Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Political Arena

Old 12-25-2006, 08:28 PM   #1
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute
Default So what do you think would happen?

Here is a politicians speech. Is it okay?

Quote:
"You can't back down, you can't chicken out, you can't be afraid, you got to have faith in God, and you got to stand up and be a real Christian," Detroit native Keith Ellison said to loud applause.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/a...EWS99/61225002
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2006, 08:34 PM   #2
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

If a Christian made those comments he/she would be vilified by mavdog, libidiots everywhere and all appeasers and those who lack backbone and conviction.
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 08:52 PM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Good for him!

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2006, 09:48 PM   #4
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nashtymavsfan13
Good for him!
nashty- dude changed the quote. Ellison said those things about being muslim.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:27 AM   #5
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drbio
If a Christian made those comments he/she would be vilified by mavdog, libidiots everywhere and all appeasers and those who lack backbone and conviction.
Do you really blieve that?

What in that speech do you think (when "translated into christian") would drive liberals nuts?
mcsluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 10:10 AM   #6
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Quote:

so now bio, in addition to his apparent fascination with people's moms. is also a psychic...or is that a psychotic?

ellison said muslims should "teach people what tolerance was" and seek "justice". that is for every person, not just muslims.

yes, he is correct.

ellison sure didn't say the quoran should be implemented or propose shari'a, and unlike some who want to legislate according to their bible, impose a theocracy on our secular country.

of course, one could always follow the pitiful example of virgil goode, attacking ellison for the mere fact that he is a muslim and attempting to leverage ellison's election into some good ole fashioned demagaugery.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 11:59 AM   #7
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsluggo
Do you really blieve that?

What in that speech do you think (when "translated into christian") would drive liberals nuts?
The use of the word Christian in a positive light just makes libs cringe. Yes....I believe if a repub politician said "You can't back down, you can't chicken out, you can't be afraid, you got to have faith in God, and you got to stand up and be a real Christian," that thelibs would line up about how insensitive the comment was. They would rail that person for not being inclusive. I am certain that would happen.

As for mavdog....nuff said.

There is nothing wrong with the statement Ellison made. I don't have a problem with religious pride whatsoever since dude asked if the comments were ok. However, I made an accurate observation lateral to his question.

Last edited by Drbio; 12-26-2006 at 12:00 PM.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:03 PM   #8
mcsluggo
Golden Member

mcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant futuremcsluggo has a brilliant future

Of course, the real question from all of this is:
"How the hell did someone named VIRGIL GOODE even survive childhood?"

In most schhol districts, Virgil would have either been beaten into oblivion, or followed the "Dick Butkis" path -- by necessity becoming the biggest baddest mofo on the block, so that nobody could possibly f* with him. It is pretty clear that Virgil didn't follow "path B", so why the hell is he still here? Is our social fabric breaking down, and failing society at-large?

signed- A concerned fellow Virginian.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:34 PM   #9
mcsluggo
Golden Member

Quote:
The use of the word Christian in a positive light just makes libs cringe.
Well... THAT is a healthy serving of some complete and utter bs on this, the day after christmas

it either shows an absolute misunderstanding of the views of the "other" side, or a willfull mistatement of those views. Either way, the statement (if said AT ALL serious) says quite abit more about your reasoning than it does about liberal's attitudes.

Somehow, at church on Sunday, in my liberal-catholic parish, all sorts of liberals somehow managed to celebrate the eucharist, and the teachings of Jesus while neither having their skin burst into flames, nor their heads spin around while they projectile vomitted. Hmmm?

actually we liberal catholics went to church TWICE on Sunday: for the 4th sunday in advent in the morning AND for, "midnight mass" (at 10pm) to celebrate the birth of Jesus-- with my baby girl doing an AWESOME job playing the role of babyJesus, I might add-- without the 666 birthmarks on our scalps (under our hairlines) even itching...

Quote:
Yes....I believe if a repub politician said "You can't back down, you can't chicken out, you can't be afraid, you got to have faith in God, and you got to stand up and be a real Christian," that thelibs would line up about how insensitive the comment was. They would rail that person for not being inclusive. I am certain that would happen.

There is nothing wrong with the statement Ellison made. I don't have a problem with religious pride whatsoever since dude asked if the comments were ok. However, I made an accurate observation lateral to his question.
What scares me is the fact that you MIGHT really not be able to see the difference between how liberals would view someone saying
"I use my faith to guide my decision making process..."
and
"Everyone MUST use my faith to guide their decision making process..."

oh well...

a final note... as a citizen of the united states, bound by the laws passed by congress, wouldn't you rather someone swore an oath over something THEY believed in (so that they'd feel some sort of binding importance to the oath)? If I (as a Christian) swore an oath over the qoran, wouldn't that be equivelent to me crossing my fingers behind my back?
Old 12-26-2006, 01:12 PM   #10
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts
Wink

Quote:
The use of the word Christian in a positive light just makes libs cringe. Yes....I believe if a repub politician said "You can't back down, you can't chicken out, you can't be afraid, you got to have faith in God, and you got to stand up and be a real Christian," that thelibs would line up about how insensitive the comment was. They would rail that person for not being inclusive. I am certain that would happen.

As a practicing Roman Catholic I choose to forgive Bio of his utter ignorance... she is truly a culture warrior..hahahahah!!
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 02:52 PM   #11
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

Quote:
nashty- dude changed the quote. Ellison said those things about being muslim.

It sucks that if a Christian said that the media would be all over him, while a Muslim can say it without a problem.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 07:43 PM   #12
Drbio
Banned

Correct nashty and don't let libidiots tell you otherwise.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
George Gervin

George Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these partsGeorge Gervin is infamous around these parts

Quote:
Correct nashty and don't let libidiots tell you otherwise.

thank you culture warrior.. you and bush make me proud to be a christian
George Gervin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #14
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
Flame on Rainbow Warrior.

Last edited by capitalcity; 12-26-2006 at 09:30 PM.
capitalcity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #15
Drbio
Banned

A day without George Gervin is like a fish without a bicycle.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:13 AM   #16
Drbio
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Gervin
I thought you were a priest friendly alter boy.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:25 PM   #17
Mavdog
Diamond Member

Mavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud ofMavdog has much to be proud of

Congressman to be sworn in using Quran
By FREDERIC J. FROMMER, Associated Press Writer

Rep.-elect Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress, will use a Quran once owned by Thomas Jefferson during his ceremonial swearing-in Thursday.

The chief of the Library of Congress' rare book and special collections division, Mark Dimunation, will walk the Quran across the street to the Capitol and then walk it back after the ceremony.

Ellison, D-Minn., contacted the library about the book last month, Dimunation said.

Some critics have argued that only a Bible should be used for the swearing-in. Last month, Virginia Rep. Virgil Goode (news, bio, voting record), R-Va., warned that unless immigration is tightened, "many more Muslims" will be elected and follow Ellison's lead. Ellison was born in Detroit and converted to Islam in college.

Ellison spokesman Rick Jauert said the new congressman "wants this to be a special day, and using Thomas Jefferson's Quran makes it even more special."

"Jefferson's Quran dates religious tolerance to the founders of our country," he added.

An English translation of the Arabic, it was published in 1764 in London, a later printing of one originally published in 1734.

"This is considered the text that shaped Europe's understanding of the Quran," Dimunation said.

It was acquired in 1815 as part of a 6,400-volume collection that Jefferson sold for $24,000, to replace the congressional library that had been burned by British troops the year before, in the War of 1812.

"It was a real bargain," Dimunation said.
Mavdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 07:42 PM   #18
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Well isn't that special.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote