Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-29-2005, 12:45 AM   #1
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default Awwww crap...what have I done?

Hey guys and gals,
I'm kind of in a pickle here. I'm graduating in December (if everything goes to plan) with a BS in Finance, concentration on Personal Financial Management. Seeing as how that December isn't TOO FAR away, I've started getting ready for my job hunt. I've consulted with my career center at the business school. They had a lot of little tips that have really helped everything, especially touching up my resume.

Anyway, one of my friends that is graduating in May and I were talking a couple of days ago. I was grilling him about his job search. The main thing that stuck out to me was that he interviewed for the job he eventually landed in OCTOBER. That just caught me off guard. So, I kind of paniced. As soon as I got home I logged into eRecruiting and NaceLink (University sponsored job placement), Monster, and Hotjobs. I probably sent out 20-30 resumes.

I make it VERY clear on my resume that I'm an EXPECTED graduate for December. However, I've already had a handful of recruiters get back with me wanting to set up interviews. That wouldn't be much of a problem, except that a couple of them are mentioning that they have immediate openings that I'd "be appropriate for." Also, most of these places are pretty far away. I'm willing to relocate almost anywhere, so I'm getting responses from Birmingham, Atlanta, New York, Dallas, etc.

So, I guess my problem is more like THEIR problem. i don't think they took enough time to read my resume. how do I respond back to them without sounding pompous? Also, my friend that I mentioned earlier was FLOWN out to Atlanta for his job interview. Is it appropriate to ask for that type of thing? I assume NOT, but what do I know? These interviews could end up costing me a small fortune (for a college kid).

Anyway, any advice would be GREATLY appreciated. General job searching hints and tips would help too. I'm scared shitless of not having a job when I graduate.
Old 04-29-2005, 09:49 AM   #2
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice
Default RE:Awwww crap...what have I done?

Recruiters are idiots and don't pay attention. When you speak with them again, just express that you are very interested, but mention that you saw the comment regarding immediate openings and politely remind them that you won't be graduating until December.

If the company is of any size, they absolutely should fly you out there. My company does telephone interviews first, but then if we have somebody come in on site, then we pay to fly them out and put them up in a hotel. If they say they want you to come out to their offices, then ask how you are supposed to make travel arrangements. Most companies work with specific travel agencies that will set things up. For example, you don't know how far the airport is from the office, you don't know whether to get a cab or rent a car; where to get a hotel, etc.

Good luck.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 10:22 AM   #3
AnMan21

AnMan21 will become famous soon enough

Ok, I went through this process a little over a year ago (i was a december grad as well). you've definitely done the wise thing in getting your resume out early - companies like to see that you're motivated in the process. at UT we had a job fair in early September and the interview process really started at that point for December AND May grads. When they's looking at college entry-level positions, they're interviewing mostly kids that have not yet graduated - they know that, and they're willing to wait for the candidate to graduate if they think he/she is the right person for the job. If you're getting "immediate" opening responses now, don't reject the interview and don't disclose that you haven't graduated yet - chances are they know. act confident, but not cocky. do not assume you'll be offered the job - which means avoiding topics such as salary. they'll likely ask, "when will you be available to begin?" this does not mean you're offered the job, they ask it to everyone - that's when you tell them, "i'm expected to graduate in december." if they can wait that long, then great - but if they can't, then you at least have interview experience. the more you interview, the better you get at it, the more confident you become, and the more job offers you will receive.

These companies will not expect you to fly yourself anywhere...in fact, they'll fly you there, put you in a plush hotel, and take you out to fancy dinners - it's what they do. eat it up - it's enjoyable! everything will be paid for and very little (if any) money will come directly out of your pocket. there are items like airport parking, taxis, etc, that will be reimbursed, but do not let them reimburse you for such items as hotel and air travel. these items should be arranged by them without your doing...

the first interview i had was the only one i didn't get a call back for a second interview, and of those i had more than enough job offers to select from. the tip - be prepared. when they ask a question, don't blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. process the question, think about it and respond. you'll find that most interviews tend to ask the same questions - so you'll become quite good at answering them. also, they'll open it up to questions from you. DO NOT LET THIS OPPORTUNITY PASS YOU BY!!!! this is not only shows you care enough to prepare, but it allows these people to see that you want to make sure the company is a good fit for you, like they're trying to find if you're a good fit for the company. go on the companies website, read about them, find out how they tick, and form some questions. there are always general questions you can ask too: what will my role be? how does your career development track work? etc. there are a couple great books out there to help with the process. i'll look them up when i get home and post them.
AnMan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 01:08 PM   #4
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

ocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud ofocelot_ark has much to be proud of
Default RE: Awwww crap...what have I done?

Awesome Dooby and AnMan21. I really appreciate the responses. I just got off the phone with a Brokerage house in NYC and a marketing firm in Birmingham. The Birmingham firm didn't realize I wouldn't be graduating until December. Told me that I should try to get back in touch with them in August or so. The NYC company is supposed to set me up with an interview...guess we'll see.

Out of curiosity, what industry do you guys work in?
Old 04-29-2005, 01:09 PM   #5
AnMan21

i'm in the actuarial consulting field
Old 04-29-2005, 01:49 PM   #6
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

Hey ocelot, I feel you. Job hunting is the biggest pain, I'm going through it right now, only I'm graduating next month. Way to be ahead of the curve. You should absolutely make sure they understand your timeline--I would make sure it's in your cover letter as well as your resume. I know most hiring managers just glance through resumes.

A bit of advice on the flying out for interviews thing. I'm told it's more common in the business school, but in the comm school, it doesn't happen that much & they give us this advice: choose the markets you're really interested in & take a week to fly out there. Let the companies know when you're going to be there & try to schedule as many interviews as possible to maximize the use of your travel money. My business friends have had companies fly them out before, though, so you might not even have to worry about this.

Good luck, dude. I'm sure you're going to find a great job & make tons of money. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 02:02 PM   #7
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: ames7
Hey ocelot, I feel you. Job hunting is the biggest pain, I'm going through it right now, only I'm graduating next month. Way to be ahead of the curve. You should absolutely make sure they understand your timeline--I would make sure it's in your cover letter as well as your resume. I know most hiring managers just glance through resumes.

A bit of advice on the flying out for interviews thing. I'm told it's more common in the business school, but in the comm school, it doesn't happen that much & they give us this advice: choose the markets you're really interested in & take a week to fly out there. Let the companies know when you're going to be there & try to schedule as many interviews as possible to maximize the use of your travel money. My business friends have had companies fly them out before, though, so you might not even have to worry about this.

Good luck, dude. I'm sure you're going to find a great job & make tons of money. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Thanks Ames! You're not by any chance psychic are you? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]
Old 04-29-2005, 02:03 PM   #8
Chiwas
Guru

Chiwas is infamous around these partsChiwas is infamous around these parts

Business operations and administration consulting.

Quote:
So, I guess my problem is more like THEIR problem. i don't think they took enough time to read my resume. how do I respond back to them without sounding pompous? Also, my friend that I mentioned earlier was FLOWN out to Atlanta for his job interview. Is it appropriate to ask for that type of thing? I assume NOT, but what do I know? These interviews could end up costing me a small fortune (for a college kid).
Usually they don't read resumes deeply till they have to take the final decision among the best candidates. Don't waste your time and money: call them and get the points cleared; if they are willing to listen to you and give you the information you need, probably you're dealing with a good company worth to work with. Only attend interviews where your chances are good enough to get a good job, where they are really interested in you; politely refuse interviews that are not promising of an opportunity of life for you. Remember, call them, one or two times is not unappropriated (but don't sound pretentious or anxious).
Old 04-29-2005, 02:18 PM   #9
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Good luck in the search, Ocelot. Make us Razorbacks proud! [img]i/expressions/thumbsup.gif[/img]
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 11:44 PM   #10
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

Quote:
Originally posted by: ocelot_ark
Awesome Dooby and AnMan21. I really appreciate the responses. I just got off the phone with a Brokerage house in NYC and a marketing firm in Birmingham. The Birmingham firm didn't realize I wouldn't be graduating until December. Told me that I should try to get back in touch with them in August or so. The NYC company is supposed to set me up with an interview...guess we'll see.

Out of curiosity, what industry do you guys work in?
I am an attorney.

Good luck on the job hunt. The key is to research the company ahead of time. Very important.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2005, 12:09 AM   #11
ocelot_ark
Diamond Member

Thanks for the continued help everyone. Keep it coming.

This might be a little TOO personal, but when you guys were asked salary requirements, did you aim high? If so, did they bite? I don't want to undervalue myself, but then again, I don't want to take myself out of the running with a huge asking price.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:49 AM   #12
AnMan21

most of the entry-level jobs have a set salary stance. i didn't get a whole lot of "what are you expecting to make," kind of questions. and when i did, i usually tried to flip it and ask "what does this position normally offer?" or sometimes i'd say something like, "we can discuss salary at a later point, but i'm looking for a competitive offer." something that doesn't narrow it down to a number....if they absolutely require an answer give them a range. from the advice i've been given, salary discussion is ok when looking to change firms/positions within the same field, but should be avoided when you're an entry level candidate.

here's a list of those books i mentioned earlier:

60 Seconds and You're Hired! by Robin Ryan
101 Smart Questions to Ask on Your Interview by Ron Fry
101 Great Answers to the Toughest Interview Questions by Ron Fry

i found the book by robin ryan to the most helpful, but they were all good. you might think about picking one or two of them up.
Old 04-30-2005, 12:05 PM   #13
ames7
Diamond Member

ames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to beholdames7 is a splendid one to behold

This is what I've been told too. Avoid talking about salary until at least the second interview (usually even later) & give ranges. Make sure you're aware of what the average is for your position & center your range around it. Also understand how cost-of-living will factor in (e.g. your salary in NY is obviously going to be higher than the same job in Dallas).

I really hate these companies that require you to include expected salary in your cover letter, it really forces your hand. :[
Old 05-01-2005, 09:41 AM   #14
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

they should definitely fly you out. I was in school in Memphis, and my current employer came to my college. For my actual interview, they flew me in, even though the office is in Nashville (3 hour drive). They never expected me to drive. They said I could, and they would reimburse me for all gas expenses... but i figured I'd rather fly. they picked me up at the airport, too. i didn't need to stay overnight, so no hotel stay.