Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 12-08-2004, 11:35 PM   #1
fin4life

fin4life is on a distinguished road
Default Dickau had 17

Against the Knicks tonight, Dan Dickau scored 17 points. The wierd part is, he was 6-16. I cant believe he has the freedom on that team to shoot it 16 times.
fin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2004, 11:38 PM   #2
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Dickau had 17

What if he becomes a player?I mean a good player. I always thought he had some potential until he came to the Mavs. He seemed like a sure IR player when he was for us. Granted, one game means nothing it's I can't see the same Dickau that played for us putting up 17 for any team. I also can't believe he got the chance to shoot 17 times. Hornest must be a much worse situation than I thought.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2004, 08:04 AM   #3
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Byron Scott is gasping for air. Not much longer.

Scott Is Stuck Between a Swamp and the Bayou
By HOWARD BECK

Published: December 9, 2004

NEW ORLEANS, Nov. 8 - Byron Scott swapped the swamp for the bayou and left the Hudson for the Mississippi, but his surroundings have hardly changed. His team is depleted by injuries and neglect, the arena is half empty and the fan base is withering and depressed.

The only difference between the team that fired Scott and the one that hired him is that, presumably, the New Orleans Hornets actually want to win. But injuries robbed Scott's new team of its All-Star point guard (Baron Davis), its starting small forward (Jamal Mashburn) and its All-Star center (Jamaal Magloire), and the Hornets are struggling just to compete.

The Hornets, who play the Nets at the Meadowlands on Friday, were beaten by the Knicks Wednesday night, 86-79, and fell to 1-16, the worst record in the league.

So Scott, who still has many friends in the Nets' organization and in the Nets' locker room, will struggle to muster much sympathy for his old team.

"Sympathy?" Scott said, with an incredulous grin. "You think they have sympathy for what we're going through over here? No, it's the N.B.A. Nobody feels sorry for anybody in this league. I have my own set of problems. That's why I'm not paying attention to what they're doing over there."

Then again, it's difficult to ignore the rapid, intentional deconstruction of a team that 18 months ago was in the N.B.A. Finals. Last summer, the Nets chose to trade Kenyon Martin rather than pay him, dumped the contract of Kerry Kittles and let a number of free agents leave.

The team that Scott coached to back-to-back Eastern Conference titles, in 2002 and 2003, hardly exists, even with Jason Kidd back in the lineup after recovering from knee surgery. The Nets' new ownership group, led by the developer Bruce Ratner, is focused on a brighter future in Brooklyn, at the expense of having a competitive team now in East Rutherford.

"I was a little surprised by it," Scott said of the Nets' sudden decline. "You had a team that you think that they might given them one more year, see if they could get back, because the nucleus was still there. But I've been in the business long enough to understand that once the new owners take over, they're going to do what they want to do with the team."

So Martin was traded to Denver and Kittles went to the Clippers, and Rodney Rogers and Lucious Harris were sent away via free agency. Scott, who was fired after 44 games last season, was not around to watch his employer break up his team, and he is almost grateful for it.

"That would have been tough," he said, "because like I said, I've got some serious ties with some guys over there. Seeing Kenyon in a Denver uniform when we played them was different."

Scott said he looked forward to seeing Richard Jefferson, Jason Collins and others he coached with the Nets. He said his return to Continental Arena for the first time since his dismissal will be "interesting," but nothing more.

Before the Hornets hired Scott in May, his name was frequently linked to other expected coaching vacancies, chief among them the one with the Los Angeles Lakers. The Lakers did let Phil Jackson go, but Scott, who played most of his career for the Lakers, said he had no regrets about taking the Hornets job rather than waiting for another opportunity.

He compared the Hornets' predicament to the one he encountered in 2000, his first season with the Nets.

"It's almost like Jersey in the sense that the first year we never really had a healthy team the whole year," he said. "We didn't get a chance to see if there was anything there or not. So, same situation, different time. That's all."

MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 12:51 PM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future
Default RE: Dickau had 17

I bet Baron and Mag aren't injured...its just a plot to get the #1 pick in the draft and be very competitive in the seasons to come... Just like the Spurs getting Duncan when DR was injured a season.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #5
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally posted by: DubOverdose
I bet Baron and Mag aren't injured...its just a plot to get the #1 pick in the draft and be very competitive in the seasons to come... Just like the Spurs getting Duncan when DR was injured a season.

I think that's the only thing that can get them out of this mess. You look at there core of players which consist of Baron, PJ, Maglore, Mash(?) and JR Smith they and you add a number overall pick to that? They definately will be heading into the right direction.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

14 points for Dickau

(achem, 4-12)
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:52 PM   #7
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

Dickau has been scoring, but his shooting percentages are awful. Since his strength (supposedly) is his shooting, that doesnt impress me. On a better team, he likely wouldnt play - what good is a lousy percentage "shooter"?
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 09:47 AM   #8
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

Dickau-----23 points on 8 of 13 shooting..................WOW!!!!!
2 for 5 3 pointers, 5 rebounds, 4 assists

against the warriors as New Orleans beats the Warriors!!!!!!

something we couldn't get done
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 11:48 AM   #9
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
beats the Warriors!!!!!! something we couldn't get done
November 8th, 2004. 101-98 Mavs.

and I really can't find anything to admire about the Hornets right now. I'd rather be 15-9 with the underacheiving Mavs than 2-19 with the Hornets. Even bad teams beat good teams sometimes and sometimes horrible teams beat bad teams.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 02:06 PM   #10
Eman

Eman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to allEman is a name known to all

i completely agree Erica, I like our team a lot. My biggest point was that Dickau had an impressive day, best I've heard of him playing. We have a lot of swingmen here so he probably would never get a chance to play here anyway. But if he becomes a good sharpshooter, an extra guy to spread the defense and hit 3s a la Steve Kerr, we could have used that.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote