Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-01-2004, 09:46 AM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sprewell Wants Trade

Sprewell wants trade

BY MIKE WELLS, Pioneer Press

Swingman says Wolves are dragging feet on a new deal

Latrell Sprewell thinks he will not receive a contract extension before Wednesday's season opener against the New York Knicks, so the swingman wants a trade.

Sprewell, who is in the last year of his contract, added fuel to the fire Sunday when he said the contract the Wolves have offered him is "insulting."

"I pretty much told them I don't want what they're talking about," he said. "So if we can't work it out, work something out with somebody else."

The Wolves are believed to be offering Sprewell, 34, a three-year, $27 million extension, which likely is substantially more than what he would receive if he becomes a free agent at the end of the season. Some say Sprewell probably would be offered a team's midlevel exception, which is about $5.1 million a season, or slightly more than that if he becomes a free agent.

Sprewell doesn't believe the Wolves are offering enough for his value to the team. He told the Pioneer Press and a reporter from New York on Oct. 21 he wants a deal completed by Wednesday Sprewell never has negotiated during the season, and he won't continue talking once the season starts.

"I'm not trying to stay the year here, I will say that," he said. "If they don't want to sign me, I want to go somewhere else."

Coach Flip Saunders and owner Glen Taylor declined to comment. Vice president of operations Kevin McHale was unavailable for comment Sunday.

The Wolves have the final say in trading Sprewell, but that won't stop him from trying.

"I don't know, whatever I can," he said. "If they don't want to pay me, why would I want to stay here and risk injury and sit there and be with nothing, no contract? If something happens to me, who is going to look out for Spree then? Nobody."

A possible solution for Sprewell would be to play out his contract, help the Wolves in their quest for an NBA title, then leave as a free agent. He said he won't re-sign if he becomes a free agent.

"Why would I want to help them win a title?" he said. "They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed. Anything can happen; it's a long season. You never know."

Sprewell's $14.6 million salary this season is tied with eight other players for the ninth highest in the league. To put that into context, Sprewell's salary is more than double that of Indiana's Ron Artest and Detroit's Richard Hamilton, players who are more than five years younger and considered better than Sprewell.

Sprewell seems most upset about the timing. He thought something would be done more than three months ago. Sprewell had the option to walk away from his contact at the end of last season, but he says the Wolves gave him the impression he would have a new deal by the end of July. However, talks quickly ceased, leaving Sprewell wondering how important he is to the team.

"It's not tough; it's disappointing," he said. "You would think after what we were able to accomplish last year, they would be at least offering something decent."

Sprewell, who has an injured right ankle, went through a contact practice Sunday for the first time in a couple of weeks, but he is not sure if he will play Wednesday.

"It's not 100 percent. I'm able to run, but I'm still taking my time," he said. "I can play this way, but I'll see how I feel. I'll decide after Tuesday."

When he does take the court, Sprewell said he will play the way he always does, which is hard and with a lot of passion.

"I coach my guys when they step on the floor. My guys step on the floor, and they give me 100 percent and that's all I ask," Saunders said.

Sunday's was the latest episode in which Sprewell voiced animosity toward the front office. Besides setting a deadline for when he wanted an extension, Sprewell told the Pioneer Press on Friday that he was proving a point on how serious he is about getting a deal done when he skipped the team's luncheon Thursday at Target Center.

Wolves officials can try to disguise things all they want by saying the situation is not going to distract them from what they are trying to accomplish on the court, but with the season two days away, it looks as if the turmoil will carry into the season. Sam Cassell also is seeking an extension.

Nothing has been promised to Cassell, who has two years left on his deal, but all indications pointed to the Wolves taking care of Sprewell and then moving on to Cassell.

"I want what I deserve," Cassell said Friday. "Nothing more, nothing less. Me and Spree aren't valuable enough? Kevin is the man; me and Spree are his sidekicks. You pay this guy and that guy, and we're supposed to be happy about everything? It doesn't work like that."

Mike Wells covers the Timberwolves and the NBA. He can be reached at mwells@pioneerpress.com.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:40 AM   #2
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light
Default RE:Sprewell Wants Trade

So do the Twolves move down a notch on the list of contenders with Sprewell playing at 50 to 75% every night?

What a punk, as well. It's one thing to complain about not earning your value as an NBA player, like Cassell (whom I also don't support in his whinings, but at least he is underpaid by NBA standards). Offering Sprewell $9 million per year is quite generous, and should "feed his family" for the next couple of years after he retires, notwithstanding the $15 million he is making this season.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 10:42 AM   #3
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Sprewell Wants Trade

I want to see Spreewell's supporters, (or should I say supporter), come to bat for this jack ass now!

Talk about putting yourself before your team!!! Damn!
Old 11-01-2004, 10:54 AM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Making the situation worse is the fact that Sprewell is apparently representing himself. I don't know if he fired his agent, but it was reported that he's "handling” the negotiations himself. I would think an agent would have a better grasps of his market value.

Quote:
You would think after what we were able to accomplish last year, they would be at least offering something decent
If I didn't know any better, I would have thought they won the title last season.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:55 AM   #5
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

"Why would I want to help them win a title?" he said. "They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed. Anything can happen; it's a long season. You never know."

The collapse of the house of cards begins. Goody.
Ain't no way both Cassell and Spreewell will be happy there. The Wolves can't afford to pay both of them big time.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:01 AM   #6
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
"If they don't want to pay me, why would I want to stay here and risk injury and sit there and be with nothing, no contract? If something happens to me, who is going to look out for Spree then? Nobody."
and
classy

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 11:03 AM   #7
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
You would think after what we were able to accomplish last year, they would be at least offering something decent
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

dirno: If I didn't know any better, I would have thought they won the title last season.
or that 9 FREAKIN MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR WAS NOT DECENT!

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 11-01-2004, 11:15 AM   #8
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

I still like spree. don't really appreciate his behavior, but he's still a good player.
Old 11-01-2004, 11:18 AM   #9
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

GOOD players should have no right asking for max contracts at his age... That really makes him look like an ass!
Old 11-01-2004, 11:20 AM   #10
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed.
good grief. What's he feeding his kids? gold?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 12:16 PM   #11
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Probably one of the most rediculous statements ever by an NBA player.
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:29 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
offering Sprewell, 34, a three-year, $27 million extension
Sounds fair for a 34 year old guard of his caliber.

It really sucks when you build your championship team around a bunch of sniveling, egotistical, over-thirties.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 01:33 PM   #13
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

What an ass.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:38 PM   #14
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

*tear*
Quote:

won't you please help out. You can help out NBA players and their families by calling now. For only $24,657.53 a day (and $109,756 per game) you can help players like Latrel Sprewel support themselves and their families. NBA players can't support themselves so please call now.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #15
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

I don't believe this one has been posted. I especially like the part where Sprewell says" Why would I want to help them win a title?"

Sprewell to seek trade without deal by deadline
Kent Youngblood
Star Tribune
Published November 1, 2004

The clock is ticking down toward the Timberwolves' first game, and Latrell Sprewell's rhetoric is picking up.

On Sunday, Sprewell said he didn't think he and the Wolves would be able to reach agreement on a contract extension by the Wednesday deadline he set more than a week ago. If no deal is struck by then, he said he wants to be traded.

"I think this thing is heading towards me leaving, personally," Sprewell said after taking part in Sunday's practice at the Wolves' workout facility. "That's my feeling on it."

Would Sprewell be interested in playing out the season, trying to win a title, then testing the free-agent market?

"Why would I want to help them win a title?" he asked. "They're not doing anything for me. I'm at risk. I have a lot of risk here. I got my family to feed. Anything could happen."

Sprewell, who is scheduled to be paid $14.6 million this season, said he wouldn't want to be with the team this season without an extension in place.

"I just don't see myself being here," Sprewell said.

Asked how he would persuade the Wolves to trade him, Sprewell said: "I don't know, whatever I can. If they don't want to pay me, why would I want to stay here and risk injury, then sit there and be with nothing? Something happens to me, who's going to look out for Spree then? Nobody."

Sprewell indicated that the two sides have talked but that the Wolves' offer wasn't acceptable. Sprewell has been quoted as saying he didn't want to take a pay cut, though it is unlikely he would command that large a contract on the free-agent market.

On Sunday, Sprewell said he doubted there would be further talks before the opener.

Indications are that Sprewell has taken over responsibility for the negotiations from agent Robert Gist. Wolves vice president of basketball operations Kevin McHale was unavailable for comment Sunday. Owner Glen Taylor, reached at his Mankato home, declined to comment.

"It's insulting to me, that's the way I look at it," Sprewell said of the offer. "It's just disappointing. You would think, with what we were able to accomplish last year, they would ... at least offer something decent."

It is a situation that could hurt team chemistry. Both Sprewell and point guard Sam Cassell -- under contract for both this and next season -- have said they want contract extensions. Both players missed the Wolves' kickoff luncheon. Cassell has said he thinks Sprewell should be the top priority between the two.

"I'm not really going to get into it," Wolves coach Flip Saunders said. "You know me: I coach who's on the floor. If guys are hurt, I don't worry about it, I put it out of my mind. ... Our guys have always stepped on the floor and played hard. I don't think that will change. ... All I know is that Spree, when he steps on the floor, has given me 100 percent, and I don't think that will change. Whether it's Spree, Sam [Cassell] or anybody. When he's healthy, he's given me everything."

Sprewell, who missed significant time during the preseason because of an ankle injury, practiced Sunday. But it's clear there are more pressing matters than the ankle -- matters that apparently need to be solved one way or another by Wednesday night.

"I pretty much told them I don't want what they were talking about," Sprewell said.
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 02:29 PM   #16
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

where is a career-ending injury when one is deserved?

Hey Spree... it's a PRIVILEGE... not a RIGHT.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:02 PM   #17
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I don't agree with Spree acting like he's outside of the team now.. and even though he's my favorite player, it's probably time for him to stop trashing the team and start playing serious ball. If he plays to the best of his ability, I'm sure he can get a pretty nice contract either with or without the Wolves next season.

Spree's the biggest piece of the puzzle that got the Wolves past the first round of the playoffs last season, I think that should at least be of note.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 03:07 PM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Spree's the biggest piece of the puzzle that got the Wolves past the first round of the playoffs last season, I think that should at least be of note.
If it were true it would be worth noting, but it isn't.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:13 PM   #19
poohrichardson

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
Quote:
If it were true it would be worth noting, but it isn't.
Who is then? Cassell? The guy that crumbled to pieces during the playoffs, leaving the Wolves with Darrick (what's-his-name) for the Lakers series? Spree played very good ball during the playoffs on both ends of the court, shutting up Denver in the first round and shutting down Mike Bibby in the second round. They were just overmatched by the Lakers. Spree in his prime could guard Kobe now, I'd argue, but he didn't even match up with Kobe, Hassell did. And Kobe torched the Wolves nearly every game of the series.

Spree and KG were the only reliable scorers for the Wolves during the playoffs.. how can you say he wasn't as big a piece as Cassell?
Old 11-01-2004, 03:26 PM   #20
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Game 1 vs. the Nuggets: Sam goes for 40, Spree goes for 11
Game 2 vs. the Nuggets: Sam goes for 12, Spree goes for 31
Game 4 vs. the Nuggets: Sam goes for 15, Spree goes for 13
Game 5 vs. the Nuggets: Sam goes for 26, Spree goes for 19

Those are the Wolves 4 wins that got them out of the first round. Sam outscored Spree in 3 out of those 4 games and was considerably more efficient in putting up those totals. Beyond that, Sam was easily the better player throughout the regular season, which was instrumental in getting them homecourt in the first round, without which they would have had a considerably more difficult matchup to start the playoffs.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:34 PM   #21
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

Stackhouse (in his last uninjured season)
21.5ppg, 40.9% shooting, 29.0% 3pt%, 87,8% FT, 3.7rpg, 4.5apg, 0.93spg, 0.40bpg, 2.76TOpg in 39.2mpg

Latrell Sprewell (last season with Minnesota)
16.8ppg, 40.9%shooting, 30.4% 3pt%, 81.4% FT, 3.8rpg, 3.5apg, 1.07spg, 0.26bpg, 1.93TOpg in 37.8mpg

Stackhouse earned $6,375,000 that year. Sprewell earned $11,937,500 in the year

What is he worth at 34 and what will he be worth at 37? That's a tricky one, but he certainly isnt worth 9million a year even if he continues to put up the same numbers that he has the past few seasons. At 9-12 million, he was not the most extremely overpaid player in the league but he certainly was paid about 2-4 million a year more than he was worth.

Stackhouse will earn 9.2million by the ned of his contract (when he is 32), I wouldnt expect Stackhouse to start his next contract at 9million a year.

The money certainly isnt ridiculous. It's the attitude that Sprewell is bringing. He is clearly highlighting his philosophy: his desire for money is more important than his involvement with any team.

Quote:
If they don't want to pay me, why would I want to stay here and risk injury and sit there and be with nothing, no contract? If something happens to me, who is going to look out for Spree then? Nobody
this sidenote to Spree: they offered you 9 million a year, Spree. That is overpaying for your services. You are trying to milk the wolves for everything that they have so you can have an extra million or six. If you ended your career at 35 (like many guards do), at the end of this season, you'd still be have a net worth of over 100 million dollars.

To put things into perspective, if you took the offer that Minnesota had put on the table, you would earn what I earn in a year's worth of work, every single day of the year, regardless of whether you are playing or on your 6-month vacation why do you need more? And why would you hurt your team to squeeze that extra money out of them.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:36 PM   #22
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Miami trades: SG Eddie Jones (17.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.2 apg in 37.0 minutes)
SF Udonis Haslem (7.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 24.0 minutes)
Miami receives: SG Latrell Sprewell (16.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.5 apg in 37.8 minutes)
Change in team outlook: -7.8 ppg, -6.3 rpg, and -0.4 apg.

Minnesota trades: SG Latrell Sprewell (16.8 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.5 apg in 37.8 minutes)
Minnesota receives: SG Eddie Jones (17.3 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 3.2 apg in 81 games)
SF Udonis Haslem (7.3 ppg, 6.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 75 games)
Change in team outlook: +7.8 ppg, +6.3 rpg, and +0.4 apg.
Old 11-01-2004, 03:41 PM   #23
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Sprewell is at BEST the third best player on that team... AT BEST!
Old 11-01-2004, 03:43 PM   #24
sike
The Preacha

Quote:
obvious man says: "I'd take KG as the biggest piece".....

Old 11-01-2004, 03:52 PM   #25
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

How much family does Sprewell have to feed that $27 million plus the $14+ million that he'll earn this week won't feed them for the next several decades? What does he have a family of 1000 Oliver Miller's???? Even then his salary would be more than enough. Hey Spree just take your family to CiCi's. It's about 4 bucks with tax. That gives about 10 million meals give or take a few hundred thousand. And even for Oliver Miller it's still $4!!!. BTW Your salary of 14 million dollars + 27 million new contract would feed 234 people 3 meals a day at CiCi's for 40 years.

Geeze, $9 million dollars for a 35 year old swingman who isn't any better than 3rd bannana on his own team is ridiculously high. Spreewell is definitely a drama queen.

Quote:
Well I can think of 14+ million reasons that he should want to help them, i.e. his salary in dollars. What a complete ass.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:05 PM   #26
poohrichardson

I'm not going to spend all day defending Spree, because I've already said I don't agree with him complaining about a contract extension, but I will say this:

Comparing Sprewell to Stackhouse is laughable. Spree is a smarter player, not to mention he works his ass off on BOTH ends of the floor, unlike Stack.

By "biggest piece of the puzzle," I meant "most important addition," so I'm sorry if I could have phrased that better.

I won't bother arguing that Spree is better than Cassell anymore, lest I get stats crammed in my face.

And folks... 90% of pro athletes are selfish! That's just the nature of the beast.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:18 PM   #27
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Spree is starting to panic. He realizes that he is getting older and his stats are likely getting worse. Strong arming you team isn't the right way of getting an extension. In fact, these actions will likely hurt his cause. Do you think that McHale wants to pay him a large extension after hearing this crap come out of his mouth?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 04:21 PM   #28
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Do you think that McHale wants to pay him a large extension after hearing this crap come out of his mouth?
Especially when it's likely to come up again in 2 years. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]
Old 11-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #29
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

For his age, Spree should just thank his stars, take the $27m/3yr deal and run without looking back.

Outside of Minnesota, he wouldn't get the MLE for 3years.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 05:26 PM   #30
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

Who in the world is going to want to trade for Sprewell, when you take into account the entire package (hideous salary, unrealistic extension demands, attitude, age)?

Answer: Nobody.

The Wolves are stuck with Sprewell until the end of this season, and you better believe that in spite of all of that nonsense about "I'm not going to help them when they're not helping me" talk, Sprewell will play, because he has to do so to collect his checks.

Beyond that, if they're offering him 3 years, $27m to stay, and he turns it down, he's a fool.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:30 PM   #31
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Who in the world is going to want to trade for Sprewell, when you take into account the entire package (hideous salary, unrealistic extension demands, attitude, age)?
Don't forget the "little" incident a few years ago when he went postal and choked his coach.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:48 PM   #32
poohrichardson

Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
Don't forget the "little" incident a few years ago when he went postal and choked his coach.
You mean Carelisimo (sp?)? I read that he actually called Spree up during the 02-03 season and said he forgave him.
Old 11-01-2004, 06:38 PM   #33
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

if you're mchale you gotta let this dumbass go

shooting guards are a dime a dozen......
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2004, 06:51 PM   #34
irontoad
Golden Member

irontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to allirontoad is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally posted by: EricaLubarsky
*tear*
Quote:

won't you please help out. You can help out NBA players and their families by calling now. For only $24,657.53 a day (and $109,756 per game) you can help players like Latrel Sprewel support themselves and their families. NBA players can't support themselves so please call now.

LOL, that's freaking hilarious! This guy is too much. "Why would I want to help them win a title?" Hmmm, about the concept of staying with a great team and winning a title for yourself, jackass.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:59 AM   #35
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

I actually liked Spree last year b/c of his play and escape from the dreaded NYC.

But now, he's just a bitch. I can't wait until he's 41, realizes his bitching in 2004 lost him a chance at a title, and his extra 9 million dollars isn't helping his sense of loss at all. Maybe then he'd try an MJ-like-comeback and look like even more of an ass.

Spree: you are a bitch, I feel sorry for you if these are truly your priorities.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 12:05 PM   #36
LRB
Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by: poohrichardson
Quote:
Originally posted by: LRB
Quote:
You mean Carelisimo (sp?)? I read that he actually called Spree up during the 02-03 season and said he forgave him.
Doesn't really matter if PJ forgave him or not. What matters is that Spree has a loose cannon personality that is once again showing through. I definitely wouldn't want him on the Mavs for chemistry reasons alone. And I wouldn't hire him to work in any capacity for me if I had the $100 million or so it would take to hire him. The guy is a low class jerk and has serious anger management issues.
Old 11-04-2004, 09:40 PM   #37
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Heard today at Mike and Mike in the morning that he said: "If they don't do anything for me, why should I even try and help this team win a championship."
Old 11-04-2004, 10:13 PM   #38
birdsanctuary
Platinum Member

birdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to allbirdsanctuary is a name known to all

When you play with FIRE you get BURNED!

WOLVES CRASH AND BURN!!!!!
Old 11-05-2004, 02:57 PM   #39
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Sprewell has probably cemented his spot as the biggest asspirate in the NBA. What a tool.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote