Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-17-2006, 01:35 PM   #41
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Jack, you should read DLord's post (#11) again. There's still only a 25% chance Barea will make the regular-season roster.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2006, 02:12 PM   #42
Bookit
Diamond Member

Bookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud ofBookit has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktruth
the mavs are going to set a new trend and top it off with a statement by trading the 6-3 Devin Harris. And just when I thought this off-season couldn't get any better.
You want to put any money on this?
Bookit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:24 PM   #43
jacktruth
Golden Member

jacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud ofjacktruth has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookit
You want to put any money on this?
Apparently, I wasn't sarcastic enough.
jacktruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 03:26 PM   #44
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

This JJB? Who wants him?

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 PM   #45
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

If we sign another pg...he will not effect the team that much as a 15th player but i think any1 that can make it is good enough to get the mins that DA got last season and be a 3rd pg. Point is that if we sign anothe pg...we'r prolly lookin to trade 1 of the 3 we got. It def. wont be Terry, maybe Johnson ( but i dont think so), and the only one that makes sense then and that we can get somethin good for because hes on a hi commin of a cup of good games in the playoff is Harris.

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
AxdemxO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 05:19 PM   #46
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

EDIT: lol I should probably read all the posts before replying

Last edited by StackAttack; 08-17-2006 at 05:28 PM.
StackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 06:36 PM   #47
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Mavs sign former first-round pick Ebi

August 17, 2006

DALLAS (Ticker) - Ndubi Ebi was a bust with the Minnesota Timberwolves. He hopes to take advantage of a second chance.

The Dallas Mavericks on Thursday signed Ebi, a first-round pick of the Timberwolves in 2003.

Terms of the deal were not disclosed.

The 6-9 Ebi played in just 19 games in two seasons with Minnesota before being waived last October. He had career averages of 2.1 points and 1.0 rebound in 4.5 minutes.

Ebi played with the Fort Worth Flyers of the D-League last season and averaged 11.4 points, 6.9 rebounds and 2.3 blocks in 16 games.

The Mavericks on Thursday also signed guards Darius Washington and Jose Barea and forward Pat Carroll.

Washington applied for the NBA draft after his sophomore season at Memphis, but was not selected. He played for the Mavericks' summer league team and averaged 10.4 points and 2.4 assists.

Barea also went undrafted in June after playing four years at Northeastern. He ranked 18th in the nation in scoring (21.0) and second in assists (8.3) last season. Barea averaged 12.0 points and 6.7 assists for the Mavs' summer league team.

Carroll played for the Houston Rockets' summer league team and averaged 16.4 points.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 08:24 PM   #48
G-Man
Platinum Member

G-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond reputeG-Man has a reputation beyond repute

AxdemxO, your serious dislike for Devin clouds your judgement. Yes he has been inconsistant. Did you pay any attention to his 1st 2 years in the NBA? To the way he got jerked around by Nellie who started him, then by AJ who yanked him every time he made a mistake in his 1st year? to the fact that he missed the entire 2nd half of the season? Given all that, for him to torch San Antonio in his 3rd game coming off that injury, and force them to change their lineup and eventually their team is pretty significant. Greg Popovich seems to think he is so good, his Spurs can't compete with the Mavs without trading 2 pretty good centers. Yet you think he is a complete bust.

Clearly, he need to be more consistant, but his potential is so huge, I think it would be a foolish gamble to trade him unless its for a player who is an established star.

On the other hand I agree with you about Quis. But much the same thing happened to him. Too many injuries, too many missed games. The only difference between him and Harris is he didnt have the 20 point games against the Spurs,or the 30 pointer against the Suns. That's a pretty huge difference.
He did save game 6 against PHX when the other point guards sat out the 1st 1/2 with fouls, tho.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 PM   #49
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

AxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to beholdAxdemxO is a splendid one to behold

Aite..we'll just wait and c what happens

"It feels disrespectful when you watch these shows, TNT, ESPN, and they're talking, 'Walk through the Mavericks, that's who you want to play," Terry said. "OK. We'll see if that's who you want to play."

........GO MAVS
Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 PM   #50
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxdemxO
Aite..we'll just wait and c what happens
When Devin becomes an All-Star, (I'm not saying he will next year, but soon he will be) you'll see.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 08-17-2006, 11:24 PM   #51
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
When Devin becomes an All-Star, (I'm not saying he will next year, but soon he will be) you'll see.
Come on put some skin in the game. When will he be an all-star?
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 12:33 AM   #52
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Dallas signed Four New FA's?

List of my "For sures."
-Devin will not be traded anytime soon. And he might start.
-Terry isnt going to be 6th man or 7th or 8th.
-We will have a great season 06-07
-I agree with this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kriD
Harris / Johnson / Barea
Terry / Buckner / Ager
Howard / Stackhouse / George
Dirk / Croshere / Mensah-Bonsu
Diop / Dampier / M'Benga
-Some people tend to get carried away by their excitement and in the process blab out completely idiotic predictions.
-Dwade will completely suck at bball one day and fade out of stardom just like how Shawn Kemp did.

Now which if these do you agree with?

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky

Last edited by mqywaaah; 08-18-2006 at 01:29 AM.
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 01:55 AM   #53
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
Dallas signed Four New FA's?

List of my "For sures."
-Devin will not be traded anytime soon. And he might start.
-Terry isnt going to be 6th man or 7th or 8th.
-We will have a great season 06-07
-I agree with this:

-Some people tend to get carried away by their excitement and in the process blab out completely idiotic predictions.
-Dwade will completely suck at bball one day and fade out of stardom just like how Shawn Kemp did.

Now which if these do you agree with?
Yeah, they signed 4 new FA's, and the one they choose will be the 15th man, the rest will be cut. I agree with all your statements except for the Wade one. Though I'd like it to be true, I doubt it'll happen.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:31 AM   #54
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

responsible=boring

but give me responsible moves like this any day. We secure a few small "puzzle" pieces, and then after securing the main part of our roster, we jumped to secure our training camp fodder and got a couple of promising kids to boot. I am so ready for training camp its not even funny.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 03:52 AM   #55
zico

zico is on a distinguished road

I bet with you that Barrea will be a better point guard than Harris.
I don't understand all the fuss about Harris.
He's very quick and has an ok defense but that's about all.
He takes too often wrong decisions, driving when there is no space and thus making a turnover. He has not good court vision. How often does he drive and isolate himself from the teammates and lost the ball because he's surrounded by other players.
He will never be an all star, mark my words. Look at Chris Paul, he didn't need 100 matches to know what to do on a court.
Harris is only good when on transition, on placed offense, he's very poor. He would look foolish in international basketball.
Give me the two guards of the Spanish national team, that's what I call two excellent guards.
zico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:53 AM   #56
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

I haven't watched JJB play, but Harris........ I'm not sold on that kid. I'd like to see what JJB can do.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:51 PM   #57
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all
Default re Barea

Quote:
Originally Posted by zico
I bet with you that Barrea will be a better point guard than Harris..
I would so quickly take that bet it's not even funny. JJB is amazingly overrated by Mavs fans who really havent seen him play and dont have a clue about how flawed he is as a player. Dumb dumb dumb.

He is small. He has to keep the ball in his hands to be effective and dribbles forever. he looks for his shot first and teammates second. He is not very quick, which is a huge physical disadvantage because he has to give up so much size.

He played at mid-major level and did well, but that's all he is - an undersized mid-major point guard. All these predictions of stardom (or even a future job as a starter) for him at the NBA level show a lack of understanding of the NBA game.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:02 PM   #58
AxdemxO
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
I would so quickly take that bet it's not even funny. JJB is amazingly overrated by Mavs fans who really havent seen him play and dont have a clue about how flawed he is as a player. Dumb dumb dumb.

He is small. He has to keep the ball in his hands to be effective and dribbles forever. he looks for his shot first and teammates second. He is not very quick, which is a huge physical disadvantage because he has to give up so much size.

He played at mid-major level and did well, but that's all he is - an undersized mid-major point guard. All these predictions of stardom (or even a future job as a starter) for him at the NBA level show a lack of understanding of the NBA game.
See i would agree with U that he is probably overrated and all. BUt pleasee dont say that Harris is'nt just as overrated by Mavs fans. But i think the JJB could be good enough to play 3rd pg.

........GO MAVS

Last edited by AxdemxO; 08-18-2006 at 06:03 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 06:14 PM   #59
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I don't understand why we are even looking at these projects in the first place. We have plenty of youth to groom and our window of opportunity is now.

It would have been nice to have signed Arvydas Macijauskas, the 6'4" 26 yr old Lithuanian player deemed "the best shooter in Europe" to this last roster spot. The guy can shoot lights out when in the right system (not New Orleans' obviously) and seeing how the playoffs now permit teams to carry the full 15-man roster all the way through the tournament, he would have been a huge advantage against teams like Miami. Plus he is just a tough-nosed player to begin with.

New Orleans ended up buying him out after a disappointing first-year in the NBA, and so he's back in Europe now, but we could have easily acquired him to fill this last spot.

Arvydas Macijauskas:

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 07:54 PM   #60
Pirate

Pirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to allPirate is a name known to all

Axdem ... The problem with JJB is that he plays like Iverson, except he is smaller, and he isnt quick like Iverson. He's the guy that dominates the rec league, but I dont think he has the athletic potential (quickness, size) to make any impact in the NBA.

Harris? Maybe. He has the quickness, and he has decent size for a PG. He shows flashes. I agree Harris isnt there yet, but he has already had games on the highest stage (wc semis, wc finals, nba finals of playoff basketball) where he has been a major factor. Thats a huge indicator that he might get there. To put Barea anywhere near that level is silly.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:59 PM   #61
Pirate

Dirkenstein ...I agree that Macijauskas is likely better right now than any of these guys, but I would guess the Mavs dont feel like he would be better than anyone who is 1-13. The 14th man might as well be someone for the future.

Anyhow, who thinks Macijauskas would be at all interested? When he is offered the chance to be 14th man for the minimum and rarely play - as opposed to going to Europe where he can be a star where he will play all the time and get paid much more - he's gonna take the deal any of us would: to be the star. (I doubt he will ever want to return to the NBA.)
Old 08-18-2006, 08:03 PM   #62
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Macijauskas? Give me a break. We all want to be talent scouts, and we all drooled over the idea of the best shooter in Europe coming to Dallas, and we all saw the glory of Antoine Rigadeau.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:24 PM   #63
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Any word on which of the four we'll keep?

Old 08-18-2006, 08:29 PM   #64
Pirate

Default which one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Any word on which of the four we'll keep?
Yes.

It will definitely be ....

...The One Who Plays Best (or shows the most potential) in Training Camp.
Old 08-18-2006, 10:28 PM   #65
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate
Yes.

It will definitely be ....

...The One Who Plays Best (or shows the most potential) in Training Camp.
Well I knew that

Old 08-19-2006, 12:23 AM   #66
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

it'll be JJB.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:50 AM   #67
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Ndubi Ebi... Pat Caroll...

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:00 AM   #68
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
it'll be JJB.
Hopefully.

Old 08-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #69
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricaLubarsky
Macijauskas? Give me a break. We all want to be talent scouts, and we all drooled over the idea of the best shooter in Europe coming to Dallas, and we all saw the glory of Antoine Rigadeau.
Say what you will, but I believe he could have thrived in the right system. Not as a star ofcourse, but as a solid role player. Nonetheless, I'd much rather take him over some unproven undersized kid with no outside shot.

Just my opinion, though.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote