Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 03-12-2007, 02:45 PM   #1
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all
Default Croshere gets into rhythm

MAVERICKS PLAYBOOK

Croshere gets into rhythm

By ART GARCIA
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

LOS ANGELES -- Austin Croshere has grown more comfortable with his role, and, not coincidentally, Avery Johnson has grown more comfortable with his roster.

So it's more than likely a free agent won't be added before the end of the regular season next month. Why? There's no need to tinker with the Mavericks' chemistry, and there's probably no one available who can really help in the playoffs.

"Donnie [Nelson] and I have been visiting about it, but there's nothing right now that makes sense," Johnson said of discussions with the team's president of basketball operations.

Croshere has recently seen a bump in playing time, helping shore up reserve needs at power forward and center. He has averaged around 15 minutes in his past eight games, including Sunday night's 108-72 victory over the Lakers at Staples Center.

"Being able to play through some mistakes and get a little bit more of a rhythm out there is great," said Croshere, who scored 13 points against the Lakers. "Obviously, as we get closer to the end of the season, you're going to tighten the rotations a little bit, but it's really an opportunity to show [Johnson] I can help this team when the playoffs come."

Croshere hadn't felt comfortable for most of the season, logging more than 10 minutes only three times from the start of January through Feb. 15. He also didn't play 10 games because of coach's decision during that stretch.

Effort and energy weren't the problem. The 10-year vet had become too much of a stand-still shooter and wasn't sure where he fit in the rotation.

"When you come to a team that went to the Finals last year, you don't want to rock the boat," he said. "You want to do exactly what's wanted of you, but in order to be your best you have to do the things you excel at. It's just been a process of combining the two."

Lately, he's been mixing his game up by getting to the rim and the free-throw line, and running the break. The coaching staff also has a better feel for what Croshere does well, especially behind Dirk Nowitzki.

"If we can get [Croshere] to put together multiple games, four or five games in a row no matter what the minutes are," Johnson said, "then it takes that particular spot in the rotation to another level."

As for the final roster spot, bringing in former Mavs forward Alan Henderson was a consideration. But he was released by Utah after the cut-off date to be playoff-eligible.

"If we were to bring in somebody, it would be somebody that would be eligible for the playoffs," Johnson said.

Johnson said he has his own cut-off date to add a free agent, if it's going to happen, to ensure he has enough time to incorporate the newcomer into the system. The Mavs' regular reason ends April 18.

Still perfect

Not only is the 17-game winning streak on line tonight at Golden State, the Mavs remain unbeaten (11-0) on the second game of back-to-backs.

"The back-to-backs are special because those are the games you're not supposed to be 100 percent and you're not supposed to win consistently," Avery Johnson said. "I think that says a lot about our team mentally and our physical toughness."

SPOTLIGHT NELLIE ON THE MAVS

Now that he's off Mark Cuban's payroll and back on the bench in Golden State, Don Nelson is free to speak his mind about his former team.

He praised the Mavs' off-season acquisitions and said the run to the NBA Finals served them well heading into this season. But about that run...

"I thought they'd win it last year going into the playoffs, especially when they got a little lucky against San Antonio," Nelson said Sunday in Portland. "I thought they were on their way. Now, they're clearly the elite."

The Warriors haven't been as lucky in Nelson's first season, though Golden State remains in the Western Conference playoff picture. Nelson has said if the Warriors fall short of the postseason, it's because he failed.

"He's a veteran coach so he knows what to say and what not to say," said Avery Johnson, Nelson's former assistant and successor.

"A lot of times with a young basketball team... he feels he has to say certain things to keep them motivated, maybe to keep the expectations down, and that will take the pressure off. Nellie likes to keep the pressure on himself."

Last edited by kriD; 03-12-2007 at 02:45 PM.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2007, 03:34 PM   #2
SeattleMavsFan

SeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the roughSeattleMavsFan is a jewel in the rough

i have noticed croshere has seemed to find a pretty good rhythm. i like him better than van horn, that's for sure. i'm happy to see him progress and find a fit here.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:05 PM   #3
DevinHarriswillstart
Guru

DevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond reputeDevinHarriswillstart has a reputation beyond repute

Cro just has more of a better all-around game than Van Horn. Not as explosive but he does the fundementals in very good fashion. Doesn't really do anything poorly. Perfect for an Avery system.

DevinHarriswillstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:11 PM   #4
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I know I was the first to knock Cro, but he has actually been playing extremely well lately. If he can finish off the season and go in to the post season with the same level of play, I don't think anyone will be upset with our backup PF play.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:21 PM   #5
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

He's playing well because the whole team is playing well, there is absolutely no pressure on him whatsoever.
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 09:38 PM   #6
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokey41
He's playing well because the whole team is playing well, there is absolutely no pressure on him whatsoever.

Croshere, George, and Buckner all had to take some time to get into a rhythm with this team & they've all gotten better - that's why the whole team has gotten better...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:17 AM   #7
kriD
Platinum Member

kriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to allkriD is a name known to all

Mavs' Croshere making minutes count

11:02 PM CDT on Monday, March 12, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

OAKLAND, Calif. – Austin Croshere knew the situation. And since he's never been a bad guy, he didn't want to break that streak when he joined the Mavericks.

So for the first 50 games of the season, Croshere took his spot on the bench and became sort of a human hood ornament. He looked good sitting there and was always ready to contribute.

He just never got used much.

That's changed since the All-Star break. In the last eight games, Croshere has put in at least 13 minutes six times. His productivity has spiked accordingly. And the waiting game was worth it.

"When you come to a team that went to the Finals last year, you don't want to rock the boat," he said. "You want to do exactly what's wanted of you, but in order to be your best you have to do the things you excel at. It's just been a process of combining the two. Being able to play through some mistakes and get a little bit more of a rhythm out there is great.

"Obviously, as we get closer to the end of the season, you're going to tighten the rotations a little bit, but it's really an opportunity to show coach I can help this team when the playoffs come."

Croshere has averaged 6.1 points and shot 40 percent (16 of 40) since the break, bringing his season shooting up to 35.7 percent. Avery Johnson has seen enough that the team is leaning heavily toward keeping the roster as it is rather than adding a 15th player – presumably a big man, who would be playoff-eligible.

"He's had two games where he's been on and one game where he's been off," Johnson said of Croshere. "Now if we can get him to put together multiple games, four or five games in a row no matter what the minutes are, then it takes that particular spot in the rotation to another level."

Johnson said he and president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson have discussed adding a different player, but nothing is close.

Croshere has settled into a better situation, mentally as well as physically. He said the early months of the season were not easy. He piled up 13 points and eight rebounds Sunday against the Lakers and even contributed to the highlight reel of the 36-point blowout win.

With the fourth quarter winding down, he took a lob pass from Devin Harris and threw down a soft dunk. There was a reason it wasn't more authoritative, he said.

"I mistimed my jump," he said. "The next one will be prettier."

Style points notwithstanding, it was another play that shows how Croshere has evolved since the early portion of the season.

"Early on, I was thinking too much and I was so concerned with doing what the team wanted me to do and fitting into a championship-caliber team that I wasn't doing the things that I felt made me the player that I am," he said. "I was too focused on being stand-still jump shooter, which isn't what I've done my whole career.

"Now, I've been able to finish at the rim, I've gotten out on the break, I've gotten to the free throw line more often. I'm at my best when I'm mixing things up, being the energy guy, the scrappy guy, but then also hitting those shots."

And even throwing down the lob-pass dunk from time to time.
kriD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 03:24 AM   #8
mqywaaah
Diamond Member

mqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant futuremqywaaah has a brilliant future

Its good to see everything falling into place. Now lets start another streak!!

Follow me on Twitter http://twitter.com/gloriosomacky
mqywaaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2007, 04:53 AM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

"The mavs were lucky."

When the expert on dodging cirrhosis talks about luck, you listen. Have another one champ.
Old 03-13-2007, 01:22 PM   #10
left texas
Golden Member

left texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond reputeleft texas has a reputation beyond repute

Last night their rhythm was like Steve Martin in the Jerk. Their step was never in time. I did not think they would look ahead the the Suns. Now I hope they were. Hey a loss kind of keeps us all in line.
left texas is offline   Reply With Quote