Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-06-2005, 03:51 PM   #1
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default Video gamers: Have you guys played MLB 2k5?

For the guys who haven't played it I recommend it to any fan of PS2 or XBox. I'm not a huge fan of baseball but I watch the Rangers anytime I get the chance but you don't even have ot bea fan of baseball in order to enjoy this game. Definately the best baseball game i've ever played which isn't saying much because i've only played the Triple Play series and the All Star Baseball series. The best thing about it is that it's only 19.99. This is the 3rd release from Sega i've purchased and they've all been exceptional. And for the franchise mode fans it's the deepest i've ever seen in a game.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-2005, 08:01 PM   #2
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Video gamers: Have you guys played MLB 2k5?

man, screw that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

MVP baseball has been the best baseball game on the market since it's debut in 2003. EA changed the name from Triple Play, because it was that different. Even EA hated Triple Play. and i just got this year's MVP Baseball (only $29.99, which is a huge price drop for EA on their sports games... they normally come out at $49.99). realistic, and just the best AI out there. pretty cool, too, that it has all the AAA, AA, and A teams for each major league team.

Old 03-06-2005, 08:16 PM   #3
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

FFM - you shouldn't have started a "check out this sega/visual concepts release" thread. It wont fly with these gaming savages.

Why argue anyway? Electronic Arts has cornered the market so that must mean their games are better, right?

I hope all you madden/nba live lovers brought some lube. Let the EA circle jerk commence.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Didn't EA buy out ESPN NFL ? I heard it was taking too much of their profits away
Old 03-06-2005, 09:54 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Not exactly. The National Football League sold out to EA - giving them exclusive licensing rights to stadiums/team names/NFL logos.

It won't be long until EA controls exclusive rights for the NBA and MLB - thereby eliminating all competition in "authentic" sports video games.

Old 03-06-2005, 11:00 PM   #6
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

i couldn't care less about EA and their possible monopoly. actually, truth be told, i think it's definitely a bad thing for the gaming industry. i just like MVP baseball. I like madden. both great games. NBA Live, i don't really care. it's ok, and the dunk contest is cool... but i honestly don't play it that much. i bought it cause it was on sale with madden.

just cause i own these games, and really like mvp baseball doesn't mean i love EA or want to be part of their circle jerk, lubed up or not.

didn't another company already get exclusive rights to MLB?
Old 03-06-2005, 11:02 PM   #7
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough
Default RE:Video gamers: Have you guys played MLB 2k5?

Quote:
Originally posted by: capitalcity
Not exactly. The National Football League sold out to EA - giving them exclusive licensing rights to stadiums/team names/NFL logos.

It won't be long until EA controls exclusive rights for the NBA and MLB - thereby eliminating all competition in "authentic" sports video games.
That sucks. Why should EA make a better NBA Live game when they don't have any competition? The games are gonna be even worse then previous years.

1996-2005
Old 03-06-2005, 11:05 PM   #8
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux
man, screw that. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

MVP baseball has been the best baseball game on the market since it's debut in 2003. EA changed the name from Triple Play, because it was that different. Even EA hated Triple Play. and i just got this year's MVP Baseball (only $29.99, which is a huge price drop for EA on their sports games... they normally come out at $49.99). realistic, and just the best AI out there. pretty cool, too, that it has all the AAA, AA, and A teams for each major league team.
I'll give that to you because I haven't played MVP baseball. MLB2k5 doesn't have AAA teams justminor league players. But I do know MVP Baseball doesn't have a better GM or Franchise mode. There's no way.

1996-2005
Old 03-06-2005, 11:32 PM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Larouxjust cause i own these games, and really like mvp baseball doesn't mean i love EA or want to be part of their circle jerk, lubed up or not.
Rush to judgement - sorry BB.
As you can tell - I get a little upset that I have no other choice than to by Madden 2006 next fall.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:37 PM   #10
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: Big Boy Laroux didn't another company already get exclusive rights to MLB?
Yes. It was Visual Concepts aka Sega... aka the maker of the games I jerk off to.

If I remember correctly the deal was with the players association only. So they get the exclusive rights to the players' likenesses - but as far as I know, MLB itself is still free to negotiate deals on licensing the stadiums/team names/logos etc.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:17 AM   #11
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

what about players' names? is that included in the likeness? or is "likeness" just physical appearance?

if so, that would REALLY suck to play a game with all fake names, or edit them all yourself.
Old 03-07-2005, 11:31 AM   #12
capitalcity
Diamond Member

Take-Two out to the ball game
Published: January 24, 2005, 10:56 AM PST
By David Becker
C/NET NEWS

After being locked out of the football market, game publisher Take-Two Interactive Software threw a curveball at the video game industry Monday by snagging semi-exclusive rights to Major League baseball.

The Major League Baseball Players Association (MLBPA), the union representing players, announced it had reached a tentative agreement with Take-Two granting the publisher a seven-year license to portray Major League players in video games. Take-Two still needs to reach a separate agreement with Major League Baseball for the rights to portray teams and stadiums.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed, but analysts estimated Take-Two could end up paying close to $200 million to satisfy both entities. The MLBPA license gives Take-Two exclusive rights among third-party game publishers. That means game console makers Microsoft and Sony could continue to make baseball games for their respective Xbox and PlayStation 2 game consoles, but companies purely in the software business could not. Most notably, that shuts out leading game publisher Electronic Arts, whose "MVP Baseball" was one of the top-selling baseball games last year.

EA rattled the game industry late last year by signing a contract with the National Football League and the NFL Players Association giving the game maker exclusive rights to portray NFL teams and players in video games. The move was widely seen as an effort to protect EA's lucrative "Madden NFL" franchise, which received its first serious commercial competition in years from the low-priced "ESPN NFL," jointly published by Sega and Take-Two.

EA tried to further solidify its sports assets--which also includes exclusive rights to NASCAR auto racing, FIFA soccer and PGA golf--last week by forging a new alliance with sports broadcaster ESPN, currently affiliated with Sega and Take-Two.

David Cole, president of research company DFC Intelligence, said that exclusive rights are becoming the norm in sports games, with professional basketball likely to be the next game to go that route.

"Baseball has never been a huge one for EA, so I doubt they bargained that hard for this one," Cole said. "Basketball is a lot bigger for EA, and they're going to make sure that stays their baby."

An EA representative confirmed that the company had been involved in bidding with the MLBPA and wasn't bothered by Take-Two's decision to pay more. "It proves there's plenty of competition in sports games," the representative said, adding that EA still plans to release a new version of "MVP Baseball" in a few months. "We're exploring our options long-term," the representative said.

Baseball in general is a considerably smaller prize than pro football. Three of the 10 top-selling video games last year were pro football titles, according to research company NPD Intellect, while baseball didn't even make the list.

The MLBPA said in its statement that it hoped the Take-Two deal would change the market by encouraging stronger marketing of baseball titles. "The baseball video game business has been underdeveloped for years," said John Olshan, head of the MLBPA's interactive games division. "We have no doubt that Take2's proven creativity and innovation, combined with their incredible distribution strength and powerful commitment to baseball, will add real excitement and depth to the video game marketplace."

Cole said Take-Two will still have a tough time making much of a profit off baseball. "Baseball games have been very challenging to do right," he said. "There is potential to grow the baseball market, but it's still going to be a just small fraction of what football does."
Old 03-08-2005, 11:18 PM   #13
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Yes sir MVP fans. Get it this year because itll be the last mlb baseball game coming from EA for a LOOOONG time.

But back to the original topic, yes, MLB 2K5 is GREAT. Been playing it night and day since its release.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote