Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Mavs / NBA > Around the NBA

Old 11-26-2007, 09:37 PM   #1
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute
Default Kiki isn't very smart

How can Dwight NOT be the MVP after 15 games...
and how is Dirk mentioned in front Josh Howard or even Devin Harris?
does he still watch the NBA?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/dailyd...ge=dime-071126

We're roughly one-seventh the way through the NBA season. Here's an early look at Most Valuable Player candidates who have emerged. Of note, my top two picks here square off Tuesday in Boston.

1. Kevin Garnett, Celtics forward -- Right now, the best player on the best team in the league. He's extremely dominant on both ends of the court. Basically a double-double machine (20.9 ppg, 12.7 rpg). What I love about him is he's so unselfish on the offensive and defensive end. He'll clearly look to pass first, and does all the dirty work on the defensive end. It's one thing to be a dominant player on a weak team, but to be a dominant player on a great team, which the Celtics are, that's saying something.
2. LeBron James, Cavs forward -- Getting to the Finals last spring, and playing with great players this summer on Team USA, has clearly helped him. He knows he must often get a triple-double, scoring in the 30s, for his team to win. He's been doing it. He had his fourth-triple double of the season Sunday, and is leading the NBA in scoring at 31.4 ppg, along with getting over eight in both assists and rebounds per game. There's a lot of pressure on him, and he's delivering.
3. Tim Duncan, Spurs forward -- People tend to overlook Duncan till the end of the year. His team has consistently a great record (now 12-2) and he's the dominant player, along with 18.2 ppg.
4. Yao Ming, Rockets center -- Ming has been extremely dominant at his position (22.4 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 2.1 bpg). He's benefited from Rick Adelman's style -- he's much better facing the basket.
5. Steve Nash, Suns guard -- Some people ask what's wrong with the Suns, but they have a great record (11-2), and in my view he's the whole reason that they have it. Still hasn't missed a free throw this year (36-for-36) and is shooting 55 percent from the field.
6. Kobe Bryant, Lakers guard -- Any time he is on the floor you have a chance to win, and the Lakers are still above .500 (7-6) despite losing three straight. Although he missed that late free throw against the Nets on Sunday, he's one of the most clutch players in the game. I don't think he's going anywhere.
7. Dwight Howard, Magic center -- His shoulders alone now seemingly fill the entire lane. He has come into his own as a big-time dominant center, averaging 23.4 ppg, 14.5 rpg and 2.5 bpg for the 12-3 Magic. With Stan Van Gundy doing a great job, I don't see Howard's team dropping off.
8. Chris Paul, Hornets guard -- What elevates his game is that he takes over at the end. That's one big reason New Orleans is off to a great start at 10-5.
9. Carlos Boozer, Jazz forward -- He's emerged as one of the dominant players every night. He's become such a force on both ends of the court -- and he's always been a great rebounder and scorer. He's at 24.2 ppg and 11.5 rpg for a Utah team off to a 10-4 start.
10. Paul Pierce, Celtics forward -- Although Garnett may be the best player on Celtics, The Truth has come through at the end of games and dominates in pressure situations. He leads the team in scoring (22.2) and assists (5.2).

The next group of guys outside top 10 that follow are likely there because their team is struggling. You can expect their status to change.
We would be remiss not mentioning these others off to notable starts. Start with Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki, Baron Davis, Zach Randolph, Tracy McGrady, Michael Redd, Allen Iverson and Jason Kidd. And don't forget about Dwyane Wade and that other big guy in Florida that can still dominate. And there's Chris Kaman and Deron Williams among the players having notable seasons so far.

Former NBA All-Star and ex-Nuggets GM Kiki Vandeweghe is a regular ESPN.com contributor.

Contact Me
Twitter: www.twitter.com/alnguyen84
Facebook: www.facebook.com/alnguyen84

Last edited by alby; 11-26-2007 at 09:39 PM.
alby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-26-2007, 10:11 PM   #2
DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of lightDOMINATOR is a glorious beacon of light

yeah those rankings suck. yao ahead of Dwight is a joke... and im a rockets fan.

i dont like lebron but he should #1 right now... last like 4 games averaging a triple double. with weaker teammates than the other MVP candidates. everyone says suns would suck without nash well think about how bad the cavs are without lebron.
2. Dwight straight up beast.
3. KG great numbers but plays with Pierce/Allen. (if ppl say tmac/yao take away votes from each other how come they overlook KG playing with 2 superstars)
4. Duncan
5. Chris Paul 20ppg, 4.5 rpg, 11apg, 3spg.
6. Tmac rockets lost without him.
7. Kobe
8. Nash
9. Boozer
Old 11-27-2007, 04:17 PM   #3
antoinewalker
Golden Member

antoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the roughantoinewalker is a jewel in the rough

lebron in cleveland is reminding me of kg in minnesota; an amazing player on a terrible team.
antoinewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 05:10 PM   #4
MavsX
Diamond Member

MavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond reputeMavsX has a reputation beyond repute

boring!
MavsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #5
Underdog

Underdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond reputeUnderdog has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by antoinewalker
lebron in cleveland is reminding me of kg in minnesota; an amazing player on a terrible team.

For everyone who wants Kobe here in Dallas, just remember - that's what happens when you break the bank for one player...

These days being a fan is a competition to see who can be the most upset when
your team loses. That proves you love winning more. That's how it works.
Underdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:05 PM   #6
alby
Guru

alby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond reputealby has a reputation beyond repute

Kobe/Dirk is no way Lebron/Cavs

Contact Me
Old 11-29-2007, 03:05 AM   #7
alby
Guru

Dwight Howard with

39 points
16 rebounds
5 blocks

nba league leading 14th win for the Magic

Contact Me
Old 11-29-2007, 08:58 AM   #8
spreedom
Diamond Member

spreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond reputespreedom has a reputation beyond repute

If you ask me, Dwight Howard is by far the most valuable player in the league. LeBron is good, but I would say Howard has a pretty similar supporting cast (and actually, without Rashard Lewis, Howard's team is much worse than the Cavs) and he is just carrying the load defensively for the Magic, not to mention averaging in excess of 23ppg and 15rpg.

Another couple of weeks of play like this (Cavs still sucking and Magic still winning) and it's going to become increasingly obvious.
spreedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2007, 10:12 AM   #9
horse900703
Diamond Member

horse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud ofhorse900703 has much to be proud of

what about dirk???
horse900703 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 12:44 PM   #10
alby
Guru

As of today, Dwight Howard has totaled more dunks than 25 NBA teams.

Contact Me
Old 12-05-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
fluid.forty.one

fluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond reputefluid.forty.one has a reputation beyond repute

Dwight Howard is the MVP by FAR this season. He's just insane.
fluid.forty.one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:30 PM   #12
DirkFTW
Diamond Member

DirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond reputeDirkFTW has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alby
As of today, Dwight Howard has totaled more dunks than 25 NBA teams.
2 points is 2 points, but

Is this ghost ball??

Last edited by DirkFTW; 12-05-2007 at 02:31 PM.
DirkFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 PM   #13
Tokey41
Platinum Member

Tokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to beholdTokey41 is a splendid one to behold

I'm glad Dwight is on my two fantasy teams... and both times I got him with my 2nd pick
Tokey41 is offline   Reply With Quote