Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > The Lounge

Old 04-03-2007, 11:30 AM   #1
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute
Default HP ML330 G3 dual Raid 1 arrays?

Sup my nerds. We got a couple of old servers that we want to reuse as a pure logging server, to log everything. Anyway we are wondering if it can support dual RAID 1 arrays?(like built in)

Its an HP ML330 G3.

Any body have one of these?, know anything else about them.

Or

Know where/who i could find this stuff out?
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #2
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

Is it ATA or SCSI version?

If SCSI, the internal array controller only has one channel. It supports 5 36 GB drives internal so you could add 4 and create two logical drives of 2.

If ATA it supports up to 4 drives internal.

So with either option you are good to go, albeit with limited drive space on SCSI. (I got this information off HP website so perhaps they have smaller footprint larger drives now....). Also, with SCSI using the integrated array controller you are limited to one channel which isn't ideal if you are wanting two separate arrays which is what it sounds like you want to do.

edit: Also, I haven't found any doco that says whether you can duplex the internal drive cage for SCSI.... which it probably isn't capable of since the internal array controller is single channel... if it were you could get a dual channel array controller and be even better off. But if this is a logging server (syslog?) you probably aren't that concerned with controller performance.

Last edited by u2sarajevo; 04-03-2007 at 12:50 PM.
u2sarajevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 01:05 PM   #3
Usually Lurkin
Diamond Member

Usually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond reputeUsually Lurkin has a reputation beyond repute

I would like to nominate this thread for geekiest title of the year.

And u2 for the geekiest reply.
Usually Lurkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM   #4
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usually Lurkin
I would like to nominate this thread for geekiest title of the year.

And u2 for the geekiest reply.
Second
Old 04-03-2007, 03:06 PM   #5
Nemesis
Diamond Member

Nemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud ofNemesis has much to be proud of

tired head.
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 03:27 PM   #6
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flacolaco
Second
thanks fellas, i am not sure who to thank. I mean obviously i created the thread so i must have played some intergral part in the whole process. I guess i'd like to thank my my girlfriend for putting up with me, a few of my professors...I love you dad!!! ugh lets see who else..oh yeah that recruiter who got me my current job..and my boss for hiring me...let us nerds live on!
Old 04-03-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by u2sarajevo
Is it ATA or SCSI version?

If SCSI, the internal array controller only has one channel. It supports 5 36 GB drives internal so you could add 4 and create two logical drives of 2.

If ATA it supports up to 4 drives internal.

So with either option you are good to go, albeit with limited drive space on SCSI. (I got this information off HP website so perhaps they have smaller footprint larger drives now....). Also, with SCSI using the integrated array controller you are limited to one channel which isn't ideal if you are wanting two separate arrays which is what it sounds like you want to do.

edit: Also, I haven't found any doco that says whether you can duplex the internal drive cage for SCSI.... which it probably isn't capable of since the internal array controller is single channel... if it were you could get a dual channel array controller and be even better off. But if this is a logging server (syslog?) you probably aren't that concerned with controller performance.

haha, your not going to believe me when i tell you this, but this server is IDE. I know, what the hell? Who ever was the sys admin before me bought a couple of servers, and they are not rack mountable..freaking idiot!

anyway i guess i was wondering if this ml330 was dual channel on the ide controller. I mean i guess maybe it wont matter cause with ide you got master and slave, and there are 2 ide ports on the motherboard. I think the only way to see if it works, is to actually physically try it. we want to have one array for program files raid 1 80 gig each, and another array probably 300 gigs raid 1.

also that same idiot, bought a 1U rack mouted hp proliant320 with IDE's! why didnt she by scsi...god what a moron
I just demoted it off our domain, so its no longer a DC.

And yes syslog...were going to name it jaba the hutt, cause it "eat's up all the info"....

thanks for the reply though bro....i appreciate it much
Old 04-03-2007, 03:50 PM   #8
u2sarajevo
moderately impressed

u2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond reputeu2sarajevo has a reputation beyond repute

So it's the ATA version....

According to HP's product information page the largest capacity drive that will fit in that thing is 80GB... but it's obviously old documentation if you have 300GB drives for it (which isn't surprising.... I loved Compaq's old site it was always updated).

And the controller does support ATA RAID. So the answer to your original question is yes.

You might find this document helpful.
Old 04-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #9
capitalcity
Diamond Member

capitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant futurecapitalcity has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsX
I guess i'd like to thank my my girlfriend for putting up with me, a few of my professors...I love you dad!!! ugh lets see who else..oh yeah that recruiter who got me my current job..and my boss for hiring me

Your acceptance speech displeases the father of the interwebs.
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #10
MavsX
Diamond Member

hahaha ^
Old 04-03-2007, 07:49 PM   #11
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:

According to HP's product information page the largest capacity drive that will fit in that thing is 80GB... but it's obviously old documentation if you have 300GB drives for it (which isn't surprising.... I loved Compaq's old site it was always updated).

And the controller does support ATA RAID. So the answer to your original question is yes.

thanks bro
Old 04-04-2007, 03:42 PM   #12
MavsX
Diamond Member

Quote:

by the way ata and ide is the same thing, i knew that.

i dont know why i was thinking serial ata. i am such an idiot.

thanks anyway. actually that manual you found is perfect. i printed out what i needed and now im going to buy the HDD's to put in there...looks like max storage was like 380 gigs...not much for a server..but i guess it will do..

my computer at home has 1.2 tera