Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-20-2002, 05:42 PM   #1
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Just because Rose is in Chicago right now doesn't mean we might not see Jalen in a Mavs jersey soon. In the off-season both guys will lose their BYC status, making it much easier to trade them. We all remember how much chicago wanted Finley this summer. Could it be that the real reason behind this deal was to make a run at him again when the conditions are better for a trade? I heard Nelson on Norm's show this morning stating that he really was interested in Rose, but that the Pacers may have been asking too much (or the Mavs couldn't really get a three way deal done). I wouldn't be suprised to hear Rose's and Finley's names mentioned again in trade rumors in the near future.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2002, 05:44 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Better be mentioned in the next 24 hours or it waits a eyar.

Doc
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2002, 05:55 PM   #3
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

That what I'm saying. The deal might go down this summer.
Old 02-20-2002, 06:23 PM   #4
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

I still say that's not a trade the Mavs make straight up, under any circumstance. I like the idea of bringing in another scorer, but bring in somebody with some hops. The Mavs need someone who doesn't rely on the jump shot. Go steal a kid from the Clippers, they have so many, they won't notice.
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:29 AM   #5
madape
Diamond Member

I was checking out the Bulls new roster and thought this was interesting. With "the Rons" gone, the Bull's shooting guard rotation now cosists of the likes of A.J. Guyton and Trenton Hassell. Both of whom played big-time minutes in tonights win over the Knicks. They've got an abundance of guys playing small forward in Rose, Fizer, and Chandler. Which makes me think they aren't done dealing. Granted Rose can play the two, but my gut feeling says that they're going to do something to get a swingman.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:36 AM   #6
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

Ummm Fizer nor Chandler plays the 3. Fizer plays alot at the 4, and Chandler at the 5 like he started at tonight with Curry at the 4. Chandler is 7 1, he surely doesn't plau the 3. IMO Rose cannot play the 2, just 3 and 1 on occasion.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 12:46 AM   #7
madape
Diamond Member

No, Fizer plays the three quite a bit. He's definitely got a PF's game with his rebounding, but his size and quickness probably lends itself more to the SF spot. He's listed as a SF on the Bulls roster btw. Chandler is more of a forward than a center, although he's been playing center quite a bit lately. Dirk plays the center at times too, but I don't think any of us really consider him a center. When Chandler was drafted, I know the Bulls were talking about playing him to small forward because of his ability to create off the dribble. I think they fancy him to be a Kevin Garnett kind of player. And yes, Rose can play the two. He is a legit three position guy. Still, even if you dispute the fact that Fizer and Chandler can play the three, and Rthat ose can play the two, my point is still valid. The bulls have zero quality shooting guards, and will likely try to pick one up soon.
Old 02-21-2002, 12:51 AM   #8
madape
Diamond Member

Here, I found this quote from Chandler's home site:

Chandler has been known to compare himself and his playing style with his favorite NBA player, Kevin Garnett. Though accustomed to playing center in high school, Chandler's lanky build, athletecism and range will likely be better suited for the small forward slot in the NBA. Chandler runs the court exceptionally well for his size and has tremendous quickness and agility. He is explosive to the hole and is a fearsome shot blocker with good range and a nice jump shot. He will have to bulk up to compete against NBA competition and will need to work on his post-up moves to compliment his finesse style.

http://www.tysonchandler.com/
Old 02-21-2002, 01:25 AM   #9
Joe Joe
Banned

Joe Joe is on a distinguished road

He maybe better suited at the 3, but he plays the 4/5 every game that I have watched, including tonight. IMO he will never be able to play the 3, the guy is to long. IMO he will be bulked up and turned into a center on this level. Especially how there is a lack of big guys in the league, especially at center. I have heard him say numerous of times that he patterns his game after KG, but that in no way means he actually plays the same position as the guy. They have Trenton Hassel playing the 2, and he has looked good this year. I know he isn't the next Kobe Bryant but he is real solid there, especially on the defensive end of the floor. Those 2 playing there combined will be a good situation for the Bulls just as it was tonight vs the Knicks. Chandler has not played a game this season at the 3, nor has Rose at the 2. Chandler has however played some at the 4, especially since Miller and Oakley has been hurt this year. I think the Bulls should stick with the team they have now, they really impressed me against the Bulls tonight.
Joe Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2002, 10:43 AM   #10
madape
Diamond Member

Here's some things other people are saying about Finley being traded this summer:

David Aldridge -
Charles (Dallas): Is Dallas going to do anything before the trading deadline? Will they move Finley?

David Aldridge: (1:17 PM ET ) I don't think they're seriously shopping Finley, just inquiring about what they'd get in return. But tune in again this summer on that.

Mike Fisher -
Finley’s contract makes it almost impossible to get value back, even if Dallas was really shopping him, which Mark Cuban denies. “Teams are asking about him,’’ one NBA source says, “but the Mavs still believe in him as part of their foundation.’’
One league exec not associated with the Mavs believes Dallas wants to see how far Finley can help the club go this year before considering a summer deal for a big man.
Old 02-21-2002, 10:51 AM   #11
madape
Diamond Member

Heh, I found this question in the same David Aldridge chat sequence as the one I quoted above.

Burg(maine): Hey D.A. Are the bulls really planning on Building around Rose, I know he'll be happy about all the shots he'll get, but how long b4 he starts getting upset about all the losing?

David Aldridge: (1:33 PM ET ) Doggone good question, Burg.

Is it possible Aldridge knows something about Rose that the Bulls aren't letting on? I know, I'm squining and trying to read between the lines here. But it's like that tootsie roll commercial. Seems like everywhere I look, I see a Bulls-Maverick deal.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:23 PM   #12
madape
Diamond Member

I saw this link from the Chicago Tribune posted on another board.. Sam Sneed is predicting that if Chicago gets stuck with the third pick, that they will trade it to Dallas for Mike Finley. The Mavs would then pick Yao Ming.

the link

Old 03-18-2002, 02:44 PM   #13
TheKid
Diamond Member

TheKid is on a distinguished road

I couldn't pull the link up but this wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the Mavericks did this. That's what I was predicting after the trade, I just have this feeling something is in the back of their minds. If Raef continues to work out as well as he has the past two games I won't be surprised to see them do something.
Old 03-18-2002, 02:47 PM   #14
madape
Diamond Member

http://www.chicagosports.com/columni...177996,00.html

While most fans are checking their NCAA tournament brackets and reeling from the upsets, pro scouts and executives are comparing notes for June's NBA draft. Many of the top projected draft picks, including three potential first-rounders from Duke, are still alive in the NCAA tournament. March Madness is the unofficial kickoff for the pro scouting madness that includes so-called predraft camps leading up to Chicago's in June and subsequent individual workouts.

The Bulls continue to lead the race for the worst record in the NBA, which will guarantee them no worse than the fourth pick. The consensus No. 1 pick is Duke guard Jason Williams, though several scouts said if high school players were eligible before their class graduates, Ohio prep sensation LeBron James would be the top pick. He's said to be a 6-foot-7-inch combination of Magic Johnson and Tracy McGrady.

Much will change as players decide to remain in school and more foreign players enter the draft. But here's an early consensus of the first round from interviews with a half-dozen NBA scouts and executives.

1. Jason Williams, 6-2, 195, jr., Duke: It's really a one-player draft. Some scouts say he's more a shooting guard, but he's a leader, which is always a need in the NBA. Defends and shoots.
2. Mike Dunleavy Jr., 6-9, 220, jr., Duke: Most scouts say 7-5 center Yao Ming of China will go second, but not if you're the Bulls. Dunleavy is a Jerry Krause-type player, a good shooter, ballhandler (he was a point guard in high school) and passer who is a classic NBA small forward.
3. Yao Ming, 7-5, 283, Shanghai Sharks: A perimeter big man. There has been a great deal of intrigue about him for several years, but many consider him a better version of Shawn Bradley. If he falls to the Bulls, look for a trade. Dallas would love him. Michael Finley would fit well with Jalen Rose and Tyson Chandler.
4. Drew Gooden, 6-10, 230, jr., Kansas: He needs to get stronger, not unusual with college players. But he's close to a classic power forward because of his size. Soft shooting touch, good low-post moves and quick. Also a good jumper.
5. Dajuan Wagner, 6-3, 200, fr., Memphis: Hasn't quite lived up to the hype in college, and he'll probably stay another year. An Allen Iverson-type point guard, a sure-fire scorer.
6. Qyntel Woods, 6-9, 225, soph., Northeast Mississippi Junior College: The latest rage, the junior college player. Drawing Tracy McGrady comparisons. He's a scorer who averaged more than 30 per game and is a good passer.
7. Curtis Borchardt, 7-0, 230, jr., Stanford: Has had foot problems. Helped himself already with his game against Western Kentucky center Chris Marcus. Needs strength but has skills. He can shoot, block shots and rebound, though he's more of a finesse player now.
8. Jared Jeffries, 6-10, 215, soph., Indiana. Good all-around player, a rare pro prospect from Indiana. Needs time in the weight room to build up to power forward. Can hit threes, pass and handle the ball.
9. Amare Stoudamire, 6-9, 240, sr., Cypress Creek (Fla.) High School: Mercifully, not much of a high school class this year. He's probably the only one in the first round, an extremely tough kid.
10. Nikoloz Tskitishvili, 6-11, 210, Benetton Treviso (Italy): Another teenager, but we've seen the difference when they play overseas. Though a native of the former Soviet republic of Georgia, he has played in Italy for former NBA coach Mike D'Antoni, who raves about him.
Old 03-18-2002, 11:59 PM   #15
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

It wouldn't surprise me either.

Why?

It's SO like Nelson to trade away a 2-time all-star on a player that might be NBA ready in 3-5 years.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:01 AM   #16
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

with finley stepping up his play recently..well, it poses a couple of questions.. does this just increase his trade value?..yes, of course it does a bit..
or, does this just reassure the mavs that fin is a player they want to keep on their team.

personally, i go with the second one..and i'm sure the mavs do too
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 12:24 AM   #17
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

I sincerely do NOT want to see Finley traded for anything other than a proven NBA player. There's no way you trade him for a chance at Yao frickin' Ming. No way.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:36 AM   #18
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

<< I sincerely do NOT want to see Finley traded for anything other than a proven NBA player. There's no way you trade him for a chance at Yao frickin' Ming. No way. >>

I doubt most fans would trade Finley for Ming, but wouldn't hesitate if it was on a certain proven player.

But, most of us don't think like Nelson. Ming is definitely the type of player Nelson would LOVE to have on this team and I seriously doubt he'd think twice about trading Finley to get him.

Nelson is probably already salivating at the prospect of using a front line of Ming, Raef and Dirk. And why wouldn't he, even if it meant waiting 2-3 years for Ming to get adjusted enough? In 2-3 years I don't think Shaq will be as dominant and if he's serious about retiring, well what better time to think about getting a center that could be dominant after Shaq is gone?

It definitely sounds like a Nelson trade.

Old 03-19-2002, 01:14 AM   #19
Epitome22
Golden Member

Epitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the roughEpitome22 is a jewel in the rough

I like Rose, he's a solid and most definitly IMO an underrated NBA player. The guy is like a poor man's Scottie Pippen with less defensive capability(still pretty solid though) But Finley (who I have been down on this year) has been playing at a rate that makes me think that even if Rose is better than Finley overall, Pulling off a trade just isn't really worth it.
Epitome22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2002, 01:54 AM   #20
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of

Not to mention, I really don't like Rose. He's a cry baby when he doesn't get his way.
Old 03-19-2002, 10:32 AM   #21
madape
Diamond Member

Yeah, and I know that Krause has made some questionable moves, but a Finley for Rose and Ming deal seems like a really bad trade for them.
Old 03-19-2002, 12:53 PM   #22
TheKid
Diamond Member

I thought they were saying they would trade Finley for the third draft spot which means they would be trading Fin for Yao Ming. If they traded Rose and that spot for Fin, that would BE EXTREMELY dumb on the Bulls part and I LOVE Fin as a player but hell I would even do that if I'm the Mavs.
Old 03-19-2002, 03:26 PM   #23
madape
Diamond Member

Finley will bring with him a hell of a big contract. The Bulls would have to give back something. Rose's deal is about the same as Finley's, so I think the trade would work under the CBA. However, I've got to beleive that even Krause wouldn't trade Rose AND a #3 pick for Finley. There would have to be something more involved in order to sweeten the pot for the Bulls, and I don't think the Mavs have anything else they would be interested in.
Old 03-19-2002, 04:10 PM   #24
TheKid
Diamond Member

That I agree with Madape, however I really have a feeling Cuban has some plan in mind.
Old 03-22-2002, 01:18 AM   #25
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< Finley will bring with him a hell of a big contract. The Bulls would have to give back something. >>

The Bulls are under the cap - they can take Finley's contract without giving any contracts back.

But I wouldn't trade Fin for Ming. It wouldn't be a couple of years to develop him, it might not EVER happen unless Ming stays in the states year round to learn NBA basketball. Just like Wang is still way behind the curve.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2002, 01:24 AM   #26
MavsFanFinley
Guru

I read that wrong too. I thought it was Finley for Ming.

If it is Rose/Ming for Finley, the Mavs won't hesitate doing so, imo.

On the other hand, why would the Bulls even consider this? I know they've made some very questionable moves, but they would have given up Miller, Artest (and whoever else they traded to the Pacers), Rose, Ming all for Finley and Best? That just does not make sense, even for the pathetic Bulls.
Old 03-28-2002, 05:49 PM   #27
madape
Diamond Member

I just thought I'd keep the thread alive with the newest update on this situation. This is from ESPN Insider.

Bulls -- They have too many young projects and will have another lottery pick to boot this summer. Don't be surprised to see the Bulls package their No. 1 (unless they have the top pick in the draft and a shot at Duke's Jason Williams, then all bets are off) and either Marcus Fizer or Jamal Crawford (or both) for a veteran All-Star to give Jalen Rose some help. The way Jerry Krause is talking, he thinks the Bulls are going to make a big upgrade this summer.