Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 06-07-2006, 04:40 PM   #41
TripleDipping
Diamond Member

TripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud ofTripleDipping has much to be proud of

Too much ass-kissing.
TripleDipping is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2006, 06:13 PM   #42
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Familiar, new faces brighten NBA finals between Dallas-Miami

By JAIME ARON, AP Sports Writer
June 7, 2006

DALLAS (AP) -- Never mind that the Miami Heat and the Dallas Mavericks are NBA finals neophytes.

When the series opens Thursday night, even folks who don't follow basketball will recognize plenty of primary characters -- the enormous center with the huge smile, the coach with the snazzy suit and slicked-back hair, even the rich guy in a Mavericks T-shirt and jeans usually seen yelling at the officials.

The names Shaquille O'Neal and Pat Riley certainly aren't new to the NBA's championship series, and each is easy to put with a face. Both have parlayed their hoops fame into other ventures, with O'Neal an endorser, actor and rapper; Riley as an author of best-selling leadership books.

Riley, who retooled Miami's roster as general manager before installing himself as coach earlier this season, seems to be selling his message to the Heat players.

"I think he knows this is what you play for, this moment right here," the 7-foot-1, 325-pound center said Wednesday.

Though both O'Neal and Riley won titles with the Los Angeles Lakers, they weren't there at the same time. Together in Miami, they've taken the Heat to the finals for the first time in the team's 18-year history.

The Dallas Mavericks have waited 26 years to reach the finals since their inception, making this the NBA's first between newcomers since 1971.

To everyone in Dallas, it was worth the wait.

"It's amazing," said the series' third familiar face, Mark Cuban, the outspoken Internet billionaire owner of the Mavericks.

"It means a lot to me, but it means that much more to the guys and the city," he said. "To know you can energize a city is beyond (expectations)."

The casually dressed Cuban is sure to get plenty of air time on ABC during this series for his passionate cheering and ref-baiting. Although he notes that his anger is aimed at the system, not the guys in the zebra shirts, it's still cost him well over $1 million in fines, including $200,000 during this year's playoffs.

Will he be on his best behavior for the finals?

"Yeah," he said, laughing. "I'm going to be wearing a suit and I'm going to have some masking tape over my mouth, too."

Cuban spent a chunk of his fortune to buy his favorite team in January 2000. With his aggressive, media-savvy personality, he's become quite a celebrity in sports, business and beyond. Two years ago, he hosted the short-lived reality show "The Benefactor" on ABC, exchanging verbal jabs with Donald Trump along the way.

The Mavericks have spent most of their history in the shadow of the Dallas Cowboys and all their Super Bowls. Things were especially tough in the 1990s, when the Mavericks had the worst record of any team in North America pro sports.

(Chided then as the "Mav-wrecks," feel free to call them the "Mavs." They even have jerseys designed by P. Diddy featuring that nickname of their nickname.)

Back in those dark days, which began before Cuban struck it rich, he'd buy cheap seats and sneak into the expensive ones. Once he was able to afford courtside seats, he screamed so loud that players and referees couldn't help but notice him.

In fact, when players were introduced to their new owner, several recognized him as the loudmouth near their bench.

Cuban's money and boundless energy started the team's turnaround. The arrival of coach Avery Johnson put them over the top: Two years removed from playing in the league, he was voted coach of the year.

Other fresh faces in this series belong to rising stars on the court: Dallas' Dirk Nowitzki and Miami's Dwyane Wade.

Nowitzki is from Wurzburg, Germany, the city otherwise best known as the birthplace of the X-ray.

He was 16 when he was discovered by Holger Geschwindner, the captain of Germany's 1972 Olympic basketball team. Four years later, Nowitzki broke into the NBA as a somewhat of a novelty act: a 7-footer who shoots 3-pointers.

Now approaching 28, he's still enough of a marksman that he won the 3-point shooting contest at this year's All-Star game. But he's developed enough of an all-around game that he comes into the finals averaging the most points and rebounds of anyone on either club.

Alas, Nowitzki's first championship appearance is overshadowed in his homeland. Soccer's World Cup begins Friday in Germany.

"If the German team competes, basketball is not a big thing," Geschwindner said. "If they got kicked out, it might be."

Wade grew up in Chicago dreaming of becoming the next Michael Jordan. In only his third season, some say he's well on his way: Nicknamed "Flash," he's every bit the star sidekick to O'Neal that Kobe Bryant once was, except without the acrimonious relationship.

Most observers are split over which team will win. Dallas has the home-court advantage (four games to Miami's three), but the Heat have more championship experience -- and the gargantuan O'Neal.

ABC probably wouldn't mind the series going a full seven games. The network will broadcast all the games at 9 p.m. EDT on Thursdays, Sundays and Tuesdays until there's a champion.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:38 PM   #43
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Terry will take his best shot

Mavs guard is looking at Finals as opportunity of a lifetime

02:32 PM CDT on Wednesday, June 7, 2006
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Jason Terry knows what you're thinking. The Mavericks guard had the same thoughts.
He was shooting less than 40 percent in the Western Conference finals against Phoenix until he had a second-half revival in Game 6. That was unacceptable.
"Average at best," he said.
Especially for a guy who prides himself on making big shots and shooting a high percentage no matter the situation.

That's why Terry believes the NBA Finals are a chance to redeem himself on a few points.
First, his shooting against Phoenix was crummy. Second, he still wants to atone for getting suspended for Game 6 of the San Antonio series. Terry came back with a strong Game 7 against the Spurs, but letting his teammates down still nags at him.
So now he goes against the Miami Heat trying to again be a hot shooter who can stretch a defense and make life simpler for Dirk Nowitzki and Josh Howard.

Terry has spent the last few evenings throwing up "tons" of jump shots to try to regain his stroke.
"I'm looking for big things in this " series, he said. "This is it. It's all riding on these games.
"It's all about winning for me. I'm a high-percentage shooter, and that's what I've been focusing on these last couple days: getting prepared for this series."

In the Mavericks camp, the opinion is that Terry's play against Phoenix wasn't that bad. And the way he finished it, by coming alive in the second half of the clinching game, is what matters.
"He finished on an upswing, with momentum," assistant coach Del Harris said. "The second half he had in a huge game will carry over into this [series].

"If I was Jason Terry, I'd be thinking my last performance was pretty good. He's one of our key players, obviously. They will respect his shooting. I promise you there's nobody in Miami saying, 'Lay off of Jason Terry.' "

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 06-07-2006 at 06:38 PM.
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:46 AM   #44
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

On-a-roll players: Additions to Heat hit stride at prime time

By CHIP BROWN / The Dallas Morning News

MIAMI – Heat coach Pat Riley says the world missed the point when he brought in what everyone perceived to be problematic egos of Gary Payton, Antoine Walker and Jason Williams during the off-season.

"The team is coming together and playing together. It's sort of what I thought it would look like," Riley said, smiling after practice this week. "But I'm not all about you guys being wrong. I don't have a blog to write on. I could care less."

The question was if there would be enough basketballs to go around for Walker, Payton and Williams as supporting cast members to stars Shaquille O'Neal and Dwyane Wade. When the team limped to an 11-10 record and Stan Van Gundy stepped down as coach, it appeared the doubters might be right.

Riley, who stepped in as coach, said it was only a matter of time. He acknowledges the chemistry didn't come easily and included major pitfalls. One was a soul-searching team meeting led by Payton after a 36-point loss in Dallas on Feb. 9. A 10-game win streak followed.

"Once you start to winning and have an organization that has some integrity and they trust you, it comes," Riley said. "That's what sacrifice is about. They sacrificed minutes and starting, and they sacrificed shots and a lot of things that took some time for them to get used to. Through sacrifice, the power of unity comes."

Payton, who groused about the triangle offense in Los Angeles, hit big shots late in the Heat's first-round playoff series with the Bulls.

Walker, who voiced frustration with his role in Dallas two seasons ago, dominated Games 4 and 5 of the conference semifinals against the Nets, scoring a combined 43 points.

Williams, known for style over substance in the past, was unstoppable in a series-clinching, Game 6 victory against the Pistons in the conference finals, scoring 21 points on 10-of-12 shooting.

Riley said the acquisition of Payton, Walker and Williams wouldn't have even been possible without a $10 million sacrifice by O'Neal, who took less money so the Heat could sign more players.

O'Neal opted out of a $30.6 million salary for this season and instead agreed to a five-year, $100 million deal that pays him $20 million annually.

Alonzo Mourning said players have made sacrifices because they want to win a championship.

"Once you reach a point in your career where you're established financially for the rest of your life, the only other thing that's important is wanting to be a part of history," Mourning said.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2006, 05:47 AM   #45
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Heat notebook: Center offers hope

Mourning, once a transplant patient, is now key backup

By CHUCK CARLTON / The Dallas Morning News

Miami center Alonzo Mourning has been known to send messages on the court, alter shots and throw the well-timed elbow.

To him, the biggest message he sends is simply being on the court.

Before the 2000-01 season, he was diagnosed with focal segmental glomerulosclerosis, a chronic kidney disease. He was eventually forced to retire early in the 2003-04 season before receiving a kidney transplant in 2003.

Improbably, he returned and has been effective as Shaquille O'Neal's backup, averaging 7.8 points, 5.5 rebounds, 2.7 blocks and 20 minutes.

"Since I stepped back on the court, one of my reasons for competing and playing this game was to continue to provide hope for all transplant patients around the world," Mourning said. "So many people – and I was one of them – go into transplantation uncertain and afraid of the whole ordeal."

Mourning remembers talking to kidney patients before his surgery, in particular a 20-something women who gave him hope and confidence.

"Those individuals don't realize how much of an impact they had on my life," Mourning said. "I realize that now, with the e-mails and letters I get from individuals when they see me running up and down the court. It gives them hope to continue the fight and believe they're going to be OK."

Getting his shot: Dwyane Wade arrived for the Finals facing questions again about his health and outside shot.

Wade went through conditioning drills Wednesday. He has battled a virus and sinus infection since the Eastern Conference finals.

When Wade starts Game 1, he may find the Mavericks willing to give him the outside shot. Josh Howard suggested Tuesday that Wade's jumper was a weak spot.

"I've been hearing it as long as I've been playing this game," said Wade, who is making 51 percent of his playoff field goal attempts. "You know, if they are going to let me shoot, that's fine. I think I've proved I can make shots."

Move over Seinfeld: The Big Aristotle was at his playful best the day before the Finals.

Shaquille O'Neal dared a court reporter-type to type the exact transcription of "Bleh, bleh, bleh, bleh, bleh, bleh."

He even borrowed the distinctive eyewear of Tonight Show contributor Mo Rocca and said, "I love you Jay Leno."

Tiger likes the Heat: It's not enough that Tiger Woods skipped the Texas PGA Tour events. He also snubbed the Mavericks.

Woods wrote on his Web site Wednesdy that he's pulling for Shaquille O'Neal and the Heat. "Shaq is a neighbor," Woods wrote, "and we've had lunch a few times."

Staff Writer Bill Nichols contributed to this report.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:49 AM   #46
kriD
Platinum Member

Mavericks notebook: Playoffs have seasoned Dallas players

By CALVIN WATKINS / The Dallas Morning News

Dallas' younger players are going up against a veteran Miami team in Game 1 of the NBA Finals.

No big deal, Mavericks players say, because for most of the playoffs, they have played fearlessly.

"That's the attitude you have to have," second-year guard Devin Harris said after Wednesday's practice. "We're on this stage and we got here and we're not satisfied with it. We're four games away from a trophy, and we can do it."

Miami guard Gary Payton believes the Mavericks' younger players such as Harris, Josh Howard and Jason Terry play much like their passionate coach.

"That's from Avery Johnson," Payton said. "That's the type of basketball player he was when he was playing. He gives them a lot of freedom, where they don't have to worry about stuff."

Jerry Stackhouse, one of the few veterans on the Mavericks, said the younger players are not caught up in the postseason hype.

Stackhouse said as long as the team continues what it does best in the backcourt, drive to the basket and not settle for jump shots, things will be fine.

"I think playing as many games as we've had, it should be an issue for our young guys, and it isn't," Stackhouse said of nervousness. "The young guys don't care, or don't know any better."

Dampier's plan: Erick Dampier has a big task in taking on Shaquille O'Neal at center. Dampier will have some help from DeSagana Diop and Keith Van Horn. But Dampier, who signed with Dallas as a free agent in 2004, was brought on to take on the bigger centers in the league.

"I can play with any center in this league," Dampier said. "Obviously, I didn't get the touches I got last year, but I have to find some way to keep myself involved, whether it's getting offensive rebounds or running the court."

Terry's hero: One of the main reasons Jason Terry wears a headband is to honor his hero, former Seattle guard Don "Slick" Watts.

"Wow," said the Seattle-born Terry on Watts. "Went to school in third grade, first day of school and in P.E. class, it's Slick Watts in the gym dribbling a basketball. It was unbelievable for me as a kid growing up. I idolized him, and that's why I'm playing basketball today."

Zany fan trips: American Airlines officials said it would reward the "craziest, zaniest" fans in Dallas and Miami with free trips to the NBA Finals.

Starting today, judges at Miami's AmericanAirlines Arena will pick four of the most fanatical Heat fans, giving the winners plane tickets, hotel rooms and tickets for Sunday's game in Dallas. At that game, at Dallas' American Airlines Center, the airline will select four standout Mavs fans to send to Game 3 in Miami on June 13

World Cup watching for Dirk: German-born Dirk Nowitzki said he's excited that his home country is hosting the World Cup, which starts Friday. Nowitzki joked he was sad that more people in Europe will pay more attention to the World Cup than the NBA Finals.

"I'm just sad I can't be there to support the team and I can't really watch too much because I'm really focused on the Finals. Hopefully, [Germany will] get to the final, and that's July 9, and I'll be there."

Armstrong's knee improved: Darrell Armstrong was not his normal self in the Phoenix series after suffering a knee injury. But he said Wednesday the time off before the Finals has helped immeasurably.

"It's much better," Armstrong said. "The fluid has gone out. There's still a little in there, but not much. But it's about keeping the strength in it now – and the quickness, because that's very important to my game."

Bench-warmer no more: Former Maverick Antoine Walker and Jerry Stackhouse have been getting a lot of comparisons before the series because they've both overcome considerable odds to make the Finals.

But Walker draws the line at being a sixth man, as he was for parts of this season.

"I never came off the bench before," he said. "It was difficult at the beginning. But you get used to it and understand what your role is. So I got used to it."

Asked if he would be coming off the bench in the Finals, he said: "I don't come off the bench no more. I haven't come off the bench in a couple months."

Staff Writers Chuck Carlton, Eddie Sefko and Jeff Kearns contributed to this report.
Old 06-08-2006, 05:51 AM   #47
kriD
Platinum Member

MAVERICKS NOTES

Mavs show off-season talk wasn't cheap

By TRACEY MYERS and MERCEDES MAYER
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- The talk about the Mavericks winning a championship practically started the day last season ended.

Mavericks coach Avery Johnson told his players during the Phoenix-San Antonio Western Conference Finals series that they could be there. He brought players to his home in The Woodlands during the off-season and imprinted a championship mentality in their minds.

The belief has been there all season long, even through the ups and downs.

"Did we think we had to compete and we'd have a chance for it? Yes," Jerry Stackhouse said. "But the realization of actually getting to the Finals and actually winning it is just coming true right now."

No freebies

The Mavericks have been strong from the free-throw line this season, and that trend has continued in the playoffs. In 17 postseason games, the Mavericks are hitting 81.6 percent of their free throws.

The Heat, however, has not been so productive. Miami has played the same amount of playoff games, but is converting just 67.7 percent of its attempts. One of the Heat's worst outings came in Game 5 against the Detroit Pistons, when it shot 6-of-20 from the line.

Do the Mavs feel as if they have a legitimate advantage?

"For the most part, I would say so, just by looking at the stats throughout the season," Mavs swingman Josh Howard said. "Not to take anything away from them, but they have a couple of guys who really aren't good free-throw shooters. We're going to try to exploit every option we have, and that's one of them."

Playoff ready

The finishing touches were being put on American Airlines Center on Wednesday to make it fit for hosting an NBA Finals -- and it's all looking golden.

A gold sign reading "The Finals" stretches across the west side of the building, replacing the "It's Playoff Time" banner from previous rounds. Gold chair-back covers that read "The Finals" have been put on chairs in the teams' sideline area, and a giant image of the gold Larry O'Brien Trophy is surrounding the Mavs' logo at center court.

The players have taken notice, partially because about 150-plus media members greeted both teams for the unofficial "media day" Wednesday.

"It's a circus in here," Mavs guard Marquis Daniels said, "but it's a good circus."

Recurring question

Heat forward Udonis Haslem admits that the hundreds of questions he keeps getting about guarding Dirk Nowitzki are getting a little irritating.

Yes, he's going to try to make it hard for Nowitzki to drive inside and get to the free-throw line. And, yes, he knows not to get too far away from Nowitzki when he's in the mid-range area.

"He's playing better than anybody in the NBA right now," Haslem said. "I'm just going to make it as tough as possible."

Can anyone stop Nowitzki?

"So far it doesn't look like it," Haslem said. "I guess I'm the next in line to give it a shot."

Strength not a problem

All the talk has been about the Mavs' speed against the Heat's strength. But don't tell Jerry Stackhouse that the Mavs don't have the strength to match Miami, even if they don't have a Shaquille O'Neal.

"We have size and experience that Shaq really hasn't seen in the playoffs so far," Stackhouse said. "Take nothing away from Ben Wallace -- he's a good friend of mine and probably the best defender in the league -- but against Shaq, he's undersized.

"With [Erick] Dampier, we've got size as well as that same experience."

Talking it through

Darrell Armstrong has been one of the big talkers in the Mavericks' locker room, giving his teammates a boost when necessary. But when Armstrong first went to the Finals with Shaquille O'Neal and the Orlando Magic in 1995, other voices were heard.

Most of them were young.

"Penny [Hardaway] was probably the one who did a lot of the talking," Armstrong said. "Him and Horace Grant. Most of those guys were like 22-, 23-, 24-years old and playing in the NBA Finals. The only veteran was Grant."

No bull

Antoine Walker took umbrage when reporters said the Heat struggled in the first round against the Bulls. After winning the first two games, the Heat lost Games 3 and 4 in Chicago. Walker said it was simply a case of "Chicago holding court" and that the series helped Miami in later rounds.

"The series was good for us because it was a different challenge to us," Walker said. "Their team was perimeter-oriented, and we got used to it because we played two other teams that were perimeter-oriented [New Jersey and Detroit]. It just prepared us for our next opponents."

Eventful times

Dirk Nowitzki knows everyone in Germany is rooting for him, but they'll probably focus more on the World Cup than the NBA Finals.

"[That] is a little sad for me," Nowitzki said, joking of course.

Nowitzki will still try to watch as much of the World Cup as possible and root for the German team.

"I'm excited about it, and I'm just sad I can't be there to support the team," he continued. "Hopefully we'll get to the [World Cup] final, and that's July 9 and I'll be there."
Old 06-08-2006, 05:59 AM   #48
kriD
Platinum Member

FINALS REVIEW

[Star-Telegram]

HEAT ROSTER ANALYSIS

PROBABLE STARTING LINEUP

PG Jason Williams

6-1/180, 8th season, Florida

+ Williams can push the ball on the break and create for others in half-court sets. He also is a good finisher in the lane and an adequate 3-point shooter.

- He can be a shaky decision-maker, and leg injuries have robbed him of a little quickness.

SG Dwyane Wade

6-4/212, 3rd season, Marquette

+ Wade is one of the league's best players. He can penetrate, finish at the rim and is a good mid-range shooter. He also has a knack for hitting big-time shots in the clutch and possesses unreal quickness and leaping ability.

- He is turnover-prone, a little undersized for his position and is vulnerable to injuries because he attacks the basket so ferociously and elevates so high off the ground.

SF Antoine Walker

6-9/245, 10th season, Kentucky

+ Walker possesses good size for his position and can create plays for others. He can do a little bit of everything and is a dangerous 3-point shooter when he heats up.

- Walker has average athletic ability and that costs him on the defensive end and in the paint on offense.

PF Udonis Haslem

6-8/235, 3rd season, Florida

+ Haslem provides the blue-collar work ethic and isn't afraid of the dirty work. He is an active, high-energy player and a good rebounder and defender.

- Haslem is undersized for his position and limited offensively.

C Shaquille O'Neal

7-1/325, 14th season, LSU

+ O'Neal has size, good footwork and possesses a keen understanding of the game. He seems to have been recharged during the Heat's playoff run and has played with great energy.

- Foul trouble is always a concern because O'Neal is the biggest player on the court, and he struggles to maintain a high level of energy every game.

KEY RESERVES

F James Posey

6-8/217, 7th season, Xavier (Ohio)

+ Posey is the Heat's best defender off the bench and is a good 3-point shooter. He's also a good rebounder for his position.

- He isn't much of a ball-handler and is limited offensively.

G Gary Payton

6-4/190, 16th season, Oregon State

+ Payton can still finish on the break and is a sneaky offensive scorer. He's seen just about every situation imaginable and can still exploit certain matchups.

- He isn't much of an athlete anymore and struggles as a standstill shooter. He is also a shadow of his former ball-hawking, defensive-minded self.

C Alonzo Mourning

6-10/261, 13th season, Georgetown

+ Mourning brings relentless energy, attitude and size. He is strong, a good shot-blocker and can still score on occasion.

- His kidney condition has robbed him of some stamina, and he has struggled with leg injuries.

THE HEAT PLAN

1. Pound the ball inside to Shaq

By posting up Shaq early and often, it guarantees the Big Fella will stay interested, rebound and move his feet on defense. Shaq's inside offense will open driving lanes in the paint and create open perimeter shots.

2. Slow things down

The Heat doesn't want Shaq running up and down the court, chasing a smaller opponent and getting caught in a game of fast breaks.

3. Space the floor

Yeah, all teams hope to get proper spacing, but for a team with Shaq it's crucial because of his size and opponents' tendencies to pack the paint against him. With proper spacing, Dwyane Wade gets room to create, passing lanes open and the ball moves more freely.

THE MAVS PLAN

1. Employ the "Spurs" strategy

Remember what the Mavs did so well against San Antonio, which also boasted a dominant post threat in Tim Duncan? They picked up the tempo, unleashed their versatile athletes and attacked the basket. That means Devin Harris, above, could again be the X-factor.

2. Attack in waves

Dallas is the deeper team, and you can bet it will throw an assortment of different defenders at Shaq and Dwyane Wade in an effort to slow them down.

3. Exploit matchups

The Spurs (with Bruce Bowen) and the Suns (with Shawn Marion) couldn't simultaneously slow down the Dirk Nowitzki-Josh Howard tandem. Can the Heat do it with James Posey?

MAVS ROSTER ANALYSIS

PROBABLE STARTING LINEUP

PG Jason Terry

6-2/180, 7th season, Arizona

Must find some consistency with jump shot.

SG Devin Harris

6-3/185, 2nd, Wisconsin

Closest to rivaling Dwyane Wade in speed and quickness.

SF Josh Howard

6-7/210, 3rd, Wake Forest

Best all-around player in the series.

PF Dirk Nowitzki

7-0/245, 8th, Germany

The list of players better than Dirk gets smaller by the day.

C DeSagana Diop

7-0/280, 5th, Oak Hill Academy (Va.)

Guarding Boris Diaw is not a good tuneup for facing Shaq.

KEY RESERVES

G/F Jerry Stackhouse

6-6/218, 11th, North Carolina

Instant offense means instant trouble for Heat.

G/F Adrian Griffin

6-5/230, 7th, Seton Hall

Will likely take a shot at guarding Wade.

F Keith Van Horn

6-10/245, 9th, Utah

Perimeter shooting could pull Heat big men away from basket.

C Erick Dampier

6-11/265, 10th, Miss. St.

Will be depended on to bang with Shaq.

G Marquis Daniels

6-6/200, 3rd, Auburn

May see increased playing time because of Wade.

HOW DO THEY STACK UP?

Key playoff statistics for the Mavs' postseason opponents:

Scoring
Suns 107.2
Spurs 103.1
Heat 97.5
Grizzlies 84.3
Mavs 102.5

Opp. scoring
Heat 92.7
Grizzlies 98.3
Spurs 100.8
Suns 106.0
Mavs 96.6

FG pct.
Spurs 49.2
Heat 48.9
Suns 48.2
Grizzlies 45.1
Mavs 46.1

Opp. FG pct.
Heat 43.2
Grizzlies 45.3
Spurs 45.6
Suns 47.5
Mavs 47.5

3-PT pct.
Suns 39.1
Spurs 39.2
Heat 34.1
Grizzlies 31.3
Mavs 33.3

Opp. 3-PT pct.
Heat 33.8
Spurs 34.5
Suns 33.6
Grizzlies 35.6
Mavs 36.1

FT att.
Spurs 31.1
Heat 29.6
Grizzlies 28.3
Suns 21.6
Mavs 28.8

FT made
Spurs 24.2
Grizzlies 20.5
Heat 20.1
Suns 17.9
Mavs 23.5

FT pct.
Suns 83.1
Spurs 77.7
Grizzlies 72.6
Heat 67.7
Mavs 81.6

Last edited by kriD; 06-08-2006 at 06:07 AM.
Old 06-08-2006, 06:06 AM   #49
kriD
Platinum Member

How they match up

From Shaq and D-Wade to Dirk and Josh, Staff Writer Eddie Sefko breaks down the Finals

By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News

Marvel at the brute strength of Shaquille O'Neal if you must.

But unless there's a drastic change in Miami's basic plan of attack – not likely, by the way – the player in a Heat uniform most likely to dazzle you in the NBA Finals is Dwyane Wade.

He's done it every step of the way in the playoffs. He even does it to O'Neal.

"Everyone likes him," O'Neal says of the 6-4 shooting guard. "I never heard of him before I got here. I didn't know he went to college.

"Other guys at his position, because of who they are or the marketing they have, you hear about them before you know they can actually play. He did it the right way. I didn't know who he was until I saw him play."

And play, Wade can.

He's the Eastern Conference equivalent to Kobe Bryant or a healthy Tracy McGrady. He is a slasher. But he can also make a jump shot when he has to, although that clearly is the weaker part of his game.

It was for McGrady and Bryant, too, once upon a time. But they got better at it, as did another superstar of some renown, Michael Jordan – to whom Wade gets compared.

"I think he's earned comparisons to Michael because of the visual aspects of his game," says coach Pat Riley. "I think Dwyane would be the first one to admit that he's not there. But it's very flattering. A lot of people see some glimpses of the past. But it's not fair to him."

Perhaps not. But Wade's not fair to opponents, either.

HEAD-TO-HEAD: PROBABLE MATCHUPS IN GAME 1

PG Jason Terry vs. Jason Williams

Nobody was happier to get done with Phoenix than Terry. He struggled with his shot for most of the series (5-of-20 from 3-point range), although he came alive in the second half of Game 6. Williams has settled down from his early days. Pat Riley is no-nonsense when it comes to mental miscues. Williams has made gains in that area. He had only six turnovers (to 22 assists) in six games vs. Detroit in the conference finals.

THE NUMBERS: 24/4 ... Disparity in points Williams scored in the two games against the Mavs. Clearly consistency remains elusive.

THE TALK: guards we've seen the last two series. But they get the job done."

–Devin Harris on Williams and his backup, Gary Payton.

EDGE: DALLAS

SG Adrian Griffin vs. Dwyane Wade

Griffin was unemployed the first time these teams met. But he was a starter in February when Wade scored just 16 points and whether it's tonight or not, Griffin once again figures to be a key figure in slowing Wade, who averaged 26.7 points in the Eastern Conference finals. If Wade keeps that up, he might soon be the best guard Shaquille O'Neal has ever played with.

THE NUMBERS: 61.7/49.5 ... Wade's field goal percentage from the regular season to the conference finals against Detroit. He's one of the NBA's best-shooting guards.

THE TALK: "He's one of the best young players in the league. He's absolutely a handful."

–Avery Johnson on Dwyane Wade.

EDGE: MIAMI

SF Josh Howard vs. Antoine Walker

The Western Conference finals were the first step across the threshold in Howard's coming-out party. This series could complete the cycle. After missing most of Game 1 against Phoenix, Howard averaged 22 points and 10 rebounds in the final five games. The Mavs went 4-1. Coincidence? Not likely. Walker remains the ultimate "volume shooter," which in real life means poor shooter. But when he's hot, he can destroy an opponent.

THE NUMBERS: 39.0/53.6 ... Walker's shooting percentage in the East finals vs. what the rest of the Heat shot.

THE TALK: "I think he's already had a breakout playoff run. He's definitely ready to make it to the next level."

–Jerry Stackhouse on Josh Howard.

PF Dirk Nowitzki vs. Udonis Haslem

There are three dead-solid superstars in this series, and Nowitzki is one of them. Haslem will never be confused with a star. But he's like Adrian Griffin times two. He does all the dirty work. He can score when you don't pay attention to him. And he can rebound with the best of them. And he's not a bad defender, either. But nobody's stopped Nowitzki yet. No reason to expect it to start now.

THE NUMBERS: 11.9/9.0 ... Nowitzki's rebounding average in the playoffs vs. the regular season. Dallas has not been outrebounded in any playoff game.

THE TALK: "We knew Dirk wasn't going to be able to shoot 3-pointers this year the way he did. That's why we wanted him to get more three-point plays in the paint."

–Avery Johnson on Nowitzki's expanding game.

C Erick Dampier vs. Shaquille O'Neal

The best centers in the league? O'Neal certainly qualifies. But how cruel would it be to the big fellow if Dampier, the guy O'Neal has dogged for years, is the one who helped the Mavericks stand between O'Neal and a fourth championship ring? Dampier is a strong rebounder. But he can't try to match O'Neal's scoring ability. The best asset the Mavericks have is 18 fouls at center, once DJ Mbenga returns from suspension for Game 5.

THE NUMBERS: 3.34/3.94 ... The minutes O'Neal/Dampier are on the court per rebound retrieved, considerably closer than many people might think.

THE TALK: "He's had a pretty good season, him and Diop. They've got a lot of big men. And I'm sure they'll throw 'em all at me."

–Shaquille O'Neal, ever the diplomat.

Mavericks bench

Jerry Stackhouse normally is the first guy Avery Johnson calls on, but in this series, we'll make an exception because everybody expects starter DeSagana Diop to pick up two fouls before pregame interviews are over and be on the bench. Erick Dampier will be swapping sweat with O'Neal early. Making O'Neal catch the ball at least 10 feet from the basket is the first priority.

THE REST

Jerry Stackhouse: Had 19 points, three steals in finale vs. Phoenix.

Keith Van Horn: His ability to spread the court is crucial.

Devin Harris: Has to be in the mix. Not sure what role it will be.

Marquis Daniels: He'll get his chance against Wade, just like everybody else.

OTHERS

Darrell Armstrong

DJ Mbenga

Josh Powell

Heat bench

James Posey figures to get the early call against Dirk Nowitzki if Haslem has problems. Posey is a good defender and had 11 rebounds in 24 minutes in the clincher against Detroit. He's also Miami's best 3-point shooter in the playoffs, meaning he will try to lure Nowitzki away from the basket on defense.

THE REST

Gary Payton:
Savvy vet will talk trash as he seeks first ring.

Alonzo Mourning: Blocked six shots in one meeting with Dallas this season.

Shandon Anderson: Pesky defender could get playing time in spot situations.

OTHERS

Derek Anderson

Michael Doleac

Wayne Simien

Coaches: Avery Johnson vs. Pat Riley

Are they really that different? The easy comparison with the coaches is to look at their age and experience and determine that they couldn't be more different. In truth, they are cut from the same coaching cloth. Riley was the inventor of the three-hour practice. He tolerates no silly business. He demands discipline. Johnson is on the cutting edge of another coaching philosophy - using hours and hours of film to dissect a player's strengths and weaknesses. This requires mental focus on a player's part as well as physical conditioning. Johnson's teams excel at both. The bottom line is that both coaches are sticklers for discipline and focus.

Style vs. substance

Both coaches believe in pushing the ball, but their first concern is stopping the other guy. This series won't be full of 86-83 games. There are too many good offensive players for that. Then again, Detroit shot 39.7 percent in the East finals and was held to 84.7 points per game. That was about nine points below Detroit's average the first two series. Phoenix averaged 101.2 points, about eight below what it averaged in the first two series. Hmmm. Maybe 86-83 games aren't out of the question.

Championship rings

HEAT

Shaquille O'Neal has three, all when he played for the LA Lakers under Phil Jackson; coach Pat Riley has five, all when he coached the Lakers in the '80s.

MAVERICKS

Coach Avery Johnson has one as a player, in 1999 with San Antonio.