Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 03-16-2002, 11:45 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Several sources are reporting that the Rangers are about to pull the trigger on a "significant trade". Baseball prospectus and Newberg have articles. Check it out. Sorry I didn't get a link this time. The trade is rumored to involve a current Ranger and a hot prospect or two. Blalock is probably untouchable, but I could see Ramos, Hart, or Mench packaged with Kapler or Catalanotto for a 1-2 pitcher and a role player. You guys hearing anything?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2002, 02:05 AM   #2
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

With that insane offensive lineup the Rangers are fielding this year, they need some defense which means pitching (no news there)

I hope they can get something of value for Kapler and Catalanotto
Old 03-17-2002, 11:59 AM   #3
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Hicks REALLY wants Wells for some reason. I know he's a hometown guy and all but he's not that good a player. I've heard Blalocks name dangled around but I hope he doesn't go anywhere.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 05:18 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

I will be more pissed than jsut a little bit if Blalock goes anywhere...including triple A. He should be the opening day Ranger 3B.
Old 03-17-2002, 05:22 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

blalock is the starting third baseman for the rangers for a long time.. i don't see cat going anywhere either.
he'll be dh most of the time i imagine...kap could be traded but i really don't see cat going anywhere
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 05:48 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

Most major leaguers that see Blalock play have likened him to George Brett. Not a bad comparison IMO. The Rangers could move Kapler now for several reasons. He is attractive to other teams for his salary and contract, his ever increasing average and production, and the Rangers have Romano tearing up Spring training as well as Mench.

I see the Rangers moving Kapler and someone along the lines of Kolb, Ramos, Hart or Hafner for a #2 or #3 type pitcher. That would mean Irabu would be lowered to long relief and Woodward and Burba would be released.
Old 03-17-2002, 05:53 PM   #7
Drbio
Banned

One more thing.....I could see the Ranger moving Little Cat if the Lamb experiment works out. Granted, Lamb doesn't have the upside of Cat, but he also doesn't have the trade value of Cat. I could see the Rangers trading Cat for El Duque, although I would hate to see that happen. I like having Cat right here.
Old 03-17-2002, 06:40 PM   #8
Blonde Bomber
Golden Member

Blonde Bomber is on a distinguished road

Man, I haven't heard anything on trades for more pitching. But they would be crazy to trade Blalock. He will be an All-Star 3B for years to come.
Does anybody know any of the names being dropped as possible pitchers for the Rangers. I would not include either Blalock, Catalanotto, Teixeria, or Colby Lewis. It would be nice to get a #2 starter back which would push Rogers to #3, Davis #4, and Valdes #5....not to bad considering what we started with last year.

Has anybody seen any footage on this Blalock kid? He sounds like a real stud. Can't wait for the season to kick off.
Blonde Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2002, 06:55 PM   #9
Drbio
Banned

First of all, Texeira cannot be traded under mlb rules unitl about half way through the season (I forget the actual date). The names being thrown around were Orlando Hernandez, Chris Carpenter, and Sidney Ponson. The story has since been exposed as a bunch of crap though. Peter Gammons most recent column says that proposed deals are off.

The Rangers held a meeting with Hicks, Narron, Hart, Hersheiser, and Acosta. The meeting was said to be heated. After that meeting, the rumored deal was announced to be off.