Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-13-2007, 06:53 AM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default The road to success

MAVERICKS PLAYBOOK

The road to success

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

OAKLAND, Calif. -- It makes sense that the team with the league's best record would also own the best road mark.

But that doesn't make the Mavericks' success away from home -- 22-7 after Monday's loss to the Warriors -- any less impressive or important.

"Road wins mean a lot," Dirk Nowitzki said. "We all know it's tough to win on the road. In the NBA, you've got to do both. You've got to win big games at home and on the road."

The Mavs' quick two-game jaunt on the West Coast opened with Sunday's 108-72 rout at the Los Angeles Lakers, the worst home loss since the franchise moved from Minneapolis, and ended with Monday night's visit to Golden State.

The Mavs' ability to thrive in enemy buildings sounds an awful lot like their formula at home.

"It starts with our defense if you want to give yourself a chance to win big games on the road," Nowitzki said. "If you just put in on your jump shot and your jump shot is struggling, you're going to have a tough time winning on the road. If your defense is set and you rebound the ball well, you give yourself a chance to win on the road."

There's also a mental aspect to life away from home.

"It helps our team, we get stronger and we bond on the road," Devean George said. "This is a chance to get better. It's the us-against-the-world mentality."

George coming along

Still dealing with a sore right knee, Devean George didn't play in the second half against the Warriors, and played a few more minutes (21 1/2 ) than coach Avery Johnson expected Sunday at the Lakers because of the blowout.

Moving side-to-side or at angles remains a problem for George, who's playing with a brace on the knee. Greg Buckner has assumed George's spot in the starting lineup.

"This is big week for George," Johnson said. "We don't have that many games left. We need to get him out there.... We have a pretty good plan for him. Hopefully he can continue to make some improvements. You don't really get in game shape unless you can play in games."

George said there isn't a timetable for removing the brace.

"Just until I feel comfortable," he said. "I wish I could take it off and feel comfortable."

Nellie happy for Mavs

What does Warriors coach Don Nelson see in his former team?

"I see the best team in the league," he said. "And a team that I feel will be the champion. They have to do it first, but they've already proven they're the best team in the league. Now they just have to do it under playoff conditions. And I think they're terrific. I'm very happy for them."

Ditto for the achievements of former assistant Avery Johnson.

"There's a lot of satisfaction in knowing that Avery is a great coach," Nelson added. "I knew that a long time ago before he ever started coaching and he's proved it. I'm happy about that."

More on Lakers

A big part of the beat-down in LA centered on the job done by Greg Buckner, Devean George and others against Kobe Bryant, who shot just 6-of-19.

"It was one of our better [defensive] ratings," Avery Johnson said of the overall game. "We had some pretty good things that we did defensively. We made it tough on Bryant. We were really physical. Buckner and George really showed why we signed them."

SPOTLIGHT: ANOTHER VOTE FOR DIRK

Golden State coach Don Nelson thought Dirk Nowitzki would become a perennial All-Star when the Mavs acquired the virtually unknown German forward on draft day in 1998.

But MVP favorite?

"I don't think you can ever predict somebody's going to be MVP of the league," Nelson said.

Nelson's work with Nowitzki and Steve Nash goes without mentioning, as both became All-Stars during his tenure as Mavs coach. However, also worth noting is the continued improvement of Nowitzki and Nash with new coaches.

The free-wheeling style of Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni was perfectly suited for Nash, who became a two-time MVP.

Now pushed to new heights by coach Avery Johnson, Nowitzki may dethrone his best friend as MVP this season.

"It's kind of crazy how it's all worked out," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said. "It also goes to show the importance of coaching and system."

Last edited by kriD; 03-13-2007 at 11:38 AM.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links