Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-01-2005, 02:03 PM   #1
Misfit Mav

Misfit Mav will become famous soon enough
Default Raja Bell to the Suns... Horry to Miami?

Bell will sign deal when moratorium expires July 22
ESPN.com news services

Phoenix Suns- Utah Jazz: Guard Raja Bell told ESPN.com on Friday that he's planning to join the Suns later this month, as soon as NBA free agents are allowed to formally sign new contracts.

"We're still negotiating the terms and everything, but that's where I intend to sign," Bell said Friday afternoon.

Even though no contracts can be officially signed until July 22, teams were allowed to commence negotiations with free agents as of 12:01 a.m. Friday morning. Knowing that Bell is bound to attract considerable interest from teams looking for a quality defender who's also underrated as a shot-maker, Phoenix was apparently quick to offer Bell a multi-year deal.

Bell, 28, averaged 11.6 points in two seasons with the Jazz to augment his reputation for sticky perimeter defense.

The Suns began the free-agent period with two top priorities -- re-signing restricted free agent Joe Johnson and signing All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire to a contract extension.

Bell would be the second major addition to a team that won 62 games last season, following this week's trade of Quentin Richardson to New York for veteran forward Kurt Thomas.

The Suns also struck quickly in free agency last July, reaching a verbal agreement to lure eventual league MVP Steve Nash from Dallas to the desert on the first day of negotiations. Nash and Bell are pals from their season together as Mavericks teammates.

"Raja Bell intends to sign a contract with the Suns when the moratorium ends," his agent, Herb Rudoy, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford. "Raja really wanted to play with Steve Nash and saw a great opportunity to do just that."

Suns GM Bryan Colangelo declined comment on the story, citing league policy that prohibits NBA teams from commenting on free-agent negotiations during the moratorium.

San Antonio Spurs- Miami Heat: It's deja vu all over again for Robert Horry. The forward, who was interested in joining the Heat last offseason, has again indicated Miami is a possibility, according to a report in the Palm Beach Post.

"His first choice would probably be San Antonio," Horry's agent, Robert Barr, told the Post, "but Miami is close. He wanted to go to Miami last year."

Horry, 34, declined the player option on his two-year, $2.3 million contract. According to the Post, the Heat would likely have only part of the mid-level exception -- last year that was $5.2 million, but this year it could be slightly more -- to offer Horry.

"He'd love to play with the Big Fella [Shaquille O'Neal]," Barr said. "If Miami has interest, I'm sure he'd listen."

Horry and O'Neal won three titles together when they played for the Lakers. Horry won his sixth title with the Spurs.

"He loves Miami and he loves the Big Fella," Barr told the Post. "We'll see what happens."

When asked after the Dallas Mavericks impressive game 3 win over the Sacramento Kings whether he thought the Mavs won because they played well or because the Kings played poorly, Nelson responded that it was hard to tell, much like a thermos. "How do it know?" queried the ever eccentric Nelson. When you put something hot in it, it stays hot. When you put something cold in it, it stays cold. "How do it know?"
Misfit Mav is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-2005, 02:19 PM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Raja Bell to the Suns... Horry to Miami?

I think this blows the Finley to Phonix out of the water. Dallas is going to wait a long time to cut Finley. And as they wait... and wait... other teams will get impatient and sign other players.

I seriously doubt Finley will play for "free" for another team. He's still going to go where the money is better. And places like Chicago, Miami, etc are more likely to pick up his services because Phoenix doesn't have that much money + their own free agents they have to sign.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:03 PM   #3
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice
Default RE:Raja Bell to the Suns... Horry to Miami?

If I was Finley it is a much easier road to the finals in Miami.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice pick up...they could have used him against Manu...
Old 07-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #5
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I think this blows the Finley to Phonix out of the water. Dallas is going to wait a long time to cut Finley. And as they wait... and wait... other teams will get impatient and sign other players.

I seriously doubt Finley will play for "free" for another team. He's still going to go where the money is better. And places like Chicago, Miami, etc are more likely to pick up his services because Phoenix doesn't have that much money + their own free agents they have to sign.
If Dallas wants Fin to get more money so it subtracts from what Cuban has to pay, they won't wait to waive him. As you point out, if they wait and wait to cut him, the money will be dried up while teams look to other players to sign.

It will be interesting to see how much Bell ate up of the MLE. Is enough left to keep Hunter? The articles I read had Bell asking for the entire MLE so I assume he settled for less so Phoenix could sign 1 other player. I'm just guessing it will be used to keep Hunter, but it could be for someone else.

I agree it slims the chances of Fin signing as well, but why would it blow any chance at signing him too? Bell can play the 1-2-3 and I suspect Bell is going to be asked to play those pg minutes behind Nash.

The depth chart looks something like this:

Stoudamire/Hunter or ??
Marion/KT
Johnson/Jackson
Bell/Finley
Nash/Bell/Barbosa

or

Stoudamire/Hunter or ??
Marion/KT
Finley/Jackson
Johnson/Bell
Nash/Bell/Barbosa
Old 07-01-2005, 05:36 PM   #6
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

When figures start to come out concerning how much money Bell's getting I'll be able to infer more from his addition. It's really not a bad move if he came cheap enough.

You have to believe they're planning on giving KT 30 minutes or so, otherwise I can't see them making that trade. I'd wager their also going to have at least one other big who'll get 12-15 mpg. That's going to push Marion into playing a lot more minutes at SF, and once that happens there's really not a lot of room for Fin left over after Nash, Barbosa, Bell, and the two JJ's.
Old 07-01-2005, 06:33 PM   #7
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

I can't see landing Raja for less than 80% of the MLE. If the Suns did that then they prove again how good they are at getting good talent for cheap.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 06:35 PM   #8
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

grndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond reputegrndmstr_c has a reputation beyond repute

If they paid Raja 80% of the MLE then they win they award for first bone-headed move of free agency.
Old 07-01-2005, 07:06 PM   #9
The Miles

The Miles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Bell was the Suns' primary target in the free agency recruiting period that began at 9 p.m., Arizona time, yesterday. Phoenix will use all or most of its $5 million mid-level exception to sign Bell, a Florida International product who averaged a career high 12.3 points last season.
LINK

Well worth it too, at least IMO.

"When you (Coach Johnson) get behind your players like that it’s something special. He’s the general and we are soldiers, you go out there and want to lay it all on the line…that’s the type of situation I wanted to be in."-Doug Christie
The Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 08:52 PM   #10
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

"I just want to be paid, for the first time in my career, what is appropriate for what I bring to a team," Bell said. "This time, the market will decide my value."

Based on this quote, I'm sure it took most of the MLE to get him to commit this early...if that’s the case, Steven Hunter is gone.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:04 PM   #11
MavsFanFinley
Guru

MavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond reputeMavsFanFinley has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

I like Bell and know he'll help the Suns, but he's not worth all or most of the MLE.
Old 07-01-2005, 11:09 PM   #12
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

if you want to get paid, go to Phoenix....
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2005, 11:46 PM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

If there's one thing the Suns are known for, it's overpaying for marginal talent.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:03 AM   #14
Milles

Milles will become famous soon enoughMilles will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by: chumdawg
If there's one thing the Suns are known for, it's overpaying for marginal talent.
I don't know, Marquis got a goodly raise last year, from Dallas.
Their games look rather similar, but Bell has a defensive reputation, even though Marquis gets more steals, rebounds and fewer fouls. Also from the stats, Bell played 5 minutes more per game. Am I comparing apples to oranges? Not trying to be silly about this, just trying to see the difference.

Daniels
2004-2005 60 17 23.5 3.7-8.4 .437 0.1-0.6 .200 1.6-2.2 .737 1.38 0.2 1.4 2.1 1.5 2.2 3.6 2.1 9.1
YEAR G GS MIN FG FG% 3P 3P% FT FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
Bell
2004-2005 63 32 28.4 4.8-10.6 .454 0.9-2.1 .403 1.8-2.4 .747 0.70 0.1 1.3 3.3 0.8 2.4 3.2 1.4 12.3

Milles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:36 AM   #15
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I love Raja Bell.. if he signs more than a 3-year deal, I'll probably get his jersey, although I fear the Jamison curse will live on in my jersey collection.

(traded players within a year of me getting their jersey: Baron Davis, Jason Terry, Latrell Sprewell, Antawn Jamison)

And does anyone else think that Raja would be a better fit in San Antonio or Miami?
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 01:42 AM   #16
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I'm inclined to be critical of the signing if the salary figure approaches most of the MLE, as has been reported by some media outlets. I do think he's a nice fit in Phoenix, though.

Out of curiosity, why would he be a better fit in SA or Miami? Or do you mean they would be better fits for him?
Old 07-02-2005, 01:48 AM   #17
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

I think they would be better fits for his defense-first, pass-second, shoot-third mentality. I mean that in a good way though. He's the kind of guy that I think could be starting for a lot of teams if he was more selfish with the ball, as he's shown the ability to knock down big shots and make big defensive stops down the stretch, but he could definitely win 6th man next year if the Suns are nearly as good next year as they were this year.

I definitely think losing Richardson was a huge step in the right direction, though. I don't see how Raja wouldn't be able to replace his scoring -- not to mention provide great defense, something Richardson obviously won't ever be able to do.

But just think how much tougher San Antonio would be if they had Horry and Bell as their 6th and 7th men next year? That's tough to even stomach as a Mavs fan.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 04:09 AM   #18
grndmstr_c
Diamond Member

I'd rather have Brent Barry than Raja Bell.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:40 AM   #19
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss

Fin wouldn't be playing for "free", he'd be geting his normal salary from Cuban, around 17.5 million, plus at least the vet minimum of 1.5 million for a total of around 19 million hardly chump change. Now if Fin gets the full MLE, estimated at around 5 Million, then he gets 5 million + (-1 * (5 million - 1.5 million)) + 17.5 million or around 20.75 million because 1/2 of what he makes over the vet minimum is deducted from what Cuban owes him. So making the MLE versus making the vet minimum is only abut 1.75 million difference. I think Fin might actually be willing to ONLY get a 1.5 million dollar raise in order to play for a legit contender for the title.
Old 07-02-2005, 04:41 AM   #20
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: grndmstr_c
I'd rather have Brent Barry than Raja Bell.
Amen to that.
Old 07-02-2005, 02:07 PM   #21
dirno2000
Diamond Member

Quote:
I think Fin might actually be willing to ONLY get a 1.5 million dollar raise in order to play for a legit contender for the title.
I don't think it's a question of money but rather playing time. In PHX he'd be behind two All-Star caliber players capable of logging heavy minutes. They didn't sign Raja Bell to be the 12the man so he'd be competing with Jim Jackson for the leftover minutes.

If Fin wants to stay in the West and screw the Mavs, Houston would be his best bet.
Old 07-02-2005, 08:09 PM   #22
dirno2000
Diamond Member

From the Saltlake Tribune:

Bell would not discuss terms of the contract, but a league source put Bell's starting salary at $4.25 million, which works out to $24.65 million (including 8-percent raises) over five years. "I'll just say it's more than I could ever wish for,"
Old 07-02-2005, 08:25 PM   #23
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

If Horry goes to Miami, I wouldn't be surprised to see him winning another title. He always seems to be at the right place at the right time.

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2005, 09:41 PM   #24
FilthyFinMavs
Diamond Member

FilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the roughFilthyFinMavs is a jewel in the rough

WTF? The Suns are turning into the Phoenix Mavs.

1996-2005
FilthyFinMavs is offline   Reply With Quote