Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 10-29-2004, 02:16 AM   #1
Day1MavsFan

Day1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really niceDay1MavsFan is just really nice
Default My Dirk Observations

After watching Dirk play this preseason, I have seen the following:

- He's rebounding about the same as last year, or not up to the level of '02-'03

- He still doesn't position himself close enough to the basket before receiving the ball

- He is using a few more moves than before to get an open shot

- He's taking the ball inside more

- He's looking to pass the ball more and doing it much better

- He seems really pumped about this season

Any comments? Anyone seen anything different?
Day1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2004, 02:29 AM   #2
JLEEHASMUCHGAME

JLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enoughJLEEHASMUCHGAME will become famous soon enough
Default RE:My Dirk Observations

only got to see some of the depressing Knicks game the other night, but what I did see was that dirk did seem to be taking the ball to the hole more. I felt like I'm noticing him get more comfortable using his offhand in doing so. Also, if you look at the picture of him dunking tonight, it seems like it's been a long while since he got up like that on a dunk. Concerning passing, I cannot say for certain although grndmstr mentioned in the game thread that dirk had a couple of assists to Dampier and also a couple to Howard. I think it will be interesting to watch Dirk's assists this year. Finally, I don't think we need to worry about his rebounding at the level of 2002-2003. That year dirk played alongside Raef who might be the worst rebounding big man in the history of the game. Okay I'm probably exagerating, but I don't think I could have counted the number of times I was hoping to no avail that Raef would grab 8 boards in a game. Lunar eclipses are almost as common as Raef's double doubles.

JLEEHASMUCHGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 02:38 AM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: My Dirk Observations

Even last year when Dirk's rebounding was down he was a major boon to our defensive rebounding. Case in point, whereas the Mavs only got 66.2% of the available defensive boards with Dirk on the bench, when he was in the game that figure went up to 69.1%.
Old 10-29-2004, 07:43 AM   #4
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would love for Dirk to average 10 boards a game, but that is dependent upon who he's playing alongside. If Damp and Howard get heavy minutes, it's likely that Dirk doesn't post 10 boards a game. In the end, it's about how many boards the team comes up with and now how many boards Dirk pulls down.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:16 AM   #5
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, well Dirk has been playing a lot of small forward, and he doesn't rebound well there. Injuries have prevented him from play PF, since we have so many healthy bigs.

DevinHarriswillstart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 10:58 AM   #6
SaltwaterChaffy
Platinum Member

SaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud ofSaltwaterChaffy has much to be proud of

I always thought that one thing that went unnoticed last year was how Dirk's passing had improved. It looks even better in this preseason. I would not be shocked at all to see him average 4.5 assists a game this year, especially if this connection he has with Damp continues.

SaltwaterChaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:43 AM   #7
V
Golden Member

V has a spectacular aura aboutV has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
Ok, well Dirk has been playing a lot of small forward, and he doesn't rebound well there. Injuries have prevented him from play PF, since we have so many healthy bigs.
Actually Hendu played SF last night.

"If there's no more questions, I've got a beer that needs consuming."
-- Don Nelson
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:31 PM   #8
FineCubanCigar
Golden Member

FineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of lightFineCubanCigar is a glorious beacon of light

thats only 1 night, Dirk has been playing the 3 tons outa neccisity.
Old 10-29-2004, 06:38 PM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: FineCubanCigar
thats only 1 night, Dirk has been playing the 3 tons outa neccisity.
I'd check the facts on that one. He played about 6 minutes with Booth/Damp on the floor, but Booth was always picking up the three for some reason....
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:44 PM   #10
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

Dirk was the Starting 3 last night.
Dirk, Henderson, and Dampier started last night.
Dirk and Peja were guarding each other.
Henderson was on Webber, Dampier against Miller.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:47 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

and then dirk guarded Kevin Martin who is their SG, so he must be a SG while Howard guarded Peja.
EricaLubarsky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:53 PM   #12
mavs413
Golden Member

mavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the roughmavs413 is a jewel in the rough

It was more than a couple posessions where Dirk and Peja were going against each other.
mavs413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 06:59 PM   #13
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: mavs413
It was more than a couple posessions where Dirk and Peja were going against each other.
Paja often guards Dirk...in the past Paja has done a decent job on him. This does not mean Dirk is the three. Plus, from what I heard, Josh played much of the defense on Paja last night. It might happen, but it is rare indeed.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #14
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Sike, I would say Dirk played more defense on Pedrag than Josh (heh, I love that spelling).
Old 10-29-2004, 09:22 PM   #15
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

if Berni says it, I believe it.

they have matched up many times in the past that is beyond doubt.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote