Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 02-02-2006, 05:48 PM   #1
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute
Default UIL Realignments

Probably not of interest to most of you, but I'm weird.

Celina is 3A, FINALLY. They have been 2A 3 out of the last 5 years and bumped Hamilton out of the football playoffs each of those 3 years.

But mainly, I'm wondering from KG and Doc... Waco High went from 5A to 4A, any word on why their enrollment is down?
Rhylan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2006, 06:24 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely excellent thread and Rhylan understands why.

We had heard rumors for weeks about Waco going to 4A. I'm not sure why the enrollment is down. I'm about to take a little liberty and speculate a bit here as a scientist though. For years, the City of Waco has encountered a phenonemon called "White Flight", where upper to mid-income caucasian families leave the city proper. This is very common in many developing moderate to mega size metroplexes. DFW encountered it years ago and still does to an extent. DFW is now in more of a midclass flight. The more money the family has, the further away from downtown they are. The less, the closer. That is simplifying this phenonmenon a bit but is accurate enough for a realignmnet discussion. The peripheral high school systems to Waco have all grown while the Waco and University HS enrollments have fluctuated towards a down trend. Areas such as Lorena, China Spring, Midway (Hewitt/Woodway), Crawford, Axtel, Bosqueville, and several others have been the beneficiary of Waco working families who have fled the City of Waco proper. I think that this new classification is a response to a very large degree of this sociological phenemenon.

Other than that I really don't know but I am rock solid on this outward flow of citizens. It is easily shown in population data over the past wenty years.

BTW, nice to see Hamilton escape Celina. That team has been nothing short of amazing for years. It would be nice to see them schedule them in a preconference game though. I know they would love to beat those guys. Didn't they play at Floyd Casey last year against each other?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:28 PM   #3
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Rhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond reputeRhylan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
BTW, nice to see Hamilton escape Celina. That team has been nothing short of amazing for years. It would be nice to see them schedule them in a preconference game though. I know they would love to beat those guys. Didn't they play at Floyd Casey last year against each other?
Nah, they played in Grand Prairie. Thus far, they played in GP, Ennis, and Cedar Hill. Celina wouldn't come that far south to Waco, I'm sure.

No chance of Hamilton ever scheduling Celina, though.. especially not now. We are back eastward in District 21 with Crawford, McGregor, Valley Mills, etc. We end up with those teams every 3 or 4 realignments.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

I just remember all the media hype about Hamilton/Celina. It seemed like it might have been local. I will probably get to see them play Crawford if it is local this year. Nice to see a local rivalry forming.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if realignment put Brownwood and Stephenville back in the same district. That was a travesty when those two long time rivals were placed in separate districts of 4A.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 10:45 PM   #6
#1MavsFan
Golden Member

#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all#1MavsFan is a name known to all

Plano is still 5a and will be looking to go all the way!
#1MavsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:02 AM   #7
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Absolutely excellent thread and Rhylan understands why.

We had heard rumors for weeks about Waco going to 4A. I'm not sure why the enrollment is down. I'm about to take a little liberty and speculate a bit here as a scientist though. For years, the City of Waco has encountered a phenonemon called "White Flight", where upper to mid-income caucasian families leave the city proper. This is very common in many developing moderate to mega size metroplexes. DFW encountered it years ago and still does to an extent. DFW is now in more of a midclass flight. The more money the family has, the further away from downtown they are. The less, the closer. That is simplifying this phenonmenon a bit but is accurate enough for a realignmnet discussion. The peripheral high school systems to Waco have all grown while the Waco and University HS enrollments have fluctuated towards a down trend. Areas such as Lorena, China Spring, Midway (Hewitt/Woodway), Crawford, Axtel, Bosqueville, and several others have been the beneficiary of Waco working families who have fled the City of Waco proper. I think that this new classification is a response to a very large degree of this sociological phenemenon.

Other than that I really don't know but I am rock solid on this outward flow of citizens. It is easily shown in population data over the past wenty years.

Oh, the phenomenon is alive and well in Dallas, to be sure. The schools on the northwest side of town, for example, are growing at a tremendous rate. Keller Central, for example, opened three years ago and is already 5A. And that's the fourth high school in Keller, I do believe. See, there are new high schools opening left and right to accomodate the influx of families. It won't be long before the new schools in Frisco are all 5A as well.

That's the only thing that keeps the suburbian Dallas schools from balooning out of control: the opening of new schools. It's growing fast.

Dallas Carter, on the other hand, would now be a 4A school expect that they requested to remain in 5A.

Did you guys know that Duncanville High is the second-largest high school campus in the country? I think it covers a hundred acres or somesuch. I heard that they put a fence around it recently (out of some sort of security concern, I guess), to the tune of 1/3 of a million dollars.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 07:20 AM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
Did you guys know that Duncanville High is the second-largest high school campus in the country? I think it covers a hundred acres or somesuch. I heard that they put a fence around it recently (out of some sort of security concern, I guess), to the tune of 1/3 of a million dollars.
City of Champions.... represent! (launches into alma matter)
Old 02-03-2006, 09:15 AM   #9
Rhylan
Minister of Soul

Quote:
I just remember all the media hype about Hamilton/Celina. It seemed like it might have been local. I will probably get to see them play Crawford if it is local this year. Nice to see a local rivalry forming.
Yeah, it's not much of a rivalry yet, mainly still a yearly whipping. Hamilton has become respectable, but Crawford is still Crawford.

When I was a sophomore, they whupped us 52-3, and that's when they were still in 1A. That was in '95. At least we've kinda graduated beyond that.