Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 06-17-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future
Default Spurs' roster may stay intact for another title run

Spurs' roster may stay intact for another title run

Web Posted: 06/17/2007 02:18 AM CDT

Johnny Ludden
Express-News

The Spurs cleaned out their lockers Saturday afternoon, one final bit of housekeeping before they share the franchise's fourth championship with more than 200,000 of their closest friends. They have tonight's river parade to look forward to, as well as Tony Parker's wedding in France in three weeks, then they will scatter to vacation with family and friends. The Spurs likely won't gather again en masse until they return to their practice facility in three months to begin preparing for their title defense. Most of the nameplates in the locker room likely will read the same as they did Saturday.

The Spurs don't plan to overhaul their roster as much as tweak it. With Tim Duncan healthy again, Parker having just carried home the NBA Finals MVP trophy and Manu Ginobili still playing his best in the biggest moments, Spurs chairman Peter Holt said he would like to keep the team intact as much as possible.

"What I saw happen in Chicago taught me a lot of things," Holt said, referencing the former Bulls' dynasty. "Why do you dismantle a team? I don't get it. It's so hard."

The Spurs might not have to do much retooling this summer. Jacque Vaughn, Matt Bonner and Melvin Ely are the only certain free agents, though Michael Finley and Fabricio Oberto could join them if they decide to opt out of their contracts.

The contracts of Bruce Bowen and Robert Horry aren't fully guaranteed yet, but that seems to be a mere formality. Horry, who turns 37 in August, has already said he wants to put off his retirement plans to return for one more season, and Holt and coach Gregg Popovich both sounded like they want him back.
"Robert Horry has been a wonderful Spur," Popovich said, "and hopefully, that will continue."

For now, Finley appears to be the team's biggest wild card. He said he has yet to decide whether to opt out of the final $3.1 million of his contract to test the free-agent market.

While Finley has relished his time with the Spurs — he plans to celebrate the first championship of his career by not sleeping until after Parker's wedding — it might behoove him to seek one final multiyear contract while his stock is valued after a successful playoff run.

"I'm not going to stress out on the decision," Finley said. "I'm still going to enjoy this. No matter what happens, I'll still be considered a champion."
Oberto has to make the same decision. He might be able to get a multiyear deal from another team, but the opportunity to continue playing alongside Ginobili and help him defend the championship also is strong incentive to stay.

If Finley and Oberto come back, the biggest holes could be in the team's front office and coaching staffs. Spurs general manager R.C. Buford has interviewed Houston vice president of basketball operations Dennis Lindsey for the assistant general manager job that became open when Sam Presti left to run the Seattle SuperSonics.

Spurs officials also are bracing for the possibility of losing assistant coach P.J. Carlesimo, who appears to be the frontrunner to become Seattle's head coach.
"R.C. and I always keep lists on who the new head coach should be, who the new GM should be, who the assistant GM should be, who the new assistant coach should be and who the new scout should be, the new film guy," Popovich said. "We have lists for everything."

The Spurs were criticized early in the season for not doing enough to make their roster younger. While Popovich dismissed the criticism, he said Saturday team officials also can't ignore the franchise's future.

"If we kept this same team, at some point, it will be too old and unathletic," Popovich said. "It's difficult to find out exactly when is that point. If you don't do some things in a proactive manner, then all of a sudden, you're too darn old, and you waited too long."

The Spurs will continue their search to find an athletic swingman, preferably someone big enough to play either forward position against teams that play small.

James White, who showed some potential late in the season, will make his bid to stay with the team during the summer league in Las Vegas. The Spurs also will have three picks (Nos. 28, 33 and 58) in the June 28 draft, as well as the $5 million midlevel exception to use to fill needs.

Team officials will evaluate Ian Mahinmi, their 2005 first-round pick, in the summer leagues to determine whether he is worthy of a roster spot next season. They also have the rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola, who remains one of the best players in Europe, but they might not have room for him if Oberto and Horry return.

"We're accused of being too old, yet we seem to always be there," Holt said. "That's because R.C. particularly is so good at bringing in that right mix of players, and Pop is so good at managing their minutes. I'm damn glad we have Robert Horry and Finley and Bowen and (Brent) Barry and those kind of guys."
Holt also is particularly happy to have Duncan, which is why the team is expected to discuss offering him a two-year extension that will approach $50 million. Signing an extension would prevent Duncan from opting out of his contract after next season and keep him with the team through 2011-12.
"I want Tim to stay here as long as Tim wants to stay here," Holt said. "I mean that sincerely. Just like David (Robinson). I want him to retire with us."

Duncan said before the Finals he hopes to play as long as possible and appears to be willing to at least discuss such a deal.

"The flame has certainly not burned out for Tim," Popovich said. "He is just as competitive as he was the day he came in.

"In a way, we enjoyed this (championship) together more than the previous ones because as you go through it, you realize how hard it is, how many things have to go your way, and the fact that it happened again just stuns us both."

Duncan's agent, Lon Babby, also represents Bowen, who could seek his own extension this summer. Bowen is coming off a season in which his defense on LeBron James in the Finals was a significant factor in the Spurs' success.
But the Spurs also currently have only Duncan, Ginobili and Parker under contract after next season and could want to keep that flexibility.

"I don't know what's going to happen," Parker said, "but we're definitely going to be right there every year, at least for the next two or three years."

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/b...n.35d986a.html

Maybe we are able to get Oberto, if he opts out. He could play as a backup for Dirk and can be used as center against faster playing teams. He is a good post up player I think (56,2% FG´s), a rebounder and can play defense.

Any thoughts?

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Dr.Zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2007, 01:31 PM   #2
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

I doubt Oberto opts out unless it's to sign a longer deal in SA. He likes it there, he's the starting center there, his Argentinian buddy Manu is there. I suppose if he opted out and Dallas threw a bunch of money at him he'd have something to think about, but you'd definitely have to overpay to pry him out of San Antonio.
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
DubOverdose
Diamond Member

DubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant futureDubOverdose has a brilliant future

I'd be for Oberto. Finley off the bench for some outside shooting.
DubOverdose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

The mavs can't sign Finley until his contract runs out. That was part of the Amnesty rule.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:30 PM   #5
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

Dr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant futureDr.Zoidberg has a brilliant future

Perhaps it´s possible to prey him away with some cash and Mbenga, as we know the Spurs like DJ. But I don´t know if they still like him after the injury. I think Oberto is definitely worth a try.

"Talk to the claw."

"They're getting 15, 16 assists some games. I dream about getting 15 assists. It's just not possible with the team I'm on." - Devin Harris about top-notch point guards and him playing with the Mavs

"For me, it’s like a kid in a candy store." - Jason Kidd on playing with the Mavs
Old 06-17-2007, 02:42 PM   #6
DelNegro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Zoidberg
Perhaps it´s possible to prey him away with some cash and Mbenga, as we know the Spurs like DJ. But I don´t know if they still like him after the injury. I think Oberto is definitely worth a try.
As a Spurs fan I can assure you we don't like DJ Mbenga as much as Oberto.

Last edited by DelNegro; 06-17-2007 at 02:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2007, 02:55 PM   #7
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

The Spurs only don´t know it as yet how much they like Mbenga.

"Talk to the claw."

Old 06-17-2007, 03:37 PM   #8
Windmill360
Diamond Member

Windmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond reputeWindmill360 has a reputation beyond repute

We don't want any.
Old 06-17-2007, 04:09 PM   #9
Dr.Zoidberg
Diamond Member

You mean the royal "we" ...

"Talk to the claw."