Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 03-17-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default DJ & this years No. 1 to NY

Here's what Dallas should do: Trade this year's No. 1 (we don't need any more players--and if we do Donnie Nelson will find them as free agents) and a resigned DJ Benga to NY for the next No. 1 NY is allowed to trade and either Nate Robinson or David Lee.

Why Dallas does it--We don't need more players right now, and either Nate Robinson (3rd string point guard) or David Lee (back up power forward) helps fill the little holes we do have. DJ needs to play, and he's not likely to get much time here or to resign without it, and he's a free agent. New York is going to keep on sucking so their draft pick will be much better than Dallas's pick this year.

Why New York does it: First, Isaiah Thomas. Second, NY doesn't have a draft pick this year and the fans need something to look forward to. Third, Isiah Thomas. Fourth, a new Big Man to pin NY's hopes on. Fifth, need I say it, Isiah Thomas.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-20-2006, 01:29 AM   #2
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I'd definitely say yes to this trade. It seems as though NY could get more for that package but either Nate or Lee would be extremely welcomed additions to this team with KVH possibly departing and DA aging.

Edit: When is Greg Oden (spelling?) supposed to enter the draft? If we could land that pick (surely a lottery pick but probably somewhere around top 2-3 protected) we may be able to combine that with something else to land the # 1 overall. It would be nice to have a young stud at the C postiong. Just a thought.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki

Last edited by Dirkenstien; 03-20-2006 at 01:32 AM.
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 02:50 AM   #3
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

Uhhh why does NY do it again lol? Plus can the Mavs even trade this year's pick? I know they can't trade consecutive picks but i'm not sure if they have already traded this upcoming pick away.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:03 AM   #4
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

If there is any way we can convince DJ to stick around, I feel that that would be the best course of action. His improvement this year suggests to me that he could be a legitimate third option at center for us and might even contribute meaningful minutes (in the event of an injury to either Damp or Diop - we've been very fortunate this year but I feel that we are overdue for something...hopefully it isn't big). Athletic 7-footers with a defensive mentality don't grow on trees and I would hate to let DJ slip through our fingers.

That being said, if we are unable to convince him to stay, I think that this is a pretty good trade scenario. I'm reluctant to bring in Robinson because I would feel about as comfortable with him at PG as I do DA, and his minutes would be way too sparse at the 2. I doubt he would be happy playing the same amount of time as SuperSpare. David Lee is an intriguing player to me, he brings alot to the table at the PF position and I would actually be very happy to have him on the team (especially if KVH is gone). I see him as a blue-collar player, Brian Cardinal/Mark Madsen-ish but better. He runs the floor well and is pretty efficient on the boards. He's not going to stretch any defenses but would be a great garbage man - definitely the kind of 'glue guy' our team could use. I haven't seen enough Knicks games to see how effective he is at defending the elite PFs, but if he's anywhere above average that would be icing on the cake.
orangedays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 03:29 AM   #5
wescx

wescx will become famous soon enoughwescx will become famous soon enough

Dallas doesnt have any draft picks this year.

Even if Dallas wasnt getting a pick back in return Thomas would never trade us Robinson for Mbenga and a late first rounder.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:56 AM   #6
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I looked it up. Dallas has its first round pick this year--but not its 2007 so Dallas can't trade the first this year (but we could pick for someone and then trade).

New York has Denver's No. 1 this year. I think the first year New York could trade its own pick is 2008.

Even backing up Curry, MBenga is worth more than Robinson or Lee.
Old 03-20-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
wescx

Unlike Mbenga, Robinson has proven that he can play in this league.

IF the Knicks did want to trade him they could certainly get more than Mbenga.
Old 03-20-2006, 04:28 PM   #8
orangedays
Platinum Member

orangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant futureorangedays has a brilliant future

I'd have to agree with wescx on this one. In addition to my belief that Nate would be a poor fit on this team, Robinson's stock is relatively high (certainly higher than Mbenga's) and I doubt that the Knicks would move him (yet...at least not while he's on his rookie contract) - the Francis' and Marbury's of the world would bring back much better talent.

To be honest, the Knicks seem very high on David Lee as well and I'm not sure they'd be willing to move him either, at least not for DJ, which is unfortunate because I think Lee would be a great fit. If the Mavs are indeed interested in trading DJ, I would expect to see him play alot more minutes in the last dozen or so games this season. We'll see.
Old 03-21-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The Knicks should trade everyone except Robinson, Curry and Frey. Marbury and Francis have to go. Brown already said when Richardson comes back, Francis is on the bench.

Marbury and Francis might be interesting buy low, sell high players. AKA Nick the Quick or Jet. The mavs need more of a pennetrator at the point. Jet is too Finleyesque for max money.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:39 PM   #10
wescx

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayC
The Knicks should trade everyone except Robinson, Curry and Frey. Marbury and Francis have to go. Brown already said when Richardson comes back, Francis is on the bench.

Marbury and Francis might be interesting buy low, sell high players. AKA Nick the Quick or Jet. The mavs need more of a pennetrator at the point. Jet is too Finleyesque for max money.
JET won't be getting a max contract this offseason.
Old 03-22-2006, 01:57 PM   #11
Dtownsfinest
Diamond Member

Dtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant futureDtownsfinest has a brilliant future

JET's going to get the mid-level exception. If he won't take that than let him go to a bottom tier team because those are the only teams that will even think about signing him for more than the exception.
Dtownsfinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 01:49 AM   #12
wescx

That's not right either.

He'll probably be getting in the 4yr 8 mil range - and probably from the Mavs.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:23 AM   #13
Darke

Darke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura aboutDarke has a spectacular aura about

No way - Terry will get something around the midlevel, little bit more perhaps. Compare him to Daniels and what he gets - he won't stay for less.
Darke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 06:43 PM   #14
wescx

Daniels got a 6 year 36 million dollar contract. That's higher than midlevel and Terry will certainly get more per year but for a shorter time.

JET will definitely have some serious suitors this offseason - Boston and Cleveland come to mind.

Last edited by wescx; 03-23-2006 at 06:45 PM.
wescx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 09:21 AM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say no to the trade above. There is no one on that team except Channing Frye that I would really want on the Mavs.

He would be an awesome backup to Dirk.
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:18 AM   #16
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

isn't DJ a free agent this year? We don't have any Bird rights on him, so a sign and trade doesn't really make sense.

We either lock him up or let him walk. My guess is that he'll get significant interest from other teams and we lose him in free agency. Next year, the world will witness the giant first steps of the great Siberian Bear.
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:36 AM   #17
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wescx
Daniels got a 6 year 36 million dollar contract. That's higher than midlevel and Terry will certainly get more per year but for a shorter time.

JET will definitely have some serious suitors this offseason - Boston and Cleveland come to mind.

Actually Daniels did sign for the midlevel--that's all we could offer him at the time. Most NBA contracts iinclude raises each year, even MLE contracts, so that's why the average of $6MM seems higher than this year's MLE.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 11:08 AM   #18
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by madape
isn't DJ a free agent this year? We don't have any Bird rights on him, so a sign and trade doesn't really make sense.

We either lock him up or let him walk. My guess is that he'll get significant interest from other teams and we lose him in free agency. Next year, the world will witness the giant first steps of the great Siberian Bear.
Yes, but with the new CBA we can match any offer he gets.
Old 03-24-2006, 11:21 AM   #19
madape
Diamond Member

madape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to beholdmadape is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
cool

still, watch out for the Bear
madape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 04:46 PM   #20
rabbitproof
Diamond Member

rabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond reputerabbitproof has a reputation beyond repute

I think JET will get some 10M/yr offers somewhere. Hopefully we can keep him on a happiness discount. 3yr/27M or 4yr/32M sounds appropriate.

watch your thoughts, they become your words
rabbitproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:17 AM   #21
wescx

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobatundi
Actually Daniels did sign for the midlevel--that's all we could offer him at the time. Most NBA contracts iinclude raises each year, even MLE contracts, so that's why the average of $6MM seems higher than this year's MLE.
Ah, Thanks for the correction.
Old 03-25-2006, 11:40 AM   #22
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I believe we can match UP to the MLE, no more. And it doesn't count AS our MLE.

So conceivably we can match DJ up to the MLE and still use the MLE on another player...
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 02:09 PM   #23
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

I think the new CBA changed the rules so that we can match any offer to DJ.

But, given that he's our third string center, I think that a sign and trade would be appropriate for any salary level approaching the MLE.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:09 PM   #24
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

Am I the only one that doesn't think DJ is going to get many offers, especially none at the level we're all talking?
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2006, 03:19 PM   #25
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
I think the new CBA changed the rules so that we can match any offer to DJ.

But, given that he's our third string center, I think that a sign and trade would be appropriate for any salary level approaching the MLE.
I don't think so, just up to the MLE. I'm pretty sure I've read this somewhere else. If we could match any offer then that would be saying he has bird rights and I don't think that is true.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
Old 03-25-2006, 03:20 PM   #26
orangedays
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
Am I the only one that doesn't think DJ is going to get many offers, especially none at the level we're all talking?
I got your back, no way DJ gets anything near the MLE. He'll get offers...but I doubt he sees anything higher than what Diop received this year (EDIT to add: $2m this year, then $2.16 and $2.32).

Last edited by orangedays; 03-25-2006 at 03:23 PM.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:22 PM   #27
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by spreedom
I don't think he will get offers up the MLE but I also don't think that will be the most important thing he will think about.

If I were his agent, I'd sign for less money somewhere that he would get playing time. I would have to weigh that against longer-term offers (you can't knock 15m bucks after all!!) but if slightly comparable, I'd go for the playing time. Then hopefully he'd be in for a very big payday later.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:23 PM   #28
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
I don't think so, just up to the MLE. I'm pretty sure I've read this somewhere else. If we could match any offer then that would be saying he has bird rights and I don't think that is true.
I think you are correct, but I think if my memory is right that DJ cannot be offered over the MLE because he does not have 4 years in yet. I think they totally closed the Gilbert Arenas situation.
Old 03-25-2006, 03:32 PM   #29
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
I think you are correct, but I think if my memory is right that DJ cannot be offered over the MLE because he does not have 4 years in yet. I think they totally closed the Gilbert Arenas situation.
You mean another team can't offer him over the MLE???? That's quite shocking to me. Interesting but shocking. Nice of the union to agree to protect the owners from themselves like that.
Old 03-25-2006, 04:35 PM   #30
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

http://members.cox.net/lmcoon/salarycap

Offer sheets to restricted free agents with one or two years of service are constrained to the average salary in the first season, with further constraints on raises and the salary cap room necessary to provide an offer.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:57 AM   #31
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

Utah has about seven million in cap space. I believe the Hawks have cap space. Jet is the second best scorer on the team. If Damp gets around fifty million, Jet is at least worth that. I believe that Marbury is an exceptional talent. Avery a former point guard could turn his career back on track.

The mavs will not let Jet walk. There probably isn't a better free agent big men on the market. The pistons just collect them. A good thing if you don't have a center named Yao or Shaq.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 05:10 AM   #32
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

"If I were [DJ's] agent, I'd sign for less money somewhere that he would get playing time"

The Mavs have the right of first refusal on any offer that DJ decides to accept. They can just match the offer and keep him.

He cant be offered more than the MLE in the first year - but he wont get anyone wanting to make an offer that size anyhow.
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 09:08 AM   #33
dude1394
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poindexter Einstein
"If I were [DJ's] agent, I'd sign for less money somewhere that he would get playing time"

The Mavs have the right of first refusal on any offer that DJ decides to accept. They can just match the offer and keep him.

He cant be offered more than the MLE in the first year - but he wont get anyone wanting to make an offer that size anyhow.
I think I"m starting to get it. So the mavs can match and keep him no matter whether dj wants them too or not. So the course of action would be a sign and trade for draft pick/etc.
Old 05-13-2006, 12:58 PM   #34
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
I think I"m starting to get it. So the mavs can match and keep him no matter whether dj wants them too or not. So the course of action would be a sign and trade for draft pick/etc.
Yes, or keep him, since he is a truly athletic developing Big, and trade a different assett for the last piece of the puzzle, if you don't think you have that piece already.
Old 05-13-2006, 03:48 PM   #35
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

I like DJ...but why sign him and bury him on the end of the bench? If the Mavs have any intention of ever playing Podkolzine, then they already have a 3rd-string mop-up center. At some point the organization needs to be fair to the player--if another team wants to pay him $2-3MM a year, and will give him 20 minutes a game, I say let them...especially if they're willing to throw us a draft pick in a sign-and-trade, giving us an extra pick and possibly a trade exception to use later.

If nobody wants the guy and we can re-sign him for the league minimum (or close to it), it's worth hanging onto him another year or so to see what he can turn into...but even then I think he's trade bait. Let's not forget, DJ is older--and has far less basketball skill--than Diop, who should only get better over the next couple years.
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:20 AM   #36
Poindexter Einstein
Golden Member

Poindexter Einstein will become famous soon enough

"I like DJ...but why sign him and bury him on the end of the bench? If the Mavs have any intention of ever playing Podkolzine, then they already have a 3rd-string mop-up center. At some point the organization needs to be fair to the player--....."

Roster choices must be about the needs of the organization, first and foremost. This is not social work. You have rights to players, and you better maximize your choices.

At the same time, you certainly dont sign DJ for the purpose of burying him. You sign him as an asset that is usable, or tradeable, depending on your preference.

He still has lots of room to improve. Is he ready to be 2nd string, and get those kinds of minutes? When he is, he either gets PT here, or gets traded. In the meantime, while he is cheap and developing, might as well keep him.

As for Pavel, dont get your hopes up. He's the one to trade away - he is YEARS from being an NBA player (if ever).
Poindexter Einstein is offline   Reply With Quote