Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 12-24-2005, 02:27 AM   #161
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
Chum, I don't recall Nellie ever challenging Dirk to grow in that departmment. And I doubt he would've ever asked Dirk to grow in that area with Nash still here.

Avery has.... and Dirk has responded well.

I don't believe it's a coincidence. I don't believe it's a coincidence that Nellie likes "big 3s"... and not a super 1.

Avery has not failed yet to go to Dirk from the 8 minute mark on this whole year. Whether Dirk makes them or misses them, it's like clockwork. Dirk will touch the ball on nearly every possession in the 4th. Nelson no fan ever knew who in the hell would get the ball in the 4th. Because no one ever knew who would be hot that game.

Difference in philosophy and it may equate to same end result in the win loss column.

But for Dirk's game... Avery has done more to grow than Nellie ever did. Nellie gave Dirk the opportunity to be a star. But once Dirk became a star... Nellie was satisfied. Avery isn't satisfied with Dirk just being good. He wants him to be great. Dirk is trying to respond.
Bayliss, you are so close, so close. But you are still on slightly the wrong path.

Your point about a hypothetical Nash/Dirk pairing is well taken. Yes, I concede that Dirk may not be shouldering that much of the offensive burden late in games if Nash were still here. But you can in no way maintain that that necessarily makes us a better team.

We have all seen--more times than we are comfortable with--Dirk flustered by certain defenders, and our offense bog down severely at crucial times. Would that be the case if there were a viable second option on that end of the court? Or third, even?

It's left to your imagination, and naturally it's the same kind of question that coaches ask when they design their teams. I only ask that you not jump to conclusions based on a couple games against the crippled Kings and the Sonics. Tougher teams are coming, in the poststseason, and we may find that Dirk won't have such an easy time of carrying the team when the opponents decide they want to shut them down.

Doubtless you remember the recent San Antonio game, when the Spurs were able to render Dirk useless almost all game--at the risk of the rest of the team beating them, which unfortunately did not come to pass.

Doubtless you remember the matchup in last year's playoffs against the Suns, when the Mavs were able to take Nash out of the game when they wanted to, but at their own detriment.

As I said, you are close. You are still on the edge, though, of some very important subtleties.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2005, 04:07 AM   #162
DeusDeOmini
Banned

DeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mary
Lets not forget the play of Josh Howard tonight. He had a very nice 3rd quarter and showed alot of aggression on the offensive end.

Some would say that makes him a team cancer....

I have to admit, I didn't expect a win at all tonight. In fact, I had 25 bucks on the Sonics and their 3 points. I'm so ashamed...
i said for that game...reading is fundamental.

Tonight he didn't force shots, he took open ones and let others create for him and had some 1 on 1 mismatches, huge difference.

Dirk is the MVP, period, this guy is insane in the 4th.
DeusDeOmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:16 AM   #163
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusDeOmini
.....reading is fundamental.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeusDeOmini
josh is a cancer
See Deus post.

See Deus kneejerk.

See Deus backtrack.

See Dick Run.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #164
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
See Deus post.

See Deus kneejerk.

See Deus backtrack.

See Dick Run.
Sheer Genious.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:02 AM   #165
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by foglemann
man, if it weren't for Dirk, this team would be dump in a sewer. I'm clamering for a real #2 so bad right now.
this is genius on so many levels.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 11:59 AM   #166
DeusDeOmini
Banned

DeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these partsDeusDeOmini is infamous around these parts

Quote:
See Deus post.

See Deus kneejerk.

See Deus backtrack.

See Dick Run.
See Mary Lie.

See Mary Lie.

See Mary Lie.

Well, thats pretty much all your capable of isn't it you ignorant puss.
I said Josh was a cancer that night, I said that yesterday and today about the Kings game. I never once changed my stance, so you lying (fill in the blank because people here are one sided and allow some to say insults but not others, we'll say it rights with witch), tell me where I backtracked liar, you got owned, period.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:08 PM   #167
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

You had to be scolded in that thread before you admitted that you had overreacted.

If you wouldn't make kneejerk universal statements in the first place, you wouldn't get ripped.

You need to calm the "Dirk is perfect, everyone else is an idiot" schtick down. It's getting old.
Old 12-24-2005, 12:14 PM   #168
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

"Not much easier. FOUR more b2b games coming up through January.

Fri 30 Golden State
Sat 31 at NO/Oklahoma City"

At least this first one isn't too bad for a back-to-back.

Very short flight and a second tier opponent.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:17 PM   #169
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I also want to comment about the issue of Dirk stepping up this year, as compared to under Nellie.

I think the difference is the defense. Someone who can score 25 every night (and 30+ on a decent night) is much more important when the game score is 85 rather than 120.

Granted, the difference in the point total isn't as great as that--yet. But Dirk can always get his points one way or another. The difference in that those points have become a lot more meaningful as Dallas's defense improves.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 12:18 PM   #170
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Well, thats pretty much all your capable of isn't it you ignorant puss.
chill with the name calling. We can disagree without angered name calling.

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 02:03 PM   #171
mary
Troll Hunter

mary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond reputemary has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I said Josh was a cancer that night
I've already posted your exact quote. I won't bother again.

I think you're struggling with this "cancer" metaphor, or perhaps the concept of metaphors in general. There is no 24-hour variety of cancer that I know of. Perhaps if you would have referred to him as a stomach flu, I wouldn't be giving you such a hard time about it.

Merry Christmas.

"I don't know what went wrong," said guard Thabo Sefolosha. "It's hard to talk about it."

Last edited by mary; 12-24-2005 at 02:05 PM.
mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:56 PM   #172
DeusDeOmini
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
chill with the name calling. We can disagree without angered name calling.
she started it
Old 12-25-2005, 02:15 AM   #173
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
I also want to comment about the issue of Dirk stepping up this year, as compared to under Nellie.

I think the difference is the defense. Someone who can score 25 every night (and 30+ on a decent night) is much more important when the game score is 85 rather than 120.

Granted, the difference in the point total isn't as great as that--yet. But Dirk can always get his points one way or another. The difference in that those points have become a lot more meaningful as Dallas's defense improves.
very good points.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote