Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-27-2004, 11:17 PM   #1
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dampier files papers, will become free agent

Dampier files papers, will become free agent

CONTRA COSTA TIMES AND WIRE REPORTS

The Warriors announced on Saturday that center Erick Dampier had provided them with paperwork exercising an opt-out clause in his contract. Dampier, who was set to earn a guaranteed $17 million over the next two seasons, will become a free agent on July 1.

The soonest Dampier could sign with another team -- or the Warriors -- is July 16. Dampier's agent, Dan Fegan, had said last Wednesday he had told the Warriors his client intended to opt out.

Dampier, who averaged 12.3 points and 12 rebounds per game last season, has been with the Warriors since 1997, when he was acquired along with Duane Ferrell for Chris Mullin, currently the team's executive vice president of basketball operations.

Dampier and backup center Adonal Foyle are the longest-tenured Warriors. Foyle will also become a free agent on July 1.

"We received the paperwork on Friday indicating that Erick has officially exercised the opt-out clause in his contract," Mullin said in a statement. "We intend to speak with him and his representatives when NBA rules permit us to do so, which, as an unrestricted free agent, is July 1."

Neither Fegan nor Dampier returned phone calls.
Old 06-27-2004, 11:39 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Dampier files papers, will become free agent

Quote:
Neither Fegan nor Dampier returned phone calls.
how inconsiderate

we knew this was coming.....no big surprises....any bets on where he ends up? Have any teams shown great interest in Damp?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:54 PM   #3
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future

Three team race: Indiana, Memphis, and Dallas.

I think a lot of it comes down to what GS wants for him - talent, contracts, both, etc.
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Dampier files papers, will become free agent

I hope it's contracts, because I don't think we can compete with the Pacers when it comes to young talent that we're willing to give up.
Old 06-28-2004, 01:02 AM   #5
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

I will be amazed if Dampier doesn't end up in Memphis. They have the parts to make an equitable trade happen with Golden State, and I think Jerry West has had his radar honed on making this deal happen for quite some time now (at least if the Memphis press is to be trusted).
Old 06-28-2004, 03:42 AM   #6
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

It doesnt matter what's offered to GS, it only matters where Dampier wants to play. He is a FA, he drives the trade, there's no "trade competition" between teams
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

It matters in the sense that GS can say no. If crap is offered in return, then they will let him walk. The benefit to them is that GS can facilitate more money than a FA signing and therefore can evaluate trade offers.

It's a two way street. GS has the opportunity to pick up something in return and Damp can potentially make more money. It's ultimately up to Damp, but GS gets to play a role i nthis.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:42 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
It doesnt matter what's offered to GS, it only matters where Dampier wants to play. He is a FA, he drives the trade, there's no "trade competition" between teams
Not entirely true. Damp cannot force the Warriors to trade him. If they don't get an offer that they like, they'll let him walk. This would likely mean less money for Dampier, so it is in his best interests to work out a trade that is agreeable to Golden State.

Foremost, G.S. will not want to take on ugly contracts like Finley or Tariq Abdul Wahed. However, Dallas has a few assets that the Warriors might be interested in. Namely, Devin Harris or Steve Nash.

If that's what it would take to get Dampier, I say let him walk. Let Memphis throw the garage sale. I'm not giving up a promising young point guard for a bum like Dampier, and I sure as hell don't want to be stuck paying him $8-$10 million a year for the next seven years.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:16 AM   #9
Stressboy

Stressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the roughStressboy is a jewel in the rough

I'm with Ape. I think we should pay no more than a future 1st or 2nd round picks and taking on a bad salary for them such as Esch. Since we have Walker's expiring contract, I see no reason why Walker/2nd rounder for Dampier/Esch should not work. Remember that Pheonix, Utah, and Denver will all have money and decent teams for Damp to go to if GS does not let him go to the team he desires.

The only way we should pay more is if that is the only way to get Shaq. I would say that I'm willing to give up one of our 2 1st rounders and Howard along with Walker/Laettner/Stack or Fin to get Shaq. If a Shaq deal went down with GS as the 3rd option, then it is very easy to see NVE also coming the Mavericks or Lakers way because of the expiring contracts that the Lakers have (Fox and Payton).

Stressboy

Stressboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 02:23 PM   #10
uberfan
Golden Member

uberfan has a spectacular aura aboutuberfan has a spectacular aura about

Since Dampier has walked away from $17MM over the next years, you can bet he is looking for at least $10MM per. Only a few teams have the cap space to do an outright signining. The question is are they willing to use their cap space on Dampier?

If not, the only way he is moved is through a S&T. Not too likley, but he could also just re-sign with GS.

Of those who can sign him outright,

GS: They will need a center. But wouldn't they be content with Foyle for less money? What are their long-range plans? Do they want to be players in 2005 free agency? Do they want cap flexibility or the best young talent they can get back?

Phoenix: Can use a center to go with the young guys. The would give up any shot at Nash or Kobe, however.

LAC: They have enough youth at center. They need a veteran to make the team go. Signing Dampier ends shot at Kobe or Nash (Nash wouldn't sign with Clilppers).

Denver: They just might do it if they decide to let Camby go. I just don't see them paying both Camby and Dampier near $10 miilion a year each. I could be wrong.

Utah: Always a possibility. He fits on their team with the other talent they already have.

Of those who would do a S&T,

Indy: Harrington + what = Dampier for GS?

Memphis: If GS wants relatively young talent back, Grizz have the pieces to make it work in Wright or Swift and a few other pieces.

Milwaukee: They can trade away an up and coming center in Gadzuric among other pieces if that is appealing to GS.

Dallas: Plenty of cap flexibility (if we don't do any other trades) and a young player in Howard, etc. or future draft picks. Would GS be willing to go with Foyle and Murphy at the 5 and Walker at the 4 for a year?

Miami: Caron Butler and what else? Don't see a match here.

uberfan is offline   Reply With Quote