Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-07-2007, 04:41 PM   #1
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute
Default why the mavs are so darn good

A really good article from an SI guy, Ian Thomsen...

A cut above
How are the Mavs this good? Let us count the ways

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...nce/index.html

highly recommended reading, and it ought to be required reading for visiting spurs or rockets fans and people with double digit IQs (but I repeat myself).
Old 03-07-2007, 05:40 PM   #2
Julius

Julius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to allJulius is a name known to all

Quote:
Dampier and Diop are near the top in points per screen set. So they are productive in many ways most people don't follow.
nice stat
Julius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:47 PM   #3
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

GREATarticle, thanks.
I really liked point seven:
7. They are hungry to fulfill themselves.

"I've always thought with this team that we're like the Island of Misfit Toys,'' Nelson says. "You've got Dirk, who we thought of as a top three guy but he slid all way to No. 9. Jet is a guy who, from what everybody says, can't play the point. Sagana Diop we picked up off the scrap heap; [Erick] Dampier was an 'underachiever.' Stack [Jerry Stackhouse] was seen as a troublemaker thrown in to that trade [to acquire the draft rights to Harris]. You've got this locker room full of guys who have been looking for a place to fit in, and here they are.''

And they all realize that they need each other to succeed.

Go Mavs
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #4
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas
GREATarticle, thanks.

"I've always thought with this team that we're like the Island of Misfit Toys,'' Nelson says. "You've got Dirk, who we thought of as a top three guy but he slid all way to No. 9. Jet is a guy who, from what everybody says, can't play the point. Sagana Diop we picked up off the scrap heap; [Erick] Dampier was an 'underachiever.' Stack [Jerry Stackhouse] was seen as a troublemaker thrown in to that trade [to acquire the draft rights to Harris]. You've got this locker room full of guys who have been looking for a place to fit in, and here they are.''

Go Mavs
Love that point... freakin excellent
Old 03-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #5
alexamenos
Diamond Member

alexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond reputealexamenos has a reputation beyond repute

a lot of really good statements in the article -- loved this one on Dirk:

Quote:
Nowitzki has learned the NBA game backward. The more celebrated he's become as a scorer, the more willingly he's taken on the dirty work as his team has needed it.
dirk is the anti-diva, the anti-drama queen.

this is something knucklehead dirk dissers just don't get about dirk...
Old 03-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #6
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

To answer the title of the thread... Dirk.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #7
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

Its all about depth, chemistry, talent and thier emotional drive to win. (not to mention the fans )
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:22 PM   #8
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by left texas
GREATarticle, thanks.

Go Mavs
Not to mention Josh as the 29th draft pick. Dallas took a pile of rejects and made wonders out of them. Beautiful.
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 07:57 PM   #9
Janett_Reno
Platinum Member

Janett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to allJanett_Reno is a name known to all

Great article and thanks for posting. I think number 1 is right and Amare is great and Marion is really good also but before i wrote Dallas off as just one all star. I really feel Josh Howard is the real deal. I think he can be in the class of Marion but yes i know Marion puts up huge numbers in all catagories. I have also looked closely at Terry's career stats and like Nash, Nash will put a dagger thru your heart bu so will Terry in crunch time, plus Terry's numbers over a career is very good. They are all stars on my team. I like those 3 i mentioned and think they play great together(and Dirk of course).

The biggest difference in the Mavs now of old is because of number 2. Avery basketball wins titles, Pop's style, Phil Jackson style and Pat Riley style. Don Nelson will never win a nba title and i like him and he is one of the most excitting coaches but all offense and no defense, equals a loss in the playoffs. Avery is a chip off the ole block(Pop) and Pop is great and we now play Spurs style and do it great. Pop and Avery demand defense.

I agree with 3 as Howard has reminded me of Pippen from very eary on and Pippen was so good. They do it all, like Marion. It is nothing they can't do. Along with Dirk and Terry, Howard is huge to how far we go.

Number 4, Terry was on a great college team and was on sucky teams before Dallas.

Number 5 is interesting. Remember Avery sitting Harris and making him watch Terry and the point guard we traded to Atlanta? Harris had the talent and more talen than most. He is blazing quick and fast but he had to learn the whole concept of the game. He is young and we had to have him hit his open shots where they would not play off him. Now he gets alot of time and we have this big time talent on the floor and getting time and look at what he is doing. He is unleasing this talent. He is growing up.

Number 6 about the 0-4 start scarred me but now i see it was a good thing.

Number 7 is so true because of the heartbreak of how close we was last year.

Number 8 is huge. If you take Dampier and Diop's numbers and compare them to other center's. I am saying we play two centers to make one, they are doing very good. I watch many games and Kerr has commented on this alot, if someone breaks us down, like Cavs game and their goes Lebron or anyone down the lane and now they see Dampier or Diop at the goal. I watch Dampier and Diop erase defensive mistakes when someone beats us and is going for a layup or dunk. We have never had a center so this is huge for us and our team as a whole is much better on defense. The talk is we will pick up another big center to fill that last spot because it will hurt us bad if Diop or Dampier went down.

Number 9, Stackhouse doesn't cry at being 6th man and this is team playing ball. My hat is off to Stackhouse and he is good.

Number 10, thank goodness we did not get Mike James. Buckner is a good defensive player and can make a 3 sometimes. He has to guard super stars and good players out front. George was a huge pick up with size. Croshere will be ok and thank goodness we have him as George is down and i like his play. Maybe his shooting will get consistent. We did not need anymore stars. It wouldn't be enough balls to go around in one game. I'll take Howard as a star, with Dirk and Terry.

11. True, we have had no major injuries but we are deep and we d need a 3rd string big man but we are alright.

12. Cuban in charge. We all know that and some say that is good and some say it's bad. I like Cuban myself.

I will finish on this, i thought the first half, Phil Jackson was coach of the year with that bunch but his magic is faltering the second half. Avery is putting together one of the greatest seasons ever. Now i fee Avery has lapped everyone and it will take a major change for him not to win coah of the year.

Nash was ahead of Dirk at half but Dirk was on his heels and now i feel Dirk has over taken Nash for MVP. You can't short change this record and streak. Dirk is at the head of it and yes Nash could come back and over take him but i feel Dirk has moved ahead pretty good and i don't see him and Dallas slowing down. I think Dirk will get his dues this year and now be MVP and i really feel he deserves it up to today. I know it is alot more ball left. Now if we can finish it all off with a title.

Great article and thanks for posting it.
Janett_Reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:29 PM   #10
wmbwinn
Platinum Member

wmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud ofwmbwinn has much to be proud of

"Rebounding keys our fast break,'' Cuban says. "The Suns are the only team that can fast-break a made basket. Our centers are getting anywhere from 54 percent to 57 percent of contested rebounds -- that's top three in the league. They also are near the top in points per screen set. So they are productive in many ways most people don't follow.''

It would be great to have acccess to all of the stats that Cuban collects... I love those stats. I knew that our centers were more important than their basic numbers suggested and their basic numbers are good...

Nice post Janet. Good to see you back. Haven't seen you post in a while but I am erratic posting myself.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." -Thomas Jefferson
wmbwinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:46 PM   #11
LRB
Guru

LRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to beholdLRB is a splendid one to behold

I'm highly offended that the article didn't mention the contributions of Dallas-Mavs.com posters.

Seriously great article and thanks for posting it.
Old 03-07-2007, 11:12 PM   #12
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

Arguably the best article ever on our Mavs from the National writers!!

Thanks for posting it Alexamenos.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:31 PM   #13
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

Great read, one of the best Mavs articles i've seen in a long time.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:53 PM   #14
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

excellent. i particularly enjoyed the part about howard.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 11:56 PM   #15
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Brilliant article - it made my inner-homer smile!

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 12:26 PM   #16
Mavfreak

Mavfreak will become famous soon enoughMavfreak will become famous soon enough

The players, the General, the owner, the fans. The Mavs know what they want and after last season, they know what it takes to get it. The guys are determined, focused, fit, and hungry. They are veeerrry good team.
Mavfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:05 PM   #17
DarenG

DarenG will become famous soon enough

We should be thankful for a few things. The ownership cares and wants to win. The players chemistry is some of the best the NBA has ever seen. The coach is able to get players to buy into the system. The team is playing with a sense of purpose. So many teams fight for just one of those things to happen in a single season. How often to you get a team with all those things coming together in the same year?
DarenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 04:45 PM   #18
nikeball
Platinum Member

nikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond reputenikeball has a reputation beyond repute

ive read the first page and im really happy now

Last edited by nikeball; 03-08-2007 at 06:47 PM.
nikeball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 05:25 PM   #19
bernardos70
Diamond Member

bernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond reputebernardos70 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil' Whistle
That was a personal-friendship, motivational-buddy kind of blow as well.
Terrible, TERRIBLE!!! Good article though.
Old 03-08-2007, 06:57 PM   #20
jayC
Diamond Member

jayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nicejayC is just really nice

The unselfish approach is what makes this team unique. One night its Dirk, the next its JHO, Devin, JT on down the line.

Donnie GM of the decade. The foresight to draft Dirk and not Paul Pierce. Trading for Dampier, drafting Josh Howard. And trading Antoine Walker for Jason Terry. What a trade? The franchise goes from disaster losing Steve Nash to gaining a great scoring point guard like Jet. This year even minor moves have contributed. Adding Croshere, George and Buckner have all added experience and toughness to the team.

The best move of all adding Avery Johnson. The Lil general is no longer little he shall be known as the General catapaulting the Mavs to the best team in the league.
jayC is offline   Reply With Quote