Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-10-2004, 07:22 PM   #1
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fenway Park..

Fenway Park is such a joke. It is absolutely ridiculous the dimensions to left. 300 foot pop flys bounce off the wall and end up doubles. I don't know if any of y'all have had the 'pleasure' to visit the place, but it is a freaking joke. Sure, it has history, but the hell hole needs to be torn down. MLB needs to develop a set standard of minimal dimensions for all ball parks.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fenway Park..

You watching the debacle too I suspect?
Old 07-10-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE:Fenway Park..

I've been there a couple of times, and that place is a joke. The high school park that I played in was significantly deeper than Fenway. I hate the park. It cheapens the game.
Old 07-10-2004, 07:43 PM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

It's similar to freaking Yankee Stadium back from basically it's inception through the Yankees hayday...the park was a joke. It was ridiculously deep to left center to center..to right field, it was as shallow as 295 feet down the line, i believe. That is unacceptable.

Just looked it up..one source says that it was 295 feet when initially opened..one says 291.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:01 PM   #5
NYCdog

NYCdog will become famous soon enoughNYCdog will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Fenway Park is such a joke. It is absolutely ridiculous the dimensions to left. 300 foot pop flys bounce off the wall and end up doubles. I don't know if any of y'all have had the 'pleasure' to visit the place, but it is a freaking joke. Sure, it has history, but the hell hole needs to be torn down. MLB needs to develop a set standard of minimal dimensions for all ball parks.
Well if you been to the park, then you obviously know why its 300 down the left line.

And FYI........if you don’t know, its because of the ballparks proximity to Lansdowne Street. Due to site constraints, the "Sawx" had no other choice then to build Fenway this way.

See the pic of Lansdowne Street below.......maybe then you'll understand the situation better.......

Fenway isn’t the only one effected by site constraints. Minute Maid Park is affected in the same exact way due left field’s proximity to Crawford Street, thus producing a ballpark which looks and plays very similar to Fenway. In some ways, its an exact copycat of Fenway, but what retro park isn’t now a days.

So stop hatin of Fenway. Even though I'm a fan of the "Evil Empire," I still agree that Fenway and its cozy (and sometimes violent) atmosphere is one of the best in all of baseball. And if John Henry continues his renovations, the park could be better then ever before.

But I'll tell you what is a joke.........having such a beautiful as Ameriquest Field.......built in the middle of no where surrounded by parking lots. That's a joke.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:22 PM   #6
NYCdog

Quote:
It's similar to freaking Yankee Stadium back from basically it's inception through the Yankees hayday...the park was a joke. It was ridiculously deep to left center to center..to right field, it was as shallow as 295 feet down the line, i believe. That is unacceptable.
They always say........a picture is worth a thousand words. Hopefully you can understand what I'm try to say.......

EDIT......The damn pic aint workin......tyrin to find another. Its of River Ave and a little something we call "the L".......elevated subway that is.

P.S........if you need to buy a freakin clue, think "why right field is so short?'

Quote:
Just looked it up..one source says that it was 295 feet when initially opened..one says 291.
I dont know who your sources are but they are failin you big time, son.

Right field hasnt been this short since 1973 before the renovation.

Currently, its 314 to right.

Old 07-10-2004, 08:40 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
They always say........a picture is worth a thousand words. Hopefully you can understand what I'm try to say.......

P.S........if you need to buy a freakin clue, think "why right field is so short?'

Quote:
I dont know who your sources are but they are failin you big time, son.

Don't call me 'son'.
In what way was I incorrect?

Yankee stadium dimensions

It looks like Yankee Stadium was 295 feet down the right field line from 1923 to 1926.
From 37-73, the right field line was moved back to 296.
From 74-75, the Yankees played at Shea
From 76 on, the right field line was 314.

How am I wrong, son?

It must suck to call someone out like you did and then to have it thrown right back at you.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:46 PM   #8
Murphy3
Guru

Here's another source:
Right field: 294.75 (1923), 295 (1930), 296 (1939), 310 (1976), 314 (1988)

So how am i wrong?
dimensions.
Old 07-10-2004, 08:47 PM   #9
Murphy3
Guru

Here's another site:
dimensions
Old 07-10-2004, 08:49 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

yankee 'stadiums' dimensions were nothing less than a joke.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:16 PM   #11
NYCdog

Quote:
Don't call me 'son'.

It looks like Yankee Stadium was 295 feet down the right field line from 1923 to 1926.

How am I wrong, son?

It must suck to call someone out like you did and then to have it thrown right back at you.
In two ways, KID........

1........In the way that you fail to mention that its a "not so absurd" 314 now. Yeah, lets just forget about that little fact and concentrate on making the Stadium look bad........

No one cares what the park was like 30 YEARS AGO. That park (pre-renovation in 73') was built for a different era with different players who had different strengths then today's Barry Bonds, equipped with THG and all.

2........In that Yankee Stadium (pre-renovation) wasn’t as bad as you thought it was.

If you thought Yankee Stadium was bad, you obviously never heard of Polo Grounds, or its glorious dimensions.

Polo to left from 1911-63 ranged from 277-286 Its was last at 279 before demolition.
Polo to right from 1921-63 ranged from 256 to 259 Its was last at 259 with an overhang at 249 prior to demolition.

And while were at it let's not forget about Brooklyn, either. From 1914 till its demise, Ebbets down right ranged from 292 to 297 upon demolition. That's very comparable to Yankee Stadium's right porch.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:28 PM   #12
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I don't know much about baseball but once in a while I watch a game on TV and wonder why the commentators talk about why it's easier to hit a HR here and more difficult there. So, is the size of the playing field really different from stadium to stadium?

Don't you have standard rules for this? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2004, 09:46 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: NYCdog
Quote:
Don't call me 'son'.

How am I wrong, son?

In two ways, KID........

1........In the way that you fail to mention that its a "not so absurd" 314 now. Yeah, lets just forget about that little fact and concentrate on making the Stadium look bad........

No one cares what the park was like 30 YEARS AGO. That park (pre-renovation in 73') was built for a different era with different players who had different strengths then today's Barry Bonds, equipped with THG and all.

2........In that Yankee Stadium (pre-renovation) wasn’t as bad as you thought it was.

If you thought Yankee Stadium was bad, you obviously never heard of Polo Grounds, or its glorious dimensions.

Polo to left from 1911-63 ranged from 277-286 Its was last at 279 before demolition.
Polo to right from 1921-63 ranged from 256 to 259 Its was last at 259 with an overhang at 249 prior to demolition.

And while were at it let's not forget about Brooklyn, either. From 1914 till its demise, Ebbets down right ranged from 292 to 297 upon demolition. That's very comparable to Yankee Stadium's right porch.
Quote:
It wasn't as bad as I thought it was? it was exactly what I thought it was. I said that it was mentioned as either 291 or 295. It looks like I pretty much nailed it right on the head, doesn't it? yeah, pretty much. Go back and read my posts.

[quote]

Polo to right from 1921-63 ranged from 256 to 259 Its was last at 259 with an overhang at 249 prior to demolition[quote]

Yes, I've heard of the 'polo grounds'. I have said nothing in any of my posts that would give ANY indication that I haven't heard of the polo grounds. Where you get this, I do not know. It's a rather questionable assumption on your part.

How does shallow dimensions for one park justify shallow dimensions for another?
Old 07-10-2004, 09:54 PM   #14
NYCdog

In any case, the main reason why right field was so short in Yankee Stadium was that Babe Ruth requested it to be that way. Prior to Yankee Stadium, the Yanks were sharing Polo Grounds with the then NY Giants. As you would expect, Ruth was setting homerun records and attracting huge crowds for the Yanks, partly due to Polo Grounds "cozy" dimensions. (see previous post for dimensions) The Giants weren’t too happy that they were getting upstaged in their own park by there rivals so they served an eviction notice to the Yankees in 1921. When the Yanks left Polo Grounds for their new play pen, less then a mile away across the Harlem River, Babe Ruth cried in right field of Polo Grounds because he was going to miss its short right overhang, measured at 249.

The Yanks eventually built a short porch in right just for Ruth to make him happy and keep the homers coming, which kept the crowds coming.

It paid off big time as Ruth became the known as the best hitter of his time and the Yanks won a string of championships, beginning the Dynasty of this franchise.

In the 70's when the time came for renovation, the reason why right couldn’t be pushed back further was primarily due to its site in which right field closely borders River Ave and "the L." (Elevated Subway Line) There was simply no room to further extend the park so architects simply pushed it as far back as they could.

Now you know Murph......now you know.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:20 PM   #15
NYCdog

Quote:
It wasn't as bad as I thought it was? it was exactly what I thought it was. I said that it was mentioned as either 291 or 295. It looks like I pretty much nailed it right on the head, doesn't it? yeah, pretty much. Go back and read my posts.
I cant believe I have to break this down for you.

"It wasn’t as bad as you thought was".........simply meaning "If you think that's bad, then look at this......."

Read my post.....you'll CLEARLY see that was what I was alluding too.....

Here's an excerpt for you to chew on and dwell........ It was literally one line below the statement in question.

Quote:
-----------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Yes, I've heard of the 'polo grounds'. I have said nothing in any of my posts that would give ANY indication that I haven't heard of the polo grounds. Where you get this, I do not know. It's a rather questionable assumption on your part.
Yes you have given me an indication..........and you know it.

You call a 295 fence down right ("back in the day" might I add) absurd.

Then what on earth is a 259 fence down right? .....Pitcher Friendly?

Quote:
How does shallow dimensions for one park justify shallow dimensions for another?
I'm sure you've read the whole Babe Ruth story I last posted. Polo Grounds shallowness spawned Yankee Stadium's right field.

And again, it goes back to that "If you think that was bad, then look at this....." theory of mine.
Old 07-10-2004, 10:21 PM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

What do I now know that I did not know before?

Do you find it difficult to say that you were wrong?
Old 07-10-2004, 10:37 PM   #17
NYCdog

Quote:
What do I now know that I did not know before?

Well, I know that you tried to smart off to me. I also know that your attempt to do so was in error. What else?
You know what........I am wrong.

After reading your post, I realize that your were talking about Yankee Stadium pre-70's-renovation, not NOW. There two entirely different parks.....I got mixed up in which one you were refering to.

I knew the 295 figure wasnt WRONG.........that's why I never said it was WRONG.

My mistake was that I thought you were saying that Yankee Stadium was CURRENTLY 295 down right.

That's why I said this.....

Quote:

I'm Wrong......and I apologize. My bad.

But I still dont agree with what you said about Fenway and the Stadium. There terrific parks that have the chance to become better then ever before, that is if there owners do the right thing..... (meaning George drops his new stadium bid in favor of renovation)
Old 07-11-2004, 10:58 PM   #18
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Yankee Stadium is hallowed ground and the greatest place in the world to watch baseball in Ocotber.

I have been to Fenway a couple of times...and I have to say it is awesome.

The Ballpark at Arlington on the other hand....

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2004, 07:31 AM   #19
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

The Ballpark IN Arlington is no more... Try AmeriQuest Field, unfortunately.
Old 07-12-2004, 09:17 AM   #20
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Right my bad...decent looking place in the middle of a strip mall, however.

I'd go with Yankee, Wrigley and Fenway myself.

Old 07-12-2004, 05:38 PM   #21
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
But I'll tell you what is a joke.........having such a beautiful as Ameriquest Field.......built in the middle of no where surrounded by parking lots. That's a joke.
this comment in no way sounds rational. If one could be supplied, I would love explanation.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 03:02 AM   #22
PubaNWO

PubaNWO is on a distinguished road

who cares about the dimensions....there's no level playing field to begin with in baseball!!!
PubaNWO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2004, 06:39 AM   #23
Murphy3
Guru

Obviously, I do.
Old 07-23-2004, 12:02 AM   #24
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Maybe, in the next Sawx ballpark, they could go back to the old Braves Field (circa 1915) dimensions once Fenway is retired. That would be swell.

Oh by the way, there were exactly zero home runs hit <u>out</u> of Braves field until 1925. All previous to that were inside the parkers.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:23 AM   #25
Hitman
Golden Member

Having different dimensions in different parks is what makes baseball GREAT.

It doesn't "cheapen" the game...it makes it unique and forces the competitors to alter their approach.

Fenway Park is awesome...the stuff of legend

And I am a Yankee fan.

Old 07-28-2004, 12:51 PM   #26
Murphy3
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
Having different dimensions in different parks is what makes baseball GREAT.

It doesn't "cheapen" the game...it makes it unique and forces the competitors to alter their approach.

Fenway Park is awesome...the stuff of legend

And I am a Yankee fan.
Have dimensons as shallow as Fenway has to left field does cheapen the game.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:12 PM   #27
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally posted by: Male23Dan
The Ballpark IN Arlington is no more... Try AmeriQuest Field, unfortunately.
I will NEVER call it that. It will always be "The Ballpark"
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote