Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Mavs Big Al is a big help

Mavs Big Al is a big help

By Jeff Caplan
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

MEMPHIS - Jason Terry has a new pair of shoes waiting for every game. Darrell Armstrong wants a cup of coffee -- 10 lumps -- when he gets to the arena.

Three headbands are always lined up in Erick Dampier's locker -- one for pregame warmups, another for the first half and a fresh one for the second half. Jerry Stackhouse needs more braces and sleeves than he has body parts.

"My job is to make sure they have no distractions so they can just play basketball," said Mavericks equipment manager Al Whitley, affectionately known as Big Al. "I'll take care of the rest."

Invisible to fans, Whitley, 31, is invaluable -- even inspirational? -- to the players.

"Dirk and I, before every game starts, I'll pass him the ball, he'll shoot a 3 and once he makes it we'll have a little motivational speech together," Whitley said. "From game to game, it changes, not that he needs it, but I'm trying to get him a little pumped up for the game."

So how'd Whitley, a criminology major, get the gig? Connections.

"I actually grew up with Steve Nash," Whitley said. "He's one of my best friends. I got to meet Mark [Cuban] through Steve."

Whitley, the small forward on Nash's junior high and high school teams, played ball at the University of New Brunswick, planned to go to law school but instead moved to Phoenix and joined another childhood friend in commercial real estate.

Now he's hoping to work his way up to the front office. He wants to be a GM.

"Right now I'm kind of like a utility guy," Whitley said. "I love my job and I love being with the team, and I'm just trying to learn as much as I can every day."

He's also keeping close tabs back home where his wife, Priscilla, is nursing 6-week-old daughter Koi Taylor, their first child.

"It's the best time of the year for the team, but to leave my brand new daughter is very tough," Whitley said. "But I'll get time in the summer to be with her."

The Mavs hope to keep him stocking lockers well into June.

Weekend with Damp

Erick Dampier grew up in not-too-far-away Jackson, Miss., and went to college at even closer Mississippi State, which ranks a close second around here in hoops love behind only the hometown Tigers.

Speculation had Damp headed to the Grizz before he ultimately settled on Mark Cuban's $73 mil.

"I went to the mall yesterday," Dampier said, "and everybody was talking to me about, 'Why didn't you come to Memphis?'"

Damp and almost everyone he knows are here now. His ticket requests neared 30 for both games. Mom Mary and dad Kennith, sisters Shekerra, 18, and Kierra, 15, and several old teammates from Lawrence County High's proud back-to-back state championship teams are all here.

Plenty of Mississippi Staters, too, who will never forget the shot-swatting Dampier during the '96 team's run to the school's only Final Four.

"A lot of people remember those days," Dampier said.

Hot & Spicy

Spotted Monday heading into Gus's World Famous Fried Chicken, a dingy juke-joint just off the beaten path from downtown, were Mavs Marquis Daniels, Darrell Armstrong and Josh Powell.

Gus's serves up hot-and-spicy battered chicken, slaw, beans and the sweetest sweet tea this side of the mighty Mississippi.

So much for grilled chicken and veggies on game day.

"I had six legs," the 180-pound Armstrong said. "Those things were good."

Newest fan

Mavs coach Avery Johnson is adding Cowboys and Saints tickets to his Texans tickets.

Johnson grew up in New Orleans and his family lives in The Woodlands, a Houston suburb.

Before the Texans shocked the world and passed on Southern Cal star Reggie Bush, Johnson figured he'd be sporting a Texans Bush jersey this season.

Instead, he said he'll be wearing Bush's black-and-gold jersey at the Saints' September home opener, their first game back in New Orleans since Hurricane Katrina.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links