Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 05-12-2002, 11:26 AM   #1
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

Next year's starters
Nowitzki
Finley
Nash
LaFrentz
???

Next's year's reserves
??? - this year's off-season pickup
Van Exel
Najera
Wang
Griffin
Bradley
Eschmeyer
Abdul-Wahad
Johnson
Askrabic

Manning will be gone - either trade bait or outright cut. I can't imagine Newman coming back. And Buckner will probably leave in free agency. I see either Bradley and/or Eschmeyer being traded. The other will be the 11th man. Askrabic will be on the inactive roster.
MFFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2002, 11:29 AM   #2
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< Askrabic >>

Who is he and what can he do for us?

I hope he's the 2nd reincarnation of Andrei kirilenko....
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:40 AM   #3
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

<< [i]Next year's starters
Nowitzki
Finley
Nash
LaFrentz
???

Next's year's reserves
??? - this year's off-season pickup
Van Exel - Gone
Najera - Here
Wang - Here (some significan minutes)
Griffin - Retired
Bradley - Traded if possible
Eschmeyer - Traded if possible
Abdul-Wahad - Here with a very good look
Johnson - Here
Askrabic - don't know..

Manning, Newman, Van Excel, Griffin, Bradley, Esch are on the blocks.

"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:46 AM   #4
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

forget about Ascrabic ... no chance we can get him with our pick, far too low (if we even have one - do we have our 2nd rounder?)
Old 05-12-2002, 11:53 AM   #5
MFFL
Guru

MFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond reputeMFFL has a reputation beyond repute

<< forget about Ascrabic ... no chance we can get him with our pick, far too low (if we even have one - do we have our 2nd rounder?) >>

He's a free agent - and he wants to sign with the Mavs
Old 05-12-2002, 11:56 AM   #6
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

<< He's a free agent - and he wants to sign with the Mavs >>

Well can someone inform me about this kid. If he wants to sign with us, let's sign albiet if he's a halway good defender... Can he be a kirilenko type? Kirilenko is going to be all defensive in a couple of years.

Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 11:58 AM   #7
MFFL
Guru

I bumped the &quot;Future Mav Askrabic and Others&quot; thread. He sounds just like a Nellie player, which is both good and bad.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:15 PM   #8
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

you sure about him beeing a FA? isnt he too young to be a FA?
Old 05-12-2002, 12:24 PM   #9
MFFL
Guru

He declared for the draft last year and nobody selected him. Therefore he is a free agent.
Old 05-12-2002, 12:49 PM   #10
grbh
Platinum Member

grbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to allgrbh is a name known to all

Here are a couple of players I would love to see the Mavs make a run at in the off season.

Ron Artest: 1 year left on contract. Great defensive player can play the 3. Not a good shooter but so what. He may lead the league in steals a few times over the next 10 years. Downside a little nutty.
Who to give up: Griffin, Wang, Najera (sign and trade), draft picks

Long shot cause I don't think the Pacers want to part with him, but perhaps he is a bit to odd for their liking.

Bowen: Free agent. Pretty good defender. Also can play the 3.
Do we still have half of the exception left for the offseason. If so a run at him might be worth the Mavs time.

It is doubtful, but I would love the lineup of
PG: Nash/NVE
SG: Finley
SF: Artest
PF: Dirk
C: Raef/Bradley/EE/Wang/Dirk/Buckner/Manning

http://www.genevaschools.org/austinb...gray/platypus/
grbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 01:54 PM   #11
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

SJ- MFFL is absolutely correct. He is a FA.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 03:45 PM   #12
Mavs4Fin

Mavs4Fin is on a distinguished road

do anyone believe wang will be back? i dont think he will.

i think najera is a must imo.
Mavs4Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 05:52 PM   #13
Drbio
Banned

I think so. I dont think the Chinese want him to go anywhere else.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:11 PM   #14
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

yup ... looked up the Article ... quite strange, that a young european of some talent gets undrafted though he declared ...

looks like we might have a shot then - though it might be not too cheap to lure him overseas
Old 05-12-2002, 06:12 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

Most foreign players would make much more money here even playing for the minimum than by playing in Europe. European salaries are starting to get way up there though. Not all of course...just most.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:13 PM   #16
MFFL
Guru

But he has a contract that might be hard to get out of. And the copy-cat teams in the NBA are just starting to draft foreign players.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:16 PM   #17
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

actually, living in europe i have to deny you on that one [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

european salaries are not that bad as you may think ..´. take a look at that Pau Gasol and Raul Lopez buyout things ...

actually, you earn pretty well in Italy, Spain or Greece, and even on some German teams ...

if you go up to $600 k - 1200 k or more you might get him though ... or no ... WE ... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
Old 05-12-2002, 06:17 PM   #18
Drbio
Banned

What's his contract status? I thought he was free and clear. I know being a free agent here doesn't mean being a free agent worldwide, but I thought he was free. If not, that is probably why he didn't get drafted last season.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:39 PM   #19
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

LaF has one more year on his contract, right? Cuban was quoted recently as saying that his playoff performance would have nothing to do with the amount for which he was re-signed--but why the hell not? Why max a soft player whose skills appear to've plateaued for the most part. He can improve marginally with experience, but his game looks pretty limited. He's not going to be a difference maker. Not for the Mavs.

I'll give LaF his due--he had a nice Game 3. Beyond that, there is not much to justify keeping him. The trade with Denver accomplished nothing in terms of on-court improvement, and LaF doesn't show anything that suggests he's going to develop as a strong inside presence. And make no mistake about it, the Mavericks absolutely have to have an inside presence to compete successfully in the playoffs.

If the word's not completely out around the league about LaF, maybe he still holds trade value. I'd like to see fellow posters' opinions of what the Mavs' strategy for resigning and dealing LaF might be, and what he might bring in for a trade.

LaF isn't the only tradeable on the Mavs, but I think he's the biggest individual commodity. Let's address other possibilities in subsequent posts, but start with LaF.
MavKikiNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:43 PM   #20
Drbio
Banned

I think the Mavs will resign Raef and rightly so. he does have trade value, but he fills on a niche on Nellie's team and he ideal for that role. I think NVE is more likely to be traded at this point. I think that Raef will be with the Mavs for a couple years anyway.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:49 PM   #21
MFFL
Guru

Raef is a free agent this year - totally free. He might be a hot commodity since he gets similiar stats to Dale Davis and he's only 25. Raef might become a dominant center.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:51 PM   #22
Drbio
Banned

I don't so....I think Raef is a restricted free agent. They talked about it right after the trade. The Mavs have matching rights on any contract he signs.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:51 PM   #23
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to beholdMavKikiNYC is a splendid one to behold

Yes, of course, NVE goes. Gotta try to remove the tempation for Nellie to go the small/no defense route. But that was going to be a subequent discussion.

So, Doc, you think they max Raef? What will that run them?

I can see keeping him if he doesn't destroy them cap-wise. But his role should be as a sixth-man type, maybe a poor man's McHale to Dirk's Bird-lite. I just don't see LaF developing anything like enough inside power to effectively complement Dirk's 4 game. LaF might be able to spell Dirk at the 4 and take a rotation at the 5, but over the course of a season, he's eventually going to come up short in terms of inside production. 10/7, 12/8 or whatever isn't nearly enough to push the Mavs over the hump.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:55 PM   #24
Mavs4Fin

Mavs4Fin is on a distinguished road

Raef will not get maxed out, he is not that. IMO, he isn't really that good of a player. i say go after a real center, a tough guy who wont get pushed around. a guy who already has a rep in the league of bringing it every night, i think raef is to soft and inconsistent for the mavs. we could fo better thats for sure.
Mavs4Fin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2002, 06:55 PM   #25
MFFL
Guru

<< I don't so....I think Raef is a restricted free agent. They talked about it right after the trade. The Mavs have matching rights on any contract he signs. >>

Raef's been in the league 4 years. The big press flap on him was the fact that Denver did NOT offer him an extension in the off-season thus allowing him to be a free agent THIS offseason.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:56 PM   #26
MFFL
Guru

<< Raef will not get maxed out, he is not that. IMO, he isn't really that good of a player. i say go after a real center, a tough guy who wont get pushed around. a guy who already has a rep in the league of bringing it every night, i think raef is to soft and inconsistent for the mavs. we could fo better thats for sure. >>

Raef is Nellie's dream center (other than Shaq). As long as Nellie is the coach then a banger-type center will not fit on this team.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:58 PM   #27
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

MFFL,

LaF's NUMBERS might be similar to Davis's, but his game is nothing like DD's. DD is power and toughness inside, defense and rebounding.

LaF's prowess as a shot blocker is one of the most misleading things I've ever seen. He DOES block some shots, but for most of the year, it looks as if he's gone for everything, and usually ends up in foul trouble. Plus, he doesn't seem to intimidate anyone at all. It's almost an empty stat, and in fact, his tendency to go for every shot and his resulting foul trouble may make him a less productive player.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:58 PM   #28
Drbio
Banned

I have a little more faith right now in Raef's development. I'm not sure on the max issue, but I bet he gets close. Like it or not he is a 7 footer with a nice outside shot, blocking ability and he runs the court well. I love that he stepped in and was hitting the 15-18 footers lately. That alone will get him big dollars in this league. Even if we keep him I think we need a Pollard type to get over the hump.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:59 PM   #29
Drbio
Banned

MFFL - I swear they said that on tv after the trade. I have no knowledge of it myself. Does anyone know of a site with contract statuses?
Old 05-12-2002, 07:00 PM   #30
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

<< Raef is Nellie's dream center (other than Shaq). As long as Nellie is the coach then a banger-type center will not fit on this team. >>

You're probably right about Nellie having a special affinity for LaF-type players, but I hope Nellie doesn't pull a Tom Landry (may he rest in peace) and stubbornly stick to a style of play and personnel that proves time and again NOT to work.
Old 05-12-2002, 07:01 PM   #31
MavKikiNYC
Diamond Member

RealGM says that Buckner, Wang and N&aacute;jera have 0 years left, while LaF has one year left. Is that right?
Old 05-12-2002, 07:24 PM   #32
Drbio
Banned

I thought so, but I don't know for sure.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:28 PM   #33
MFFL
Guru

My bad - Raef is a restricted free agent

LINK

Wednesday, October 31
Frustrated LaFrentz plans to test free agency
ESPN.com news services

Denver Nuggets center Raef LaFrentz, frustrated that an extension was not worked out before the season started, said he plans to test the free-agent market next summer.

LaFrentz said set a Tuesday deadline for reaching an agreement with the Nuggets, but that passed without a deal.

&quot;It's their problem. I'm going to be fine,&quot; LaFrentz told The Denver Post. &quot;But it's not like I needed this deal or bust. Like I am on my way out the league. It bugs me because I made every effort I could make from my side. I walked away from it saying, &quot;I tried.' So it is in the books.&quot;

LaFrentz, who will be a restricted free agent after the season, averaged 12.9 points and 7.8 rebounds last season.

Nuggets general manager Kiki Vandeweghe said he's disappointed that a deal hasn't been worked out, but said the Nuggets want to keep LaFrentz.

&quot;I was disappointed, too, but it's understandable in today's environment,&quot; Vandeweghe told the newspaper. &quot;Everybody is a bit cautious. We really want Raef with us. I made sure his agent understood that and I made sure Raef understood that. We were a little ways away (on terms of a contract).&quot;

As a restricted free agent, LaFrentz is free to sign an offer sheet from another team. The Nuggets would then have 15 days to match any offer.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:33 PM   #34
Drbio
Banned

I knew I heard that...phew. Thanks MFFL for clearing that up.
Old 05-13-2002, 07:55 AM   #35
Dooby
Diamond Member

Dooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really niceDooby is just really nice

File this name away for a possible return to Big D: Popeye.
At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

A fool's paradise is a wise man's hell. – Thomas Fuller
Dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2002, 04:51 PM   #36
Drbio
Banned

Popeye Jones will not be a Mav again. I think he is locked up at least another year anyway.