Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 11-18-2006, 01:19 AM   #1
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future
Default Sports Agents

Hey guys, I'm currently taking a buisness class and we've been discussing careers and stuff and so I've been thinking a lot about it. Being a sports agent has really interested me for awhile. I'm under the impression that it heavily involves sports and law including contractural law and negotiating contracts and handling public relations. Does anyone know if this is correct? I just wanted to see if you guys had any info about this job, anything at all. And do any of you know of things that would be good for preparing/first starting out?

I know it's kind of random, and probably a topic not many people know a ton about, but I figured I wouldn't underestimate the brains of D-M.com and decided to see what you guys had to offer. Thanks in advance

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2006, 01:36 AM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Most of the good ones...the guys that make big bucks are lawyers by trade. Not all though but there are complex contractual language issues, financial issues etc that must be combed over with a fine toothed comb.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 01:41 AM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
Most of the good ones...the guys that make big bucks are lawyers by trade. Not all though but there are complex contractual language issues, financial issues etc that must be combed over with a fine toothed comb.
Yeah, law and being a lawyer is also something I'm very interested in. It's just that sports are the thing I love the most, so I'd love to do something with law and sports. A sports agent seems the most practical, plus you get to interact with the players and negotiate contracts. Negotiation/debating is also an element I like.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
Old 11-21-2006, 07:21 PM   #4
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Anyone?

Old 11-22-2006, 05:23 PM   #5
Smiles
Diamond Member

Smiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud ofSmiles has much to be proud of

I'm not sure that there is much that I can offer on this subject. Doc is right that most of the successful agents have attended law school. It's an incredibly competitive field, but you could get your foot in the door in various ways.

You could work for a team (or teams) directly, or for another business owned by the primary owner(s) of those teams. Does that make sense? Let me try to give an example: Tom Hicks owns Hicks Holdings, LLC. (formerly Southwest Sports Group), which includes the Rangers, The Stars, Mesquite Rodeo, etc. He has a few attorneys which cover various aspects of his businesses. One attorney spends 2 days a week at the Stars front office.

This particular attorney is involved in the player contract negotiations on the Stars behalf, so she works across the table from some of the players' agents. This is great experience for her, should she ever wish to become an agent. I really don't know that there is any one conventional way to become a sports agent, and when I have looked at law schools, I never noticed one that specified specialties in that area. You might want to PM Evilmav or kg_veteran in case they know something.

You could also consider going into entertainment law and working for a sports network, such as Fox Sports or ESPN. Sports venues also hire attorneys.
Old 11-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #6
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Thanks for the info

The kind I'm really interested in is actually like representing the players and negotiating contracts for them. My plan would be to attend law school and I wasn't sure if afterwards it was like best to work for a law firm or be an intern for another sports agent/team etc.

This is mere speculation, and just some goals I've started to think about.

Old 11-23-2006, 12:47 AM   #7
bobatundi
Golden Member

bobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond reputebobatundi has a reputation beyond repute

if only creditXpert were still a member of the board, he could tell you I'm sure...
bobatundi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #8
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

haha, yeah too bad

Old 12-04-2006, 03:33 AM   #9
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

So for the project for my class we had to research our career and one of the parts of the project was writing an essay. I learned a lot, but I was surprised to see that there is not much on how to start out and what the main job requirements are. If anyone has any sites/info that could help me learn more about this career I'd appreciate it.

Old 12-04-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

i looked into it in the past and if i recall correctly, the two best sports law programs in the country are tulane and stanford. my lsat scores were good enough, but my GPA really stinks.

i think marquette also offers one, but they aren't as highly rated as tulane or stanford.
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:25 AM   #11
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, I would think going pre-law in college would be the best route to go. It may seem kind of weird, but don't be afraid to go for an econ major! Econ majors normally do very well on the LSAT. Must have something to do with the analytical skils needed for that test. Maybe combine that with a philosophy/math/poli sci. minor (I'm not sure which one would work best because I haven't really ). Our family knew a lawyer and he was a sports agent (at least at one point). I think he had stories about working with guys like Darrell Green and Hakeem Olajuwon.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 02:19 PM   #12
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Just do well in whatever major you choose - it doesn't really matter since pre-law programs aren't usually majors, just recommended courses for those interested in law (SMU had a pre-law program, but I largely ignored it and just took whatever classes I wanted). Other than that, do well on the LSAT and you're set. I'm in my first year and there are people from all kinds of majors, so I don't see it being a big deal if you majored in something out of left field. Hell, my brother's wife majored in Finance at TAMU and is now in her first year of residency - looking to go into dermatology.

As long as your grades are good and you do okay on the LSAT, you'll get in. From there, I would think you'd want to take as much entertainment and contract law as you could and see if you can get a job clerking at a firm that handles some entertainment law. You may want to check out law schools in bigger cities as I doubt there's a lot of entertainment law firms in, say, Waco or Lubbock. Good luck.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 05:59 PM   #13
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Thanks guys

When would I take the LSAT? Is that to get into law school? So I'd go to a four year college to get my BA and then take the LSAT and then go to a law school?

Old 12-04-2006, 06:22 PM   #14
FINtastic
Diamond Member

FINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond reputeFINtastic has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly, the LSAT is what you take to get into the law school of your choice. You might take it senior year or maybe when you graduate, I'm not sure. But I know it's toward the end of your undergrad years.

"Ok, Go Mavericks!"
-Avery Johnson
FINtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #15
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FINtastic
Exactly, the LSAT is what you take to get into the law school of your choice. You might take it senior year or maybe when you graduate, I'm not sure. But I know it's toward the end of your undergrad years.
Cool, thanks.

Old 12-04-2006, 07:48 PM   #16
untitled
Golden Member

untitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud ofuntitled has much to be proud of

Yeah, they administer the LSAT a few times per year - just go to www.lsac.org (Law School Admissions Council) and you can find dates/locations and sign up there (you'll also probably use the site for your applications and recommendation letters - it makes the process much faster and easier).

Like the SAT, you can take the LSAT as many times as you want. HOWEVER, MOST LAW SCHOOLS AVERAGE THE SCORES TOGETHER, so if you take it more than once you could possibly make your situation worse. I was unaware of this and took my first test with very little preperation "to see where I was at" - big mistake. I dodged a bullet because I managed to do okay on that test, but if I had known that little tidbit there's no way I would have taken it.
untitled is offline   Reply With Quote