Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 10-25-2004, 03:48 PM   #1
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts
Default Clinton!!! Go William Go!!!

Clinton: Bush Trying to Scare Voters

By NEDRA PICKLER, Associated Press Writer

PHILADELPHIA - A smiling, energetic former President Clinton (news - web sites) campaigned for Democratic Sen. John Kerry (news - web sites) on Monday just seven weeks after undergoing heart surgery, telling a crowd of thousands that President Bush (news - web sites) and Republicans are trying to "scare the undecided voters" away from the Democratic nominee.

"If this isn't good for my heart, I don't know what is," Clinton said of the enthusiastic response from the lunchtime crowd.

Democratic strategists hoped Clinton's appearance in the final days of the campaign would provide a jolt of excitement that would help energize the Democratic base and attract undecided voters who had supported Clinton.

"From time to time, I have been called the comeback kid. In eight days, John Kerry is going to make America the comeback country," Clinton said to cheers. The former two-term president said he recognized that "no one's presence can change a single vote, but I hope my reasons can affect a few votes."

Republicans are "trying to scare the undecided voters about John Kerry and they're trying to scare the decided voters away from the polls," said Clinton, who also planned a solo campaign event in Florida later on Monday.

He criticized Bush for "more of the same" bad policies.

Clinton and Kerry walked on stage together, with Clinton taking a quick step up as a blizzard of confetti filled the air.

The former president smiled, waved and shook hands with some of those in the crowd at Love Park in downtown Philadelphia. Some supporters waved signs with the number "8," signifying the number of days left to the election.

"Isn't it great to have Bill Clinton (news - web sites) back on the trail?" Kerry said, drawing thunderous applause.

Kerry drew cheers of delight when he said that he had asked Clinton "if there's anything you have in common with George W. Bush? He thought for a moment and he said, 'In eight days and 12 hours, we will both be former presidents.'"

Looking thinner but speaking in a strong, but slightly hoarse voice, Clinton assailed Bush on both domestic and national security policy, challenging Bush's management of the war in Iraq (news - web sites) and presiding over an economy that has lost jobs.

"Our friends on the other side want a world where they concentrate wealth and power on the far right ... and cooperate with others only when they want to," Clinton said.

"We can do better and in eight days we're going to do better with President John Kerry," Clinton said.

The former president said Kerry turned in "three magnificent performances in those debates." Introducing Kerry, Clinton said, "Bring him on," echoing one of Kerry's signature lines.

Focusing on reports of missing explosives in Iraq, Kerry said the president had failed the test of commander in chief.

Appealing for votes in far-flung battleground states, Kerry earlier in the day signaled to voters in Iowa that he would call a "rural summit" as president to address the difficulties for people in farm states.

"A lot of the folks I met in rural Iowa and other parts of the country, Wisconsin, Minnesota, elsewhere, are feeling a sense of frustration as well as anxiety about their children and their own possibilities. They want to be able to have their kids find a job in the place where they were raised," Kerry said in a conference call with Iowa reporters.

Kerry began his day with a rally in New Hampshire and an attack on Bush for not doing more to prevent the loss of 380 tons of explosives in Iraq, calling it, "one of the great blunders of Iraq, one of the great blunders of this administration."

Clinton, in an interview broadcast Monday on ABC's "Good Morning America," said he talked to his doctors before deciding to campaign.

"I feel good. My chest is normally feeling a little bit tender in the morning but I get up and start moving around and I feel better," he said. "I just sleep and walk, read books, watch baseball, that's what I do."

Asked if he thought Kerry could win, Clinton replied, "I think so, but it's very close."

Democratic National Committee (news - web sites) Chairman Terry McAuliffe told CBS' "The Early Show" Monday he believes it's important for Clinton to "be out there talking to the base supporters of this party."

But Republican Party Chairman Ed Gillespie said Clinton's appearance with Kerry was "obviously a sign that Senator Kerry doesn't feel that he's got energized Democrats" and is hoping for "a little charisma transplant" from the former president.

Old 10-25-2004, 03:53 PM   #2
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about
Default RE:Clinton!!! Go William Go!!!

Funny how the left tries to use fear to get people to vote in a certain direction, yet they use 9-11 as a centerpoint for advertisements saying that Bush caused it. That's fear if I've ever seen it.

By the way, does Bill Clinton have any influence left?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

According to Kerry, Bush is going to reinstute the draft, slash Social Security benefits, prevent the cure of diseases, and sell us all out to the "richest 1%".

Yeah, Kerry's not trying to scare voters or anything.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:02 PM   #4
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
By the way, does Bill Clinton have any influence left?
My thought was that Clinton and "integrity, integrity, integrity" don't exactly go together. Clinton is rather polarizing. He sure isn't going to win any Bush leaners. I think any Clinton fans left are already voting for Kerry.

I just read "ARKANSAS: NO SURPRISE" at NRO-Battlegrounders about how Kerry-Edwards represent the past.

If this sinks into people's conscience and combines with Bush's assertion of Kerry's pre-9/11 mentality, Clinton will hurt, not harm.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:06 PM   #5
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Democrats are going to take a good look at Clinton today and say to themselves, "Yeah. Kerry is no Bill Clinton."

Clinton looks good. The Michael Jordan of politics-made Dole look like the Caveliers. Lord knows what he's gonna when his wife runs in four years. If Kerry loses, that is. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:07 PM   #6
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Well, regardless if you beleive this or not, Clinton is MUCH more popular to the people of the United States than either Kerry or BUSH...so yes, it can only help Kerry..i know it hurts you to beleive it, but its true..

and Mavsman- saying the left is using "fear" to get people to vote is very ironic..The whole republican campaign is based on fear..Based on the U.S. being so vulnerable to an attack, how Bush can better protect this country..that is the only issue they have been trying to hammer home for the past six months. Where have you been?
Old 10-25-2004, 04:12 PM   #7
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally posted by: reeds
Well, regardless if you beleive this or not, Clinton is MUCH more popular to the people of the United States than either Kerry or BUSH...so yes, it can only help Kerry..i know it hurts you to beleive it, but its true..

and Mavsman- saying the left is using "fear" to get people to vote is very ironic..The whole republican campaign is based on fear..Based on the U.S. being so vulnerable to an attack, how Bush can better protect this country..that is the only issue they have been trying to hammer home for the past six months. Where have you been?
The difference is that there really is a continuous threat to this country by terrorists. This cannot be denied. Kerry's fabrication of Bush's "secret plans" for a draft and Bush's "secret plans" for cutting social security benefits are completely unfounded. Does Kerry have access to some private memo from the Bush administration? If so, he would get a lot more traction if he showed it to the press. If he doesn't have any such evidence, it is clearly a scare tactic with no base.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 04:13 PM   #8
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Neither side should complain that the other is using fear to get people to vote. Both sides are doing it, and have been doing it for years now.

Fear is a powerful motivator. The question is whether fears are justified or not.

I think it is justifiable to fear that John Kerry a) would raise taxes on EVERYONE, b) would resort to appeasement tactics in foreign affairs, c) would not take the correct approach to dealing with terrorists, d) would appoint liberal Supreme Court justices, e) would attempt to repeal the Patriot Act, and f) would spend just as much (if not more) money than Bush would.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:17 PM   #9
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:

Well, Reeds, the GOP response to that is that at least the GOP campaign is based on a fear of things that actually exist or might actually happen. Draft..., privatizing Social security...

Anyway, Clinton is popular, but he wasn't soooo popular. Never got 50% of the vote. His unpopularity single-handedly gave control of congress to GOP, which has lasted for a decade. Lot of people blame Gore for not asking Clinton to campaign for him in 2000. Let me be clear-"Clinton fatigue" did exist and it was a problem for Gore. Clinton never had coattails that benefited his party.

He's popular with democrats' core constituencies and he does pretty well with women (no pun intended). But he doesn't have widespread popularity. Not to say base energizing isn't important.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Old 10-25-2004, 04:51 PM   #10
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

I think Clinton could goose as many hesitant far-right voters to the polls, as he will far-left voters that the Kerry-Dems would count on him to energize.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 06:04 PM   #11
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light

Dont forget Kerry's promise on Katie Couric's show, He said if he the president there will be no terroist attacks in the US or abroad against US interests.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NEW YORK - October 24, 2004 - Days away from the Presidential election, NBC News' Katie Couric sat down with Senator John Kerry. The interview will air Monday morning on "Today"

KERRY: "Now let me just look you and America in the eye and tell you this. Unlike Dick Cheney and George Bush, I put my life on my line for my country when it counted. I fought for this nation and I defended it as a young man. And I will defend America as President of the United States."

COURIC: "Having said that, anecdotally some voters have said, "Hey, the United States has not been attacked since September 11th. George Bush must be doing something right. And we're too nervous to vote for a change at this point in time." You would say to them?"

KERRY: "I would say to them that this administration has told you, George Bush and Dick Cheney have said to you, it is not a matter of if we're gonna be attacked. It is a matter of when...do you know that the-- that the President just the other day in an interview with Hannity and Combs said-- do you know what he said? He said he doesn't know if America will ever be safe. Well, I do know that America will be safe. Under my leadership. Because we're gonna not allow 95 percent of American containers to come in un-inspected."

COURIC: "But can you really...Senator make that guarantee-"

KERRY: "You bet--because we--can win-"

COURIC: "--that America will be safe under all circumstances?"

KERRY: "Katie, let me say this to you. We won World War II. We won the-- the-- the Cold War. We know what we can do when we put our minds to it. We haven't done a
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:02 PM   #12
Dooby
Diamond Member

Whoa. That just sounds crazy.

Old 10-25-2004, 07:33 PM   #13
reeds
Golden Member

agreed- that is just plain stupid to even say...
Old 10-25-2004, 08:48 PM   #14
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
agreed- that is just plain stupid to even say...
It's his patern. He can't help it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote