Dallas-Mavs.com Forums

Go Back   Dallas-Mavs.com Forums > Everything Else > Other Sports Talk

Old 07-12-2002, 06:04 PM   #1
Drbio
Banned

Drbio is an unknown quantity at this point

Can any of you that are listening to Dallas Talk Radio tell us what they are saying about Cat being traded to the Dodgers?
The Rangers held back Cat in last nights game anticipating a trade and then used him as a pinch runner. There is a lot of buzz going on in LA about Little Cat being traded there today. Have you guys heard anything?
Drbio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-2002, 06:27 PM   #2
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

Rumors are he's headed to LA for the dodgers top 2B prospect Thurston. Reading everything LA fans are saying, it would be a STEAL for us if it does happen.

Website - www.thegamesector.com
Hell bent 100% Texan 'til I die.
LonestarROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 06:28 PM   #3
Drbio
Banned

With Young blocking Thurston, I would hope that we would be getting at least some low level pitching thrown in as well. Otherwise, Cat at 2.3 mil is a bargain.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:32 PM   #4
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

LonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to allLonestarROB is a name known to all

link

Old 07-12-2002, 06:37 PM   #5
Drbio
Banned

Thanks Rob.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:37 PM   #6
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

#5. 2B/SS Joe Thurston

Age 22. 5’11, 175. Bats L.

2001 in Review: Thurston initially struggled with his jump to AA in 2001, but came on strong in the
second half to finish with a very respectable campaign. He had a solid K to BB ratio along with 20
steals and proceeded to tear up the AFL with a .369 batting average.

Hitting: Thurston is what you’d likely expect from most top of the order middle-infield prospects, but
he does possess gap power and can send the ball to all fields, as evident by his 25 doubles. And
while he is aggressive, his strike zone skills are good.

Running and Fielding: Thurston has got plus speed and could steal 30 bases in the majors with his
current tool set. Moving to second base will help him defensively, as he has excellent range and a
good arm, however his hands aren’t considered very good.

2002 in Preview: Managers love this guy due to his hard work and determination. He compares
favorably to where Jimmy Rollins was last season. Thurston will start out at AAA this year and will
likely be the Dodgers starting 2B in 2003.

Old 07-12-2002, 07:14 PM   #7
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

It seems to me the rangers are rather loaded at 2Base, you have young who should be the second baseman for many years and you have a guy like romano who is a second baseman learning to play the outfield.

In all honesty, i LOVE Cat... he's a solid leadoff hitter..

the guy will be around .300 or better for the rest of his career (IMO).

i'd hate to lose cat for another second baseman.... it doesn't seem to fit a need (unless they plan on moving young or thurston sometime).

i don't know.. the rangers have been desperate for a leadoff hitter for awhile, and they found that guy last year.. i hate to see him not here
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2002, 08:40 PM   #8
Drbio
Banned

my point exactly. We need pitching prospects for Cat.
Old 07-13-2002, 11:05 PM   #9
LonestarROB
Patient # 312412

News
The Los Angeles Daily News is reporting that a trade between the Texas Rangers and Los Angeles Dodgers will be made in the next 24 to 48 hours. The trade will send Texas second baseman/utility player Frank Catalanotto to the Dodgers for minor league second baseman Joe Thurston. The Daily News said that Catalanotto is "the type of feisty offensive player the Dodgers have sought for their bench."

Old 07-14-2002, 11:25 AM   #10
Murphy3
Guru

Murphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond reputeMurphy3 has a reputation beyond repute

the dodgers DON'T have enough offensively for Cat to be sitting on their bench
Murphy3 is offline   Reply With Quote