Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-23-2006, 11:07 PM   #41
sp3nc3r13

sp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nicesp3nc3r13 is just really nice

what is the Phoenix Sun's main forum? I usually like reading up what their fans have to say.
Old 05-23-2006, 11:20 PM   #42
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

This will NOT be an easy series and hopefully AJ is kicking more than Josh Howard in the 'nads to get his point across.

The suns are a quirky dangerous group if they are shooting 3s well. We've had problems with teams that do that.

We'll have to find a way to close out on those shots. I am hoping that jason/devin/armstrong will beat up nash.

I'm also hoping that damp/diop have learned enough (I think they have) to listen to AJ and stay on the ground against nash.

It will be quite interesting who the mavs start.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:23 PM   #43
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Yeah, it's definetly not a pushover series, but I'm very confident in the Mavs.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:33 PM   #44
Nash2STAT
Banned

Nash2STAT can only hope to improve
Wink

Don't go to the ESPN boards for many sane or mature Suns fans. Phxsuns.net is probably your best bet, but don't be so surprised when we like the Suns chances to win. We're homers, just like the rest of you so deal with it.
I hope Jerry Stackhouse gets his face broken this time.
Nash2STAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:42 PM   #45
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexamenos
well....they have already won two 7-game series against bottom-half of the bracket, 40+ win teams.
Excellent comment
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:48 PM   #46
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

The key to this series is one person...............Avery Johnson.

we will see how well he can get the team to control the pace. I'm not saying it was easy, but it was easier to run against the spurs b/c they weren't that good in transition. In this series, we shouldn't run as much. Having said that, playing the spurs helps us against the suns. For the majority of the spurs series, they played small with Duncan in the post and 4 three point shooters.

The key players of this series will be Harris, Howard, and Daniels. if we continue with the same starting lineup, Devin will have to control the ball better. The good thing about him is really no one in the suns' backcourt can guard him. In the past two series for the Suns, the two best backcourt players for each team (Kobe, Cassell) would dribble looking for a shot while Devin will just drive to the basket.

Another semi-important thing for this series is the suns two best defenders. Marion will obviously be guarding Dirk. Good news is Dirk has done a great job this year against smaller defenders and will probably not have TOO much hard of a time getting 30 every game. Only bad news is Marion will probably be the best defender on Dirk for the rest of the playoffs. I think if Dirk can consistently put Marion in foul trouble for the first 2 games or so, it might force D' Antoni's hand in taking him off Dirk. The other guy is Bell. Now i didn't watch much of the Clippers series, but i assume Bell guarded Maggette. The best thing about the Mavs, and might be ultimately the thing that wins them the series, is the fact that players like Josh, Devin, Daniels, Terry don't need the ball a lot to score, so that really neutralizes Bell's defense. Another thing i wanted to speak on is that if we stay with the same starting lineup, Nash's defense, believe it or not, will be something to monitor. Because in the against the lakers and clippers, they'd stick him on some weaker offensive player. In this series, he would have to guard either Harris, Terry, or Howard. Last thing i wanted to touch on is Dallas' depth will force all 5 suns players to guard somebody at all times. They won't get the opportunity to cheat on defensive plays.

Key to the series as far as the Mavs' defense goes is Nash. Even though it probably won't seem this way, but i think nash is going to have the hardest time against the Mavs then any other team. The best assumption is he will be guarded by Harris. Even though nash is more seasoned and craftier, Harris has the speed and agility to stay in front of nash and contest his shot without fouling. Another part of guarding Nash is the pick and pop. Nash is going to have a harder time with it in part because of Harris and the fact that the person switching will be more atheletic than people he's faced in the playoffs.

So going back to my 1st sentence, if Avery can keep the game at a slower pace and keep the Mavs focused, i think they'll win.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman

Last edited by Nash13; 05-23-2006 at 11:51 PM.
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:56 PM   #47
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Suns are tough. They are the ultimate test of focus. They run around in circles, trying to lure their opponents into running, and when the running starts, it's like a cartoon dust cloud, and Suns are efficient at ending up ahead.

That said, Mavs have the focus and the skills to down them in 5-6 games. We have the roland ranking leader for the playoffs. We have the leadership. We have homecourt advantage. We have the skills. We just have to play it tight and passionate, dominate at home and keep from being discouraged when they start bombing threes in Phoenix.

Last edited by EricaLubarsky; 05-23-2006 at 11:58 PM.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2006, 11:58 PM   #48
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirt_dobber
anyone want to recap the games we played against them this year? I really appreciate the effort and homework by many posters on this board.

Go Mavs!!
First game - double OT win in first game of the season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=251101021

Second game - Howard with 18 rebounds in the win.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=251214006

Third game - Dallas was without Howard, KVH and Harris. We lost.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260305006

Fourth game - Harris played 7 minutes, KVH missed the game. The game was late in the season and both teams were pretty much locked into their seeds. We lost but it was not a very meaningful game.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=260413021

Last edited by MFFL; 05-24-2006 at 12:00 AM.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 12:55 AM   #49
woods

woods is on a distinguished road

The Suns got pushed to 7 games against two teams that are worse than the Grizzlies, who the Mavs handled easily in 4. The mavs are a class above the Suns this season.

How did the Spurs beat the Suns in last year's WCF? Can we use a similar strategy?
woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2006, 01:53 AM   #50
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Legler just said the Mavs are favorites to win it all, citing the Mavs have enough speed on the perimeter to chase the suns off the 3 point line; that they are versatile enough and have enough firepower to beat the Pistons' defense; and that they simply overmatch the Heat. Go Legler, finally seeing the light after all these years!
Old 05-24-2006, 05:17 AM   #51
twelli
Diamond Member

twelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant futuretwelli has a brilliant future

I actually find it difficult to dislike the Suns. I think they play a refreshing style of basketball, very nice to watch. Forgetting for a second that Nash left the Mavs, I really enjoy watching his handling of the ball and always finding someone open somewhere. Marion is a very likeable player as well. I really like his unique way of shooting the ball (very different) and his ability to jump and get all those rebounds. Diaw is also an amazing talent. I always wonder how he can average, what, 6 assists (!) playing on the same team as nash.

Having said that, I don't think they can match the intensity and consistency of the mavs right now. We are 8-3 in the playoffs and even in the three losses we had the chance to win the game. Avery will make sure that we don't take them lightly. And the revenge thing is an additional bonus to have.

Unless the Suns steal one of the first two games, this is going to be over in 5 games. We will win one on the road and three at home. Book it...

“He’s always around 23 or 24,” West said. “The bell rings every day.”
twelli is offline   Reply With Quote