Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-11-2002, 01:40 AM   #1
IsDirkEvenPlaying?

IsDirkEvenPlaying? has a little shameless behaviour in the past

Don Nelson is PATHETIC.

I don't understand his refusal to put Shawn Bradley in the game (for more than a lousy minute). Now I know Shawn is one of the biggest stiffs to be making his type of money, however, he could use his interior defensive presence. Shawn needs to be brought in for some stretches, especially when Divac is on the court. Let him play 20 minutes or so, use up his fouls, and stop the Kings from just strolling to the basket left and right. It's not like you need five offensive gunners on the court at the same time, afterall, there's only one ball.

Another thing, is Dirk going to do ANYTHING at all this series, or what? How many of the top five players in the league, would come up THIS SMALL in crucial games in such a big series? He better REALLY show up BIG the rest of this series. He has been real close to INVISIBLE MAN so far. Not what "superstars" usually do in big series.
Old 05-11-2002, 04:29 AM   #2
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

<< How many of the top five players in the league, would come up THIS SMALL in crucial games in such a big series? He better REALLY show up BIG the rest of this series. He has been real close to INVISIBLE MAN so far. Not what &quot;superstars&quot; usually do in big series. >>

Some other guys numbers for the conference semifinals. All through 3 games. I agree that Dirk has been bad. Just to put it in perspective.

Shaq: 23.5 pts on .448 shooting, 13.0 rb
Pierce: 19.3 pts on .390 shooting .071 3pt, 6.0 rb
Duncan: 27.0 pts on .373 shooting, 16.2 rb
Kidd: 15.0 pts on .409 shooting, 6.3 ast, 5.7 rb
Dirk: 21.3 pts on .398 shooting, 11.3 rb
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 04:33 AM   #3
Mavs4Fin

Mavs4Fin is on a distinguished road

1st, you are putting him in the top 5 when he is not quite there yet. I think that's putting to much pressure on Dirk being labeled as a top 5 player. Dirk has played bad offensively, and even worse defensively. I do not expect this to last much longer, Dirk will come alive in game 4.
Mavs4Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 07:56 AM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

Maybe we should finally get used to the feeling that Ugly Numbers are what Playoff basketball is all about?
Old 05-11-2002, 09:00 AM   #5
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Interesting numbers and good point, Fidel.

Comparing Dirk to the Top 5 players is legitimate (you could've also added numbers for Kobe, Duncan, Webber, Ben Wallace, Baron Davis, etc. just to flesh out the comparison, but your point is taken) and is NOT necessarily putting him IN the Top 5 (one might or might not).

<< Maybe we should finally get used to the feeling that Ugly Numbers are what Playoff basketball is all about? >>

For as long as I've been watching the NBA, playoff basketball has always been about better teams ratcheting up the defensive pressure and forcing teams (and usually star players) out of what they do best.

It felt like Dirk kept ascending all season. I kept expecting him to plateau but I don't think he ever really did, though the injury did throw him off stride toward the end. I think we're watching him struggle right now as he learns to compete at a higher level (the playoffs)--playing against the best teams, in a series, where teams can really gear up and zero in on taking the biggest threat out of what he does best.

As disappointed as I've been at Dirk's production, I try to keep in mind that this is one of the most interesting things to watch in pro sports--watching super-talented athletes struggle to learn to compete. Dirk will either elbow his way into the line of superstars who could produce at PLAYOFF crunch time (Jabbar, Bird, Magic, Jordan) or he'll level off as a productive player who could never quite get over the hump (Malone), or as a regular season numbers producer who never came close to being a winner in the playoffs (Dominique).

I guess I'm writing this for myself as much as for anyone else, but THIS is what I find the most compelling about being a pro sports spectator--watching elite athletes learn to COMPETE at the highest level.

Go, Dirk!
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 09:18 AM   #6
kg_veteran
Old School Balla

kg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond reputekg_veteran has a reputation beyond repute

<< I think we're watching him struggle right now as he learns to compete at a higher level (the playoffs)--playing against the best teams, in a series, where teams can really gear up and zero in on taking the biggest threat out of what he does best.

As disappointed as I've been at Dirk's production, I try to keep in mind that this is one of the most interesting things to watch in pro sports--watching super-talented athletes struggle to learn to compete. Dirk will either elbow his way into the line of superstars who could produce at PLAYOFF crunch time (Jabbar, Bird, Magic, Jordan) or he'll level off as a productive player who could never quite get over the hump (Malone), or as a regular season numbers producer who never came close to being a winner in the playoffs (Dominique).

I guess I'm writing this for myself as much as for anyone else, but THIS is what I find the most compelling about being a pro sports spectator--watching elite athletes learn to COMPETE at the highest level.

Go, Dirk!
>>

Great post. We are watching Dirk mature right now as a basketball player. He (and the Mavericks) will be better off for the struggles he is going through right now, whether it's this year or next.

Old 05-11-2002, 10:46 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

hhhmmm....
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 11:07 AM   #8
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Excactly what I think MavKiki.
With Dirk you also have to consider he´s only 23 years old and has been playing organized ball for only 8 years now. He just hasn´t been there that often. Guys like Divac or Stojakovic have been playing for Yogoslavia at the youth world champs at the age of 15. Dirk played soccer and handball back then. Most of the US players have at least some college experience. So in some ways Dirk is still a project which makes his achievements even more amazing.
Old 05-11-2002, 11:18 AM   #9
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

MavKiki &amp; Fidel - interesting point....and a good one too.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2002, 01:05 PM   #10
reeds
Golden Member

reeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these partsreeds is infamous around these parts

Fidel- why in the world would you put Kidd's numbers on that list? His first priority isnt scoring-correct me if im wrong. He never has been a major scoring threat- and his numbers for his career are 14.2ppg.
Old 05-11-2002, 01:59 PM   #11
Fidel
Diamond Member

Reeds,
as you can see Kidd is the only player where I did post the ast numbers, cause I agree that in his case they might be more important than scoring.
You can see the large dropoff compared to the regular season (6.3 to around 8.5 I think). Scoring was included too, because I posted the scoring numbers for every player.