Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 02-09-2006, 10:52 PM   #1
HexNBA
Golden Member

HexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to allHexNBA is a name known to all
Default Cuban lowers prices for 2006-07

Cuban lowers prices for 2006-07

Some Mavericks tickets will cost $2; owner credits lower luxury tax

09:35 PM CST on Thursday, February 9, 2006

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Two-dollar NBA tickets?

Believe it.

Mark Cuban never wants fans to avoid Mavericks games because seats are too expensive, so he decided to make good on a promise he made years ago. The owner said then that when his payroll became more manageable, he would pass the savings on to fans in the form of lower prices. On Thursday, he followed through.

All seats in the upper level of American Airlines Center will be reduced in price for the 2006-07 season and for a special 10-game ticket pack, prices will be as low as $2 per game. The team is also increasing the number of tickets priced at $10 from 1,000 to 1,800, almost 10 percent of the building.

"Our luxury tax is going to go way down for a variety of reasons, and we decided rather than sticking it in my pocket, we'll put it in the fans' pockets," Cuban said. "Those are the hardest to sell. But I never want to hear that Maverick tickets are too expensive. I'm just keeping my promise."

Cuban said that selling out AAC is not becoming more difficult. But this is the first time such an extensive drop in prices has taken place. Tickets for $50 will be lowered to $48, $35 to $33, $19 to $18 and $10 to $9. And all lower bowl seats will be the same price next season.

Using his asset: They say it's good to be king. But as far as Erick Dampier can tell, it's even better in the NBA to be king-sized.

The Mavericks' center had another bruising hookup with Miami's 7-1, 330-pound Shaquille O'Neal on Thursday night, and it was a reminder of just how massive the Heat's center is.

Does that size add up to a built-in advantage for O'Neal in the form of more leeway?

"He's so much bigger than anybody," Dampier said. "He can move you around with his body mass. Does he get away with a lot more? Maybe he does."

Stackhouse says be patient: Josh Howard will have to wait another year, at least, before he gets a shot at the All-Star Game, but Jerry Stackhouse said the 6-7 swingman's time might not be far off.

"He's had stretches this year when he's played at an All-Star level," Stackhouse said. "He's had stretches where he's struggled. It's his third year. A lot of players who have become icons of the game and perennial All-Stars, they didn't make it their first two or three years."

Avery Johnson, meanwhile, was somewhat surprised the Mavericks didn't have more than one All-Star – Dirk Nowitzki.

"I would have liked to have seen Josh or Terry or someone else besides Dirk," Johnson said. "I think they should have been rewarded. Detroit got four. I think any team playing good basketball around the break, they're deserving of having multiple guys."

Mavericks at Denver , 9:30 p.m. today (FSNSW; ESPN-FM 103.3, KFLC-AM 1270 in Spanish)
Old 02-09-2006, 11:10 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Nice job Cubes. Very nice.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:13 PM   #3
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Man, what an embarrasment of an owner.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:19 PM   #4
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Maybe I didn't read the article carefully enough, but he sounds like an awesome owner if he's lowering ticket prices. I know he's embarrassing with other things, but I don't understand how that comment fits here.
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 11:26 PM   #5
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by jleefilled
Maybe I didn't read the article carefully enough, but he sounds like an awesome owner if he's lowering ticket prices. I know he's embarrassing with other things, but I don't understand how that comment fits here.
He isn't an embarrasment. I had my tongue implanted firmly in my cheek as I typed it. I love Cuban. I was mainly messing with those on this board that call him an embarrasment.

Oh how I long for the days of the little blue moon.
Old 02-09-2006, 11:38 PM   #6
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

He's an embarrassment often enough. He's genius other times...
It's what you get with Cuban.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

I'll pay $20 bucks for 10 Mavs tickets. I need to keep my eye out for that deal when it comes out next year because I imagine that ticket package will fly fast.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:27 AM   #8
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

Best owner EVER.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 02:09 AM   #9
jleefilled
Platinum Member

jleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant futurejleefilled has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
He isn't an embarrasment. I had my tongue implanted firmly in my cheek as I typed it. I love Cuban. I was mainly messing with those on this board that call him an embarrasment.

Oh how I long for the days of the little blue moon.
AH, I gotcha. I'm slow, and stupid. : )
jleefilled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #10
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be referring to this as my "Michael Finley Discount" when I write that smaller check to renew my season tickets! So much for all those people who whined about Cuban lining his own pockets when we cut Finley--he just put about $100 bucks back in my pocket! (which I'll probably blow on poker tonight, unfortunately.)
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #11
The Crippler
Diamond Member

The Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant futureThe Crippler has a brilliant future

good stuff Cuban. $2 a ticket...even I might be able to afford that.
"I say 'Hey Lama, how about a little something ya know', for the effort?' And he says 'oh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness.' So I got that going for me...which is nice."
The Crippler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 11:49 AM   #12
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Soaking the rich.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote