Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 08-25-2007, 08:49 PM   #1
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all
Default One more ...

Dallas Trades

Jason Terry
Erick Dampier
Josh Howard

and a 1st rounder

to Indiana for

Jermaine O´Neal
Jamaal Tinsley
Danny Granger

Indiana after:

Damp, Foster, Harrison
Murphy, Diogu, Baston
Josh Howard, Rawle Marshall, Shawne Williams
Mike Dunleavy, Kareem Rush, Quis Daniels
Jason Terry, Travis Diener, Darrell Armstrong

Dallas after

Jermaine O´Neal, DeSagana Diop, DJ Benga
Dirk Nowitzki, Bass, Fazekas
Danny Granger, Devean George
Jerry Stackhouse, Eddie Jones, Buckner, Ager
Devin Harris, Jamaal Tinsley, JJB
Old 08-25-2007, 09:01 PM   #2
chumdawg
Guru

chumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond reputechumdawg has a reputation beyond repute

It's intriguing. Actually seems to make some sense for both teams.
chumdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:20 PM   #3
cruel_summer

cruel_summer has a spectacular aura aboutcruel_summer has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
Dallas Trades

Jason Terry
Erick Dampier
Josh Howard

and a 1st rounder

to Indiana for

Jermaine O´Neal
Jamaal Tinsley
Danny Granger

Indiana after:

Damp, Foster, Harrison
Murphy, Diogu, Baston
Josh Howard, Rawle Marshall, Shawne Williams
Mike Dunleavy, Kareem Rush, Quis Daniels
Jason Terry, Travis Diener, Darrell Armstrong

Dallas after

Jermaine O´Neal, DeSagana Diop, DJ Benga
Dirk Nowitzki, Bass, Fazekas
Danny Granger, Devean George
Jerry Stackhouse, Eddie Jones, Buckner, Ager
Devin Harris, Jamaal Tinsley, JJB
Indy would never do this. Terry/Dunleavy would be the worst defensive backcourt ever. JO is the best player in the deal and Indy gets stuck with the two worst contracts. For them to consider something like this they would insist on keeping Granger and making us take Dunleavy.
cruel_summer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
SeriousSummer
Golden Member

SeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant futureSeriousSummer has a brilliant future

According to Real GM, it doesn't work with Dunleavy, and I couldn't find a way tino make it work.

I think Indiana would do it if Dallas's draft choice promised to be better. Maybe offer a first round pick in 2008 and 2010 and that would get it done.
SeriousSummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

This one makes perfect sense, IMO for Dallas, but I would bet Dallas would be the one that backs out.

The three chosen are absolutely loved by mgmt.

From a pieces fit though, barring injury -- I think Dallas would be dominant. They could play any style of run and gun to half court deliberate. They could defend everywhere. They could have offense at every position, or defense at every position, and both offense and defense at every position most of the time.

I don't know what else Dallas would have to do to sweeten the pot, (because Indy does take the worse contracts), but this would be one that IMO I would be telling Donnie -- get 'er done. If Dallas needed to add $3M, a future draft pick, and/or Ager, Fazekas, RTerry, DJ, Bass, or Buck --- I'd still do it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 08:46 PM   #6
craggmac
Golden Member

craggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud ofcraggmac has much to be proud of

I would like the trade if you scratched Josh Howard and Danny Granger off the list

Last edited by craggmac; 08-26-2007 at 08:46 PM.
craggmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:48 PM   #7
randyman

randyman will become famous soon enough

how about this?

Dallas/Lakers trade

Devin, Jet, and Josh

for

Kobe and Sasha Vujacic

New rosters:

Lakers

1 - Devin Harris, Derek Fisher, Jordan Farmar
2 - Josh Howard, Jason Terry, Coby Karl
3 - Luke Walton, Vladimir Radmanovic, Maurice Evans
4 - Lamar Odom, Kwame Brown, Ronny Turiaf
5 - Andrew Bynum, Chris Mihm, Larry Turner

Mavs

1 - Sasha Vujacic, Jose Barea
2 - Kobe Bryant, Eddie Jones, Moe Ager, Greg Buckner
3 - Devean George, Jerry Stackhouse
4 - Dirk Nowitzki, Chris Webber?, Brandon Bass
5 - Erick Dampier, Gana Diop, DJ Mbenga

I like Sasha's game and I think he could develop into a really nice point guard...especially since he is listed at 6'6" and likes to play defense. I believe Jose can be a backup PG this year.

There would be no need to trade centers.

It would be nice to get Chris Webber or PJ Brown for the backup PF.

We would be thin at the PG and would need more athleticism at the SF but with Kobe and Dirk together on the same team we would probably get the pick of free agents next year. We would be solid at the Center, PF, SF, and SG and at least serviceable at the PG. With Kobe being our "clutch" guy we can go all the way this year and get even stronger over the next 2 to 4 years.

I would think the Lakers would be happy with this trade. They would have an excellent starting 5 and have Jason Terry as their 6th man to bring some serious scoring punch off the bench. They would be at least 10 deep but would not have superstar. However, they would have several players who would be at allstar or near allstar ability.

If the Lakers would pull the trigger now instead of later they could get more for Kobe...if the situation sours in LA like it did in Minnesota for KG they won't be able to get as much and they may have to look at more of a rebuilding type phase. If they do this trade they will absolutely be able to advance into at least the second round of the playoffs.

The numbers work and I think that the Lakers would be willling to take on the contracts because of the sheer amount of talent they would be getting back.
randyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:56 PM   #8
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Oneal/Granger/Tinsley > Terry/Howard/Dampier

I would definitely do this trade though

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:07 PM   #9
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby

ditto.

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
ty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 03:16 PM   #10
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

I just think the contracts of JET and Dampier are too big of a turnoff for other GMs around the League

Contact Me
Old 08-28-2007, 03:22 PM   #11
ty
Diamond Member

ty has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond reputety has a reputation beyond repute

It's a big load to take up =/

"I still go through it in my head," Nowitzki said. "One of my last nights in Germany [last month], I was trying to go to sleep, but I couldn't. I was thinking about the free throw I missed [late in Game 3], about different situations that happened in that series. I'll never forget it. It's going to stay in my mind until we win it all."
Old 08-28-2007, 05:34 PM   #12
randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
I just think the contracts of JET and Dampier are too big of a turnoff for other GMs around the League
Especially at their ages. A Devin, Josh, and JET package would be an easier sell because of the youth, talent, and athleticism the Lakers would receive. Yeah, we would be giving up alot but we would get the best player possible to go along with Dirk. It would be an acceptable sacrifice. Don't get me wrong...I would love to have O'Neal on the team with Dirk. But if Kobe decides not to stay in LA I just think that a trade for Kobe would make more sense and I also think that it is a more likely scenario that Kobe demands a trade before O'Neal does.
Old 08-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #13
alby
Guru

That is why even IF the Maverick's front office tried to move Jason Terry this offseason, it was probably too difficult to do so

Contact Me
Old 08-28-2007, 10:48 PM   #14
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
how about this?

Dallas/Lakers trade

Devin, Jet, and Josh

for

Kobe and Sasha Vujacic
No way. The Mavs win on talent. But Vujacic is not a point guard. Vujaci/Barea at the point is a nightmare.
If the lakers would throw in Farmar, then I woud like the deal maybe. But we can't lose both Devin and Jet and not get back someone who can play PG.

Quote:

I think that would be an amazing deal for the Mavs. But I can't see Indiana going for it.
Old 08-29-2007, 02:17 PM   #15
randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevinFuture
No way. The Mavs win on talent. But Vujacic is not a point guard. Vujaci/Barea at the point is a nightmare.
If the lakers would throw in Farmar, then I woud like the deal maybe. But we can't lose both Devin and Jet and not get back someone who can play PG.

I think that would be an amazing deal for the Mavs. But I can't see Indiana going for it.

I totally agree with this. I just figured if Kobe comes available and a deal like this could happen you just do it to get him on your team with Dirk and then figure out the pg situation on the fly. I'm sure Donnie could figure something out. I hear Gary Payton is available...we might even be able to trade for Tyronn Lue. Plus when I looked up Vujacic on Hoopshype it labelled him a pg and the scouting report said he had good playmaking and ballhandling skills...and an excellent feel for the game, and that he puts alot of effort into the defensive end. At 6'6" it seems he might be a decent project for Avery. If Kobe does demand a trade I think Detroit and Dallas are the only teams that could be a partner with LA for the trade as far as matching up salary with talent. I figured if LA traded Kobe away they would want quality backcourt people since they are already at least 2 deep at the SF, PF, and center positions.

So, if they would trade with Detroit they would probably have to trade Chauncey and Rip to make the numbers and talent mix work. If LA went with Detroit they would send Kobe to the Eastern Conference but would only get 2 quality players. If they went with Dallas they would be trading with a Western Conference team which I would assume would be less preferable but they would get 3 quality players instead. Besides they already traded a big name player to the east and didn't get back nearly the talent they could get from Dallas on this deal so dumping Kobe in the east may not be as big a deal this time around.

Actually come to think of it...I'm not sure Kobe would agree to go to Detroit...Adding Kobe to that mix without chauncey and rip might not be that much better than what he has now. There are alot of teams out there that might be able to trade the right amount of talent with the money but they would totally deplete themselves in the process and Kobe would not go to them. I really think Dallas is the best trading partner with LA.

Last edited by randyman; 08-29-2007 at 03:16 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:50 AM   #16
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

seelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to allseelenjaeger is a name known to all

We could have Kobe play the PG. Period. But I still prefer the Indiana Deal...
Old 08-30-2007, 12:12 PM   #17
randyman

I would take the Indiana deal as well. But JET will be 30 by the time the season starts and Damp is 32 right now and they have over 90 million in contracts between them. Even if Indiana decides to blow up the team and get rid of O'Neal there is no way they would partner with Dallas on this deal. They would definitely look to go younger and reduce payroll. Especially after taking on about 80 million in payroll on Murphy and Dunleavy. But then again...they did a major bonehead move doing that, maybe there up for one more.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:20 PM   #18
ty
Diamond Member

Getting Kobe for any three players except Dirk is a bargain.

Old 08-30-2007, 05:00 PM   #19
DevinFuture

DevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of lightDevinFuture is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty
Getting Kobe for any three players except Dirk is a bargain.
The more I think about it the more I am inclined to agree. There would have to be some way to get a serviceable point guard to go along with what we had left.
Old 08-30-2007, 06:06 PM   #20
seelenjaeger
Diamond Member

Like I said, let Kobe handle the point, I´m pretty sure it works fine with guys like Eddie Jones, Stackhouse, Dirk and a center around. And he´ll demand to touch the ball on almost every possession anyways.

So we´d just need a backup PG for 10-15 mins a game.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:49 PM   #21
randyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by seelenjaeger
Like I said, let Kobe handle the point, I´m pretty sure it works fine with guys like Eddie Jones, Stackhouse, Dirk and a center around. And he´ll demand to touch the ball on almost every possession anyways.

So we´d just need a backup PG for 10-15 mins a game.

So then it would be:

1 - Kobe Bryant, Vujacic/free agent, Barea
2 - Eddie Jones, Moe Ager, Greg Buckner
3 - Devean George, Jerry Stackhouse, Brandon Bass
4 - Dirk Nowitzki, Webber/PJ Brown, Fazekas
5 - Erick Dampier, Gana Diop, DJ Mbenga

You could win some games like that. I would still have Stack come off the bench. If Eddie can still D up we could shut some people down defensively...especially the elite perimeter players...Kobe totally shut down Barbosa the other day and he may be the quickest guy in the league.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:51 AM   #22
randyman

Just listened to a Phil Jackson interview and he said Kobe can come back to the Lakers and be a part of the team but there would have to be some mending and that he (Phil) would have to be a part of it. Wow I hope that fails and he comes to Dallas. If he does demand a trade I wonder if playing with Dirk would be something he would like to do?
Old 09-06-2007, 02:14 AM   #23
mavspwnage
Golden Member

mavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant futuremavspwnage has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by randyman
Just listened to a Phil Jackson interview and he said Kobe can come back to the Lakers and be a part of the team but there would have to be some mending and that he (Phil) would have to be a part of it. Wow I hope that fails and he comes to Dallas. If he does demand a trade I wonder if playing with Dirk would be something he would like to do?
only if he realizes his scoring average would drop and he would be passing a lot more.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:29 AM   #24
alby
Guru

kobe/dirk = do it.

Contact Me
Old 09-06-2007, 02:21 PM   #25
ty
Diamond Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavspwnage
only if he realizes his scoring average would drop and he would be passing a lot more.
You definitely have not been watching Team USA basketball. =X

Last edited by ty; 09-06-2007 at 02:21 PM.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:29 PM   #26
thereaper

thereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to allthereaper is a name known to all

Yup, Kidd and Kobe have made all the difference in Team USA.
thereaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:08 PM   #27
randyman

Since Kobe and Dirk would be 2 incredible perimeter players (offensively speaking) if we had just one guy who had SOME post game that guy would average 20 a night minimum. Defenses would be so geared toward stopping Dirk and Kobe the guy in the middle would only have to worry about one defender. If they got bothered because they were both being double-teamed they could quickly dump it inside for an easier than usual 2. If Chris Webber or PJ Brown were on the team with Dirk and Kobe they would say they had found the fountain of youth because they would average 20 and 10. Damp might even have a shot at this...even Diop might start averaging double digit scoring figures.

Plus, since most of the defenders would be gravitating toward the perimeter our post players would be averaging more offensive rebounds.