Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-04-2004, 08:02 PM   #1
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Frustrated James gets away from hecklers

Frustrated James gets away from hecklers

By Brian Windhorst, Beacon Journal staff writer

DENVER - The Cavaliers passed a test Thursday night, but it didn't have anything to do with their impressive 92-73 road victory over the Denver Nuggets.

Once LeBron James left the floor for good with about six minutes to play, it signaled a mass exodus from the sold-out Pepsi Center but not the end of the intrigue. With the gathering sparse and the effects of alcohol starting to show up, several groups of fans began heckling the Cavaliers' bench in the waning moments of the blowout.

After the brawl at the Palace of Auburn Hills last month, everyone in the NBA is more sensitive about these situations. While the hecklers were ribbing just about anyone wearing wine and gold, James was the main target.

After a few minutes, a frustrated James got up from the bench and told his teammates "I gotta get away from these guys" and moved down to the baseline for the remainder of the game.

Moments later, security officials ejected one of the hecklers.

The fans in Denver are right behind the bench with no barrier in between.

"I felt like some things could've gotten out of hand so I was just trying to control myself the best way I could," James said after the game. "You have to be very careful after what happened (in Detroit)."

The brawl in Detroit was triggered when someone in the stands threw a cup at Indiana's Ron Artest. Not that such a situation was brewing in Denver, but at least two of the hecklers had cups of beer. James' actions seemed to diffuse the situation and also seemed to make the security officials take notice.

"The fans were right behind us and in our ear," Drew Gooden said. "They say you have to be the bigger person, but there is only so much you can take. It's not like you can't hear them."

Cavaliers coach Paul Silas has been hearing from hecklers throughout his 40-year NBA career.

Last season he even got into an entertaining little exchange with a heckler in Detroit who was sitting in the same section where this season's brawl broke out.

He took Thursday's situation with a grain of salt, but he was pleased the way his team handled it.

"That is normal stuff. As long as they don't curse, they can heckle all they want," Silas said. "I thought we handled it well."

Link
Old 12-04-2004, 08:34 PM   #2
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Frustrated James gets away from hecklers

Better man

Lesser being
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2004, 01:35 AM   #3
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future
Default RE: Frustrated James gets away from hecklers

Is that Bron-Bron's baby momma?
Old 12-05-2004, 09:17 AM   #4
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

I can't see anyone heckling LeBron. This kid is a fabulous player and is all about team. He'll do whatever it takes to win the game for his teammates. I am very impressed by his leadership skills and his maturity. On the likeability scale he ranks right up there with Shaq.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 12:06 PM   #5
Rod1975
Golden Member

Rod1975 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
I can't see anyone heckling LeBron. This kid is a fabulous player and is all about team. He'll do whatever it takes to win the game for his teammates. I am very impressed by his leadership skills and his maturity. On the likeability scale he ranks right up there with Shaq.
Shaq? Shaq is an arrogant egomaniac that is only funny because of his boundless stupidity and quoteable sound bytes.

Personally, I think LeBron and Shaq are on opposite ends of the likeability spectrum.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:53 PM   #6
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: Rod1975
Quote:
Originally posted by: GP
Shaq? Shaq is an arrogant egomaniac that is only funny because of his boundless stupidity and quoteable sound bytes.

Personally, I think LeBron and Shaq are on opposite ends of the likeability spectrum.
Shaq is a man doing his best to act like a boy.
LeBron is a boy doing his best to act like a man.

Both of them keep their nose clean and that equates to likeablity.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:11 PM   #7
endtroducing
Golden Member

endtroducing is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
seriously stupid comment.
Old 12-06-2004, 01:17 PM   #8
GP

GP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to allGP is a name known to all

Well, a couple of years ago Shaq came to TAMU-C and had a basketball camp. He was about he nicest person anyone would ever meet. He was great with the kids and was polite to everyone. I have never ever heard anything bad about him. If you listen to him when his isn't trying to be a clown and he is a very respectful person, especially towards his parents. As a teacher I can't tell you how much that kind of a role model means to young people. I think if you don't like shaq then you don't like good people. Plain and simple.
GP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:42 PM   #9
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
Quote:
What is so stupid about that?

I think he is asking if the woman pictured is the mother of Lebron's (much publicized) baby.
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:59 PM   #10
seal614

seal614 is on a distinguished road

Shaq as always seemed like a no-bullshit kinda guy. He's pretty funny too when trying his best to sound stupid, we all know he's got more going on up top.

- Brian
seal614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 03:57 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

There is no clear answer on Shaq's classiness. Shaq has certainly been the better man on many, many occasions. On the court he is a very classy guy.

Off the court he is classy in everything but his media-publicized pot-shots. Those really hold me back from making the statement that Shaq is a very classy guy in general.

EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 06:45 PM   #12
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: endtroducing
Quote:
my apologies end - what i meant to say was

"who dat be?"