Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 07-30-2006, 12:33 PM   #1
FishForLunch
Platinum Member

FishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of lightFishForLunch is a glorious beacon of light
Default See the big picture, dont be a Pacifist

Everytime you feel the US is using excessive force to fight terrorism watch this movie

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...78181614&hl=en
FishForLunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Pretty powerful stuff......long view but worth it.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 09:21 PM   #3
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishForLunch
Everytime you feel the US is using excessive force to fight terrorism watch this movie

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...78181614&hl=en
You seem to not UNDERSTAND the opposite view.
Disagree? fine.
But at least UNDERSTAND what the other side's position is. Everybody in the US wants to limit terrorism. Everybody.

One side thinks that the best way to slow down terrorism is to crush it at its source, with our vast military might. No matter what.

The "other" side also wants to limit terrorism, but to do so believes one big key is to not aid the formation of a new wave of terrorists, by giving bulletin board material.

As if it is that easy, and the whole country can be put into two buckets, described by two sentences... of course EVERYONE is somewhere between the two poles, SOME force is needed (I doubt many want Osama as a next door neighbor) and SOME restraint is called for (I think most would agree it would be difficult, and perhaps even counterproductive to just nuke 800 million people). the question is WHERE in the grey, in-between zone is most productive tho the goal that EVERYBODY SHARES, slow down this awful terrorism shit.

To pretend that the "other" side from you is pro-terrorism... is either willfully ignorant or purposely antagonistic, neither of which is particularly productive in a discussion
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

There is no doubt in my mind that radical islam has declared war on the west to try and take back what they feel are the god-given right of land that was once islamified. This is going to be a long, long battle, much like the fight against communism was. It's going to require a very,very long term view of it.

Unfortunately I'm afraid that we don't have the stuff required for it with all of the 60s folks still around. Since they also thought the USSR was eden as well.

We are just going to have to keep voting liberals out of office I think.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2006, 11:18 PM   #5
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

They want a new caliphate,
To get that I have to die or convert,

I don't plan on doing either.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 AM   #6
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

That pretty much sums it all up

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 06:23 AM   #7
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
Disagree? fine.
But at least UNDERSTAND what the other side's position is. Everybody in the US wants to limit terrorism. Everybody.
Personally, I'd like to stop it.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 08:46 AM   #8
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

this war has no similarities to the cold war.

this is a very hot war.

sluggo makes many excellent points, with a critical one being that the war will be won by our isolating the radicals within their own culture. if the muslims of the world say they won't tolerate the radicals, the radicals will not have the ability to meld into society and stay hidden. if we lose the non-radical muslims and they allow the terrorists to operate, we will likely not have success.

so far we have made progress, but it is still along ways off.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:21 AM   #9
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1394
There is no doubt in my mind that radical islam has declared war on the west to try and take back what they feel are the god-given right of land that was once islamified. This is going to be a long, long battle, much like the fight against communism was. It's going to require a very,very long term view of it.

Unfortunately I'm afraid that we don't have the stuff required for it with all of the 60s folks still around. Since they also thought the USSR was eden as well.

One key word here is RADICAL.

Second, what proportion of the US do you think thought the USSR was eden in the 60s? 1%? surely way too high. Please don't build "strawman" opponents to knock down
Old 07-31-2006, 09:25 AM   #10
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
. . .To pretend that the "other" side from you is pro-terrorism... is either willfully ignorant or purposely antagonistic, neither of which is particularly productive in a discussion
I don't get it. I haven't watched the vid yet (youtube says it's more than an hour long). But who says that the "other" side is pro-terrorism?
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 10:05 AM   #11
mcsluggo
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by capitalcity
They want a new caliphate,
To get that I have to die or convert,

I don't plan on doing either.
Oh come on.

Yes there are people screaming in the streets for that, but it is equivelent to an ant screaming at an elephant. If you are seriously afraid that the military and economic might of the radical Islam sects are going to stand up and out-brawl the west in a toe-to-toe fight, then for a small fee I can help you out: I've got some great tin-foil hats and super-secret underwater-breathing paste to sell, so that you'll be safe when the Caliphate AND the aliens come.

THe issue isn't us being swamped by a superior force, it is how much pain is an INSIGNIFICANT force going to inflict in its futile screams of range, and how to stop those futile screams. If it WAS two big titans lined up against each other... then yes full military force would certainly be called for, we don't want to be overwhelmed.

As it is, however, what we want to do is limit both the number and the resources of people that are so enranged that they are willing to die just to commit HARM to the other side without any hope of actually DEFEATING it. The radical lot is a dead-end street, and EVERYBODY knows it (on BOTH sides). However, as 9-11 illustrated all two clearly, even futile, pointless rage can cause real pain.

So the objective is to limit the number op people radicalized enough to not care if they personally lose everything, and to limit the resources these radicalized elements have at their disposal (and so limit the dmage each individual radical can inflict)

then we get back to the sides...

On one extreme side we have the belief that if we know that in some area the soil is fertile for radicalization, and there are some radicals already in harvest, we should hit hard and destroy the crop.

the problem with this view is that there are also individuals that are not radicals (yet) in those places, AND in other places and we KNOW that hitting hard INCREASES the fertility of radicalism. Not just there, but everywhere.

the other extreme side wants to "win with hugs". If we can just shower them with love they'll come around and we can all get together and sing "kumbya-my-lord".

The problem with THIS view is that there ALREADY are radicals, and THEY won't be won over. Period. If you put up your arms and run over to hug 'em, they'll kick you in the nuts.

Neither strategy works by itself. The huggers won't live to see the fruits of their love, and the stompers just keep on dumping gas on the fire. The only long-run winning strategy is to decrease the number of radicals (ie decrease the hate) which the Bush admin recognized from the start... this is why democracy in the region was such a key component of their plan: the understanding that two TRUE democracies never can sustain a war with each other (the problem with TRUE democracy, rather than just elections is of course the issue here)
Old 07-31-2006, 10:06 AM   #12
mcsluggo
Golden Member

But in the end when you dismissively sneer "soft on terrorism" what is it you are decrying? and what alternative do you suggest? Does anyone really believe that radical islam can be met on the battle field, and defeated there...if we just have the will and are willing to accept the short-term costs?
Old 07-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #13
mcsluggo
Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I don't get it. I haven't watched the vid yet (youtube says it's more than an hour long). But who says that the "other" side is pro-terrorism?
good point.

How about "appeasing terrorists"
Old 07-31-2006, 10:50 AM   #14
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There is no doubt in my mind that radical islam has declared war on the west to try and take back what they feel are the god-given right of land that was once islamified. .

Excellent use of "islamified"
Old 07-31-2006, 12:22 PM   #15
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
So the objective is to limit the number op people radicalized enough to not care if they personally lose everything, and to limit the resources these radicalized elements have at their disposal (and so limit the dmage each individual radical can inflict)
Yeah, I've heard the "we're making enemies faster than we can kill them" argument before.

It don't make a shit to me.

If the question isn't "who is gonna win", but "when are we gonna win" and "at what cost are we gonna win" then why even try to win their hearts and minds. Just erradicate them 2 generations at a time. Leave the elderly and the crippled to tell stories of a vengeful superpower and it's unconquerable spirit.

When we're done, we're done. We don't need diplomacy until we run outta bullets.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:51 PM   #16
mcsluggo
Golden Member

thats a LOT 'o bullets (1.5 billion, give or take-- assuming you hit on the first shot every time)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Major_religious_groups

(btw-- as a complete aside-- I had no idea there were only 14 million Jews in the entire world. If I been asked to guess, I would've thought there were more than 14 million Jews in the US alone.)
Old 07-31-2006, 01:49 PM   #17
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

we can't kill all of them. so what's after the militray action? anyone know what that plan entails? I know bush's plan in iraq is victory and platitudes but what next?
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 02:19 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
(btw-- as a complete aside-- I had no idea there were only 14 million Jews in the entire world. If I been asked to guess, I would've thought there were more than 14 million Jews in the US alone.)
And if Mel Gibson had his way there would apparently be less.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 11:01 PM   #19
Evilmav2
Diamond Member

Evilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond reputeEvilmav2 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
That sure as heck sounds like a good idea to me...