Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 08-26-2006, 07:42 PM   #1
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of
Default Stack Receives Key To Hometown City; #42 Retired

Jerry Stackhouse honored by Kinston
August 26,2006
MICHAEL ABERNETHY View stories by reporter
STAFF WRITER

Jerry Stackhouse, three –time NBA All-Star and Dallas Mavericks guard, returned Friday to his hometown of Kinston to receive a key to the city and have his No. 42 jersey retired from the Kinston High School boys’ basketball team.

“I truly appreciate this gesture and moment. It’s an honor I will cherish the rest of my life,” Stackhouse said at the ceremony, held in Kinston High School’s Performing Arts Center. “No matter where I go and what I do, Kinston is always going to be home to me.”

Stackhouse was recognized Friday morning for unsung contributions to students, programs and organizations here. Former coaches, members of the Kinston City Council, Lenoir County Commissioners, state senate and county board of education were present to thank Stackhouse.

“The things that made him great were his desire, determination and responsibility,” said Paul Jones, Stackhouse’s former Kinston High School coach. “I think he still has that in his heart; that he will not forget his friends and the people he grew up with.”

His parents, George and the Rev. Minnie Stackhouse, also received much of the attention at the ceremony. Jerry is one of 11 children they had together.

On Sunday, Stackhouse will dedicate the refurbished House of Hope F.W.B. Church to his mother and the congregation.

“The way he honors his parents probably says more about who he is than all the athletic awards he’s received,” said Kinston High School Principal Craig Hill. “He’s someone we can point to to say to students, ‘Here’s an example of someone who did it the right way,’ and that will last for decades.”

Hill and Kinston’s head basketball coach Wells Gulledge retired Stackhouse’s No. 42 jersey from the team; the first in the school’s history.

“I’m at a loss for words,” Minnie Stackhouse said after the ceremony. “I’m so thankful and grateful for what the city has done for him. I’m just so happy to see him recognized for what he does for other people.”

Michael Abernethy can be reached at (252) 527-3191, Ext. 232, or at mabernethy@freedomenc.com.

A Closer Look:

Some of Jerry Stackhouse’s professional accomplishments:

N Appeared in 13 NBA playoff games for Dallas in 2004-05 season, averaging 16.1 ppg

N Ranked 14th in NBA in scoring average (21.4) in 2001-02

N Ranked first in NBA in total points (2,380) and second in per game average (29.8) in 2000-01

N 2001 All-Star selection

N Ranked 8th in the NBA in points per game (23.6) and 14th in minutes per game (38.4) in 1999-2000

N Scored 11 points in the 2000 NBA All-Star Game

N Finished fifth in the NBA.com Slam Dunk competition during the 2000 All-Star Weekend

N Ranked 15th in the NBA in free-throw percentage (.850) in 1999

N Led all NBA guards in 1996-97 with 63 blocked shots and led the 76ers in minutes played (3,186)

N Named to the 1995-96 NBA All-Rookie Team after establishing 76ers franchise rookie records with 1,384 points and 2,654 minutes played

N Named First Team All-America by the Associated Press and Player of the Year by Sports Illustrated as a sophomore at University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
Old 08-26-2006, 07:48 PM   #2
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Pretty cool. I've never heard of Kinston though.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 12:38 AM   #3
Nash13
Diamond Member

Nash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud ofNash13 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Pretty cool. I've never heard of Kinston though.

It's a small town in North Carolina. Also the home of Jamie Pressley. I know a few people from there.

Good for Stack. He does a lot for his community.
The wind rises electric. She's soft and warm and almost weightless. Her perfume is sweet promise that brings tears to my eyes. I tell her that everything will be all right; that I'll save her from whatever she's scared and take her far far away. I tell her that I love her. The silencer makes a whisper of the gunshot. I hold her close until she's gone. I'll never know what she was running from. I'll cash her check in the morning.

~The Salesman
Nash13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 01:06 AM   #4
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Jamie Pressley is so effn hot!

Way to go Jerry!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:46 AM   #5
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

why does he bend his knees so low
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:18 AM   #6
raefformvp
Golden Member

raefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant futureraefformvp has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
because he can?

my boy cheering on the Mavs with his Mavs maraca and wearing his Jason Terry headband.
raefformvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:22 AM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

makes sense to me
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 01:37 AM   #8
snoop

snoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the roughsnoop is a jewel in the rough

any chance atck could get pressley? That had to be the hottest girl in his town, he should try. oh yea, good about the whole city key thing
Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

lol, no way he could, and isn't he married?

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 09-06-2006, 02:09 AM   #10
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
I think it's just a matter of comfort and getting more elevation/arc on his FT's.

Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #11
CarolinaJHoFan

CarolinaJHoFan will become famous soon enoughCarolinaJHoFan will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
lol, no way he could, and isn't he married?
he is married and his wife is hotter than pressley
CarolinaJHoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 12:48 AM   #12
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

lol, really? That's crazy. Pic please, I won't believe it til I see it.

Last edited by nashtymavsfan13; 09-07-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:45 AM   #13
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaJHoFan
he is married and his wife is hotter than pressley
She looks like a rabbit.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 01:48 AM   #14
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
She looks like a rabbit.
You think everyone looks like a rabbit

Old 09-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #15
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

I want a 50-foot tree.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote