Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-07-2007, 12:39 PM   #1
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kerr as GM: 50% chance Marion is traded for salary purposes

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_ar...e_about_50_50/
Source: Marion Trade About 50-50
7th June, 2007 - 12:14 pm

Arizona Republic -
Steve Kerr's first and perhaps biggest assignment as GM of the Suns will be to solve their salary situation.

One team source said it's about 50-50 that Shawn Marion will be traded.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
dirt_dobber
Diamond Member

dirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond reputedirt_dobber has a reputation beyond repute

New GM Kerr not looking to overhaul Suns
By ANDREW BAGNATO, AP Sports Writer
June 6, 2007

PHOENIX (AP) -- Steve Kerr offered a deadpan response to a question about the moves he's planning as the Phoenix Suns' new general manager.

"I'm going to shop (Steve) Nash immediately," he said, bringing a roar of laughter from the media and team officials attending his introductory news conference at U.S. Airways Center on Wednesday.
When the laughter subsided, Kerr said he plans to tweak the Suns, not tear them apart.

"We've had a great team for three years," said Kerr, who agreed to a three-year contract. "This is not something that needs an overhaul."

The 41-year-old Kerr will take the general manager duties from coach Mike D'Antoni, who had added the responsibilities after Bryan Colangelo left for Toronto in February 2006.

"This is the best of all things that could happen for me," D'Antoni said.

Kerr's hiring was made official Wednesday. But it has been in the works since managing partner Robert Sarver bought the club three years ago.

Sarver had University of Arizona season tickets when Kerr helped lead the Wildcats to their first Final Four in 1988. When Sarver was looking into buying the Suns, Arizona coach Lute Olson introduced him to Kerr, who helped make introductions within the NBA and eventually became an investor in Sarver's group.

"This wasn't a case where I'm coming in cold turkey and trying to figure out what's going on," Kerr said. "I know pretty well what's going on, and I'm very comfortable with it. I love the style of play. I love Mike's coaching abilities. I love the players. It's an incredibly talented group."

The Suns have two first-round picks and a second-rounder in the upcoming NBA draft, and Kerr said "we anticipate using those picks."

Kerr spent 15 seasons as a guard in the NBA, winning three titles with the Chicago Bulls and two more with the San Antonio Spurs. Kerr, who retired as a player in 2003, holds the record for career 3-point field goal percentage (.454, 726-of-1,599).

Kerr has spent the last four years as a television analyst. But Sarver said Kerr's lack of front-office experience won't slow him.

"Steve has been successful at everything he's done," Sarver said. "He's a winner. He's a champion."

Kerr said he expects to rely heavily on David Griffin, who on Wednesday added the word "senior" to his title of vice president of basketball operations. Griffin, a Phoenix native who has been with the club since 1993, recently turned down an offer to become general manager of the Memphis Grizzlies.

Kerr called the Suns "very, very close to a championship but not quite there. One of the things that was really attractive to me about the job was the fact that I'm not coming in and trying to rebuild something that's on the ground."

D'Antoni said he didn't expect Kerr to change the Suns' up-tempo style, which has made them popular among fans but has yet to produce an NBA title.

"It would have been changed a long time ago if he didn't like it," D'Antoni said.

Kerr's wife, Margot, and their three children will remain in the family's home in San Diego. He said he'll have a home in Phoenix and spend "the majority" of his time there.

"We've moved so often, it's difficult to bounce everybody around," Kerr said. "We just felt like this is probably best, to keep them there. Obviously, the proximity from San Diego to Phoenix makes it feasible."

For Kerr, the general manager job completes a journey that began in 1988, when the Suns drafted him in the second round, 50th overall.

"I was thinking this morning on my way over here, 19 years ago I was drafted by Jerry (Colangelo) and Cotton Fitzsimmons and brought up the road from the U. of A.," Kerr said. "I don't know that I ever would have thought I would be sitting in this chair back then."

Kerr averaged 2.1 points in 26 games with Phoenix in 1988-89.

"I hope I can make a little more of an impact than I did in my 26-game stint with the Suns 19 years ago," he said.
dirt_dobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

translation:
it is essentially guaranteed that marion will be gone this summer.

there's no way this info would legitimately leak to the media. there's most definitely some spin control so as not to devalue Marion in a trade. no competent gm would ever give real odds on something like this, and they would definitely not risk pissing off an allstar that they have any real intention of keeping.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 08:51 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

i knew it
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 05:56 AM   #5
Gaddabout

Gaddabout is on a distinguished road

Do I get to say "I told you so"?
Gaddabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #6
Flacolaco
Rooting for the laundry

Flacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond reputeFlacolaco has a reputation beyond repute

Kerr signs a 3 year deal

Nash has 3 years of usefullness left

They're definitely putting all their eggs in their basket for 3 years. I can't wait to see what they do with Amare and a bag of nothing in 3 years after they don't win one.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:54 PM   #7
Dirkadirkastan
Diamond Member

Dirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond reputeDirkadirkastan has a reputation beyond repute

What could possibly serve as a worthy substitute for Steve Wonders?
Dirkadirkastan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
V2M
Diamond Member

V2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to beholdV2M is a splendid one to behold

^ How about 'Steve Wonders in PHX':

1. If Marion needs to go...
2. If Nash is too old...
3. If Amare needs a new nickname...
4. If D'Antoni will ever start coaching...

Last edited by V2M; 06-12-2007 at 06:28 PM.
V2M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #9
sike
The Preacha

sike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond reputesike has a reputation beyond repute

Marion is so a product of that System and Nash...

what might come back in a Marion trade?

ok, we've talked about the problem of evil, and the extent of the atonement's application, but my real question to you is, "Could Jesus dunk?"
sike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:41 PM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

aren't they looking to dump salary? so nothing.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 07:57 PM   #11
EricaLubarsky
Inactive.

EricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond reputeEricaLubarsky has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sike
Marion is so a product of that System and Nash...

what might come back in a Marion trade?
the guy is better than the Suns system. He's just a cleanup guy for them.
EricaLubarsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2007, 10:15 PM   #12
Dirkgreatness
Platinum Member

Dirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to beholdDirkgreatness is a splendid one to behold

Marion was offered to the Pistons

You can check here its titled "Joe Dumars calls Mike and Terry 6/12"

Suns wanted 2 starters and 15 and 27 picks for marion.

Dang, Kerr is HIGH!!