Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > General Mavs Discussion

Old 04-22-2007, 11:14 PM   #441
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

So, instead of continuing to attack the rim with Harris like the Mavs did early in the 4th to get the Warriors into foul trouble, the Mavs decided to settle for outside jumpers. I hate when a team decides to go away from what's working for absolutely no reason.
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #442
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

embarrassing is right.

what is it about this team that makes our team play like they don't care? it's like we get this "let's just shoot it and see what happens" mind set. i don't get it...you're getting great penetration going to the basket, all the time in the world to go to the basket...and what are you doing? shooting 3pters. sickening.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #443
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

We need to find a way to beat this team - and quickly.

Dallas Mavs Supporter, Berlin/Germany
Zaknaf3in is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #444
mkat
Platinum Member

mkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to beholdmkat is a splendid one to behold

embarrassing is right.

what is it about this team that makes our team play like they don't care? it's like we get this "let's just shoot it and see what happens" mind set. i don't get it...you're getting great penetration going to the basket, all the time in the world to go to the basket...and what are you doing? shooting 3pters. sickening.
mkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:15 PM   #445
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Avery, you better get your head out of Stak's A$$.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 PM   #446
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

Dude, we just sucked tonight. Plain and simple. There's a huge mental block when it comes to the Warriors for the Mavs.
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 PM   #447
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqywaaah
What the f*** went wrong?!
Dirk decided not to show up.

Ugh. the website is going SLOOOOOOW.
Old 04-22-2007, 11:17 PM   #448
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

I don´t understand the gameplan of Avery. He definitely lost the game for us tonight with that lineups.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2007, 11:19 PM   #449
Chicken Diavlo

Chicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really niceChicken Diavlo is just really nice

Dude, we just sucked tonight. Plain and simple. There's a huge mental block when it comes to the Warriors for the Mavs.
Chicken Diavlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:08 AM   #450
WraithXx
Diamond Member

WraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant futureWraithXx has a brilliant future

why does this board keep going down? can we expect this for the rest of the playoffs?
Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #451
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

I barely have the strength to type right now.

I just don't get it. How can Avery be so effing stupid?

Play your normal lineup. PUNISH the Warriors for playing 5 guys under 6'8"!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And you know what Dirk, effing post up on the effing lower block when you're 3 inches taller than anyone else on the floor.

We just lost the opening game of the playoffs on our home court against a team that won 11 road games all season.

Completely, absolutely embarassing.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
jthig32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 AM   #452
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

jthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond reputejthig32 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by WraithXx
why does this board keep going down? can we expect this for the rest of the playoffs?
Heavy traffic. Happens a lot in the playoffs.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
(Using BRef.com calculations for possessions, so numbers are slightly different than what you'll see on NBA.com and ESPN.com
Old 04-23-2007, 12:12 AM   #453
Zaknaf3in

Zaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud ofZaknaf3in has much to be proud of

So that was Avery's hand he didn't want to show on the regular season game against the warriors?

Now i know why - if you got 2 7 on the hand, you are really better off not showing it.

Kind of bad karma for my english exam later on.

Last edited by Zaknaf3in; 04-23-2007 at 12:13 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:13 AM   #454
Captain Disaster

Captain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the roughCaptain Disaster is a jewel in the rough

Here's a sobering thought: Avery Johnson AND DEL Harris are both in awe of Don Nelson, and this is why the Warriors have an even shot or greater to pull the upset. This is also why he got them to match up against his team. Another possibility is that Damp is injured worse then they are admitting publicly.
Captain Disaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #455
Zaknaf3in

Yeah, i thought about that Damp thing too - there is just no sense in playing Diop only.

Old 04-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #456
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Disaster
Here's a sobering thought: Avery Johnson AND DEL Harris are both in awe of Don Nelson, and this is why the Warriors have an even shot or greater to pull the upset. This is also why he got them to match up against his team. Another possibility is that Damp is injured worse then they are admitting publicly.
He played against Seattle. I don't buy that for a second.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game
Old 04-23-2007, 12:18 AM   #457
And1

And1 will become famous soon enough

the mavs have shown that they can lose the first 2 at home and still win the series. So with that said if dallas wins next they can turn this into a best of 5.

Dallas needs to go big and get rebounds....oh and defend the 3.
And1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #458
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

We lost this game three weeks or so ago when we knew the #1 seed was essentially locked up. We started playing sloppy, we were worried about injuries so we stopped going to the basket (with the exception of Devin), etc. I don't think Avery kept his team focused because there was no point to playing with intensity. So, we're rusty and our mental toughness wasn't there tonight. Now we have got to get that edge back. I think we will and don't be surprised if we win 4 straight.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:22 AM   #459
eleoson

eleoson can only hope to improve

i'm furious right now...i want to kill a bearded man!
eleoson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:30 AM   #460
New.Stuff.BT
Banned

New.Stuff.BT is infamous around these partsNew.Stuff.BT is infamous around these parts

It is funny though. You guys are talking about how the Dallas Mavericks played horrible but Golden State Warriors played even worse and still pulled through. Just saw a small glimpse of the Warriors. Mavericks out rebounded, out assisted, out stole, and Golden State Warriors had more turn overs. Warriors had a horrible night on the three and missed to many easy layups. So if the Warrior step up their game, how will Mavs handle it this time?

Avery Johnson can start stepping up on Davis but just look at it like this, offensively all of the Warriors players have incredible skills and Avery did make a huge mistake playing by the Warriors style. He should have forced us to play your style.

But it's great to be a Warriors fan. Been waiting for way to long, just don't hate on us too much. We've been waiting for this for over a decade.
New.Stuff.BT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:31 AM   #461
rakesh.s
Golden Member

rakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of lightrakesh.s is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by jthig32
Heavy traffic. Happens a lot in the playoffs.
kinda dumb if you ask me..so this is a non-playoff board only?

might as well stick to realgm...they don't go down and they have visitors from ALL teams all the time.
rakesh.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:32 AM   #462
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Disaster
Here's a sobering thought: Avery Johnson AND DEL Harris are both in awe of Don Nelson, and this is why the Warriors have an even shot or greater to pull the upset. This is also why he got them to match up against his team.
I'm not sure it's the awe factor in AJ and/or DHarris, or the "I don't give a crap" factor in Nelson. He did this to the Kings all the time a few years back, daring the Kings to play Vlade while Dirk was playing C. Just about every time down the floor the Kings could get a Vlade iso in the post, but on the other end Dirk could get easy looks at 3s off the high pick and roll with Nash.

And, if my recollection is correct, I recall the Kings bending to Nelson's lineups instead of the other way around, even though in the end the Kings won 2 of 3 playoff series against Don Nelson. They still trotted out Peja at PF for long periods of time, just so he could run with Dirk, and had Vlade or CWebb chasing Walt Williams or the like around the floor. It was infuriating as a Kings' fan because (imho) the Kings had the better team, and they should have just made the Mavs match up with them.

But Nelson doesn't give a crap, mainly because he knows if he trots out his "traditional" basketball lineup that he will get swept right out of the playoffs. GSW doesn't have a PF to match up with Dirk --- so Nelson presses the point so his team doesn't have a player on the floor who can match up well with Dirk or Damp/Diop. But on the other hand, Damp/Diop supposedly can't matchup with GSW's C (Harrington), and tonight, AJ blinked first in this game of lineup chicken. Nelson doesn't have to blink because his other options aren't really options, whereas AJ has Devean and Stack and other guys that can play in this type of game (although tonight they did not play as well as they could have).

I hope AJ realizes that Diop was very effective on the offensive glass, and that Harrington will suffer for trying to guard either Diop or Damp --- may be enough to even get Harrington out of the game in foul trouble or in favor of Biedrins. Game 2 starting lineup will be interesting.
4cwebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:33 AM   #463
Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud ofBig Shot Rob has much to be proud of

Never would have guessed it in a million years.

If anyone yesterday would have spotted me odds of 10000 to one that BOTH the Spurs and the Mavs wouild lose game one of the first round, I wouldn't have put a nickel on it.

If its any consolation--both the Mavs and the Spurs are probably the two best teams to play after a loss.

I expect both will even the series up on Wednesday.

To quote a former Commander in Chief--

I can feel your pain.
Big Shot Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:46 AM   #464
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4cwebb
I'm not sure it's the awe factor in AJ and/or DHarris, or the "I don't give a crap" factor in Nelson. He did this to the Kings all the time a few years back, daring the Kings to play Vlade while Dirk was playing C. Just about every time down the floor the Kings could get a Vlade iso in the post, but on the other end Dirk could get easy looks at 3s off the high pick and roll with Nash.

And, if my recollection is correct, I recall the Kings bending to Nelson's lineups instead of the other way around, even though in the end the Kings won 2 of 3 playoff series against Don Nelson. They still trotted out Peja at PF for long periods of time, just so he could run with Dirk, and had Vlade or CWebb chasing Walt Williams or the like around the floor. It was infuriating as a Kings' fan because (imho) the Kings had the better team, and they should have just made the Mavs match up with them.

But Nelson doesn't give a crap, mainly because he knows if he trots out his "traditional" basketball lineup that he will get swept right out of the playoffs. GSW doesn't have a PF to match up with Dirk --- so Nelson presses the point so his team doesn't have a player on the floor who can match up well with Dirk or Damp/Diop. But on the other hand, Damp/Diop supposedly can't matchup with GSW's C (Harrington), and tonight, AJ blinked first in this game of lineup chicken. Nelson doesn't have to blink because his other options aren't really options, whereas AJ has Devean and Stack and other guys that can play in this type of game (although tonight they did not play as well as they could have).

I hope AJ realizes that Diop was very effective on the offensive glass, and that Harrington will suffer for trying to guard either Diop or Damp --- may be enough to even get Harrington out of the game in foul trouble or in favor of Biedrins. Game 2 starting lineup will be interesting.
AJ said in the postgame that they couldn't live with the offensive shortcomings at the five if they went big.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 12:48 AM   #465
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chumdawg
AJ said in the postgame that they couldn't live with the offensive shortcomings at the five if they went big.
And what we saw tonight wasn't offensive shortcomings?

I mean, someone tell me if I watched a different game, but other than 4 or 5 layups, it's not like we were missing open, makeable shots. Our offense looked completely, and utterly horrendous.

And he somehow thinks that playing without our centers BENEFITED our offense?

I'm so confused.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game

Last edited by jthig32; 04-23-2007 at 12:49 AM.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:04 AM   #466
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh.s
kinda dumb if you ask me..so this is a non-playoff board only?

might as well stick to realgm...they don't go down and they have visitors from ALL teams all the time.
Maybe if you contributed more dollars to dj, it wouldn't go down.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 01:20 AM   #467
4cwebb
Golden Member

4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light4cwebb is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
If that is the case, then this series could potentially be a longer series than at least I originally anticipated. Granted my job is not to coach basketball games, but it seems like a flawed strategy to play into GSW's hands in this manner. Diop had a very good game on the boards in limited minutes, and the Mavs gave up 14 o-boards to a team that only played a true C for 7 minutes.

Dirk, JHo, Terry and Harris should be more than enough offense (on a normal night) if the Mavs can dominate the boards --- I don't think a 4 rebound advantage total (and a 5 o-board advantage) is what the Mavs had in mind coming into this series when there was talk of killing GSW on the glass.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:27 AM   #468
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

The funny part of it all is that Biedrins is pretty damn good. When Nellie goes small, remember, he is taking Biedrins out of the game, too.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2007, 02:49 AM   #469
4cwebb
Golden Member

Quote:
The funny part of it all is that Biedrins is pretty damn good. When Nellie goes small, remember, he is taking Biedrins out of the game, too.
True, but Biedrins lets the Mavs play their normal game, and we all know that Nellie is not about to play into the Mavs' hands in that manner if he can help it.
Old 04-23-2007, 07:57 AM   #470
jthig32
Lazy Moderator

Quote:
Shouldn't that be Avery's first clue that he's making the wrong decision? Nellis so badly wants Avery to sit his big men that he's sitting a pretty effective player of his own.

Seems crystal clear to me.

Mavs Net Ratings By Game