Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 05-22-2007, 09:35 PM   #1
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future
Default A More Serious Remake of the Mavs

The unexpected drawing for the draft lottery opens some even better opportunities for the Mavs:

1) Seattle, after drawing the No. 2 spot in the draft, now can put together a legitimate contender, but they need a better point guard and an experienced center. Ray Allen now needs to move on so the Sonics can resign Rashard Lewis and play he and Durant at the 2 & 3. So, we make this deal:

Jason Terry & Eric Dampier for Ray Allen, Luke Ridnour and Johan Petro.

Dallas gets an all-star caliber two guard, a back up for Devin Harris at the point, and another rotation player at center. Seattle gets its starting point (besides being a Seattle native, Terry fits perfectly in an offense with two almost unstoppable one-on-one players in Durant and Lewis. Dampier handles the main work at center until Swift or Sene grows up. Can you say play offs?

Seattle line up:

Terry/Earl Watson
Durant/Damien Wilkens
Lewis/Mickel Gelabale
Wilcox/Collison
Dampier/Swift/Sene

2)Portland gets the No. 1 pick and Greg Oden. Now its young team is overstocked with post players and only missing a small forward to be a play off team:

Josh Howard, Greg Buckner & DJ Mbenga for Zach Randolph and Martell Webster.

Seattle line up:

Oden/Pryzbilla
Aldrige/Mbenga/LaFrentz
Howard/Miles/Outlaw
Roy/Buckner/Jones
Jack/Rodriguez/Dickau

Howard's the oldest significant player, and Portland can look forward to many years in the play offs.

Dallas still needs to find a small forward and probably a back up with the MLE and the LLE, so Luke Walton or Grant Hill, backed up by James Posey or Morris Peterson or their equivalent are signed. Stackhouse is resigned and Croshere walks.

Dallas rotation:

Diop/Petro
Dirk/Randolph
Walton/Posey/Stackhouse
Allen/Webster/Ager
Harris/Ridnour

JJ and Pops fight it out with the three second round draft choices and any free agents for the last three spots--unless the Anthony Johnson trade exception brings in somebody better.

Dirk and Randolph play together a good portion of the time, Walton plays some 4 in a small line up and Dallas can go with a pretty good defense (Harris-Allen-Posey-Dirk-Diop or Petro) or an unstoppable offense (Harris-Allen-Walton-Dirk-Randolph). And Dirk stays rested for the play offs.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2007, 10:35 PM   #2
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousSummer
Jason Terry & Eric Dampier for Ray Allen, Luke Ridnour and Johan Petro.
If you can pull this off... you are my Executive of the Year!!
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
nashtymavsfan13
Diamond Member

nashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant futurenashtymavsfan13 has a brilliant future

There is no way Seattle accepts that trade, and there is no way I do that trade with Portland. After getting Allen if they double Dirk he could make threes all day. We need Howard's D and versatility.

"He's as valuable as anyone. The most unusual thing is that they lose last year's MVP and still get better. It's unheard of."

"For a team as good as the Mavs, the regular season is just 82 practice games until the real season begins." -G-Man

"We wanted this for Dirk because of his heart, his class, his work ethic, his humility, his sense of humor, his respect for the game, and his respect for people."
nashtymavsfan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2007, 11:27 PM   #4
Ninkobei
Platinum Member

Ninkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant futureNinkobei has a brilliant future

Howard should be untradable this offseason unless its for A+++ talent. or a number 2 draft pick.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:21 AM   #5
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

I think Chicago would be an interesting target for trade talks.

They can´t resign all of their players, but maybe packing Devin Harris or Jason Terry for Andres Nocioni and the 9th pick in a sign and trade might work.

We could add a solid guy with the 9th pick and play Howard / Nocioni / Dirk + Center alongside a PG in a renewed gameplan.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:41 AM   #6
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Serious,
if you can get Terry & Damp to Seattle for RAllen and a Big (Sene is my pref, or Petro), and get a backup PG with the skills of Ridnour..........then Cuban needs to be hiring you permanently. I absolutely love this option.

My problem is that RLewis can opt out of his contract, and if Portland takes Oden, then Seattle gets Durant. This means, IMO, that RAllen stays, and RLewis goes in a SNT that possibly gets them a PF/C or a PG.

Just my thoughts, but RLewis and Randolph just hit the market totally available.

If Seattle wanted to get young, I guess they could move RAllen, but somehow I am doubting this one.

With the Portland scenerio, I wouldn't move DJ Benga. 7's with his athleticism are hard to find, and hopefully he is starting to get enough experience to become a player. Hopefully Avery will get him some more experience at the NBA level and he can develop. He shows flashes of massive potential.

Question, if you do this deal, how do you beat Portland in three years?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:27 AM   #7
Male30Dan
Diamond Member

Male30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond reputeMale30Dan has a reputation beyond repute

I OBVIOUSLY get the first trade, (won't happen), but why would you trade your starting All-Star SF for a backup PF???

Great first trade and bad second trade.

I know Randolph would have helped a ton in the GS series with his post game, but Howard really is very valuable right now and we have Dirk.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:54 AM   #8
argo

argo is on a distinguished road

I think Terry for Lewis is more likely for Seattle
argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 10:13 AM   #9
purplefrog
Platinum Member

purplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond reputepurplefrog has a reputation beyond repute

I like the first trade and don't think it is outrageous to believe that Seattle would pull the trigger on Allen IF they really think Durant can play the 2. The reason I think the Sonics might do this is that they desperately need a presence in the middle. They have three inexperienced 5s that are all destined to be back-ups imo. Damp would solve that problem and then Wilcox and Collison could go back to their more natural 4 slot (on the other hand, why wouldn't the Sonics go out and try to sign Magliore?). Ray Allen is 32 and Rashard Lewis is only 28, that age difference might be a good reason to try and keep Lewis rather than Allen (again if Durant can play the 2). Also, isn't Lewis making something around 10+ million next year? Is anyone really going to pay him more than that?

I am not sure the salaries work out if you add a PG. It looks to me like Ridnour is looking at something close to a 6.5 million dollar salary for next year, so the Mavs might have to add Buckner to the deal (Buck, Damp, and Terry for Allen and Ridnour/Watson). I am also skeptical the Sonics would part with Ridnour in this scenario, but might rather put up Watson. Salaries look comparable for Ridnour and Watson next year. If the planets align for the Mavs and the Sonics, and this trade actually went down the Mavs might have to go out and get another big (Magliore) and they are still looking for a backup PF.

I don't like Randolph on the Mavs and wouldn't trade JHO in this scenario.

The Mavs would be giving up a lot (both in talent and years of committed salary) imo and they would have some holes to fill (back-up at 4 and 5) and they might still be without a playmaking PG if Watson is traded rather than Ridnour. On the other hand, Dirk + Allen would give the Mavs the two All-Star elite players that might be necessary to win the championship. I think I would gamble and pull the trigger if the Sonics were willing.

Starting line-up would be:
Harris PG
Allen SG
JHO SF
Dirk PF
Diop C

The bench would be a bit sparse but then again it didn't really help much in the playoffs this year. Mavs will add a couple of low-cost free agents....
Here's the bench without any FAs:
Watson or Ridnour
Stackhouse (assuming he is re-signed)
Ager
DJ
Barea
Pops

Sonics would have as starters:
Terry PG
Durant SG
Lewis SF
Wilcox PF
Dampier C

Bench:
Watson or Ridnour
Buckner
Wilkins
Gelabale
Collison
A bunch of second rate 5s
Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 AM   #10
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by argo
I think Terry for Lewis is more likely for Seattle
What about a Terry/Damp for Lewis (SNT), Watson, and Sene?

Would Seattle do that?
Seattle:
Terry, Ridnour
Allen, Wilkins
Durant, Gelebale
Collison, Wilcox
Dampier, Swift, Petro -- that is solid.

Dallas:
Harris, Watson, JJB
Howard, Stack, Bucknor, Ager
Lewis, (Walton/Pietrus/Banks)
Dirk, (PJ Brown would be perfect), Pops
Diop, DJ Benga, Sene

I think this might work for both teams.

Dallas smallball (GSW, PhX); Harris, Howard, Lewis, Dirk, PJ Brown
Dallas vs SA: Watson/Harris on TP, Stack/Lewis on Bowen/Fin, Howard on Ginobli, Dirk on Elson/Oberto, Diop/PJ/DJ/Sene on TD.
Dallas vs LA: Harris, Bucknor, Howard, Dirk, Diop -- Buck and Howard on Kobe
Dallas vs Utah: Harris/Watson get Williams, Lewis gets Kirelenko, Howard gets Giricek , Dirk gets Okur, and PJ/Diop get Boozer.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

Old 05-23-2007, 10:44 AM   #11
argo

I am not sure you could do Terry and Damp in the same deal. That is alot of years, unless you are getting 4 years back in contracts...

I do think that both can be traded and are commodities that some teams would look at.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #12
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

I looked at doing it with R. Lewis, but I assumed Seattle would rather keep him, because Ray Allen will be pretty well done in two or three years when Durant is reaching his peak.

But it can work either way (according to Real GM) and I'd do it either way, although I prefer Lewis.

The Howard for Randolph deal is clearly more controversial, but I think Dallas has to have a post player if it is going to handle teams like Phoenix and Golden State. I think an acceptable small forward or two guard can be found for the MLE, and if you have Ray Allen or Rashard Lewis then you don't need that player to be the scorer Howard it, especially if you get some scoring at the 5 by playing Randolph there part-time.

"Question, if you do this deal, how do you beat Portland in three years?"

Well, oh spotted dog, you probably don't. By that time Dirk will be 33, and if you haven't got you championship in the next 3 years with that team, then it's probably too late.
Old 05-23-2007, 12:24 PM   #13
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
"Question, if you do this deal, how do you beat Portland in three years?"

Well, oh spotted dog, you probably don't. By that time Dirk will be 33, and if you haven't got you championship in the next 3 years with that team, then it's probably too late.
This is why I think the Mavs have to make some hard but "correct" choices/changes right now.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:52 PM   #14
argo

SS, how about if you send Damp to Indy, for Diogu and Dunleavey.
Diogu can be your low post scorer much cheaper than Zach and Dunleavey is overpaid but he is a good passer.

Indy might do this for salary cap reasons plus Damp can help out O'Neal much better than Foster or Harrison or even Murphy. Because he can bang down low, something they really don't have yet they can go small with Murphy if needed...

You might be able to get Diogu for the TE and two second picks. Right now Indy has O'Neal, Troy, Diogu, and Shawnee Williams at the four spot...and no draft picks this year

Last edited by argo; 05-23-2007 at 01:53 PM.
Old 05-23-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
dalmations202
Diamond Member

Quote:
You might be able to get Diogu for the TE and two second picks.
I don't see this one happening, but if you could, then I say go for it.

Old 05-23-2007, 07:43 PM   #16
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

Argo, I'd go for that in a second, but I think it's a reach for Indiana.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:45 PM   #17
giantbenmav

giantbenmav is on a distinguished road

Damp is going nowhere ... too much money and way too many years for what he provides ... the one truly tradeable piece we have is Terry, unless it is for a marquee guy and then you are talking Harris / Howard ... if we dump Damp, then we are getting a similar situation back, and I would probably prefer Damp over most of that ....

Diogu is nice, but I think you can get similar players to him in this draft (Glenn Davis, Carl Landry, etc ...)

Go MAVS!!!!
giantbenmav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 08:55 PM   #18
StackAttack
Platinum Member

StackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud ofStackAttack has much to be proud of

Kevin Durant's...huge. He's not a 2 guard. If anything, this makes Lewis' departure a sure thing.