Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Trade and Draft Board

Old 11-28-2007, 09:37 AM   #1
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Dal/Sac

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Change in Team Outlook: +12.1 ppg, +6.0 rpg, and +3.8 apg.
Incoming Players
Beno Udrih
6-3 PG from Slovenia (Foreign)
12.9 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.9 apg in 31.0 minutes
Mikki Moore
7-0 C from Nebraska
6.4 ppg, 4.6 rpg, 0.6 apg in 25.6 minutes
Ron Artest
6-7 SF from St. John's
21.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 4.0 apg in 40.8 minutes
Outgoing Players
Brandon Bass
6-8 PF from Lousiana State
9.5 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 0.7 apg in 21.8 minutes
Maurice Ager
6-5 SG from Michigan State
2.1 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 0.4 apg in 8.7 minutes
Devean George
6-8 SF from Augsburg-MN
No games yet played in 2007/08
Jason Terry
6-2 PG from Arizona
17.4 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 3.6 apg in 30.3 minutes

Would Dallas or Sacramento do this?

Dallas would get Artest basically for Terry. Artest would start and handle the inside scoring, plus play D. Harris, Howard, Artest, Dirk, Diop -- very good starting 5. Moore could provide energy and rebounding, and Udrich would be the backup PG with JJB, but having a little more size.

Sacramento would cut payroll dramatically, and have a true shooter to pair with Martin. Bibby, Martin, Terry would be a good guard combo. Salmons has played well in Artest absence, and George would provide good SF backup (if healthy). Bass could develop then. The biggest reason for the trade would be that three of the four contracts can be up at the end of the year, saving $$$.

Would either team do this? Would it put Dallas over the top?

Harris, Udrich, JJB
Howard, Hassell, Jones
Artest, Stack
Nowitzki, Moore, Ju Howard
Diop, Damp

If Everyone is healthy, JuHoward becomes a scratch. Dallas should have better defense, and better offense, and when Jones, Ju Howard retire next year -- no big issue to replace with Fazekas, and a draft pick.

Small ball could be Moore, Dirk, Artest, Howard, Harris.

eh, just a thought. It couldn't happen till Dec 15 anyway.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-28-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
muzak

muzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of lightmuzak is a glorious beacon of light

interesting. i'd probably say pull the trigger, but i don't care much for Artest on a personal level.

i know just last season, he beat his wife and was fined for mistreating, neglecting, and malnourishing his dog. as a huge dog lover, i'd surely have to bite my tounge.
muzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 10:27 AM   #3
DelNegro

DelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to allDelNegro is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalmations202
Sacramento would cut payroll dramatically, and have a true shooter to pair with Martin. Bibby, Martin, Terry would be a good guard combo. Salmons has played well in Artest absence, and George would provide good SF backup (if healthy). Bass could develop then. The biggest reason for the trade would be that three of the four contracts can be up at the end of the year, saving $$$.
Terry has 5 yrs & $49 mil left on his deal.

Artest has 2 and $15. Moore has 2 & $11, with a 3rd year non-guaranteed. Beno is making league min.

Sure, the Kings would come out a couple mil ahead on next year's payroll, but that's just a one time savings. I doubt they'd be excited about carrying Jason Terry's bloated contract for 3 more years after that.

From the mavs end, do you really want to put the Artest powder keg in your locker room?
DelNegro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2007, 11:00 AM   #4
dalmations202
Diamond Member

dalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond reputedalmations202 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelNegro
Terry has 5 yrs & $49 mil left on his deal.

Artest has 2 and $15. Moore has 2 & $11, with a 3rd year non-guaranteed. Beno is making league min.

Sure, the Kings would come out a couple mil ahead on next year's payroll, but that's just a one time savings. I doubt they'd be excited about carrying Jason Terry's bloated contract for 3 more years after that.

From the mavs end, do you really want to put the Artest powder keg in your locker room?
eh, I don't know that I would do the deal. It is just a thought. I think Dallas needs to upgrade their starting 5. IMO, that means a SG, or SF -- and without moving Howard, Harris, or Dirk (Kobe being an exception -- but I don't think he is going anywhere).

After watching Bass move Dirk to the 3 or 5 too many times, I think Dallas could use a SF that can post up, and play tenacious D. Not too many of those out there. Artest makes less than AK47. G Wallace is not an option. I guess they could find a C with some post skills, but they would need to be a top shot-blocker as well, and that limits them greatly.
Duncan, ONeal(s), Yao, Amare -- all max players and untouchable. Not sure I know of another post-skilled big, who can play D.

So I started looking at SF to post-up and play D. AK47 is a max deal guy who is probably not worth max. Artest can D, and post-up, and give you some outside shooting as well. Magette is a slasher, not post-up guy. CharlieV in Mil can't guard the SF. Simmons might be an option, but I don't think his D is that good.

I don't know of many SG's that post up, and I really think Dallas needs an inside threat with their starting 5. Pierce doesn't look an option. Kobe, I don't think is (total exception to most rules).

To put an inside threat on the floor with Dirk, and have the PG be able to get to the rim, would make Dallas --- basically the Spurs on steroids. Spurs have the best inside threat in the game in Duncan, a PG that can slash to the rim at will on most teams, and an excellent slasher/shooter in Ginobili. If Dallas could get the inside threat, they would have and inside out guy in Dirk (who is better than Ginobili), a PG to get to the rim in Harris (who is a better defender than Parker), and darn -- it still comes down to Duncan. Howard would be nastily better than Barry, Finley, and Bowen. Artest or AK47 are the only ones I see that could give fits to Duncan on the inside due to their length, skill, and athletic ability (that might possibly be available).

Anyone else come up with any other names that would start on the Mavs.

The only names I see are (Kobe - different rules), Artest, AK47, and JO. Eliminating max players leaves Artest.

Now two other names I think they should be inquiring about are Bobby Simmons (SF who can post - questionable D though and injury prone), and Channing Frye who looks like is probably the odd man out in Portland.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have". Gerald Ford

"Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty:
soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
-Capt. Bob "Wolf" Johnson
dalmations202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:59 AM   #5
Dirkenstien
Diamond Member

Dirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant futureDirkenstien has a brilliant future

I would absolutely do this deal. Not sure if Sacramento would bite, though.

''Nowitzki'' is a German word that, translated, means, ''Good Lord, doesn't this guy ever miss?''

-Miami paper on Dirk Nowitzki
Dirkenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:37 PM   #6
nowhereman
Diamond Member

nowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond reputenowhereman has a reputation beyond repute

haha.

beano.

p.s. i don't want artest on this team, and i don't want to give up on Bass.

Last edited by nowhereman; 11-29-2007 at 09:38 PM.
nowhereman is offline   Reply With Quote