Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 08-30-2004, 03:39 AM   #161
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold
Default RE:Ginobili

MFF you are right about age being a factor. I think there are GM´s and fans who would pick a 27 year old Fin over a 27 year old Manu. Depends on the way the team is build and who the GM thinks might be a better fit and might have a better chance to help the team. But that´s just speculation anyways, and IMO it doesn´t make much sense to talk about stuff like that. So I agree that this is not a strong point for hitman.

I think I said earlier in this thread that it´s kinda difficult to compare the two cause they are different kind of players IMO. Manu is multidimensional while Fin is and was a bit limited in his game (at least that´s how I see them). I still like Fins game though and I like watching him play.

But I´m a huge fan of the international game. I think the way the rules are it gives the most skilled players a chance to shine (skill being defined as the ability to play the game as a team and make your teammates better). The NBA favors superior physical gifts by allowing teams to run one on one or two on two isos and by disallowing affective zones. It´s not black and white though and I think the NBA is headed in the right direction after recent rule changes. I think it´s kinda comical that someone like Luis Scola from Argentina actually looked better in Athens then the supposed best player in the world TD. Kind of makes me wonedr about the NBA, it´s rules and officiating (star system).

To make it short. Manu is the prototype of players that play the game the way I like it. He really shines in international competition because his skills are idealy suited for that kind of game. That´s not even the discussion anymore about who of the two is a better player. I just value the way Manu plays higher then the way Fin plays (even though Fin is far from being an egomaniac, me first jackass, that´s why I actually like him too, and I think he would have helped team USA alot). Ultimately I hope that players like Dirk, Arroyo, Manu, Peja, Yao and many others will help transforming the NBA game even more towards the international style of ball.

Bill Simmons even suggested in one of his collumns that the NBA should adobt international rules cause he also likes their affects on gameplay. Sure the US players would need to adapt and it could be difficult for a while, but in the end it would force young highschool players to work on fundamental skills again, so not only international players would benefit from such rule changes but US Baketball as well. I think the product (NBA) would be a much better one in a couple years. And it´s kind of a logical developement with the NBA becoming more and more international anyways, why not adjust the rules too?
Fidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-2004, 06:42 AM   #162
OzMavs
Platinum Member

OzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud ofOzMavs has much to be proud of
Default RE: Ginobili

It has been a great read to go through this thread and see the points for an and against each of Finley and Ginobili. Without seeing it all laid about before me, I would have said Ginobili, hands down.

But it's not that easy. I have come around to recognise that while Ginobili may have the edge now, you have to marvel at Finley and therefore, overall, I would say that Finley is better. Potential is a dirty word. Ginobili has the potential to overtake Finley, but I think he needs to make some improvements. If the NBA game is to become more international, you would have to say that someone like Ginobili has had a more profound effect on the NBA game than stats can draw out. But, if you were choosing a player to play for your life, choose Finley. If you were choosing a player to play as part of a team to play for your life, choose Ginobili. In the star-studded world of the NBA and the orientation of play within the NBA, I think Finley stands alone in this comparison.

I'll buy you a drink: HERE

NOW WITH FREE REP WITH EVERY DRINK!!
OzMavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2004, 11:25 PM   #163
Fidel
Diamond Member

Fidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to beholdFidel is a splendid one to behold

Manu had a nice start this season. Through 6 games he´s averaging:

20.5 pts
6.0 rb
5.0 ast
3.0 stl
3.3 to (still a downside to his game, but he´s agressive so it´s explainable)
54% FG
50% 3pt
83% FT

And those stats did look even better before tonights win against Atlanta were none of the starters got more than 34 mins. Before this game he lead the Spurs in Points, Steals and FG, 3pt and FT %. Don´t know how this looks right now cause I only calculated Manus stats through six games. Overall pretty imprssive stats for the third year player. All numbers are up significantly from last season, especially scoring and shooting percentages.
Old 11-14-2004, 04:25 AM   #164
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

The guy is awesome, and anyone who understands hoops realizes it.

Hei is a difference maker and one of the top 20 players in the leauge. Maybe top 10.

I LOVE the Dallas Mavericks, and I will root for Fin when he goes against him, but....

Manu is in a different league than Finley is right now.

AND, I think that Manu RIGHT NOW, is better than Finley at his peak, for all the reasons mentioned above.

Manu does NOT need plays run for him...he scores, he rebounds, he defends, and he passes.

Pop does not need to call a clear out for Manu when the better option is, clearly, to drop it in to Tim.

And yes, MaxPower...that is only my "opinion."

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:19 PM   #165
Hitman
Golden Member

Hitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to allHitman is a name known to all

Ok, quick poll -- all of the Finley lovers from the summer --

who is better now, Finley...or Manu?

Put Your Brand On Everyone's Lips: http://www.java-ads.com
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 02:26 PM   #166
aexchange
Boom goes the Dynamite!

aexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant futureaexchange has a brilliant future

manu is still better than finley.

can we trade crackhouse for manu? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]
aexchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2005, 04:40 PM   #167
dirno2000
Diamond Member

dirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond reputedirno2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally posted by: Hitman
Ok, quick poll -- all of the Finley lovers from the summer --

who is better now, Finley...or Manu?
Like I said:

"Now, if the Manu camp wants to bump this thread every summer, eventually Manu will probably pass Finley."

...common sense
Old 03-06-2005, 09:40 PM   #168
TVI

TVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to allTVI is a name known to all

Ginobili really stepped up tonight when Duncan went down with an ankle sprain (31 pts, 8 rbs, 7 ast).

7-11 FG
3-4 3FG
14-15 FT
Old 05-24-2005, 09:00 PM   #169
Bayliss

Bayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond reputeBayliss has a reputation beyond repute

Manu is becoming a great second fiddle. Manu literally takes over when Duncan doesn't have it. This is not a debate anymore.
Bayliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 09:11 PM   #170
dude1394
Guru

dude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond reputedude1394 has a reputation beyond repute

Also notice that popovich continues to use 8 players while the suns use only 6. Wish AJ could have been confident enough to use some extra players. Phil Jackzen I think said that fatigue makes cowards of us all, we looked like we faded down the stretch.
"Yankees fans who say “flags fly forever’’ are right, you never lose that. It reinforces all the good things about being a fan. ... It’s black and white. You (the Mavs) won a title. That’s it and no one can say s--- about it.’’
dude1394 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:25 PM   #171
poohrichardson

poohrichardson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by: Bayliss
Manu is becoming a great second fiddle. Manu literally takes over when Duncan doesn't have it. This is not a debate anymore.
I never really thought it was.. 02-03 Finley was a better player, but hasn't been from 03-04 to the current.. and he won't ever be again. Won't come close.

And Mike's one of my favorite players.
poohrichardson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 11:07 PM   #172
Fidel
Diamond Member

Seeing how the Spurs got carried by Parker and Ginobili the whole night which in the end got Fin a ring too, I just had to bump this thread.
Old 06-15-2007, 05:34 AM   #173
rmacomic
Platinum Member

rmacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond reputermacomic has a reputation beyond repute

Is there any way to un-bump a thread?