Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-15-2002, 03:01 AM   #1
BASKETBALL 101

BASKETBALL 101 is on a distinguished road

Mavs Extra: Newman adding a new wrinkle
At 38, the shooter has become a stopper

03/15/2002

By JODIE VALADE / The Dallas Morning News

Strictly by his birth certificate, Johnny Newman is 38 years old.

He has 38-year-old legs and nearly four decades worth of wear and tear on his joints and limbs. By NBA standards, he is ancient.

Johnny Newman
By Newman's count, he is not quite so over-the-hill.

"I feel like my body's 31," Newman said. "Maybe 32."

Which means he's still young enough to mold himself into a new player. He can change from a top-notch shooter to a defensive stopper. And after 16 years in the NBA, he can hold up just as well as any of the sprite, young kids in the locker room.

The Mavericks' midseason pickup has quietly become their late-season secret weapon. Newman has slid into a stopper's role since a deadline trade brought even more offensive power to Dallas. He has reworked his image to become the Mavericks' best defender – instead of just the steadying, veteran locker room presence they expected when he signed in late November.

"He plays hard," said Chicago's Charles Oakley, Newman's closest friend in the league. "You can be what you want to be if you play hard."

all-time leading scorer. ... Second-round pick by Cleveland in 1986.

In the past few weeks, Newman has drawn an All-Star cast of defensive assignments. There was Toronto's Vince Carter. And Phoenix's Shawn Marion. And Sacramento's Peja Stojakovic. And Boston's Paul Pierce. And Seattle's Gary Payton.

He held them all below their season averages.

"It's amazing, isn't it?" coach Don Nelson said with a grin.

Maybe, maybe not. His sudden defensive prowess was not entirely unexpected, even if the timing of his conversion was a bit surprising.

Assistant coach Del Harris suggested that the Mavericks sign Newman when the team needed another shooting guard a couple of months ago. He didn't necessarily forecast the addition of a defensive stopper, though he knew Newman was solid defensively. Harris had tried to sign Newman as a free agent in 1997, when his young LA Lakers needed a veteran presence.

"They thought he was over-the-hill then, and here he is still playing," Harris said with a laugh.

Medical marvel

So if Mavericks teammates tease him with the nickname "Old Man," he doesn't mind. He is, after all, just as durable as his peers. His most serious injury in all his time in the NBA has been one measly broken finger. His knees are fine. His hamstrings and ankles are solid. Newman even taunts fate as one of the handful of players in the league to wear low-top sneakers. He practically begs for twisted ankles. He has had none.

"I know I'm not an ordinary 38-year-old," Newman said. "I've been blessed. I've been taking care of my body. I work hard at my skills."

Newman credits his year-round fitness routine for keeping him healthy, even as the eighth-oldest player in the league.

Harris credits Newman's competitive drive and willingness to win for the ease in which he became the Mavericks' top defender.

"He saw a niche here, a place where he could fit in," Harris said.

Newman is a career 46-percent shooter, which makes him a reliable shooting guard. His best year, in a career crossing seven different teams, was in 1990-91 with Charlotte when he averaged 16.9 points.

That reputation as a skilled shooter adds another dimension to his defensive skills, even if he is averaging a career-low 4.6 points this season.

"The whole league knows you've got to guard him," Harris said. "They don't know when he's going to shoot it. That makes him unique among defensive stoppers. Most defensive stoppers are guys that don't draw any attention at all on the other end, so they're kind of a detriment to your offense. This guy, you'd better guard him, because he can nail a 3."

up to the challenge

Newman said he has happily changed his image to bring the Mavericks the poise and savvy they had lacked.

"I've always been a scorer, but at times the last couple years, I've had to take the challenge of going out there and using my experience and using my toughness," Newman said. "I welcome the challenge. I'm just competitive. I've always been competitive."

The Bulls' Oakley, who is also 38, has seen Newman change while keeping competitive drive. Both played at colleges in Virginia, and they have been close since spending summers playing and competing.

"Some guys have pride in themselves and don't want guys to come out and give them big numbers. That's what defense is all about," Oakley said. "That's what Johnny is all about."

So what if Newman is 38 years old?

"That never crosses my mind," Newman said.

JOHNNY NEWMAN

Height: 6-7

Weight: 210

College: Richmond, 1986

Briefly: Has played for seven teams in his 16-year NBA career. ... His career-best 16.9 points per game led Charlotte in 1990-91. ... Career averages of 11.1 points and .461 shooting. ... Scored a career-high 40 points against the Mavericks in 1991. ... Left Richmond as the school's