rasheed Wallace trade (for Chucky Atkins! Who jackass Ainge then left unprotected in the expansion draft!), and it would be somewhat ironic if Walker- a man that Ainge described as being "damaged goods" to the Boston Globe- ended up being the key piece in a championship deciding, MDE Shaq trade between LA and Dallas...
Old 06-24-2004, 09:06 AM   #169
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Has anybody thought about this: This is such a guard heavy draft, maybe LA is going to make us take Gary Payton, too and we have to provide them a reasonable alternative at the PG spot, either Nash or a good PG prospect.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 09:50 AM   #170
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

Sike,

I did not see Jamison moving for the #5, but I did see him moving for the #3 and now we hear that Fin was shopped for the #3. What we all need to understand is the possibiliities are now endless, but none of them should involve losing Dirk. Cuban is now sitting pretty with 3 ways to obtain the center he needs.

1. Shaq
2. Move to get Okafor/Grant
3. GS to get Dampier/NVE/#11

Of course in the 2 and 3 option, Dallas could move those pieces for shaq.

Stressboy
Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 10:14 AM   #171
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

This trade gives us great ammo to go after Dampier. I say we do so post haste. If we get Dampier we'll have a super trading chip to get Shaq, and if we fail to get Shaq we've got a damn good consolation prize. I say full steam ahead with Dampier and then on to Shaq.
Old 06-24-2004, 10:41 AM   #172
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Stressboy
Sike,
I did not see Jamison moving for the #5, but I did see him moving for the #3 and now we hear that Fin was shopped for the #3. What we all need to understand is the possibiliities are now endless, but none of them should involve losing Dirk. Cuban is now sitting pretty with 3 ways to obtain the center he needs.
1. Shaq
Stressboy
in reverse order...
3.dampier will now be a disapointment with all the rumblings of Daddy talk....if hes trade bait to get shaq then fine...
2.okafor is no center....if get okafor and Shaq aint coming, you better get tmac....
1.i dont mind this at all....and at this point in things, this is the only option that really satisfies me....
you can only promise me apple pie and give me a pop tarts for so long.....at this point: I just wants me the apple pie!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 06-24-2004, 11:04 AM   #173
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Sike,
1. Shaq
Stressboy
in reverse order...
3.dampier will now be a disapointment with all the rumblings of Daddy talk....if hes trade bait to get shaq then fine...
2.okafor is no center....if get okafor and Shaq aint coming, you better get tmac....
1.i dont mind this at all....and at this point in things, this is the only option that really satisfies me....
you can only promise me apple pie and give me a pop tarts for so long.....at this point: I just wants me the apple pie!
Sike you're forgetting that you got pie last off season. Antoine Walker. Sure he was a cowpie, but pie none the less. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-24-2004, 11:09 AM   #174
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
Quote:
Sike,
1. Shaq
Stressboy
in reverse order...
Sike you're forgetting that you got pie last off season. Antoine Walker. Sure he was a cowpie, but pie none the less. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
genius [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]....but my point remains...now nothing short of Shaq satisfies...

Old 06-24-2004, 11:35 AM   #175
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

1. Why is Okafor not a center? He's a Ben Wallace clone, but taller. There's been Mavs fans salivating over big Ben for years now. Why would Okafor be any different a situation? Hell, Alonzo Mourning is only 6'10" and he was a "decent" center.

2. Biedrens or whatever his name is just doesn't excite me. He's duplicating something we already have. Plus, PLUS...the guy shoots less than 30% free throws. Are you kidding me? I think 90% of the people here can do better than that.
Old 06-24-2004, 11:43 AM   #176
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
1. Why is Okafor not a center? He's a Ben Wallace clone, but taller. There's been Mavs fans salivating over big Ben for years now. Why would Okafor be any different a situation? Hell, Alonzo Mourning is only 6'10" and he was a "decent" center.
Ben Wallace is a power forward who, like Mourning, has enough heart to play out of position...plus Mourning had a good low post game so lets not make that comparison...But i understand what you mean.....On Wallace I hav not been salivating or any other kind of "vating" for Wallace...I do respect his heart...he benefits by in playing in a league where there are so few true centers....

Old 06-24-2004, 11:47 AM   #177
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:

2. Biedrens or whatever his name is just doesn't excite me. He's duplicating something we already have. Plus, PLUS...the guy shoots less than 30% free throws. Are you kidding me? I think 90% of the people here can do better than that.
Well this is why alot of people questioned the Mavs pursuing Mourning last year. Even if healthy the guy has never played in the West with his size. You also have to mention that it finally took Ben Wallace playing the 4 till the Pistons one a championship. Remember the Pistons had Rasheed start at the 5 against the Lakers. I like Okafor. I question his back but I definately move up to get him. But once I move up i'm not trading him in a deal for Shaq. Mavs better know and understand what they're going to do with Shaq before they deal to get Okafor. I honestly think the Magic would trade down but they need a reason to. Every fan of Orlando would be pissed if they took anyone but Howard or Okafor in this draft at the number 1. Mavs have to give them a reason to trade down. Would anyone do a future number 1 and this year's number 1 for the Magic's pick?

1996-2005
Old 06-24-2004, 11:56 AM   #178
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

What makes Wallace great is his rebounding. Okafor is not even in the same league. You can't even compare the two. Mourning was a 20+ ppg scorer. Ekema will struggle to score 10 per game. Comparing Okafor to these guys is like saying "Eddie Najera is 6'7" and has a lot of energy, and so was Rodman. Why can't Najera achieve his level of success". Or "Corliss Williamson is a 6'5" forward with a mean streak, just like Charles Barkley, why can't he be a hall-of-fame power forward."

You can't compare Okafor to superstars based solely on his shotblocking... and that's what people are doing. In truth, Okafor is an incredibly one-dimensional player, in addition to being undersized and underskilled. His shotblocking and NCAA championship exposure will earn him a #1 or a #2 pick in this draft, but rest assured that his production will never garner a #1 or #2 pick. He's just not an elite level NBA center and never will be. He reminds me more of Adonal Foyle than anyone else.. a nice backup shotblocking center but certainly not a guy you would ever consider building a franchise around. Isn't that what #1 picks are supposed to be for?

Did I mention he has chronic injury problems?
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 12:10 PM   #179
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
Quote:
Originally posted by: Josh
ESPN just said officially Stack/Laettner #5 for Jamison
Well it's official. We traded a man in his prime for two old guys, and a draft pick.

Laettner is alright but doesnt have much in him. Stack is a cancer who is beyond his prime.
Man, Erica, you took the words right out of my mouth! I've always hated Stack's game. He's a low shooting percentage 2 guard with some decent moves who fancies himself a superstar. He's as bad a ballhog as I-I-I-verson, but with less talent. He wouldn't be nearly the player Jamison was off the bench.

Laettner is washed up. He's got nothing left. He's sucked for a couple seasons now.

This can't possibly be the end of it. Maybe it's true: L.A. going to get a bunch of big, expiring contracts, tank this year, let Kobe average 50 point per game, and try to pry Yao out of Houston next year. Kobe and Yao could be a pretty deadly combination.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:19 PM   #180
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Okafor's not just a shot blocker. He averaged 11.5 board and 17.6 points on 60% shooting. Plus, anybody that watched him over the past couple of years saw the improvement in his offensive game. He's a hard worker who'll continue to improve.

He's a 4, but he has the heart to play the 5.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:03 PM   #181
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

WE must either get Shaq or Okafor out of this trade. Either way..if we end up keeping the pick then we get to take the Big Russian baby! All I wanted was the opportunity to land him and now we have it. We are now sitting pretty with a pretty hand of cards

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 01:12 PM   #182
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Bob and Dan are ripping Pavel mercilessly and I agree with everything they're saying. I hope he's not on our roster come October.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:18 PM   #183
kingrex
Platinum Member

kingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the roughkingrex is a jewel in the rough

This latest Mavs trade is what makes being a Mavs fan so great. There is always a ton of water cooler fodder.
kingrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:21 PM   #184
bcrav4
Golden Member

bcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to allbcrav4 is a name known to all

Maybe we're trading down.....Donnie has been getting a lot of calls about the #5 pick!!!

If we draft....please draft Ramos NOT Pavel.
"They better not put me in the All-Star Game. I won't shoot, but I'll dominate that easy game. I'll be playing hard defense. I'll be foulin'. I'll be flagrant fouling. Everyone will be like, 'What are you doing?'" -- Ron Artest.
bcrav4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:39 PM   #185
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: bcrav4
Maybe we're trading down.....Donnie has been getting a lot of calls about the #5 pick!!!

If we draft....please draft Ramos NOT Pavel.
If we're going that route i'd prefer Ramos over Pavel. I don't get what scouts see in players that play overseas who average 2.5 points a game with 2 boards to add to that. I don't see how that's worthy of the 5th pick.

1996-2005
Old 06-24-2004, 02:44 PM   #186
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice

I like Ramos much better too. I don't know why people aren't talking as much about him. Cuz he's only 7'3", not 7'5"? We need a guy with some post-up potential.
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #187
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

We cant trade down now, because Washington has to make the pick.
I say we draft with the #5: Livingston, Deng, Igoudala, Harris. Preference is in that order.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2004, 02:51 PM   #188
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Day1MavsFan
I like Ramos much better too. I don't know why people aren't talking as much about him. Cuz he's only 7'3", not 7'5"? We need a guy with some post-up potential.
Also it should be noted that he ran track and field. Imagine a 7'3 guy who can run. He's a guy I would go after if we trade down. Some mock drafts have him going in the early 20's.

1996-2005