Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 09-28-2005, 03:54 PM   #1
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default career suggestions?

So, does anyone have a suggestion for a career where I won't be treated like crap on a daily basis by adolescents who have no clue about life in the real world? Just curious. I would love to go somewhere each day where I am appreciated. Terrible, terrible day. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img]

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-2005, 04:18 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: career suggestions?

Hang in there raef. You are on battling on thefront lines and even though it doesn't feel like it....you are making a HUGE difference in the lives of those you serve. If it becomes too overwhelming think about a Regional posiiton with TEA or the regional council of governments. Also, not knowing your degree status, a junior college may be a very satisfying opportunity.

Anyways...hang in there. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 04:44 PM   #3
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future
Default RE:career suggestions?

Thanks Doc. Words I truly needed to hear. It was a terrible day, but most of mine are not. I have to hang on to the fact that many days I do make a difference. I wish that some teens were more reachable. Guess I will just have to try a little harder with some. I did have several moments today where I truly wanted to walk out the door and say "F' em!" Hopefully tomorrow will be easier. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
Old 09-28-2005, 05:55 PM   #4
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Colts never say die - especially in the face of Viking aggression.

Your only 6 weeks into the school year - just stand your ground and you'll break their spirits by Thanksgiving.

Seriously Raef, are you really questioning your career choice? You know there are places where you're a teacher, not a babysitter/ TAAS instructor.

Have you considered going private? I went to Pantego Christian for 8th and 9th grade and I couldn't cut up on accident, let alone be an ass on purpose. My perspective may be off, but it seemed like an environment where the teachers were empowered by the openess of a godly workplace - not bound by the bureacratic nonsense and political correctness of the public system. Sure kids are still kids, but wouldn't it be nice to know your pupil's parents? Have a class of 17 instead of 29?

There are a lot of Christian Schools in the Metroplex. I don't know about pay or benefits - but what's your sanity worth?
Old 09-28-2005, 06:35 PM   #5
mavsman55
Platinum Member

mavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura aboutmavsman55 has a spectacular aura about

Hey, I'm in high school. If you want some tips on how to get kids under control, feel free to ask me any questions. What exactly happened to you?
mavsman55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2005, 07:29 PM   #6
Drbio
Banned

One other thing raef.....I cannot tell yo uhow much I respect you for what you are doing. Thank you.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:15 PM   #7
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
just stand your ground and you'll break their spirits by Thanksgiving.
[img]i/expressions/anim_laugh.gif[/img] That seriously made me giggle!

I question my career choice from time to time, but I think a lot of people do. I honestly feel called to do what I am doing. There are some days where I do feel like a babysitter, but then there are moments when a kid gets it. I see something click and I can tell that true learning has taken place. I live for those moments! The other dream I have is to one day be an editor for a publishing company. I don't know if that would be as satisfying right now though. However, I don't really see myself teaching when I'm older, so maybe one day I will get to fulfill that other dream. I think it is something I am meant to do. I constantly find errors in print and it drives me insane! Especially when the author has written this lovely acknowledgement thanking his or her editor. Irony, perhaps?

I have thought about teaching in a private school, but those are not without their problems. I have heard horror stories coming from private school teachers that top some of my own! Plus, unfortunately, the pay is drastically less. Contrary to what many public school teachers might say, we are paid adequately. Sure, we deserve more, but in the past 7 years since I have been teaching, the starting pay has increased over $10,000. Some teachers make it seem like we make much less than we do. Factor in the abundance of vacation time, we are doing fine.

I felt bad after posting my initial message last night. I just had a really bad day with three or four kids who wanted to be a pain in the butt. Really, I should have just stepped back and thanked God for the seventy others who made my job a little bit easier. It's all about perspective. Thanks to those of you who had kind words. They really did help! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2005, 10:09 AM   #8
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

First Woman Prez!
you got my vote! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #9
raefformvp
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally posted by: sike
First Woman Prez!
you got my vote! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Thanks Sike, but no thanks! If I ran for president it would come out that I am a total slob, that I look horrendous in the mornings, that my family is full of wackos (wackos I love, but wackos nonetheless), and that I went to jail when I was 18. Yep, I went to jail! It's no longer on my record, but I've been. Anyone from Arlington remember Baja Beach Club on 30 near the Ballpark? That was our old hangout when I was a senior in highschool. It was entirely too easy to drink as a minor there and one day the TABC decided to do a sting (or whatever they are called). 41 minors were arrested and taken to jail. Almost peed my pants! I was handcuffed, fingreprinted, the works, and put in a holding cell for 6 hours. There was a big article in the paper the next day. My dad cut it out of the paper and hung it up in our house. He threatened to keep me home instead of sending me away to SFA for college (which he should have done - party girl me going to one of the top party schools in the nation? not good. only lasted 2 years.). No longer a party girl now, but you see how the public treats Bush. Once a partier, always a partier in the public's eyes.

So, no presidency for me! I'll stick to my lowly job of classroom teacher. I have to make sure they NEVER find out that I went to jail. They would think it was WAY COOL and I'd never live it down. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 09-30-2005, 03:52 PM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

The TABC pulled over my two college roommates several years back....they were 19 and 20 at the time on their way to a Halloween party at one of the Frat houses near UNT. Well, both of them were wearing my work uniforms...Well, the TABC officers just laughed at them and sent them on their way even though they had alot of beer and hard liquor in the car.

Even the TABC has a sense of humor from time to time I suppose.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:20 PM   #11
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I have to make sure they NEVER find out that I went to jail. They would think it was WAY COOL and I'd never live it down.
just tell em your a mavs fan...it'll have the same effect! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 04:22 PM   #12
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Murph.... am I missing something? Where did you work?
Old 09-30-2005, 06:26 PM   #13
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: u2sarajevo
Murph.... am I missing something? Where did you work?
Well, I have a unique first name...let's just say that the uniform has my name on it and the insignia of the company....which also happened to be my last name.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 09:51 PM   #14
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my late advice....

If anyone ever offers you a teaching position at a junior college and the word "Adjunct" is in your title....run away. Run far, far away.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005, 10:04 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

The old Adjunct label is brutal in most cases. I do know several who enjoy the tenure-track spots in the JUCO ranks though.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:59 PM   #16
XERXES
Diamond Member

XERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud ofXERXES has much to be proud of

Sike can get you a job as a bartender at Chippendale's. He's a "regular" there and is very close to many of the staffers.

Seriously though...teaching is surely the most noble profession. Hang in there...