Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 03-29-2005, 07:52 PM   #1
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute
Default My new guitar

Just recently got this one, kinda proud of it, and since it used to be the builder's personal guitar and there are pics on the web thought I might as well share. Enjoy.

In case anybody's interested there are more pics here:
my heatley
and just for kicks here's the homepage for the builder:
Heatley Guitars
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-2005, 07:56 PM   #2
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: My new guitar

beautiful...have you ever played a heatley before? What is the tone like?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:05 PM   #3
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

This is the first one I've owned. I'd read a lot of good things about them and when a used one popped up at a fair price (I can't believe I'm characterizing the dough I shelled out on this baby as a fair price) I jumped on it (it's like a 7 month wait to get one custom built - which I'm probably going to get the ball rolling on pretty soon). Best guitar I've ever owned for sure, one of the best I've ever played (played a Lentz S once that gets co-honors in that respect). The wood combination on this one's pretty unique: hollow mahogany back, koa top, indian rosewood neck, brazillian rosewood fretboard, so It's a little different than what you'd get from an LP standard or a PRS or something like that, but for what it's worth the tone on this one has a pretty wide frequency spread with a deeper bass and richer upper midrange and top end than a mahogany/maple singlecut would give you. You play, sike?
Old 03-29-2005, 08:10 PM   #4
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

I don't but my brother is an amazing player....I love to talk music with him, but I know nothing of music theory so I'm often left out of larger conversations [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
Old 03-29-2005, 10:33 PM   #5
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats, that's a thing of beauty (and probably a down payment on a car)! What kind of music do you play?
Old 03-29-2005, 10:41 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Quote:
Congrats, that's a thing of beauty (and probably a down payment on a car)! What kind of music do you play?
Thank you. It's actually worth considerably more than my car, but then I am simply trying to coax a couple more years out of a beat-up little 80's Celica. I'm a blues/rock man myself.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:45 PM   #7
sike
The Preacha

opinions on...
Jimmy Page and SRV?

Old 03-29-2005, 11:13 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Jimmy Page - cool, influential guitarist in his time. Worthy of memory primarily for his songwriting and rhythm work, IMO. Zep's the quintissential blues-inspired hard rock band, and his riffs are a major reason why. Bonham was the freakin' man, though. Nowadays when I go back and listen to them he's the one that commands my attention.

Stevie - played the guitar like a man, and I hope it's apparent how much admiration I'm intending to imply with that evaluation. When I was growing up he was Jesus (Hendrix Is That He Is, if you take the meaning of that rather roughly paraphased translation of the Hebrew). I don't know if you've ever heard of Storyville. Cool band out of Austin (no longer together) featuring David Grissom on guitar (great player, John Mellencamp's guitar player for a time) this albinoish black guy Malford Milligan on vocals (great singer), and Chris Layton and Tommy Shannon holding down the rhythm section. The first time I saw them live was at Antone's in Austin, and I was there with my drummer at the time. I knew who all was in the band, but my drummer didn't, and when Chris walked out on stage my drummer's jaw dropped cause he really wasn't expecting to get to see Double Trouble up there. Up to that point it hadn't hit me what I was about to witness either, but his reaction triggered my own latent amazement. I've never been more aware of how much Stevie's playing meant to me than when I realized I was about to hear the guys who'd laid down the foundation for him for all those years. A treasured experience to be sure.
Old 03-30-2005, 02:03 PM   #9
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Hollow mahogany back, Indian rosewood neck...lucky! You ever take it off any sweet jumps?

Serious, dude, that's one bitchin' guitar. Congrats. Always sweet to have one of the builder's personal guitar. Probably it will appreciate for you over the years.

What's this about a band? Where do you play??
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 02:06 PM   #10
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

Out in San Diego now. Used to play around the Waco area quite a bit back when I was still in Texas.