Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 07-29-2005, 01:21 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default The NBA Rumor Mill and some rumblings.....

Former starter Jeff McInnis agreed to a two-year, $7 million deal with the New Jersey Nets on Thursday, an NBA insider confirmed. The Cavaliers never considered re-signing the mercurial McInnis, but were in preliminary talks about sign-and-trade deals involving him. One target was Damon Jones, who opted out of his contract with the Miami Heat. The Heat were interested in McInnis, which made the teams potential trading partners, but they weren't able to get anything done before the Nets swooped in and landed McInnis.
--Akron Beacon Journal

The Miami Herald reported the Heat plan to work out Dajuan Wagner, another Cavaliers free agent not expected to re-sign. It is possible the two teams could attempt to get a sign-and-trade deal done involving Wagner and [Damon] Jones.
--Akron Beacon Journal

[George] Karl offered his assistance in the June draft, oversaw Denver's summer league team earlier this month, spoke Monday with Nuggets free-agent guard Greg Buckner and met Tuesday with Los Angeles Clippers free-agent guard Marko Jaric. Because Jaric is a restricted free agent, the Clippers can match any offer he receives.
--Rocky Mountain News

Denver's chances of landing Dallas Mavericks guard Michael Finley under the new amnesty rule have diminished. The Mavericks reportedly are trying to work out a sign-and- trade with the Orlando Magic.
--Rocky Mountain News

I spoke to a source to tells me Damon Stoudamire isn't going to Houston or Cleveland and will likely agree to terms with a mystery team sometime in the next 72 hours unless the Blazers get involved in a sign and trade.
--Oregonian

Houston offered Damon Stoudamire $1.8 million a year and also made a few sign-and-trade proposals to the Blazers -- including Clarence Weatherspoon, [John] Nash said. Now, Stoudamire is thought to be ready to sign with another NBA team, Nash said.
--Oregonian

In a move surprising only because of its timing, the Rockets and free-agent forward Ryan Bowen agreed to terms on a two-year contract Wednesday. The deal becomes official when the NBA lifts its moratorium on signings, which is set to take place early next week.
--Houston Chronicle

The Orlando Magic were stunned Thursday to hear the decision by first-round draft pick Fran Vazquez that he will play this season in Europe instead of coming to the NBA. So was his agent. Vazquez, a 6-10 power forward from Spain, was expected to play a significant role as a rookie this season. Yet he suddenly decided he wasn't ready for the rigors of the NBA.
--Orlando Sentinel

Desmond Mason isn't fretting that the Milwaukee Bucks are spending a significant amount of money on free-agent small forward Bobby Simmons. Mason, the Bucks' incumbent small forward, sees it less as a threat to his position and more as a move to help the team climb back into the National Basketball Association playoffs.
--Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

The Knicks formally announced Larry Brown as their 22nd head coach - their fourth in 19 months - at a crowded noon press conference. The Knicks pulled out all the stops: Carnegie Deli catering and a sleek video of Brown and his new home. The marquee outside Madison Square Garden read, "Welcome Home Larry."
--New York Daily News

[Isiah] Thomas referred to it as a marriage with [Larry] Brown, who readily admits that he wants a voice in personnel decisions. Thomas, who deserves credit for his best move as Knicks president, has enjoyed autonomy since joining the organization two years ago. He had the same arrangement in Toronto. "I want him to listen to me but I don't expect him to do all the things I say," Brown said. "But I respect his knowledge for the game. I know he cares deeply about us being successful. But I need to be heard."
--New York Daily News

Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-29-2005, 01:38 PM   #2
ddh33
Platinum Member

ddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant futureddh33 has a brilliant future
Default RE:The NBA Rumor Mill and some rumblings.....

Several times I have seen this "sign and trade" of Finley to Orlando. I'm wondering who is there to sign?
ddh33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:01 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: The NBA Rumor Mill and some rumblings.....

Hmm another source about the Orlando trade, that is good news to hear.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 04:05 PM   #4
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

A) Why would Cuban want a 32 year old point guard (stoudamire)
B) How would a sign and trade work for Finley? If we use the amnesty clause, we can't re-sign him. If we bought his contract out, wouldnt that still work against the cap and therefore, the luxury tax? I guess it oculd happen something like this: Michael Finley will earn about 16million dollars.

Finley would have to agree to a buyout significantly less than he is promised, but we could promise him that his new contract which would be for 2-3 years would make up for the difference, and he would earn the same amount of money.

So in order to get Tony Battie who earns about 5 million, we would buyout Finley for 11 million, then re-sign him for 5 million and trade him for Battie. Unless Finley agrees to take less in general, we wouldnt be saving any money, but it would allow us to trade his contract to Orlando, or another team that doesnt want to have his max, 3 year deal.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 05:38 PM   #5
Big Boy Laroux
Diamond Member

Big Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond reputeBig Boy Laroux has a reputation beyond repute

man, that sucks for orlando with vasquez. and they passed up guys like granger and gerald green.
Old 07-29-2005, 05:39 PM   #6
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Very intelligent Erica, I didn't even think of that. But I think its more like the writer isn't too keen on his knowledge. He probably just read Art Garcias article or something. This is all so confusing sometimes.

Old 07-29-2005, 06:56 PM   #7
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Hopefully the prospect of Stoudamire going to the Rockets will fall through. They're looking to put a good team on the court next season.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 07:03 PM   #8
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

Stoudamire is worth more then 1.8.

Old 07-30-2005, 12:05 AM   #9
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally posted by: DevinHarriswillstart
Stoudamire is worth more then 1.8.

He's worth a kilo for sure.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 12:09 AM   #10
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

2.2 pounds?
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 01:55 AM   #11
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

EL, that's certainly an interesting idea in concept. But a buyout still counts against the cap, and I can only imagine that a buyout of Fin would be for a significant amount. It seems that the Mavs would still be better off finding a trading partner.

The more I think about it, the more I think the Ron Artest ideas might not be far off the mark. Donnie has been saying over and over that they are working with Fin's agent to create a "win-win situation." Of all the Eastern teams that have been mentioned, the only good situations I can think of for Fin are Chicago since he is from there and Indiana since they have a real chance to win on the court with him.

Meh, who knows. But those "win-win" comments have been made enough times for me to give them consideration. Fin isn't winning if he goes to Orlando.

But then ago, the Mavs aren't obliged to work with Finley if they are simply trading him, now are they?
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2005, 08:47 PM   #12
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

There is no such thing as a sign and trade re Finley. He has a contract, and if he is waived the Mavs cant sign him (therefore they also couldnt SIGN-and-trade, cause they cant do the "sign" part.)
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote